Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Debauchery

A sinful, licentious scent: self-indulgent and luxurious. Mingled heady civet and red Egyptian musk, thickened with opium.

oh. my. this is disgusting on me. I wasn't afraid of no civet, not me, huh uh, I have a high tolerance for animal smells. But oh. Do I want to smell like I slathered sweet sh*t all over my wrist? No, I do not. It was, unmistakely, a fecal odor. And despite my claims of having a strong stomach, this actually made me feel nauseous.
I have washed it off, but something remains and I am not happy about it.

Oh well, gotta try them. someone will love this in a swap, I'm sure.

Not my Imp, so this'll be a quickie review.

I'm scared of this one. Apparently the Boy can wear it just fine, though, which gives me hope, and I've touched on another few blends with civet and they were... a little unnerving but not actually unpleasant, so, what's to lose?

In the Imp this was velvety-sweet opium and animal musks with a touch of something spicy. Yikes. The oil colour is the heaviest, darkest red I've ever seen. On my wrist, this is surprisingly unscary.... musky, heavy, but there's a surprisingly sharp, almost unpleasantly high-pitched sweetness to it (that's something to do with the civet, I remember it from Fire of Love), and swirling opium. It doesn't smell disgusting, but it's not really my thing, either. I'll give it a couple of minutes to dry down before I pass judgement, though.

Later: nope, definitely something slightly off about this one. It's not that it smells gross, just.... wrong. Musk and opium are heaviest, with that mingled civet note-- apparently I can wear it, which is something, I just don't like it! :P

[edit] Someone else said blood or metal-- that's exactly it. There's a disturbing metallic touch here, like the tang of copper in blood, or a scapel blade. :D

Edited by WidgetAlley

:P This reminds me of the civet sample at the Peabody Museum at Yale. Yet, there is a lovely spiciness underneath the scary civet, so I decided to try a drop from my imp.

Wet: Not as bad as I thought. Musky with exotic spices, but this is really strong.

Dry: Too strong for me. Off to swaps.

I'm a fan of civet, but I don't really notice it in Debauchery. Instead it's mostly dry spices and very woody/earthy. I don't smell much in the way of opium either, though there is a smokiness to it. Hmm, not what I was expecting at all.

After finding that vetiver, which smells bad on a lot of people, smells really good on me, I decided to try something with civet.

Ignoring the fact that it itches like hell where I dabbed it on about a minute ago, it smells like cat pee. Blergh. Don't think I'll be attempting civet again.

Edited by crazyredhead17

Wow... it seems like I'm the only one who likes this one. It is definitely a heavier scent, I don't think I'd wear it during warmer weather. I have to admit that I'm not well versed in "scent talk" (i.e., notes, etc.), but this one seems like some kind of heavy floral to my nose. I'd definitely consider a full size of this.

:P This smelled fecal in the imp and, on me, smelled like I rolled in the dirty cat box. :D I had to wash it off, stat. This goes in the swap pile.

straight sniff from imp this smells almost like a light, men's cologne...

not bad...

once applied, an entire different scenario....hello civet..... ;) B)

a teeny bit musky..... makes me feel naughty :P

ultra strong ... i think this is something i may have the boy wear

the next time we use our play room :) ... hell, i might wear it as well...

*scurries off to find my mistress duds, CFM shoes and crop :D :D *

Wow ok. I WAS thinking of buying this scent but now I don't think so. From everyone's reviews, it sounds like this scent smell's like old ladies in a nursing home,cat pee and feces.No thanks. I think if I wanna smell like sh!t, I'd much rather not bathe for a week, and I don't think that's gonna happen.Hooray for reviews!? >.> O.o :P

Out of all the scents in BPAL's general catalogue, this was the one that intrigued me the most. Not because of the notes, but because of everyone else's reaction to the notes, and one note in particular. Civet.

I've heard this scent described as everything from fecal matter to dirty babies, so it was no wonder was was scared to try this. But it was because of this I felt I HAD to try it.

