Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Dove's Heart

A gentle, healing love blend, often used to help mend a broken heart. Brings peace of mind, soothes the sting of loss, and aids in finding closure.

This smelled like a cleaner version of La Petite Mort to me. I think I smell mandarin and/or lavender--all very clean floral notes.
On my skin, I can def. smell mandarin or something similar. It's very strong. The scent doesn't really change as it fades on my skin.

My Impression: I agree with an earlier reviewer that said it was "pure lavender water" as I find it aquatic, clean and soothing. I am keeping my imp ...Thank you lab for yet another wonderful scent. :P

In the bottle - watery, damp and floral. A bit astringent like lavender water.

On - very herbal and greenish purple. I think of wild heather and swaying grasses on a grey and overcast day.

Dry - It disappeared very quickly, I can barely smell it after about 20 minutes of wear. I'm a little disappointed in Dove's Heart, as Love me goes strong all day long. Unfortunately it's a little too green and meek for me.. though it is a very pretty and wistful blend.

Edited by Firewaver

This one was a frimp with my last order, and when I first looked up the description I scoffed. "Oh, I won't need that!" I said to the world in general, and then promptly fell madly in love with a boy who lives 3000 miles away. Eheheh. Whoops. Since then I've used this oil several times when I've been really missing him... it's a really wonderful, comforting, melancholy blend. It doesn't make me perky, but it does make me feel better about feeling sad, if that makes sense.

It's floral and soft on me, lavender-ish and violety and just generally a light purple sort of smell. It does indeed smell like I imagine purity would, and is noticeable without being a slap in the face.

[edit] I noticed the top on the Imp was coming apart today, so I put on a new cap and swiped the old wand across my wrists a couple of times. I've thought this before, but this time I'm really sure-- there's something sweet/slightly foody in the drydown that anchors the florals. Creamy and yum... like vanilla without the vanilla smell, if that makes sense. Tonka, perhaps, or even a sweet floral like magnolia? And jasmine? Anyway, this one just keeps growing on me.

Edited by WidgetAlley

I have read the previous reviews and I SO agree with the description of the scent as 'compassionate'. It is a very calming, balancing mixture. I do so love my violet and I find it here, mixed with herbs and green things. I am not expert at picking out notes, so let's just say that Beth has made another astounding gift for us here. It has made me feel really good today- it's an intangible, but a noticeable 'uplifting' in my mood. No offense, but the voodoo blends usually do not thrill me, but I love this and want it with me always.

dovesheart.jpg

One more reason to love the voodoo blends just because they are beautiful scent (in addition to the other things they do). Dove's Heart is lavender, jasmine, vanilla and the "Voodoo smell" faintly in the background. It is great for those with anger issues, really calms down your urge to reach out and choke someone. At least it does for me. I should wear Dove's Heart at art openings, that would at least keep the Demon of Anger Due to Stupid Remarks and Deeds at bay. Sort of like your best friend councilling, "Slow down a bit and take your mind off it. It won't seem so enormous in the morning, you know."

For itself, it is just as pretty a fragrance as you could ask for. Very clean smelling, as I have noted it has a lot of lavender and smoothness. There is a bit of volitility because of the lavender in it, but that just makes me think it's penetrating your brain and getting to your "reptile brain".

Dove's Heart was a freebie from the Lab that I initially thought I did not need. I've been in a relationship for the past six years with the same guy---any heartbreak I have had is far in my past. But the Labbies always know best, don't they? Because in thinking about the purpose of this oil, I realized that loves from my past (and the heartbreak that came with them) were still very much a part of my life even though I didn't think about them on a daily basis. And then I thought about the family and friends that I have lost as well.

Dove's Heart is mostly lavender on me with what smells like vanilla or tonka and perhaps light rose. It's very delicate and calming. It makes me sleepy and there is nothing better for heartbreak than sleep! It is a very gentle blend. It's the equivalent of someone stroking my hair and telling me to sleep, sleep, tomorrow it will not hurt as much.

much too florally in the imp and upon application.....i love lavendar but unfortunately i don't get any of that....just really strong heavy florals that do not mix well with my chemistry....

i so wanted to love this one..... :P

In the bottle - soft green lavender

Wet on me - very faint slightly soapy lavender, with some smokiness in the background

Dry on me - again very soft lavender, very soothing, but it didn't last long.

