Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
k00kaburra

Tuberose

Tuberose Single Note

In bottle: Tuberose is spicy and sweet rose. It is still a relatively heavy fragrance, but compared to a regular rose single note it is creamy and light.

On me: It seems to be a very delicate floral to me, white with the slightest hints of spice. On the skin it is very true to the bottle's scent, but the heat of the skin warms the scent like the sun would warm the petals as it shines down on them.

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Tarted, won in Ebay auction.

i am so surprised by this scent! I thought for some reason that Tuberose would be more of an earthy, woody rose, but it is sweet and beautiful. Just gorgeous!! I am always surprised at how many different rose scents that there are, and how much I love each and every one of them! :P

120323803.jpg

120323810.jpg

Polianthes tuberosa. Polianthes dates back to the Aztecs in Mexico who used the essential oil of the plant to flavor chocolate. Today the oil is a key ingredient in perfumes. Tuberose is a Mexican flowering plant belonging to the agave family, grown as a sweet-smelling greenhouse plant. It has spikes of scented white flowers like lilies and smell a bit like gardenia.

BPAL blends with Tuberose as one of it's ingredients:

Delight, Dreamland, La Belle Au Bois Dormant, Languor, Muse, Nocturne, Sed Non Satiata, Spectre, Stardust.

In the bottle

Such a pretty creamy sweet white lily smelling floral.

On

I can't compare this to any of the other floral single notes. It's different and individual yet it's not weird smelling in any way, it smells tropical, fruity and almost coconut like. That's weird but it smells somewhat like a suntan lotion I used to use when I was a teen in the 80's. Can't remember what the name of it was, it didn't have alot of crap in it and had the word tropics in it...that's kind of what this floral reminds me of. I like it alot and I didn't think I would like Tuberose for whatever reason.

30 minutes

Smells cleaner now that it is drier. Almost Snow White-ish. It's a creamy, nutty floral now almost almond-y on my skin but more soapy and less foody.

Throw:

more than average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

Starts out a tropical smelling creamy floral.

Morphs somewhat into a suntan lotion coconut tropical floral smell which is better than I'm making it sound actually.

Turns into a cleaner, soapier (but still tropical) floral.

Has a bit better than average staying power as it's been about 40 minutes now and I still smell it without having to hunt for it on my arm.

PS. lol, my husband says it smells like Jergen's skin lotion.

Purchase again?

Not to wear as a floral I don't think, as there are so many more florals I like better, but this is right up there and I'd certainly use it for blending as it would lend an ethereal vibe in that way.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

at first: a super sweet, wet rose.

on: very, very sweet. rosy, but not perfumey.

half an hour later: sweet, wet rose.

1.5 hours later: sweet and powdery. not really floral.

3 hours later: sweet and almost candy-like.

overall: a pretty, sweet, candyish rose.

I'm not big on rose; any scent with a hint of rose is automatically eliminated as a scent I could like. Therefore, I expected tuberose, since it seems to be related to rose, to be a scent that, while I don't actively dislike, I definitely don't like either. I was pleasantly surprised to find that tuberose, unlike rose, is soft around the edges, and, like grrrlennyl said, almost candy-like. It's ethereal and light, pink and sweet. I suppose I can see how this is related to rose, but it's about as related to rose as it is related to plumeria, or a tropical scent that wafts a great deal. Tuberose isn't a regal note like rose is, but instead, is inviting; tuberose is a well-mannered young woman from the 1920s who easily invites confidences.

I wish that tuberose were sweet, creamy, or candy-like on me as it is on other people. Tuberose on me doesn't even smell like rose, though, it actually smells more like opium poppy to me than anything else :P

On me, tuberose is a glaringly sharp white floral. In blends, it reminds me of the sharp chemical twang that is in cheap hairspray... but, in singlenote form, this has a bit of a soapy edge to it. Any creaminess or sweetness is smothered by this strangely sharp and perfumey edge.

I just can't wear this floral note at all :D

Very recognizable. It's a fragrant, white/pinkish floral, kinda shrill that I remember from Titania. It doesn't go to hairspray on me, but does end up smelling like some sort of high class shampoo.

This is very creamy/sweet/floral on my skin. It is instantly recognizable from some of the scents I've tried. It does smell rather "clean" for my liking, but an elegant and sophisticated "clean" nonetheless.

I don't think I really knew what tuberose smelled like before smelling this. It's similar to the fruit blossom scents that make me think of haircare products, but it's a little more lush than fruit blossoms, more like gardenia maybe? A little woodier, too. I don't know that I'd wear this on its own, but I like it blended with other notes.