Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

Of course I had to try this frimp out immediately on my boyfriend, it smells stunning on him. He even likes it, that's a plus. On me it has the same authentic leather tone, but much lighter and sweeter. A more feminine leather, how lovely :P

Edited by porcelain

Lab frimp, and one I passed by since I was wary of straight leather being something I wouldn't like.

Not so! In the imp it's almost sweet, but hits the skin with authority - without being quite as overbearing as Highwayman. This is very new, very shiny leather.

While it's not a bottle for me, I'll hang onto the imp - I can see this might be a nice one for layering when I want something to have a bit more bite.

Nice! :P

In The Vial / On Wet / On Dry: This is the most constant single note ever. It is leather. The thick, black leather of biker shops and sexual accoutrement. I bought an imp of it for one reason and one reason only. The scent of leather turns me on in a big way. ... ... so I've worn this once and spent most of the day uhm-- in my happy place, which was actually not very happy, because I couldn't go to my happy place. It's true, lovely leather and I want to rub my boy down with it and shag him blind. So yes, it is true to it's scent and the purpose of pleasure edged with pain.

If i hide if i scurry under the piles of clothes in the darkest corner with the chill of the wood floor against my cheek if i wrap in his thick heavy old leather with the road rash on it and years of memories and sweat and dirt and grease and if my cats crawl in with me and we hiss and lock the door against the world curled up in this black cool fog that is everything and nothing and if i am me and a rage of woman if i smile not a nice smile not at all but a mean smirk and my dark eyes eat you if i walk the nights and drink the drink and am a ghost a ghoul dripping in my sex- this is De Sade.

This is my smell.

i thought it was an ashtray of old cigarettes when first i smelled this vial….vile….ha - no not really but so reminiscent of something….something….oh its me! Something i forgot someone i let get lost…..now she wont leave me she is me and this scent is me.

This is leather. Not cigarettes but the smell from days past of dirty crazy wild boys and their drink and cigs and smoke and fast loud old cars with leather seats and sex smells.

i want myself when i put this on…..i want to be able to be me and take myself….i want to give myself all my lust….this is what this scent is to me….i don’t want to put it on anyone or anything….i don’t want this on him…..i lust him fine…..i don’t want this on her…..she is my soul-love…..i don’t / won’t share a drop….this is mine this is me….i want many rivers of this……to bathe in…..i want this to sweat from my skin….

If i wear this always I will never be a wimp to anyone. I will kick ass and scratch out eyes and laugh cold and lusty and loud.

Only sadness is this fades so rapidly on me.

This scent has saved me. Found me. Ravaged me. I am reborn.

Thank you.

Possible the most useless review ever written….

Dry with a sharp edge. Not strong at all, just kind of sits there waiting to be sniffed. Kind of a cigarette smoky. Not as bad, but not great, either.

On me, it's sharp leather all the way. Fresh stuff--more like walking into a leather shop than putting on a comfortably worn leather jacket or flumping on a leather couch.

Waited for a couple of hours, and couldn't pick up any changes--on me, it just sits there. I might wear it if I needed to smell like leather, but that's more of a special effect than a perfume. Like Bordello (for me), it's in the same room as me, and we've just got nothing to say to each other.

Love and coffee,

Frances

I was afraid to get this because I'm not sure if I wanted to smell like raw leather. But I had to get it, because I LOVE the Marquis. I am so glad I did. I love it. It doesn't smell like pure leather, it smells like warm, worn, slighty sweet leather. It reminds me a lot of the pirate scents, like Jolly Roger.

:P

Edited by Poisons Sanity

Bottle: Almost no smell.. and then a bit acrid when I sniffed too hard. bwha?

Wet: It.. smells very vaugly of leather.

Dry: Hm. I'm getting a bit more of the leather, and it's kinda sweet.

Verdict: I'm going to hang onto this imp for a bit.. not sure about it.

From the imp to well and truely dry this barely changes at all on me, just softens a bit. This is definitely straight out leather, pure and simple.

Now I like leather, but this is perhaps a little too much leather for me. However my partner likes leather on him and rather liked it on me, so I'm pretty sure he'll take this imp off my hands quite willingly.

And then maybe I can get my Loviator imp back from him!

First of all... let me say that I love the scent of leather.

Then let me say, that De Sade is totally leather!! It's really really really sexy and I can't wait to try it on my boyfriend! >:P

If you like this, try Jolly Roger! :D

Oh god, get it off of me!!!

*slathers self with gluttony*

Ahhhhh.... that's better.

So I love the scent of leather...high quality shoe store type smell, but I do not get to indulge that love much, seeing as I'm vegetarian. In the bottle this had that sort of bite, but, over that, something nauseating and industrial.

When I put it on it only got worse. I couldn't stand it long enough for the dry down. I was reminded of being on exhaustively long car trips, the smell of a car's seat and the feeling of aboslute about-vomit-ness. I scrubbed. It still wouldn't come off. I went for the kitchen sink and used dish soap and the rough side of a dish sponge to no avail. So this has staying power, but, for me at elast, that's all it has going for it.

Wet: Mmm... smoky leather.

Drydown: As it dries, the smokiness becomes more pronounced.

Dry: Delicious smoky leather.

Overall: De Sade clings closely to the skin. While the scent is utterly masculine, it is incredibly sexy on my skin. I'd expect nothing less from the Marquis. This scent is like pure pheromones. Mmm... I need a bottle.

The leather note in De Sade is similar to the one in "Black" by Bulgari (which was a favorite of mine for several years). Similarly, I don't find that this scent so much smells like black leather as it is evocative of black leather, especially when wet.