When I open up the imp, I get a very feral smell. Wild, untamed, like pure pheremones. I also get a whiff the egyptian amber. Not bad, and very intriguing so far. Then I cautiously swipe it on my wrists. And I am suprisingly delighted. It's a VERY sexual scent to be sure. I defintiley wouldn't wear this for any other occasion. It's the smell of sleeping with 10 men in the same night. Not that I ever HAVE :D. It's ten different musks all layed on top of eachother. This is the pure, no holds barred sex. Nothing tender or romantic about this scent at all. I am so happy that my chemistry likes this. I don't think I would ever get a bottle, but my imp is not going to waste. :P

In Bottle: I liked this very much smelling it in the bottle, there's a very full almost ripe amber? scent with a pleasant muskiness, not offensive in any way (i had tested several florals previous to that and they all made me kind of ill) I've never smelled straight Egyptian Musk so wasn't able to pick it out, though I was particularly interested in this blend for that exact scent.

Wet on skin: So far so good, very pleasant musk scent. I definitely smell the opium, before my first BPAL order I wore Tunisian opium or sandalwood with lily of the vally fairly consistently.

Dry on skin: At first I wasn't sure if I liked it or not (i mean, i like it, but don't know if i want to keep wearing it), it's a tad strong. I love woody and resiny scents, though the first time I tried this on it smelled extremely soapy and way to dry and powdery. (i also had a cold, so decided to try it again.) After it cools down a bit it smells really nice....but it feels like it's missing something...it's a tad too dry. I might try dabbing something sweet and heavy on top like a white fleshy flower scent. I also found (i had read someone else's review mentioning this) that after washing off my wrist it smelled a little bit less sharp, which is nicer.

Later: still smells fairly consistent as it fades. Overall, I like this one a lot, though I would wear it more as a companion to something else rather than by itself. I would be very curious to smell this on a certain boy, I think.

The first thing I smell is the musk and the opium and it smells great. Then the dry down happens and something goes sour on my skin, I am only guessing that it is the civet. Unfortunately this one is going in the sale pile. :P

WOW! How strange! I got this as a freebie and tried it on just now, and I couldn't remember the notes in it - and when I looked it up, I was shocked to see it said civet!

This is the first time I've tried anything with a civet note, and I've been dying of curiosity due to all the cries of "CAT PISS!" or "DOG SHIT!" whenever people review civet scents. Now I'm blinking and wondering where all the piss and shit is... :P

It smells pretty darn good on me - familiar in ways I can't quite put my finger on. I know there's a spice note that Scherezade shares, but it's not got that feminine aura at all. It's very unmistakably masculine. Wet, it has a strong men's cologne edge, underlaid by some sort of incense - an incense I just know I've smelled before, an Indian variety I think. The cologne smell softens as it dries down and the incense comes out stronger - the Scherezade similarity intensifies somewhat as well, but it still doesn't smell feminine. I think it's the musky smell that pervades it - I'm assuming that's the civet, but the spicy incense smells are far more intense than the musk.

As I sit here typing this review it's mellowing out more and more, becoming almost soft. I get the image of a very large and dangerous cat purring sleepily.

It seems I'm one of the few, but I really like this.

Oh dear...this is one of the few "red alert" BPAL blends that just did not work on me from the start. The opium really oozes over the somewhat difficult musk and civet combination. I'm not generally opposed to civet, and it works in some blends that are dear to me, but combined with musk, which I do have a hard time with, there is unpleasantness. There is the effect of something rotting or spoiling on my skin, almost like a warm spicy milk. It's extremely unsettling, alas.

Wow...this thing is powerful! Very decadent, thick, almost intoxicating scent. Opium is the strongest note here...really stands out and becomes nearly powdery for me, but nice and kind of dizzying. I recognize the red musk from a few other bpal blends, and it blends nicely here. Not my favorite musk but I can handle it. The civet doesn't bother me. Honestly, I'm not sure I can tell it apart completely from the musk.

Overall....I don't hate this scent, and I don't love it. It smells more feminine to me and at the beginning, smells nearly like a commercial, traditional perfume, mostly because of the opium I think. After a while, the scent showed NO signs of fading or backing off, until it did eventually become too much for me. I gave it a good while, about 2 hours I think, and finally washed it off....very tenacious scent! Just not my thing, personally.

