Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Debauchery

From Love Potions

A sinful, licentious scent: self-indulgent and luxurious. Mingled heady civet and red Egyptian musk, thickened with opium.

A thick, sensual perfume. The visual I get from this scent is of a jaded, spoiled harem girl languishing amongst silks and cushsions on a fainting couch. There is a sharpness underneath the initial muskiness, and a definite sexuality to it. Perhaps it is the civet and musk? All in all, a very sexy mix. Almost too wicked for me!

A very complex oil that I selected for my first order. I went kinda overboard on the earthy scents, I think.

wet ~ I found it to smell very much of incense, with a dusty rose scent as it started to dry.

drying ~ The image I got was of a passion spell being cast in a hoodoo shop. Very strong. I had applied it to my upper right breast and could smell it without closing the distance between my face and my chest.

dry ~ It reminded me of the more pleasant scents of South India when I stayed in Hyderabad last Spring. Very smokey and sweet at the same time, thus feeling somewhat alien and odd, but attractive at the same time.

summary ~ I'm uncertain if I'd get more of this. It could make a good ritual scent, though.

afterthought ~ I found that this one clung strongly to my nightie, which was interesting. I let my boyfriend have a sniff on Valentine's night, and he rather liked it. I may end up trying for a 5 ml bottle eventually.

Edited by byrdie

This one reminded me of Bacchanalia in that it also is a thick musky fragrance. Initially, oddly enough, it reminded me of a really robust round white wine in that it was strong with a floral scent and that thick musky-ness like Bacchanalia but without the purple grapyness of that scent. It dried down and stayed quite strong in that I would catch whiffs of myself from my wrists without even trying. I completely agree that this is a very sexual scent. I assume its that musky civet. I kinda like this although its not an everyday scent for me, it is nice to wear when I know I can spend some one on one time with my hubby.

A litte bit dirty this one...in a good way. I don't think I've ever smelt Civet, but I'm pretty sure I can pick it out in this! Very animalistic with a slight sweetness from the musk I think, which saves it from being too carnal. The drydown is a touch dry with that ample musk and opium swimming through. So true that this is a self-indulgent scent, as it makes me want to be naughty rather than me wanting it to make someone else be naughty with me! :P To make it less overt, if I want to soften that wicked edge slightly, I sometimes wear it with Dragonfly Blue Nile Musk - I haven't any of the single note BPAL musks, but BPAL White Musk might do a similar thing.

Edited by ViolentKitten

In the bottle i sorta liked this one.

I defo smelled the musk and a sharpish spiciness.

Once on the skin it went way bad.

The civet (?) made the nastiest metal tang that made my teeth itch.

The musk went sour and the opium sorta gave the impression of rotting froot.

Gah!

Washed it off immediately.

This one is going to be swapped for sure.

... and skg promptly swapped it to me, and sadly, it doesn't work on me, either.

I think it must be the civet. I so wanted to love this, but on me it smells like somebody peed on my arm. It does soften up quite a bit after about a half-hour, but I guess I have to add civet to my list of oils I can't wear. Damn, because I was really hoping to be able to wear something so animalistic. I always give BPALs a second try, though, and I will do so with this, because my body chemistry changes so damn much from day to day.

I dont know about this scent either. :D I do know that it is the civet, it has a kind of urinish smell :D I smell it in Debauchery,Glasya,Pulse Points of course and any others that have this note. Civet is really strong and it overpowers all of the other ingredients that are in a perfume. As for Debauchery, when I first applied this it started off really sweet so I thought that it might work for me but then the drydown came and my arm had the aroma of masculine body odor(like how a man smells after working out). So Im sad to say that I cant do this one and im going to make sure not to order any ones that have civet in them. :P

This is my first review! I'm all excited and stuff. :P

Unfortunately it isn't going to be a positive review.

Wet: This is strongly floral on me right out of the bottle, lots of jasmine with musk/civet undertones.

Drying: The floral and the musk/civet are well balanced in this phase and this is where the trouble starts. Since I have very little exposure to BPAL I'm not sure if it is the civet or the musk but one of the two goes straight to my frontal sinuses and immediately turns into a sharp headache. Not pleasant.

