Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bought from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

I am totally going to admit, I ordered this scent just for the name and was already determined to like it before I even got it in the mail, so this is one Vanatuar’s totally biased review. *g*

And now that I have the disclaimer out of the way, I do genuinely love this scent. In the vial, it’s a warm, rich amber with the other notes softer beneath the amber, and at least on me, that’s how it stays. I’ve worn this several times before writing this review, and Brisingamen morphs relatively little for me. The amber stays strong and heady for several hours and the other notes stay faint on the edges.

Edited by verbranden

In the bottle it's a warm, rich, slightly sweet amber. Wet the amber really comes to the fore. On dry down there's a floral element that comes out. Unfortunately, the amber fades quickly, leaving a pleasant sweet floral behind. It's inoffensive, but not something I'll be getting again.

Wet this was vague and pleasant and so soft. I've tested this once before and found it unremarkable. I tested it by itself this time so I could really pay attention to it. The dry down is worth it. Thick, rich gold amber, slightly spicy, very slightly floral.

hmm reading the reviews i expected something really sexy and gorgeous here. but i got a horrible sharp, medical, cheap perfumey type scent in the imp. same wet on my skin. it then turned to horrible sharp powder. not very sexy on me. :-(

imp: Myrtle and Carnation on a nice bed of amber softness

Wet On Me: More Amber than the flowers the moment it touches my skin.

Drying Down: This went to amber and stayed there. Much as I like amber, it tends to take over with its sweet softness and nothing else gets a chance.

Dry: Amber..All amber all the time. I think I'll rehome to someone whose skin does better with it.

Weirdly, I detect something almost medicinally menthol-like on application. I definitely get myrtle (or some kind of green/wood something) and the carnation is on the outer edge. It's nice but it is very different from any other scent I've tried.

I remember smelling this on the bf at my first and only PA will call.

It had been exquisite on him and sooo sexy but on me it's very blah. :(

Wet: Sharp, medicinal.

Drying: Soapy, cologny.

Dry: Florals are fighting back from soapishness but are failing miserably.

*pouts*

ETA: I may have to give this another go. I wore it to work and the scent seems to have improved (or my chemistry). It's still not a favorite but I actually kind of like it now.

Edited by Yoginispirit

Imp: Very medicinal-herbaceous....probably the myrtle.

Wet on Skin: ok... the ambers are showing up, more gold than green. Quite powdery-perfumey. Not really my style.

Drydown: Glittering gold antique necklace set with thousands of amber gems in flower patterns, but best adorned on an old venerable queen than a young ‘un like me. The florals almost bloom- but are overpowered by everything else, a hint of carnation and no apple blossom.

Note: The imp I tested is older (not sure exactly how old, but I am guessing at least a year, maybe several)...

In the Imp: sharp, perfumy/cologney scent - hiding any other aspects

Wet on Skin: there is a sharpness to this scent that seems like it might not be designed that way - I would be interested in comparing this old imp to a fresh one from the lab

While Drying: amber... slightly tangy... The Boy says 'grapefruit without the citrus, then apple blossom' ... smells slightly rosy to me, maybe a bit dusty - something makes me think 'little girl'... something else comes through toward the end… myrtle I think

After a Little While: After this goes through the introduction stage, the scent integrates; the sharp, discordant note from the wet stages is gone

Later: The Boy says it smells like a mainstream commercial scent, but he couldn't place exactly what it was; I think it may be a little too girly for me; unfortunately the carnation (one of the main draws for me) hides itself until several hours after application, and then I have to work at it to smell anything at all

Final Thoughts: This one was disappointing - I had high hopes, but so far it is nothing special on me. I may have to order a fresh imp and see if that works any better.

Brisingamen earns a 3.5/5 on my skin (would have been a 3/5, but The Boy likes it)

Usually blends with amber in them go powdery on my skin but this is an exception for me. The amber is the most dominant note, but it's almost a creamy scent. The carnation warms the scent up and makes this a warm, creamy, sweet blend. This is beautiful and sophisticated. I love it.

Amber steers clear of powder territory 90% of the time for me, but Brisingamen is HOLY HELL BABY POWDER, particularly when wet. I can't believe there isn't jasmine in here. But maybe it's the apple blossom and myrtle...