I really liked this one - I wasn't sure at first as the lavender was a bit too strong on me. Once it had calmed down though - it calmed me down - I felt so relaxed and confident today, I had a really clear head. I think I will definately use this one when I am feeling down. I could smell it all day too which was a bonus!! Might have to keep my imp of this at work and order another one for home so I've got it for emergencies!!!! :P

This was a lovely frimp from the lab in my very first lab order. :D

In the imp, I get a light floral. On: a whiff of something clean. The only thing I can think to compare it to is deodorizer, but nice. Is that sweetgrass? I definitely can see why this is a calming blend. Very wistful and light. Dry: Florals are coming out more. I'm terrible at individual notes, but I do detect lavender.

And while I don't need the soothing right now, I have a very dear friend who does. I will be gifting her with this imp tonight. Thanks labbies! :P

In the bottle:

strongly herbal and pungent

On me:

Ick. This certainly isn't how I want to smell. It's lavender and other assorted herbs and flowers - but the lavender is very prominent. Usually I don't automaticaly hate lavender, but every once in a while lavender comes together with rose and makes this sort of diaper cream smell on me that I can't stand here. I don't know if there is rose in this or not, but I can say that I'm getting that same smell.

Final note:

I wouldn't wear this as a scent, but I am keeping the imp around to see if it does come in handy for it's intended purpose. I can see why it might be calming because of the lavender, so perhaps it will work fabulously for that :P

This one is all flowers to me, white ones, the bad kind ><

I haven't tried using this to ease any sort of pain or help with closure...I can't even put this on my skin. It's just too floral.

Off to swaps.

lavender? vanilla? wha?

my Doves Heart smells more like a rose. a softly blooming rose, layered over some of the components that are found in High John the Conqueror. no matter what it smells of though, it is soft and comforting. there's a green herbal supporting this, along with touches of lemon. the lemon and herbs are closer to the skin, and the rose softly envelopes the area in the air. kind of like a fluffy rose blanket.

i am sending it to a friend healing from a major loss in her life. i hope it turns out as lovely for her, as it does for me.

n.

Dove's Heart smells like rose to me, too. I get the white flowers too - I think they are the kind that go really soapy on me. And this one does, so I won't be keeping it...but I can totally appreciate the potential effect of this blend from smelling it. It's soft and sort of feathery, with a warmth and sadness to it. I can imagine it being comforting, if I needed comforting right now, and if it didn't have that thing that a lot of voodoo/floral blends have that makes it go really soapy on my skin.

sweet, innocent, clean and comforting. kind of smells like rain, and roses. it’s similar to Come To Me – they’re both soapy. but this is more calming and gentle. i don’t have a broken heart, but i do feel that it stops my mind from racing and makes me feel focused and relaxed.

I'm actually not getting any lavender from this one. It starts out smelling strongly of powdery violets and then dries down into a soapy lily blend :P. At least, I am assuming that it is lily that is making the blend go soapy.

Dove's Heart just ends up smelling like dish soap on me.

This is very pale, but calming. I'm wearing it to bed because I've been having sleeping issues again. It is floral and I could see how it could go a little soapy. It is very calming and my eyes are already getting heavy.

The notes I'm getting are lavender and possibly a little rose, but not a blaring rose. My body tends to amp up rose and its not doing it with this. It morphs a lot and now I'm getting a little bit of lemon.

I have some on my temples for bed.

I am truly touched to have received this oil as a gift-frimp from the person I bought "Black Cat" from. She had read some of my postings and on the imps tag wrote that "it seemed like something that might help." and she decanted it, specifically for me ~ which made me feel very cared for. BPAL'ers are just great, I tell you. Always looking out for each other ~ even when we haven't met in real life...

Anyhow ~ I am truly touched regarding how this came my way and I thank my benefactor, very much.

In the imp ~ White, light florals... very, very pretty.

Wet ~ The scent of violets being crushed under foot on a dampened path.

On the dry down ~ this is just lovely. It does have an old-fashioned "feel" to it... in that the scent of floral is very strong, yet is mixed with a powdery smell ~ not unlike my grandmother's fancy dusting powder she used to let me use when I wanted to feel grown-up and special.

I will be trying this oil during meditational times and will also utilise it for it's intended magical properties, as well.

It is a lovely, though somewhat forlorn blend ~ I could see it being perfect for mending of a broken heart work.

