Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Dove's Heart

A gentle, healing love blend, often used to help mend a broken heart. Brings peace of mind, soothes the sting of loss, and aids in finding closure.

Dove's Heart-

In Bottle: Lightly lavender, in a good way.

Wet: A sour note. I'm wrinkling my nose.

Dry: No, I'm afraid I can't wait for a longer dry-down on this. It's that sour floral thing that happens so frequently on me.

Overall: Not for me. Edited by Shollin

ITB: Aquatic and slightly floral. Herbal too.

Wet: I. Hate. This. That judgement aside, I smell florals. Lillies maybe?

Dry: This smells sickly sweet. Lilacs, and lavendar and ick. This one isn't going to make it past 1 hr on me. It just has to go.

This is heavy on the lavender. In fact, I can pick out no other notes (but then my nose is in no way trained). I like it, and I'm going to get more to give to my mum.

I"m finding out that unless a lavender is tempered somewhat with say a vanilla or something to take the edge off, I just don't like it. So count me out of liking this blend. Lavender is supposed to be all this aromatherapy soothness and such but on me it's just a kick you in the head spicyness that isn't soothing at all.

Strong, sharp florals. A lot of the Voodoo blends end up as some variation on Pledge on me, and this one is heading in that direction. I think there's some vetiver in here. It's not as overwhelmingly Pledge-y as some of the others, though, so I think I may give it a second chance later.

In the imp: lavender and a floral background.

Wet: lavender and rose. Very pretty. Maybe I've found a rose blend that I can wear! O_o. Here comes the jasmine.

Dry: Jasmine has stomped the life out of any other notes in the oil. I am sad because this is such a pretty scent. :P

In the imp - very floral.

Wet - strong, unmitigated floral - smells very much like Yankee Candle's "Lilac" candle on me. I don't *like* that candle...

After 15 minutes - still smells like an almost single-note floral. Husband says "you smell like an old lady."

1 hour later - the scent has spread out a bit - other more green and aquatic scents are coming through, but at the same time it has started to take on a soapy quality...I smell like I washed my hands with an expensive hand soap.

I am afraid this one doesn't like me very much. Too bad - I had high hopes for this!

in vial: lavender and herbs

wet on skin: there's some kind of spice here, but not one i recognize. subtle herbs and lavender.

ten minutes: lavender soap.

an hour later: soapy soap soap. That is all. Even the lavender has disappeared under soap! Is that even possible?

Dove's Heart has a powdery sharp lavender scent, some other florals too, but I don't know what. To be honest I don't care for the scent and would not wear this as perfume, but I have found it to be powerful in meditation. Extraordinarily centering and calming. Very peaceful.

In my scent locket, this stayed sharp & astringent - nice scent but too sharp & very strong. I couldn't wear it for long, even though I wore it with the purpose of keeping me focused while working. It was distracting & I had to take it off.

On my skin, however, this morphed into a beautiful floral and lasted for hours! I can't pick out notes well but I did smell some lavender - I loved it. Most bpal I've tried fades on my skin very quickly and this is the first one that did not. It did have a calming effect on me - I took an afternoon catnap while wearing it. Very different from the locket.

Edited by gailprentice

I couldn't sleep last night, so I rifled through my imp box trying to find an appropriately soporific blend. Dove's Heart was the closest I had -- soothing an unquiet mind in order to get some friggin' shut-eye. I applied it to my wrists and temples, and within ten minutes was sleeping like a baby :P

I couldn't identify specific notes in this one (I'm bad with the voodoo blends generally) but there's something about it that reminds me vaguely of Come to Me -- a light herbal aquatic-ness that I actually really like. Dove's Heart is a bit too lavender-y for me to want to wear it as a scent, but it's not unpleasant to smell. On the whole it's a sweet smell, but with an herbal bitterness somewhere in there -- it's light, with relatively good throw and decent staying power, and dries down on me to a sweet powder skin scent that was still on my wrists when I awoke this morning. SO glad I had an imp of this lying around!

Edited by myoubi

My grandma passed away just over a year ago. Upon her request, my husband and I bought her house when she died. So I think about her a lot. I'm typing this in the room I used to sleep in when my parents were away. I'm currently in the process of installing a shower in the bathroom because my grandma never took showers - only baths. And she would only use one bar of soap - Sweetheart soap.

She scoured the earth to find those soft pink oval bars long after they'd been taken off the market. My first memory of her is of her giving me baths with Sweetheart Soap. The first gift I can remember her giving me was Sweetheart Soap. The first lecture she gave me was about how important it is to care for your skin and how Sweetheart Soap was so gentle.

I don't know what the notes or components are in this blend. What I do know is that Dove's Heart is Sweetheart Soap. It is the scent of my grandma. I miss her very much. I think of her everyday in this house... but her scent is fading, being replaced by ours.

Dove's Heart is much more than just a perfume oil to me. It's a million memories, it's comfort, it's a hug, it's a warm bath, it's part of my childhood.

Thank you Beth.

The scent is very light. It reminds me of lotion with a bit of floral in it. It is very comforting. It goes a little soapy and overall as far as the scent is concerned I liked it better in the imp than on my skin. Overall it is gentle. This came at a very good time for me. I'll have to see how this works out.

I was so sad that this didn't work on me at all. On me, the scent wasn't long-lasting at all, and it quickly became soapy.

I didn't swap it because it was the only swappable imp I had at the time, so I mixed it with my hair conditioner to see if I avoided the soapyness that way. The scent stayed just like in the imp: a lavender blend with a bitter, instead of a floral, undertone.

