Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

From Sin & Salvation

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

Again, this perfume is perfectly aligned with its description on the BPAL site. It is the scent of leather, hot, passionate and very sexual. I insisted that my husband wear this on the night of our second honeymoon, if you get my point. 8)

Edited by Shollin

Initial Impression:

Yes that's leather all right. Very authenic . This smells of whips and cruelty. You'd be wary of a man wearing this, but lust after him all the same.

After Wearing It:

It's dangerous and sexy in a James Dean kind of way. Unfortunately, I couldn't pull this scent off. It's just too masculine for me! Leather's a nice smell, but I don't really want to walk around smelling of it.

Final Thoughts:

Too bad I don't have a man to dab this on.....

My husband wears DeSade, and the scent goes so well with him that I can't tell the difference anymore between him wearing it and not wearing it - it's like a custom scent for him.

It smells like the inside of a well-worn leather jacket, without any of the tanning chemical smell. Plus there's something sweeter that somehow makes the base notes of the leather smell stronger, but not overpowering. And there's a hint of semen smell. Not in a gross way, though.

This is a great scent for a guy who used to wear a lot of black in high school, and was maybe in a metal band, and certainly lived in his combat boots. Its for the guy that still makes you a little nervous to be around.

On me, however, it does NOT smell good. It smells like chemicals and rot on top of a fake leather smell. But when he wears it I can't stop sniffing at his neck and I hug him a whole lot more than usual just so I can smell it on him! It's a very magnetic, sexy scent.

ETA: Mr. L stopped wearing this during the summer months, thinking it was too overpowering, but the community response has not been good. Some of our friends have even resorted to asking him "when will you smell like YOU again?"

Edited by ladylatemar

:P I may uh ... uh ... need a little time alone to ... erm ... contemplate ... this scent. Where is the cowboy when I need him? I never give him gifts, but I'm making an exception and ordering this immediately.

Manly perfection in a bottle. Damn!

This might make a good replacement for my Bvlgari Black, even though it lacks the tea note. The smoky part is still there, and this isn't chemically the way Black is ... but I don't know it it will be safe for me to go out in public smelling this all day long.

Edited by jj_j

at first: leather, all right. definitely leather.

on: ummm...yeah. leather. that's all. it's...ok. i don't hate it, but...i definitely don't like it, either.

overall: this scent is so incredibly not me that it isn't even getting a full review. i'm sure it would smell fabulous on the right person. unfortunately, that person is obviously not me.

I love the smell of leather, love that new-coat smell, so I was hoping this would be that scent in a bottle. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

On me, it doesn't smell like leather at all. Not even remotely leatherlike. It smells acrid and chemically. It also gave me a headache every time I sniffed even a tiny bit of it, so I'm glad I only purchased a sample and not a full bottle.

Everyone else's experiences with it sound delightful and I wish mine had been more like that :P

First smell of this right after I opened it was "hmmm ohhh leather" then had my SO put some on and it was wonderful. Has that manly leather, the dark brooding bad boy smell to it, his take on it is "it smells like my new leather jacket" :D .

One of our good friend "borrowed " for her boyfriend it since my SO prefers Jack and a few other scents on here more.

A week latter she call me to tell me "this scent" made sure "we did not leave the house" after he got home and he tried it on.. :P and a few nights after that. She is in love (or maybe just lust) with how it smells on him.

Leather. Leather. Leather. Let me wipe the drool off my lip and try to collect my thoughts. Mmmmm...leather.

I'm so glad I don't have a man to slather this on at the moment. He wouldn't be able to come up for air for days. :D :P

De Sade starts off strong as the crack of a bull whip and softens down to suede with light pepper undertones.

Be warned...De Sade will turn a 95 pound (soaking wet) weakling into a romance novel cover model carved out of wood with one drop.

Surround yourself with candlelight, mahogany and good Scotch and let De Sade do the rest. You wont be disappointed!!!!

This is a wonderful late night scent and can be worn year round but especially in the winter.

So open your shirt, stick out your chest, let your hair blow in the wind and exude testosterone and confidence that is De sade.

Thank you,

--Steve--

This is another one that I got through a sweet/generous/loving swap, and I'm really glad I got it. I've never actually read any De Sade (it's on my list), so what really attracted me to the scent was the description -- I adore the scent of my leather jacket, so...

First Impression

Okay, this stinks. Not horribly, but enough that I don't want to sniff it from the bottle. It's got this really pronounced chemical scent that reminds me of the leather shops in the local malls, where the scent of unworn leather mingles with all of the cheap perfume shops next door.