Edited by BlackDahlia

This was a Lab freebie in my last order. I don't tend to order the voodoo blends, because I don't use scent for ritual work and the descriptions don't give any information about the ingredients.

First impression: Oh-oh, this is going to be too floral.

Fresh on: Yes, very floral. Lily of the valley? Maybe gardenia, or magnolia, or white violet. Strong, light-colored flowers with a hint of green underneath.

Drydown: Continues to be floral, with a slight powdery undernote. Staying power seems pretty good; I only put on a little, but I could still smell it fairly clearly after 7 or 8 hours.

Bottom line: Not an unpleasant scent per se, but very much not me. Swap pile for this one.

at first: clean, but heavy. herbal, but not too dark.

on: a soapy floral. i should also mention that i can definitely foresee a situation that will cause me a lot of pain in the not-too-distant future, so i'm hoping this will be a fabulously comforting scent for me.

1.5 hours later: soft. maybe lilies or some other white flower. very pretty and calming. still a hint of that soapy scent.

2.5 hours later: soft and peaceful.

overall: after a bit, this is definitely very calming. hopefully, i won't really need to use it for a long time.

Another frimp from the lab:

Dove's Heart is a sweet jasmine and lavender blend on me.

After 30 minutes or so, it hints at a bit of citrus/lemon... Very calming and pretty.

The jasmine is a little too strong for my tastes, but deffinately a keeper.

ok... my hormones are out of whack at the moment, but here goes...

I cant pick out the notes, it's soft and sweet, florals, I thought I was smelling rose and herbs but ymmv, like a blanket wrapped around my shoulders, utterly comforting.

I think this will go in my next order.

Oh, my gods and goddesses, I love this!

I decided to try it this morning because I was feeling a little sad after a breakup, and was surprised to find that it improved my mood almost immediately. I have a sensation of being enveloped in (and buffered by) a soft cosmic hug, and that slightly painful, tight feeling around my heart just went away completely. I’m not getting the sadness that some people report – just comfort. The scent is a light floral, but there’s a kind of buttery effect, too – it’s not in the scent, but a sensation in the back of my throat as if I’ve eaten something wonderful with lots of butter in it.

A gentle and effective blend – I can’t seem to get enough of it. I am sitting with my wrist in front of my nose, taking long, deep breaths. I will definitely need a big bottle of this.

:D

----------

Update: I tried this again, and it's a little different from the first time, at least as far as the scent is concerned, This time I have a pretty strong herbal lemony component - lemon verbena? lemon squares with tea in the herb garden? - still with the buttery sensation, and most definitely the aura of comfort.

Surprisingly, Dove's Heart also seems to be counteracting my seasonal allergic head, which was miserable earlier. Truly awesome. (Announcer's voice: This observation is just an observation, and is not to be taken as a prescription or a claim of medical efficacy.)

Dove's Heart is remarkable, quite possibly priceless. :P I have a big bottle now. I will probably want a bigger one.

Edited by celtimor

Dove's Heart

In the imp: a gentle dewy floral-I think lavender is the main note.

Wet on skin: lavender and a soft dewy floral note-probably lily or lily of the valley.

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! This is a gentle, soft, floral scent. The note I identify most is a subtle lavender, but I think that I also now get rose as well…yup, it's rose! A deep, rich red rose note. There's also a floral note which I think could be lily of the valley, or calla lily, it's a dewy white floral scent. Maybe some green notes in there as well.

After a while: eventually this becomes a dry rose scent. the scent now on my skin is that of deep, dried rose petals with perhaps a hint of geranium, and maybe some lily of the valley or hyacinth as well.

The scent becomes drier after a few hours, like a mix of dry petals. It's nice, but I preferred the wet-just dry stage.

Verdict: this is a pleasant floral scent-in here I smell lavender, rose and lily of the valley. It's a gentle scent, soft and soothing, but the rose adds a depth and richness to the scent, whilst the lily is dewy and pale.

As for effects-I haven't got a broken heart at the moment nor have I fallen out with a lover, but I found that I felt very emotional shortly after wearing this-not sure if it's the oil doing it's thing or what, but I felt quite sensitive, almost tearful, and I wanted hugs. It's a nice scent but I think I'll be swapping this off because purpose wise, I don't really need it just yet, but one day it may come in handy.