Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Lemon Verbena

Lemon verbena is a scent I associate with nearly every vacation my mother and I have ever taken together. She loves sand and sun, I love spas, so we combine and go to beach resorts with good spas. Every single Caribbean and West Indies spa I've been in has smelled like lemon verbena, so this very true single note pleases me greatly!

Lemon pledge, but green and crisp, with an almost artificial sweetness. Oddly enough, those notes are absolutely what the scent should smell like - this is the real thing, and it fades down to a light, boisterous, and sweet lemon pie scent.

Not the greatest staying power, but citrus scents don't retain their crisp, vibrant nature as long as others; considering that, I'm very pleased with the longevity of this one.

Mmmm. Lemon verbena. I adore the scent, had a lemon verbena plant before I managed to kill it off. This has the sweet lemon underpinned with green, is very crisp and delicious and uplifting. I don't do well with lemon (the fruit itself) fragrances as they're a bit too clean for me, but this is lovely. It lasts tolerably well for a lemon scent--three hours, and is barely detectable in the fourth. But it's one that's a delight to touch up. Chemistry does matter here--the first couple times I applied, I got a very true lemon verbena, but now, in my special time of month, I got a strong whiff of lemon candy that is fading into lemon pledge mixed with something slightly acrid. Mot horrible, but less than pleasant. Damned female plumbing. I don't think I'll spring for a 5ml of this, but I may get imps periodically, for wearing alone or for layering.

When I still had a backyard to garden in, I used to grow lemon verbena. I'd snip off leaves of it, and put it into vases with lavender or rose, just to make the bouquet smell that much yummier.

First Impression

Lemon and green. This is great! It doesn't smell like true lemons -- not the rind, nor the juice, nor the zest -- but just like a stem of freshly snipped lemon verbena. It's got that slight citrus smell, but it's not true citrus. More like the sticky sap of a stem, mixed with the oils of the crushed leaf. Mmmm...

Wearing It

This stays pretty much true to the scent out of the vial, gaining a bit more strength in the greener half of the scent. Yum.

Definitely like this one. I'm kicking myself for not getting a 5ml of June Gloom when I had the chance -- all of the reviews say that it smells like lemon verbena, and the description only said florals -- but if this is one of the notes in June Gloom, I wish I'd gotten it. Either way, I'll keep this imp around for when I want to feel like I've had a day in the garden.

My first review ... eek!

On application, I get a strong lemon scent which pretty quickly fades into a lovely lemon/green scent. I've smelled lemon verbena but not recently enough to make a decent comparison. It's a crisp, fresh, "happy" scent. A sort of energetic scent ... it gives me a bit of get up and go. It isn't terribly long-lasting, as has been noted ... gone by three hours for me too. I don't mind. This is a lovely scent.

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Tarted, won in Ebay auction

I only received a few drops of this but it was enough to sniff, and I was quite happy to as I have never smelled Lemon Verbena before! This smells lemony, yes, but there is an underlying earthiness to it. Where Lemongrass reminded me of lemon meringue pie, the Lemon Verbena reminds me of something fresh and clean. It has a detergent sort of smell to it, and it makes me think of a fresh house, after a spring cleaning!

First on, this smells like some sort of lemon cleanser (that I actually like), but with a hint of something green/herbal. It smells rather fresh and uplifting. Citrussy, but not sharp.

In the drydown this singlenote starts to sweeten up a bit, but the green is really coming out more. It's like pulling up a handful of herbs and green grasses and then squeezing a lemon over them. It makes me think of spring... and wish that winter weren't coming on so quickly.

Lemon Verbena is a very light scent on me, I couldn't smell it at all after 2-3 hours. It's rather nice though. I'll probably hold onto my imp.

Lemon Verbena - I tested Lemon Verbena at the same time I was testing my Lemongrass SN. I was really surprised that the lemon verbena is significantly more herbal in quality than the lemongrass. The Lemon Verbena is so herbal that it reminds me of the smelling the essential oils in the aromatherapy aisle at Wild Oats. Now that I've smelled Lemon Verbena SN, I understand why I (someone who doesn't like lemon notes) don't have any problems with BPAL blends containing Lemon Verbena -- it's definitely more herbal than lemony. It doesn't have a "lemon Pledge" scent to at all. The throw is a little below average, but its staying power is above average.

Mmmm, wonderful green lemony scent. I have a lemon verbena plant in my backyard, and this is *it*. Absolutely perfect.

This one starts out with a strong lemon citrus blast with a 'green' plant-like component. As it dries, it definitely is more 'plant', and ultimately on my skin dries to almost a lemon powder.

:/