Wearing It

Much better! I am *so* glad that I took the time to put this on! Right away it fades into a soft, worn leathery scent. It smells just like a leather jacket that you've worn for so long that it half smells like you; so comfy that it could be your second home. Weird that De Sade is such a comforting scent....

I got to try this onto to boys today, also (yay me!), and I just have to say that this is the *best* scent ever! It smells delicious, and would work really well for layering also. I could just imagine throwing this on with Lear or Azazel for a really cologne-y sort of scent that had just that touch of derelict/bad boy to it... Mmmm.... Definitely keeping this one around.

Lasting Power

I only put on a little, but Dave (the second guy I convinced to slather himself up) put on a ton! My little touch of oil has lasted a while, but really faded out about an hour after I put it on. Dave's skin held onto it a bit longer, but it also faded pretty quickly. Once it's faded, though, the scent stays at the same level for a very long time. So it's a more gentle sort of leather scent.

Hmmmm addictive! Like shoe cream, that scent you have to stick your nose in! Very nice, not to wear a a perfume to work or anything but just sniffing to comfort yourself

I managed to get my Hubby to try this on earlier today... and he might have been a touch generous with it, if you catch my drift!

It was actually a bit overpowering and had an edge to it... almost the way a burnt scent -feels- rather than smells. It didn't make me think of leather, just of getting away from my stinky husband! :D

A few hours later he was getting ready to go run out to the corner store and grab some milk, and I remember noticing that he no longer had a stinky-aura and being quite glad! Then he leaned forward to give me a quick kiss goodbye...

he smelled amazing. Sexy. Like himself but more masculine, if that's possible. I'm not sure that I remember what happened after that, but we were tired, content and snuggling in bed! :D

It still didn't smell of leather, but it's certantly something that I'll have him wear again! Somehow, though, I think I might apply it myself! :P

In the Bottle: Oh *sniff* how sexual! *sniff* Warm leather *sniff* in a crowded room *sniff* with your pulse *sniff* racing and your *sniff* temperature rising *sniff* and you're squirming *sniff* to try and *sniff* hide the fact that *sniff*....Mmmmmmm!

On Me: This is everything that I wanted Iago to be! WOW! What a sexual scent! And so masculine and strong! ooooH! I can't wait to try it on the hubby when he gets home!! Well...when we get back home. I SO can't wear this all day. This would be so out of place at the Phil Colllins concert tonight...but I can certainly walk around the house in it and douse him in it tonight.

Even if he doesn't like it, *I'm* getting a big bottle of this. Of course, I may wear my hubby out before the night is out! :P

Wow.

Ok, I was really looking forward to trying this on my husband. It was nice and leather-jackety on him at first, and I wanted it to be more. It wasn't.

So, I brought it to work on a whim with some other imps and tried some on myself. *faint* I love so many of the BPAL scents, but this is the first one that I had a purely physical reaction to. Sex! I smell like leather and smoke and hot sex, and I can't wait to get home and put this reaction to some good use! Oh, why did I put this on at work! :P

Big bottle for me. Oh, yes.

Kind of sharp and acrid in the bottle, this is definitly leather on the skin. It's not old worn leather, it's sharp and hard like a pair of sturdy lace up, spike heeled boots. Unfortunately this isn't something that's really me and I prefer soft, buttery leather smells to this sort so I'm not really throwing it at Jake either. off to swaps with this one, as intriguing and dead on as it is.

I love this scent a billion times more than I thought I would. It is a rather harsh leather, as many others have said, but for me, it is the only scent I wear when I need to be in a "kick ass" mood. It makes me feel strong, no nonsense, and a little wicked. It is perfect, it is unique, it is unadulturated by sweetness or spice, and it is most definitley a keeper.

amazing! it smells just like a leather jacket or old leather ottoman. Not my cup of tea, but amazingly dead on with fresh clean leather smell!

Edited by Lucretia

I agree - this smells completely and solely (no pun intended) - of leather to me.

Not old, smokey, sweaty leather, but fresh out of the box leather.

I don't get any other scents from it, either in the vial or wearing it.

It came across as way too singular and masculine for me, but a (male) co-worker

came over as I was sniffing my latest 4 or 5 imps laying on my desk and this

was way his favorite.

So I think this may just be one for the boys.

In the imp: This does not smell like leather to me at all. It gives me visions of bright white light- blinding light.

Wet: No leather. I have no idea what is going on with this oil. It seems like cleaning chemicals with something I can't place. I am once again placing my faith in the lab and leaving this on.

