Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

I had an odd reaction to this one...stg in it is causing my allergies to go crazy. Seriously big time allergic reaction here (I don't mean life threatening, just very sneezing, itching, lung irritationy.) So that sucks.

It didn't smell like the warm leather scent I was hoping for anyway, before my allergies kicked in, I envisioned not a leather jacket wearing bad boy on his motorcycle, but a Wrangler wearin' Stetson man smelling like dirt, sweat, hay and saddles. Then again, I'm allergic to hay and dust too! :P

So, not for me.

I got this one in an imp at Christmas 04. Its weird how noses can differ, but on my skin and from the vial this scent smelled absolutely nothing like leather. I used to work at a Tandy leather store, and was around leather day in and day out. Leather by nature achieves its odor via chemical treatment, so maybe as a natural oil approach to leather De Sade is a good attempt, but not accurate to its description. De Sade is more grassy/weedy, particularly as it dries down. Vetiver, or something? Kind of reminds me of Vetiver by Guerlain.

Sniffing the imp, I smell leather.

On, I smell... leather. And it is fantastic.

A thief in a dark alley, wearing leather armor, hiding in the shadows only to spring out when least expected. Hey, just like my D&D character... :P

In the bottle: Hmm. Much sweeter than most of the real leather I've smelled. Not a bad thing, though.

Wearing: As soon as it hits the skin, it morphs into the smell of my boyfriend's leather jacket. Bitter and dark. However...

Later: This goes back to the sweeter smell from in the bottle, but a bit different. It is leathery, but not pure leather to me. There is a definite muskiness that distinguishes itself from the leather smell. The more it sits on my skin, the smokier it gets...oh wow. Did I mention how much I love leather scents? :P

Overall: I could bathe in this! Well, OK, I take that back, I probably couldn't considering it's relatively strong. However, it's wonderfully decadent, addictive, and lusty, and right up there with Loviatar for second sexiest scent (nothing can beat Perversion, though). Yay for De Sade!

First sniff: Holy hell. This really is leather. And not the smooth buttery armchair leather of Hellfire… De Sade is Gabriel Knight’s wind-beaten leather jacket. After he’s been out for a night on Bourbon Street.

Wearing: Damn. This isn’t just leather-scented perfume… it makes my skin smell like leather, like I’ve been living in the saddle under too much sun. It clings very close – I was expecting to be blown away by an aura of cowhide, but it’s decidedly subtle. Until I sniff my wrist and it smells like… Gabriel. I really can’t shake the association. This is Tim Curry’s voice doing a N’Awlins drawl and the messy-haired but unreasonably hot guy in the computer game. It’s not a me scent, at all, and I can’t imagine my love in it either, but I’m tempted to keep it around just because it’s so freaking amazing.

This is great! Leatherific. I was looking for a leather scent and thought I had found it in Hellfire, but no, this is the one. It makes Hellfire look like Masons driving little cars in a parade with fez tassles flapping.

This can be pulled off by the right woman. That is me! :P It is strong and forceful. Very nicely done! It smells like a leather jacket yet a little smoky. Might be in my top 20 soon!

Wow, this really DOES smell like Leather!

I wish I could just wrap myself up in this... I don't need to go through what it smelled like in the vial, wet, or on my skin, just know...

The drydown was leather.

Mmmm Leather.... This one is so a keeper!

pure unadulterated leather, i didn't think MASCULINE as much as i thought wow sexy, i love leather, i wear it i associate it w/ that, my dh doesn't wear it and it is weird to think of this as a masculine scent :P but i am a nutter so....

This is amazing. It really does smell like pure leather - corset leather, jacket dripping with zippers leather, long gloves leather. I can definitely think of events I'll be wearing this for. And I can't wait to try layering with it - that'll be amazing! De Sade + Port-Au-Prince would be leather 'n cloves, De Sade + Blood Amber would be a dominatrix walking through an autumn forest with red-gold leaves falling all around her, settling on her bare shoulders and in her cleavage between her skin and her leather corset - my, yes, this is something to look forward to.

Edited by regyt

De Sade:

The description reads: "the raw scent of leather." Well, I suppose it depends on what kind of leather. New, leather jacket smell? No. This smells like a well-worn horse saddle. Leather and sweat and.. I believe it's called tanning oil, though I don't mean sun-tan oil! :P

All in all, far too masculine for me. I'm not overly fond of the scent of most leathers as it is, so this one goes off into the swap pile.

When I get 'unknown' freebies from the Lab, I usually sniff the vial, read the description, and then apply if it doesn't contain any of my "no no" notes. I was very surprised at De Sade's description, since it smells very clean to me in the vial. I almost didn't put any on, but I like most blends containing leather, so I smeared a teeny bit on the back of my wrist.

