Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

CCNow or PayPal

IF YOU ARE PAYING VIA PAYPAL, please do NOT use our online credit card processor. Place your order through PayPal using the payment address paypal [at] blackphoenixalchemylab [dot] com and fill your order info in the comments field.

I didn't really understood what all that meant (for some reason) until after reading on the forums about it though. I'm not sure how blonde that makes me. :P

Don't worry - what you're referring too just asks you not to use CCNow to then pay via Paypal, because the lab ends up paying CCNow's fees AND Paypal's fees. (If you pay via credit card on CCNow they just get CCNow's fees, which are bad enough.) Or in other words, if you're using a paypal balance, don't do it through CCNow. It doesn't explain that CCNow charges the lab more than Paypal does - that's not mentioned anywhere.

ETA - I think the lab probably has the CCNow link and so on because it's more courteous to the customer/efficient/professional to have a shopping cart and not to make people head over to Paypal (especially with the issue of calculating shipping). I don't think they've ever complained about the fees - it's just the cost of doing business - it's just that we on the forum have figured out the difference. I also suspect they may have set up the shopping cart prior to the Paypal shopping carts that are now available, and it's more of a problem to change than not (can Paypal calculate the shipping costs, for instance?).

Edited by Anna D.

"IF YOU ARE PAYING VIA PAYPAL, please do NOT use our online credit card processor. Place your order through PayPal using the payment address paypal [at] blackphoenixalchemylab [dot] com and fill your order info in the comments field."

I totally messed up, even though I remembered having read this in the past.

Somehow I managed to pay both through paypal and CCNow.

So basically, the only notification the LAB has that I have placed an order (if I do it exclusively through Paypal) is if they open their account and read (you have received a payment from Carmencita)?

Maybe my seemingly chronic fatigue for 2007 so far is eating my brain cells.

Edited because although I am still stupid, I am not as stupid as I was three minutes ago when I posted this.

Edited by Carmencita

Gah. I feel horrible - all of those BPAL orders since February and I never really paid attention to my payment method. Just always went through CCNow . . . :P Which is currently screwing around with my 13 order, so I'm off to cancel it and place the order through PayPal directly. :D

Hello..I am new to the whole BPAL phenomena. I placed an order today and had no idea about going through PayPal directly. I just followed the links from my shopping cart to the Pay Pal site...Now that I go back and look at the receipt, it says the money went to CCNow....does that mean my order went through? If i reorder directly through Pay Pal will I get charged twice??

Any thoughts/advice on what I should do? I just sent them an email about it, but thought I would ask you guys too.

Thanks!

Leah :P

Hello..I am new to the whole BPAL phenomena. I placed an order today and had no idea about going through PayPal directly. I just followed the links from my shopping cart to the Pay Pal site...Now that I go back and look at the receipt, it says the money went to CCNow....does that mean my order went through? If i reorder directly through Pay Pal will I get charged twice??

Any thoughts/advice on what I should do? I just sent them an email about it, but thought I would ask you guys too.

Thanks!

CCNow is the processor - have no fear, BPAL will get the order. If you send through PayPal as well, the you will be essentially making a 2nd, duplicate order. Don't do that. Your 1st order will be fine.

So basically, the only notification the LAB has that I have placed an order (if I do it exclusively through Paypal) is if they open their account and read (you have received a payment from Carmencita)?

Well, I would imagine they get e-mail notifications the same way that I do when I get money sent to me via Paypal. But even if for some reason they didn't, I'm sure they monitor that account pretty closely - a lot of people pay with Paypal!

Thanks!

CCNow is the processor - have no fear, BPAL will get the order. If you send through PayPal as well, the you will be essentially making a 2nd, duplicate order. Don't do that. Your 1st order will be fine.

Great...thank you for putting my mind at ease! I will make sure to go directly through PayPal next time so that the BPAL crew won't have the extra fees. :D

Urk. When I've ordered in the past, I've clicked on the shopping cart links, and it goes through CCnow... but then, it asks for me to choose a payment type - and I pick PayPal. It happily bounces me to the paypal site, and I pay there. The window closes, and I"m back at CCNow, and I print my order receipt.

Does that mean that lab is getting charged percentage fees by BOTH CCNow AND Paypal?!?!?!

-bethany

Does that mean that lab is getting charged percentage fees by BOTH CCNow AND Paypal?!?!?!

Yup. That's why the main Lab page says:

IF YOU ARE PAYING VIA PAYPAL, please do NOT use our online credit card processor. Place your order through PayPal using the payment address paypal [at] blackphoenixalchemylab [dot] com and fill your order info in the comments field.

:P

Eep. I've been using CC now *AND* paypal. I'd always seen the notice on the front page, and it confused me, because the shopping cart gives you the link to complete payment via paypal. I always assumed that I was doing the correct thing, because I didn't use the credit card processor (i.e. never put in credit card info with CC now), I just proceeded from the shopping cart to paypal and sent payment to the given address. It really was not obvious to me that simply using the cart = using the credit card processor.

Perhaps it would be helpful if an additional notice were placed on the "view cart" screen stating, "please do not finalize your order in the shopping cart. Please copy it to paypal."

I was looking over the notice again and it occurred to me that I might be doing it wrong, and I came to the forums to confirm. Customers who never read the forums might continue to make the same mistake. I guess I just hadn't put much thought into it, because the cart seemed to lead to the right place, and because I generally trust most websites to have things set up the way they want. I was confused the first time I ordered, and when that went through without trouble, I kept doing the same thing.

Edited by naeelah

I know this has been asked before but I am still confused. The only way for me to use paypal is with a credit card. I cant take money from my bank account and have none on my balance. Well... 1.99$ but where does that get me...