Dry: (less than 2 hours) This scent did not last on me. I used more than I normally would of a new oil and I can't smell any of it now.

WHEE! My very first BPAL experience!

First impression: SMOKE. Like campfire smoke. It reminded me of an old cowboy movie, with leather saddles and sweaty horses at the end of a day. Very masculine in the bottle.

On me: The leather comes through! I want to eat my hand. I am HAULING my boyfriend over and slathering him in this!! On me, it gives me a kind of, "I am not A bitch, I am THE bitch, and that's MISS BITCH to you!" feeling.

All in all, I love it.

~Diamond~

I bought this in a bottle for my boyfriend based on the description. I've tried Severin on my skin and I really took a fancy to it, and I dabbed a little on to my wrist of De Sade to compare.

De Sade smells good... leather, but also has that hint of smoke early on that Severin has to me for some reason. This goes away after a bit, leaving me with a leather that's sharper than in Severin, but still a bit soft on my skin. It's very yummy and comforting.

I have to wait until the holidays to dash this onto the boy. But it will be lovely on him, I'm sure. I must, MUST wean him off of that Eternity bottle! If he doesn't wear it, though, I certainly will.

-doreen

In the bottle: That's leather all right. Not the soft smell of my leather coat, either, but the way the leather shop on the town square smells. The way it smells as it goes through each process.

Wet: Very full-bodied leather. It doesn't smell unpleasant in general. It just doesn't really suit me. I'm probably more of a Whip or Wanda girl as I want something lighter in my leather smell. This would be wonderful on the boy, though, as it's a pretty masculine scent.

Dry down: Leather with a slightly spicey kick. Again, I feel that this is much too masculine for me, but it conjures images of cowboys in chaps riding on horses and making gruff noises as they spite tobacco out of their mouths.

Dry: Very strong leather. This scent remains true throughout. Very strong and dark and masculine with something at the edge that is a little spicey and exotic. I don't want to wear this, but I do want to slather it on the boy and bask in the smell of it.

I'm surprised I hadn't reviewed this already -- I've had a 10mL around for months.

De Sade is fresh smoky leather. Not soft suede or calfskin gloves, but serious leather. Corset-weight leather.

Not for casual wear.

Origin:

I got an imp of this from Lucretia. :D

Preconceived:

I'm learning that I absolutely adore leather scents lately, so De Sade is really one that's had my attention as of late (plus I love the name), so I'm really hoping it works for me or, even better, for me and the boy. :P

First sniff:

Mmm, this is the leather note I loved in Hellfire. I really like this smell; there's something both sexual and sexy about it in a way that really pushes my buttons. I have a tendency to associate leather and sex, so De Sade is a very sexy scent for me. I have a feeling this would smell amazing on a guy, too. :D

Wet on skin:

I have no idea how anyone could trap the scent of sweaty leather in a perfume, but De Sade is the proof that it can be done. Initially, De Sade goes on very strong and almost chemical-smelling, but it mellows immediately into a delicious well-worn leather scent that's as reassuring as it is sexy for me. I associate the smell of leather with bondage and bondage is, for me, about the reassurance that comes with knowing that you can't fight and don't need to make any decisions and, for someone like me, that's a wonderful feeling indeed. De Sade evokes all those feelings in me and I feel...content wearing this as well as finding it incredibly sexy.

Dry down:

De Sade is probably the first perfume I've ever worn, BPAL or otherwise, that becomes a natural part of the way I smell rather than a veneer over top of it. I love this. It's sexy, bold and unflinching but at the same time comforting, natural and, on me, anyway, submissive smelling. I have a feeling this is one that adapts to the wearer and has a chameleon-like ability to be all things on all people.

The bottom line:

The perfect leather scent. Sexy but comforting, bold but chameleon-like. I'm in love. :D

pure. fucking. leather. it actually kind'f grosses me out. maybe this would be nice for layering purposes, but i really just don't want to smell like leather at all.

i had about 1/4th of an imp of this a long time ago, and needed to sterilize some extra imps for decanting purposes. it took me SO long to get the smell out. i didn't want to waste the oil, so i dumped the remainder of the imp on my grandpa's wrists. the entire house smelled like leather for three or so days, and all of us were pretty grossed out by it. this would be totally nice for a leather-lover, but i have issues with smelling like dead cow skin. this is also one of those imps that stalks me. the lab always gives it to me as a gimp. thanks, lab, but i don't think i'll ever learn to like this one. :P