As far as Voodoo blends gone, I have felt Queen working reeeeeaaaaally well, and this one not working in me at all. A question of body chemistry, I guess.

Violets in the bottle, lily on my skin, and lavender on the drydown. None of these are scents I can wear, so it's most beautiful in the bottle, where it's a clear, herbal violet with a tinge of lavender and a trace of lily's brooding sweetness.

This is very peaceful and soothing to smell, a relaxing scent that I wouldn't hesitate to turn to if I could, in fact, wear the ingredients. Alas, I can't, and this turns to the smell of floral castile soap; both dusty and soapy.

In the bottle:

I smell this and think of doves- the name is very good. It's a beautiful light scent- I can smell lavender in there, but I can't indentify anything else.

On skin wet:

Lavender soap. I hope it begins to fade to just lavender, but I'm not having much luck lately with scents that turn to soap.

Dried down:

It hasn't faded- the soap smell is stronger now. Time to wash it off :P

Straight out of the vial, Dove's Heart just smelled relaxing, uplifting, comforting, to a degree I wasn't expecting even given that the top note is lavender. I get lilac also, which to me is a really happy association, and violet -- but it was almost weird, how very relaxed I felt wearing this. I was even able to listen to some fairly emotionally heavy (not "emo"!) music wearing this, and not feel gut-wrenched, more so a detached but empathetic compassion for the singer. This is just made of happy and yum, and I really think there's a bottle in my future. :P

I got this as a frimp and didn't realize it was a voodoo blend. I took a sniff of the imp and though, whoo, no, this is not going to work. In the bottle, it's very sharp and unpleasant, to my nose. I suppose that's the lavender. I'm not a big lavender fan.

I tried it on, and almost right away it dried to something sweet and light. I think the lavender faded and revealed more of the lilac. I can't pick out many notes, but it's a light, soft, sweet floral. It's very pretty and gentle. Right away it made me feel kind of happy.

Later, I found out it was a voodoo blend and I tried it on a day that my nerves were shot. I think it definitely had a soothing and relaxing effect, but it was also a bit melancholy. Obviously that could've just been me, but I think there really is something a little melancholy about this scent, which is appropriate for its intended use. [When you're broken-hearted, you don't want something overly perky.] Give it a try if you're looking for a relaxing, de-stressing sort of blend, or if you just got dumped. I was impressed with how well it worked as aromatherapy, but personally, I'll look for something with a slightly more cheerful character, for general de-stress purposes.

One thing I did really like about it is that it fades quickly to a soft, close scent that you can barely even smell right under nose. But it's still there. So, it has the effect it needs to have on you without broadcasting to the entire room, which is perfect. Because it fades soon, you could easily put some on to relax and layer another scent over it later.

Edited by naeelah

Mm. Definitely far too old for me to wear as a perfume; very strongly lavender/herbal/floral, as other reviews have said endlessly. However, it's a sweet, relaxing scent, and I plan to keep this on hand in the purse, just for those days when it's really, really necessary. It's... I'm trying to think of an analogy for the mood of this, and the best thing I can come up with is: it's not the friend who takes you out dancing after your breakup, it's the one who sits at home and watches John Cusack movies with you. I like it, though.

Out of the vial and wet on skin I immediately get a soft, powdery jasmine. Straight after rubbing it on my skin I get a lot of lavender which should make it a very calming blend. I am wearing it for its specific purpose today and I do hope it won’t send me to sleep as BPAL lavender-based scents are often wont to do (a very good thing, mind you!)! When I sniff my arm up close I get the lavender but from afar that soft, comforting jasmine. Will report later to see if the blend does have desired effect – I had good experiences with Wolf’s Heart so have good expectations for this. I think I might detect some rose in this too?

It didn’t quite have the effects I was after (I ended up crying) – except that my cat did take to guarding me overnight. Usually he sleeps at my foot but he slept by my chest and my parents told me it looked like he was actually keeping watch over me.

In the bottle: UGGGHHH, the stank, skunk flowers as I like to call them. Jasmine and paperwhites, lovely odor on top, skunk musk underneath. Guess which one my chemistry amps? Pepe Le Pew would have nothing on me. :D

Wet: yep, this is nasty funky skunky on me. There is hope that the other notes may get rid of these stinky flowers.

Dry down: skunk funk. There is hope that the other notes may get rid of these stinky flowers.

30 minutes: nope, no such luck. Musky skunk smell rules.

Conclusion: well, it would definitely help me mend my broken heart fast, just to get it off of me. :D But it is not Beth's blend's fault. It is my stupid chemistry!!!! :P <--- I am sending the villagers

Rating 1-5: 1.

In the imp: Is that orange blossom? Smells slightly soapy...

On the wrist: Very expensive soap. I still think there's orange blossom there, and probably some lavender. This reminds me quite strongly of Succubus, in fact, probably for the orange blossom/soap combination. As it settles, another floral comes through the soap; maybe just the faintest hint of rose?

One hour later: Still strongly soapy. The florals are still there but have muddied somewhat, making them harder to make out. It's developing a slightly muskiness similar to that of Libertine, possibly chamomile; that would make sense. Eh. Very nice soap is still soap.

Three hours later: 'Soap' has largely given way to lilies.

My best guess at the ingredients: orange blossom, lavender, lily, chamomile, maybe rose

I'm using this in a ritual to heal my heart and give me peace of mind.

I don't love the scent, but it's very pure and soft.

It made me cry, so while the scent isn't for me, it does what it should!