As it dries, De Sade goes through three distinct phases on my skin: it is smoky at first, and then it smells very similar to AIRS "China Moon" incense (which is described as "exotically vibrant musk"), and then it finally dries down to a soapy, just-stepped-out-of-the-shower clean smell with an underlying sweetness. I had several friends sniff me after I had been wearing it for a few hours, and they all commented on how clean and fresh the scent was.

It's not as leathery as I had hoped it would be, but I still really like it.

Edited by Apple

ohhhhhhh!

this may be my new favorite.

its leather all right, and i swear i can smell quickening pulse underneath, an essence of arousal.

my new current seduction blend: de sade with the tiniest smidge of well-aged debauchery.

Imp: Leather and burning leaves.

Wet: Stronger leather and burning leaves, with an underlay of shoe polish still in its can (which actually fits with the leather, so that's not necessarily a complaint except that it's a wee bit chemical).

Drydown: At the start, it was very like my Doc Martens after polishing - heavy black leather that's cared for. By about 20 minutes, the smoke came up again, shifting between burning leaves and unattended cigarette. At 30 minutes, the scent level dropped dramatically and it smelt of my Docs again.

1 hour: Faint black leather and smoke. It reminds me of the way a leather jacket smells after a long night in a smoky bar.

3 hours: Very faded, but still smoky bar.

Verdict: Not for me. Without the smoke note, it might have worked, but De Sade on me turns out to be all about the smoke and not much about the leather. Edited to add that I had a skin reaction to something in this, bringing up small hives over the application area. Will definitely be swapping it now.

Edited by Catrinella

Aw, man! I had such high hopes for this. Sadly on me it turns rather plastic and fake-smelling. I'll hang on to my Imp, to see if it improves with age, but not quite bottle material.

In the vial:

Leather but very faint.

Wet:

Leather and a bit of something else, I guess I would say smoke like from cigarettes. Not so pleased about the smoke part.

Dry:

Leather but with something sweeter. (which is probably my own body chemistry) Not bad.

Later:

Now it's that "broken in" leather scent. Very mellow but not standing in the background at all. The sweetness is still there and luckily most of the smoke scent has gone.

I really like this one. I may just buy a 5ml.

Interesting, very interesting. Good job BPAL! Who knew you could bottle leather?

Dear God. De Sade is hands down the sexiest scent I have ever smelled on a man.

I was put off smearing it on *my* man for quite a long while because of the scent it has in the imp -- harsh leather leather leather that almost made me choke.

On his skin, though, magical things happen and it becomes the scent of the most delicious, masculine, attractive, charismatic guy in the whole freakin' world. And the chemistry is flowing and you're making frequent eye contact and every time you tough there's this little zap and both of you know perfectly well you're going to end up tumbling into bed together before too long.

And oh yeah, he happens to be wearing a leather jacket, you know, the one he wears all the time, like a second skin, the one that rides on him so easily you can't picture him without it.

It melds so well with my man's body chemistry that it seems to be actually coming out of his pores, part of him rather than an applied scent. Not "Wow, that cologne smells great" (which is the case for Loup Garou, and don't get me wrong, I like Loup Garou but it's definitely not in the same league as De Sade) but "Oh my God, you're the best-smelling person I ever met".

Pure. Sex.

I've tried it on myself as well. Now, when I wear it, it gives me the same amazing change from choking overly strong leather to mellow, slightly smoky, just barely sweetened leather scent. But it smells like a cologne, like men's cologne that I've put on. Which is not to say that it's not worth wearing: because I associate it with my man, it gets me all warm and ready to jump him in no time at all.

Edited by odalisque

I hate to sound like a broken record after everyone else has chimed in, but... De Sade is 100% pure leather. Like wearing a black leather jacket. It seems to be a close-to-the-skin scent, which is good -- a little subtlety is in order if one wants to smell like leather, I'd say.

I don't get "new car smell" out of it at all (thank goodness -- like someone upthread, I have childhood carsickness memories associated with new car smell). It starts off like a leather jacket, and it stays that way. The drydown is a tiny bit sweeter, but this one really doesn't morph.

As I said when I first sniffed the imp: if I ever get invited to a bondage ball, I'm definitely wearing this!

Imp: Leather--that delicious whiff of leather when you put on a good leather jacket. Mmmm...

On/wet: Clean, faintly warm leather--still a new-ish jacket.

Drydown: Faint, slightly sweet spice which lays close to the skin and the smell that leather picks up when it's worn but well cared for... my mom's favorite coat--a knee length black leather coat that my father gave her almost 15 years ago--smells like this. :P I remember this as a safe smell--just like I remember wrapping myself up in that coat when I was little. Definitely what leather is meant to smell like!

Hot, dry, and smoky. To me this is the scent of sun-warmed black leather rather than the cool interior of a leather goods shop. Unfortunately this brings up some stomach-churning associations of being carsick on a leather backseat, so I don't think it's for me!

imp: leather. almost a smoky sort of leather. this will be okay on me, but fantastic on my husband.

wet: a more smoky leather. this puts me in mind of cowboys sitting around a campfire.

dry: a touch less smoky once dry, still very leathery. my husband has laid claim to the imp now that i'm done reviewing it.

I let my gf into my box of squee and nearly didn't get De Sade back. She was all "I MUST DROWN MY HUSBAND IN THIS." And I was all, "NO, THAT'S FOR DROWNING MY HUSBAND IN, STEP OFF, BITCH."

yeah. it's like that.

Hot sweaty leather with overtones of smoke.

It smells like the gimp mask of a heavy smoker. Really, really, really NOT me. Might try it on the boy, but as he's vegetarian he might not take to the smell...