Oh. My. Dear. God. This smells ssssooooooo gooooodddddd on me! And I'm a girl! It is a very soft and supple leather, with something soft and almost creamy (probably some kind of musk) lurking beneath. Like leather sliding across soft skin. And every now and again a whiff of sweet woodsmoke drifts off my skin. I am definitely keeping this around to layer, it would be a crime not to. To wear this on a crisp fall day would be heaven!

I don't have a guy to throw this on, but when I do, rest assured I will! "Honey, close your eyes for just a sec and hold still, I wanna try something...."

I'm a leather-fume sort of gal (Daim Blond, Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond are three of my faves) but this was Too Much Leather For Me.

De Sade is like Messe de Minuit. I can appreciate it as a sublime expression of the perfumer's art, but it's not for me to wear.

GREAT leather scent, if you want to smell L.E.A.T.H.E.R. Very well made. Seriously.

I am a woman who enjoys more "masculine" scents. This one is right up my alley. Not pretty, just naughty enough to be fun. Deep, earthy and unexpected.

Strong enough for a man but made for a woman, LOL.

Edited by Hikaru

OOB: More burning smudge stick rather than leather. It's intense, smokey and I can feel the glowing embers underneath.

Wet: What one would smell like having spent the night dancing around a bonfire. Smoke plumes rising from my wrist. What I hoped Demeter's Fireplace would be.

Dry: The smoke clears and the scent softens, calms down to something which could indeed be described as leathery. The bonfire has died down and the embers have cooled in the pre-dawn. Mmmmmm, smells like I rolled in the ashes. Has a nice pungency. Rather like the topnote in Bvlgari Black but BETTER.

Oh yum. Originally for the husband but we'll be sharing this one or getting a second bottle and then we're off to slather city.

De Sade

In the bottle: It smells kind of like leather, but kind of like sweat. Or maybe the two are too closely associated for me not to think of them together.

On me: While it smells of leather on me, it also smells vaguely of plastic. While I've really enjoyed this note in blends like Perversion, I think by itself it's a little much for me. It does mellow over time, but then begins to smell kind of like pencil shavings. :P

Not for me, this one.

I forgot to review poor old de Sade.

To me, it's pure, evil leather. It's your riding crop, your oiled leather jacket. This leather is definitely not innocent.

It did some strange things to my boy while he wore it. We were in the theater watching Sin City and I kept smelling BO. I discovered that when de Sade interacted with his warm skin, it started to develop a BO smell. If I smell it up close I get the leather scent, it's the wafting from afar that smells icky.

Hmm...I have a 5ml otw. We'll have to test this some more.

wow. LEATHER. seriously. leather. that's it. leather.

not me at all (i don't wanna smell all girly and floral, but i don't wanna smell like this, either), but damn! i wish i had a guy to put it on. and then sniff at it on. and then well... i'm sure you get the idea, right? :P

also... it would have to be a guy with presence, who could pull the leather off.

I'm glad the Lab sent this to me. I'm going to force The Boy to wear it. :P I think this is a scent that every BPAL addict should try.

Oh, my. I love this one. It's unbelievable on both me and Mr. lost, but in completely different ways. On me, it's rich and dark, with almost a bay rum kind of vibe, but on him- Old, broken in leather and a campfire on a clear night. So sexy, and so him :P

Holy crap, yep this is leather all right. Wet it smelled like a brand new black leather jacket, and dried down into well worn leather (kind of neat how it did that actually).

I was really curious to see if Beth really captured the scent of leather, and by golly she did. I'm in awe here.

It smells like cigarette smoke to me. Very strong at first, it does mellow to that pleasant small, classy bar smell, but it translates in my nose as cigarettes.

To me this smells more of the skin after leather has been taken off than the leather itself. After spending ages trying to work out why it was very familiar to me I realised that it reminds me of my dad, it's a very comforting scent, but not necessarily one I want to smell of.

De Sade is pure :D

I annoited myself in this to get myself into character to play a Dominatrix-turned-cabbie role for one of my boyfriend's short film projects (no, not that kind of short film). :P De Sade definitely helped me connect with the character's past! It's pure, unadulterated leather, with no mercy.

This scent is unbelievably sexy and really does smell like leather. Unfortunately, this is not the kind of scent that my husband likes so I had to trade this.

In Bottle: Leather, plain and simple.

On Skin: It smells like my husband when he’s wearing his leather coat. Very snuggly and comforting. I hope I can talk him into trying it since he won’t be wearing his leather for a while since it’s been so warm here. I can’t believe Beth captured this scent so perfectly. WOW!