Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

Mmmm. I so didn't think I would like this, but holy hell it smells good. Scourge is right, smells kind of like sweat, but sexy sweat, not gross BO.

Received this as a frimp in my Pink Moon order, and not something I ever woould have ordered on my own since I don't like leather (which also explains why I have no idea if this smells like all the leather jackets, corsets and whips and stuff everyone else thinks it smells like) ...

To me, this smells like new car.

And that's not a bad smell (except that I won't be able to afford one for a long time so it's sort of a poignant smell right now).

It's much better than I thought it would be, but to me it's not a scent I'd wear. It's a scent I like to smell. Probably goes to the swap box but I would still give it a solid 3 on my 1-5 scale.

desade.jpg

Leather and leather only in this blend. It is as uncompromising as it's name. I found it to be pleasure to wear it, at first. Though never overwhelming, deSade became cloying after a while, slightly sickening. How much cow hide do you want to smell at one time? Happily, though, deSade goes well with a lot of other scents, put him with Severin to revv up its leather componant, they were made for each other. I would like to try it with other blends and see what it does to them. Will they beg for more or beg for mercy? We shall see! Bwah-hahahahaaaaaa!

The icon is a drawing of the Marquis deSade done from life. He was a young man at this stage, but deep into profoundly naughty behavior.

I was excited to get this in a swap, it smelled great in the imp, and made the mistake of trying it on myself, instead of the SO.

Leather. Strong strong fresh, slightly bitter and acrid leather. Not the warm scent of a used leather jacket, not the smell of a leather goods store. In fact, a smell that I just couldn't abide having on me, and tried to scrub off. 3 times. Argh!

And now, since I tried it first, I just can't seem to even open it to get on my SO. I don't want to smell it again, even knowing it might be great on him. sigh...

Undecided what to do...keep it and try it someday on SO, or swap it? Decisions decisions.

De Sade : Leather and smoke, smoke and leather. The smoke of a wood fire, specifically one with a mix of seasoned wood and green branches, mostly maple or oak with a little pine. (Ok... so my father has smoked the house out with the woodstove a few too many times.)

After dry down, just leather. Very raw and masculine. Several others have said that Dead Man's Hand is raw hide leather and this is an expensive jacket. This smells like raw hide leather on me.

If this plays similarly on Boyfriend's chemistry I will be getting a bottle of it to slather on him.

Bottle (Imp): For some reason, I am smelling NOTHING in the imp.

Just On: I'm starting to smell the faintest hint of leather. I rather like it, it's like I'm standing downwind a ways from somebody who has cured leather. I suspect since it's SO light, it will fade fast.

An hour or two later: The barest hint of leather. This is really fading quickly, which is a little sad, since I think I might like it.

Around 6 hours: I can get a hint of leather if I stick my nose right against my skin and inhale very deeply, but other than that, it's gone.

12 hours: It's all gone.

Overall: This is very faint, and hard to smell from the beginning, but I think I might like it. I will have to give it another shot and see how it goes. I got the same thing. I may have to try this in another swap someday when I get the chance.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I guess I'm the only person who didn't get anything strong out of this one. It was just so weak that I never really could enjoy it, and therefore I swapped it away.

Very raw, fresh leather at first. Not an old jacket. Eventually, though, it softens into a worn leather, kind of peppered with the scent from where sueded leather gets worn down by human oils, especially near the neck of bomber jackets.

One of the female students in the office just went: "somebody in here smells really good!" Heh.

It's really straightforward, and doesn't change much throughout its lifetime. Kind of cowboy-ish, or fetish-y, and certainly has a masculine edge.

De Sade

This was part of my French order.

Preconceived notions: I didn’t get any leather in Wanda, none in Loviatar, and only a slight bit in Casanova. If I’m going to get leather, it’s going to be in this one, which is said to be pure leather.

Note: By the time I tried this, I’d also received Dead Man’s Hand, so I’m reviewing them at the same time.

In the vial:

If I hadn’t had Dead Man’s Hand to compare, I would have said that this smelled like pure leather. But Dead Man’s Hand is more of a pure leather. This is leather and a very tiny bit of incense or smoke - something dark and brooding.

On me:

For the entire hour it was on, it really didn’t change much. Pure, black leather with ambient dark incense. This is excellent.

Overall:

I love this. I like it much more than the pure leather of Dead Man’s Hand. It has something mysterious to it, something dark and maybe even a little ominous. Nothing you can really pick out, but it’s there. Without Dead Man’s Hand to compare, I would never have noticed anything but the leather.

Edited to add: Whoever said bonfire - yes! That's definitely there as well. Mmmm...

Edited by Witch's Dagger

I don't know if there is much to say about this fragrance that hasn't already been said. It definitely smells like leather. On me it also seems to have a sweet incensy quality in the drydown as well. A sweet smokiness. And this is definitely a strong scent. I put a tiny dab on my wrist and I can smell it quite clearly as I am typing right now. This is much too masculine for my tastes. It's a good leather scent, but it's too sharp for me to want to smell it on the boy either... I just love scents that are sweeter. I might use this to layer with some other scents though.

*edit to fix typos

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Received this as a freebie imp.

This is one dead on description. In the bottle and on my skin it smells like leather. I can't imagine actually wearing it though, seems too strong for my tastes.

Imagine you're standing on a cobblestone street, reading a flyer handed to you by a newsboy, when a gust of wind rips it out of your hand and sends it skittering down the street. You give chase and are just bending down to pick it up when a heavy booted foot steps down on the paper and prevents you from taking it. Your eyes follow the boot up the leg to the looming, face of a man whose face twists into an insidious grin. He hands you the paper, but you're left with an uncomfortable, but fascinating shivery feeling and the smell of his polished boot in your nose.