So is it ok to pay with a credit card through paypal or does the lab get charged some extra fees too then?

Sorry for being so daft, I am just entirely confused by paypal and their fees. And I want to place an order so badly...

Not daft at all! These things can be confusing. :P

It's 100% ok to pay BY credit card THROUGH paypal. By that I do mean going to www.paypal.com, logging in, and sending your order via their "Send Money" feature.

The "not okay" thing, which the Lab references on their font page, is using the CCNow cart to place your order and selecting Paypal as the payment method there. That is what gets the Lab charged double fees, which they can't prevent because CCNow doesn't allow them to take Paypal off of the options for payment through the cart.

I know this has been asked before but I am still confused. The only way for me to use paypal is with a credit card. I cant take money from my bank account and have none on my balance. Well... 1.99$ but where does that get me...

So is it ok to pay with a credit card through paypal or does the lab get charged some extra fees too then?

Sorry for being so daft, I am just entirely confused by paypal and their fees. And I want to place an order so badly...

You can certainly pay with a credit card through Paypal, and the Lab won't get double fees as long as you log directly into Paypal and use the "Send Money" tab to pay them at the "paypal@blackphoenixalchemylab.com" email address. They'd only get charged the extra fees if you used Paypal through CCNow. This is because Paypal charges a fee for people to receive credit card payments, and CCNow also charges a fee to the merchant when people use their processor. As long as you don't click through to Paypal from the CCNow processor, you can pay however you want without letting the Lab be hit with extra fees.

ETA: Too slow. :P

Edited by angharad

Ok. Thank you for your answers! I got the thing about ccnow before. And as international customer I believe I cant use it anyway. And 9% is outragous.

I was just wondering because I assume that when you pay with a credit card through paypal the lab gets charged by paypal and by the credit card company as well so they still get less money than with a payment made from the money on the paypal balance or bank account because then it would only be the paypal fees, no card fees?

I dont know because I have never received any credit card paypal and the paypal website contains no information about that except their own fees.

Nope, there is a flat rate per transaction fee for business' paypal accounts, so there's no extra fee from the credit card carrier. :P

I'm having a bit of confusion about PayPal. It used to be that I'd pay straight from my bank account and it would go through immediately. But now I'm getting separate notifications of when I ask to send payment and when it's processed, and the transaction is being called an e-check instead of a bank transfer. Does this mean I'm going to get bumped to the back of the pack for shipments? And why is it taking so long to clear my payment nowadays?

My eChecks seem to clear right away now that I have a credit card on file as a backup payment source. Before they were taking 5 days or so to clear. I don't know if those two things are directly related, but if not it's one heck of a coincidence.

The same thing happened to me, and I asked Paypal about it. They told me that if you do not have a backup credit card on file, or if it expires, then instead of money coming instantly from your bank account, it comes as an "e-check" that takes several days to clear. Apparently, my backup credit card had expired, and suddenly it was this "e-check" business.

I actually use my ATM card for my bank account as my "backup credit card" since it has a Visa logo.

As long as you have a backup credit card, then your payments should clear just fine.

(Note: I'm in the US. This may apply to US Paypal users only.)

[/hijack]

I have a question, and I couldn't find anyplace more appropriate to ask it. *wince* So, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

Now that I've got Paypal, I'm planning on sending money for an order (my biggest order yet *fret*), but... I've never sent money via Paypal for something like this before! D:

I was wondering how I should write out what I want. Should I put it like this, in the notes?:

' 5ml - Dee

5ml - Jazz Funeral

Imp Pack - Skuld, Urd, Verdandi, Sea of Glass, Whip, Lolita'

Or should I list the imp pack like this?:

' Imp Pack:

Skuld

Urd

...etc.'

Also, I was wondering... would I include the shipping address in the notes, as well? One of the (two) orders I'm making is for a friends' birthday, so it's going to be sent to her house. That... seems like common sense, I suppose, but I'm afraid of making a mistake!

Thanks so much for any help you guys can give me! */noob*

I always follow the advice in this thread for any order that I place, always seems to work well :P Not sure about the address, I always just let Paypal automatically include my address and don't mention it in the notes.

If you're sending to your friend's house, I'd include the address in the Notes field, so you don't have to add her address to your Paypal account. Also, I'd use your first method of listing the order, it's just a bit neater. :P

I always follow the advice in this thread for any order that I place, always seems to work well :D Not sure about the address, I always just let Paypal automatically include my address and don't mention it in the notes.

Oh, thank you! :D I didn't see that thread. That really helps.

Morrighana, thanks also :P Now I know what I'm doing.

I placed an order through PayPal with the CCNow because I did not see the note before I did it. So what I'm gathering is that the order did get to BPAL, it's just that they will pay more $ because of the double charge (CCNow and PP)? It was placed on September 28, I am not sure if it is too late to cancel and then resend via straight ol' PayPal (I also got a note when I tried the first time that eChecks were not accepted here, this was the second time I'd sent the order through). I was in a hurry because I wanted the Pumpkin scent I ordered and knew it was time sensitive. It's also my first order even though I've been telling all my online friends about BPAL for years (money finally met opportunity).

I've read a lot of this thread but not the entire 6 pages so maybe my answer is in here somewhere & I just can't find it. I placed my first order directly through paypal 10-17, but I never got any sort of confirmation from the lab. Do they confirm? Or is your CnS your first indication that they got your order via the paypal comments?

As long as you get the confirmation from Paypal that your order has been sent, you should be fine. The Lab does not send a separate confirmation.

So, let me ask a newbie question. If I make an order tonight (ok, let's get real, WHEN I order tonight) with a CC or with PayPal - will I get charged immediately or when they ship?

Missy