Anyway, it settles down pretty significantly after 15 minutes and the amber/spicy carnation combo result in something like a much more girly version of The Lion. It's that connection that keeps me interested, but it still has a perfumey edge.

maybe I burned my nose out already? Oh wait.. everyone said it takes the drydown for the ambers to come out. It did.

the apple blossom and myrtle dominate in imp and wet. However it's balanced, beautiful, glowing light amber and lady-like when dry. What a keeper!

Well, the man wasn't really trying to resist me anyway...

In the imp I noticed the apple more than when I was wearing it. On the skin this is very amber-y, with a hint of spicy floral from the carnation and sweetness from the apple. I didn't notice the myrtle as an individual note when I had it on. It's a warm and rich smell. Very sexy.

Good lasting time, too. I could still smell it at my wrists before I took my shower the next morning, and I didn't use THAT much.

Another one that has such potential, I relal can sense the richness here, but the ambers and their powdery notes just kill it for me. So sad. If it werent for the darn powder...

In the imp, and immediately swiped across my wrists, there's a dark green herbal scent for a minute. Possibly the myrtle?

That scent fades away, and what's left is a rich amber scent. And it's warm and soft amber, my favorite. I love it.

This is along the lines of the Lion and Haunted on me, where the amber is the most predominant note and I love it for that.

Brisingamen

In the imp it's a little bit astringent (the myrtle?) Wet on my skin, I'm mainly getting amber and soft florals, with a bit of spice from the carnation. The overall floral impression is soft and pretty. This is going a bit powdery on my skin, but it's still really nice, golden and soft. This will be going into my keep box, and possibly bottle list once I've tested it a bit more.

Another frimp from the lab. From the notes, I'm really scared to try this one. Amber is one of those notes that just goes a little ... um, perverted, I suppose, on my skin, and the fact that there are 5 amber's in this ... well, here goes nothing!

In the imp it smells like a cleaner of some kind. Not quite pine cleaner, not quite citrus ... but something mixed and in-between those two. I love carnation, and I'm getting just a hint of spice wet on skin, but there is still this cleaning solution over top everything that I can't quite place. It's not horrible - I just don't want to smell like I've been cleaning the bathtub for a few hours. Thankfully, it seems the amber's played nice and didn't end up smelling like an orgy.

Amber, amber, and more amber. And also amber, with a bit of amber.

I really wish I got anything else beyond the five ambers, because the apple blossom and carnation combo sounded like it might be lovely, but nope. It's certainly great for what it is, and it's thankfully not offensive or excessively powdery or old-lady at all. But amber's one of those things I need balanced out with something else, and nothing's really doing that here.

But it's another carnation scent to cross off my list, so there's that.

On me this is a cold, powdery, oddly stomach-turning green scent - maybe my skin making a mess of the myrtle? I don't get amber at all with Brisingamen. :( And I can't detect apple blossom or carnation either. All in all, this definitely didn't work out. Oh well, I'm glad I got to try it, and now I know to steer clear of myrtle!

Lots of amber all over, in the imp and on me. In the imp it's sharp (but not unpleasant), whereas on me (especially once it dries) it's softer, with a slight sweetness that I'm guessing are the florals, and a hint of spice - maybe the myrtle? This is my first scent with myrtle in it, so I'm not sure how it smells.

It doesn't last all day, but it sure smells nice while it does! Definitely a keeper.

This is really interesting. First-on, I can DEFINITELY smell a sort of sharpness, that I think is probably the myrtle. Then the amber starts to come out, and it DOES have a slightly powdery kick to it, but it's mostly just rich and rather heady. As it starts to go to drydown, it sweetens up a LOT, and ends with this BEAUTIFUL kind of creaminess. Mmmmmmm.

In Imp: Honeys and light fruity florals

On Wet: Deep honey, pollen, florals, powder

On Dry: amber and powder (baby powder-ish)

This scent is not for me, however the dry scent is kind of nice if you like the light powdery amber.

This is all amber, all the time, which is fine by me as amber and I have a little love affair going on. I probably won't get a bottle, though, because it fades much too quickly.

Based on what I'm smelling in the imp, I'm getting the carnation and myrtle here. Joy. On my skin, yep, carnation and myrtle and maybe something else in tehre but it's fighting like hell to even be able to get out. This will not end well, I think.