De Sade is that boot.

(Also, it's just what I needed to amp up the leather in Whip.)

Edited by elphaba

De Sade

I can't even put into words how wonderful De Sade is. I ordered an imp of it for my boyfriend to try and fell so head-over-heels in love with it that I'm keeping it for myself. (Okay, fine, I'll share... sometimes.) It's sexy with a capital "SEX." Warm and black, slightly musky, a touch of smokiness. It's leather and more. Surprisingly, I don't find this too masculine. I definitely feel I can pull this off, and often. Leather seems so gender-neutral to me. I mean, both men and woman look sexy as hell wearing it.

I really do think this will be my first ever 10ml, as this scent is not only great on its own but has, in my opinion, almost endless layering possibilities. I know for certain that De Sade + Vanilla Bean SN = OHMYFRIGGIN'GOSHMELT, and I suspect it'd be wonderful with a touch of coconut or lavender. I'd also really like to try it under both Sin and Wanton.

Big, BIG imp's ear up, Beth.

Edited by riddel

First I only sniffed from the imp. Light, soapy, drugstore men's cologne...There was a bit that stayed on my fingers, same soapy smell hours later. Not exactly thrilled.

Later I tested it on my wrist. Still a bit of that annoying soap smell but leather is definitely there. After 20 minutes or so, there's something fleeting that makes me think of Hubby. His skin after he's been working with wood...But that loveliness comes and goes. If it stayed, I'd absolutely LOVE this one. It doesn't. More than anything, it's just soapy. Might try it again in a few days. Doubt I'll get Hubby to try it, it made him sneeze, heh.

In bottle: Untreated leather straight off the cow. It's been cleaned and it's stretched and ready to go, but nothing's been done to it yet.

On me: Nearly identical to the bottle and the description. Raw naked leather.

Yep, that's leather alright! Amazing that this is so accurate, but not really something I want to smell like, and Hubby doesn't like it. Very masculine scent to me. Will find a new home.

I thought I'd try this on me simply because some traditionally masculine scents work just fine with my chemistry. So here's what happened:

In bottle: Leather, pure leather. But light and not overbearing.

Initial application: This is leather and it's pretty intense, almost overbearing.

Dry-down: If I was in Scotland, with my face buried into a big strapping Scotman's leather coat as some peaty fires burned nearby and the smoke wafted around us, this is what I'd smell. (I rather like this imagery...do I have to move on?) Yummy, but very masculine. But I don't mind it on my person.

3-4 hours later: This has retained the leather/smoke scent, but with my body chemistry, has softened and picked up a bit of a spicy quality.

I would love to smell this on a man, but I'd also wear it if I was in all black leather, or if I just wanted to put on the "I'm in all black leather" attitude. :P

valentina

This is straight leather. It didn't ick me out as much as I thought. It seems to be a mix of sweaty leather and clean air. I liked the cleanness of De Sade, although it got muskier over time.

I love the smell of leather.. always have. I especially love the smell of a mans worn leather jacket - and this is that smell. I definitely get a smokey smell.. tobacco, not incense - and a bit of musk. There is something clean in the background.. very similar to Jolly Roger. I don't concider this a masculine scent as I was wearing it when I first got the imp and really liked it.. but it definitely smells better on my hubby. I love De Sade, its sexy yet not overwhelming.. and there is something warm and comforting about it, like wearing your man's leather jacket.

In the bottle: Wet and smokey and very much leather.

First on: Old leather and smoke.

After a bit: This stays the same on me.

This very much reminds me of the scent of a well worked in leather saddle or a really old baseball glove mixed with heavy smoke.

From the bottle: exactly that! pure leather. leather jacket.

On me: Mmm. it darkened up alot. but I love it. I know its a manly scent, but it brings back memories of horse riding and cleaning the saddles.

Two hours later: smells exactly the same. id wear it now and than, but not too much. may be a good car scent.

Why I tried it: Name association plus mmmmm ... leather.

In the bottle and wet: Leather and smoke.

Dry: Still smoky leather; the way a leather jacket worn by someone who smokes. It's not all that pleasant but ... bear with me because I'm going to get a little geeky here.

Talk about instant character identification. This is exactly what I think one of my not very nice protagonists smells like; it'd be even more like him if you layered it with a little scotch. Even though he's a jerk, I may keep it just for that reason. Also wouldn't you know ... it's got one hell of a throw on it.

I wasn't sure what this was going to smell like as it came along in my last order as sort of a suprise.

My first reaction was it smelled like a the clean jacket of a someone who smokes. it definilty ahs a leather smell to it. Very unique. I've never smelled an oil like this before.

On my skin it smells even more like leather. Very masculine and mature. Not something i would wear but maybe a scent that would smell very nice on my father.

Leather! My God, this is nice. Not so much raw as it is hot leather. Nice, yummy hot leather. I am so glad I bought this. :P

De Sade

In the bottle: leather! Wow they got that one rather well. Not perfect, but it’s close enough. Had no idea what to expect with such a cryptic description.

Wet: ok ok, this is ‘raw’ leather. I’m used to oiled and used leather which gets a different scent from the neatsfoot oil and other stuff (nono, not S&M, from horsebackriding, bad mind!)

Drying/5 mins: raw leather

Dry/20 mins: yup, raw leather

Yup, definitely delivers what it promises. Reminds me of my horse show days, when I was sitting around at the end of the day cleaning my saddle and bridle. While nostalgic for me, not something I would choose to wear as a scent. I sure for leather lovers, this is the end all, be all of leather scents :P