Dry: Once it is dry the civet and musk take over the smell and the floral can only be found lurking about in the far shadows. It is very musky it really screams animal sex, sweet, and spicy with a physical kick. The headache effect goes away once it is completely dry (but only if I don't smell it too deeply) and leaves in its place a kind of acridness that I can feel in the back of my throat that hits at the very edge of my soft palate. When the scent is very old and dying out it goes softer and takes on a powdery quality. But the physical kick is still there. This smell lingers for a loooong time. It is hard to get rid of completely.

In summery I don't care for the smell and I don't care for the headache. :D

~Roja

First Impression: Earthy but sexual musk.

Second Impression: This reminds me muchly of Loviatar without the leather. It's not at all the Egyptian musk I'm familiar with, was expecting.

Final Analysis: Not too sure about civet, but the sweet musky quality is nice. I'm going to have to order a sample of Beth's Egyptian musk single note to compare and contrast with this. I'm going to slather this on Rob when he gets home to see what a man's chemistry does to it.

Ugh!!

Sniffing it out of the bottle it smells just like Sin only darker. I simply adore Sin so I slathered this one on me. Big mistake.

At first it was lovely but now that it's drying down and "settling" it smells like poopy. Really, I still smell all the other yummy scents that first caught my attention but I can't get the image of a big, fat, juicy turd out of my head (and now it's stuck in yours!! muhahaha!!) and unfortunately it makes me feel a little nauseous. :P *sigh*

On the upside, it smells f*cking delicious on my bf. Maybe boys' chemistry balances out what I assume to be the 'civet poopy smell'.

Perhaps I'll give this one a try at a room smell, it's pretty strong so it shouldn't take too much..really it's a shame it didn't work with my chemistry.

*sniffles and scampers to wash off*

I wanted to like this so much, but on my skin it smells like old lady. I mean, like, old lady at a nursing home old lady. (AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!! :D) Am I the only one who has an irrational phobia of that smell? :P

However, civet and I don't get along when we first meet. I had to wear Glasya a couple times before she became one of my favorites, so I'll give this one a try in a couple days and see what happens. :D

It's a good thing I had completely forgotten the description of this one or I would've been scared to try it--I've heard so many bad things about civet...nursing-home ladies and poop??? Give a woodfairy a heart attack, why don't you? :D

However, I didn't re-read the reviews before trying, and in fact I now realize I had it mixed up with Intrigue in my head (since I just got that one as well). I smelled the sweet/sharp smokiness of opium, which I mistook for tobacco + florals. It smelled like I wish Intrigue had smelled--that one went too sicky-sweet on me--and it also smelled like I wish Opium (the perfume) had smelled, since that one was waaaay too sweet and nauseating; it seems I have to be careful with sweet notes of any kind. But this now--this is not cloying at all; a powerful, strong, heady scent.

In short (why am I so blathery this morning? I must not be awake yet), Debauchery is exactly the Victorian-opium-den scent I've always wanted to find. Although it's nothing like my usual fragrances, I will wear it for wintry evenings out and carry a warm sexy aura around with me. :P

In the Bottle: Almost like dragon's blood, warm and sweet and cherry smelling. Very sexual in the bottle.

On Me: At first this was great, wet it was musky and raw sensual power. Then it dried down to a dragon's blood sort f scent. But here, 2 hours later, its still going strong, but its poop with a sort of cherry finish.

If I wear this, not only will I be disgusted the whole time, but people are going to razz me even more.

Yuck. Swap time.

:P

i recognized the civet immediately, even though i had never smelled it before, and i compared it with my new imp of bacchanalia (i received both in a swap from aijin. thanks, babe!). i definitely smelled that, first and foremost.

when i sniffed it again, the heady thickness of it reminded me of the caterpillar, but a much more sensual version of it.

i didn't like this at first, but i'm warming up to it. when i smelled it 10 minutes after application, it reminded me strongly of something that i couldn't pinpoint. upon much contemplation, i've realized this smells like my ex-boyfriend's room. the smell of incense and candles mixing together, the atmosphere of dimmed lights. debauchery lives up to its title, i suppose.

the civet is still making me afraid of this, though. civet reminds me of bad breath.

To me, debauchery smelled like leather, tobacco, and rich, dry wood.

I think it will be a great perfume for autumn, as it really conjures fireside images.

Debauchery:

I can't even get past the scent of this one in the bottle ... it's got to have civet in it, and civet and I do not get along. Sadly, I can't even try this one on. To quote a dear friend, this smells like Aaaaaassssssss.

Not a winner - people literally got up and moved away from me on the bus the day I wore it.

WAY too earthy on me. My body chemistry just doesn't like those earthy - gamey scents in the Satyr family - I envy the people who can wear them well.

(I'm looking forward to when the BPAL scents are categorized by scent type - I want to see if there's a consistency in the ones that don't work on me)

Wet

The top notes are nice, I like the almost rosey floral on top but unfortunately it's combined with what I call a toilet bowl cleaner quality underneath.

5 minutes

Toilet bowl cleaner smell is lessening and the floral or whatever that is smells nicer. Less cloying and it's showing me the reason for it's name now. The Civet smells like leather, and there's a strong sexual perfume.

20 minutes

Unfortunately this smells like someone's grandmother who's looking for a hot night on the town.

Hope fully I'll find one and give this imp to her. :P

I cant really give a breakdown wet, drydown, etc because in the bottle all the oils smelled overwhelming and unfriendly.

But Debauchery was one of the first ones I've bought in the bigger size. I went through quite a few imps and almost gave up.

I put this one on and 5 minutes later I couldnt stop smelling my wrist. It occurred to me that this blend is one that to me, makes me smell like I _should_.

If that makes sense.

So far, besides this, I've only bought O, and Velvet in the bigger bottles .

Bella

wet: warm red musk? smells like dragon's heart.

drying: still reminds me of dragon's heart without the fruity notes. warm and rich, but instead of the sweetness, this has a more dry/sharp/earthy tone to it, which must be due to the civet. i'm not getting any of the civet-ickiness others have described above, though.

conclusion: this doesn't smell horrible on me, but it's not really me, either. it's a bit too masculine or earthy or something. however, i'm interested to see that civet possibly doesn't hate me.

Wet - Import store! Opium den! Someplace dark, dank, with a lot of seedy history.

Dry - It turns soapy on me, that is, opium soap.

I endured this for a half hour and had to wash it off. It is exactly what it says it is, it just doesn't fit me. Nothing incensey is very nice on me. I guess I can't be that kind of woman.

:P

When I tried on Debauchery, I thought it smelled rather nice, but something was a little "off." That something, as I see reading the components, was civet. I don't really get along well with civet, but in Debauchery, it's really rather faint, so I didn't pick it out right away.

Debauchery overall is a very dark, animalistic, playful fragrance. Like "Werewolf Woman on the Prowl" type of scent. Despite my fantasies of changing into other things, I've passed my imp along already, as I'm not really keen on civet, and I didn't see myself grabbing the imp over others. However, for those of you who are into letting a bit of the wilderness grab hold, this might work for you.

-doreen

Debcauchery is not my friend. It's very, very strong and musky, I can smell it even with the cap on the imp. It's very dark, and I can see that it could be very sexy for some people - but not me! Musk and I are not on the best of terms. It's just too headache-inducing, or I'd try wearing it anyway since I do think it's sort of intriguing...but I think in this case, it wouldn't be a good idea. Oh well, off to a person with a less delicate nose. :P

One of the few civet blends that hasn't smelled like ...er...dirty diaper... on me. This was a pleasant surprise in and of itself, but overall this one just didn't do much for me. A faintly musty earthy scent at first, this dried down into the vague incensey smell of opium. The opium itself is great, not overly strong but actually just sort of sits there on my skin without really making me notice it much until it skitters away.

Off to swaps with ye.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

First sniff:

Civet is the first thing that jumps out at me when I open the imp. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate civet. It doesn't smell too bad in the bottle, but on me, it's pure cat pee, so I don't have high hopes for Debauchery, but I'll try it anyway, just in case.

Wet on skin:

Cat pee and opium. It's not Beth's fault that this one smells bad on me, civet is just my skin's natural enemy. If it weren't for the civet, I'd likely love this blend, but as it stands, I smell like an expensive Egyptian rug in an opium den that's just been peed on by a very angry tomcat and it's just not pleasant. At all.

Dry down:

The cat pee smell has gotten even stronger, totally overpowering everything else in this blend. This is getting washed off immediately. I keep telling myself I'll never let civet touch my skin again, but I had to try Debauchery just in case it was the exception to the "cat pee rule." Sadly, it's not. :D

The bottom line:

Civet is not my friend. At all. I really need to stop believing that there might be an exception to that rule. :D