This is the first time I've tried civet in one of the blends...and well, it scares me. :P I'm sure this is a nice blend for those who like civet, but I don't want to smell like a wet furry animal.

The first time I tried this, months ago, I didn't like it and thought it smelled like bug spray. I thought this was what civet smelled like, so I thought I didn't like civet.

Then I tried some other blends that have civet in them, and I realized that I actually do like civet. I just don't like it with opium as well as in other blends. Instead of balancing out the civet the opium seems to push it further in that heady civety direction.

I kinda like this, but 'm not sure if I like it enough to want to wear it because it's still a little much for me. It smells mature and grown-up... kind of sopisticated. It smells like a perfumey perfume. More traditional than most BPAL oils, I think.

I should say that I think this smells good on me, it's just that I like other civet blends better.

Quite animalistic, indeed...

I smell a similarity to Fire of Love, as someone mentioned above... there is a dusty quality, too... possibly from my beloved opium.

Debauchery is quite a rich, dark, musky scent. It isn't as horrible as I remember thinking upon first trying it, but I think it's too male for my tastes. I'm not going to bother holding on to it, as I can't picture my current flame slathering himself in this... and I'm not sure I'd want to smell it on him, anyway.

In vial: Thick opium, sweet. Musky.

On skin: I like this. The opium is strong and gorgeous. There's a hint of sharpness here, from the civet maybe.

Drydown: Oh dear, this has taken such a wrong turn. It smells like gasoline. And it had such promise!

in vial, strong and masculine (like an after shave lotion)

on skin: opium and musk, no civet so far. still very strong, but not bad.

drydown: there's the civet and it works with my skin chemistry but very animalistic, i'm almost afraid to wear this. could be a lovely cold weather scent when you feel.. naughty.

In the bottle: Hm... nope, no cat pee. To me, it smells a lot like incense. And like someone spilled cola on a hot sidewalk and it went all syrupy and thick. And a hint of mothballs. It's a bit weird, but somehow not unpleasant.

On, wet: More mothballs...? Maybe this is what civet smells like to me? I'm not really sure... But it's not overpowering. There's a lot of really nice incense in there too. I can smell the musk, but I'm not really sure what opium should smell like. Maybe that's what I'm smelling as incence?

Drying: ok... yeah... the mothballs is turning into the old-lady-in-a-home smell somoene else mentioned. It's not super strong, but I don't really like it either. It's also gone a little soapy. *sigh* Guess this one isn't for me.

A little later... Well the old lady is gone, which is nice. But it's still a bit soapy. I can see why some people said masculine, it does smell like a cologne to me now, and actually it might smell really nice on a man. It reminds me of a certain incense scent that a friend of mine used to really like. I think it was called 'rain' or somesuch. So I guess she would probably like this one, if it smelled close to that on her too. Maybe I'll send it to her. :D

On a side note... where's the sex!? I didn't get any of that overpowering sexiness. I'm a bit dissapointed. :P

ETA: Ok, the more I smell this, the more I want to put it on the boyfriend. I guess I was expecting a kind of sensual, curvy female sexiness, but smelling it now I keep thinking "damn this would be sexy on a guy"...

Edited by Shahmeran

The good news: this didn't smell remotely like cat pee on me.

Being a newb, I had not, until just now, experienced the horror that happens when my skin did the Wrong Thing ™ with a BPAL oil. Naturally, it happened with a scent with a really strong throw -- and of course, I jerked on opening the imp, soaking the label and my thumb with a few fat drops. I bemoaned the reduction of the still-nearly-full imp to frimp status, should I have to part with it (in my eyes, anyway), and applied as usual when testing these.

Within a few minutes, I smelled like tobacco. No, I think I need to bold that: I smelled like TOBACCO! Fresh tobacco, not burnt, but in that "I am standing inside a humidor" way. And I don't like to be within three feet of Mr. Hubby when he's had a cigar, so this was not pleasant. I struggled through the initial drydown, but it was still so unpleasant that pretty quickly, I went for the soap and then the alcohol.

Edit, quite a while later: I've had a 180-degree turnaround from my initial reaction, or maybe my hormones were in a flurry when I first tried Debauchery, or maybe it's one of those blends for which a little goes a long way. But now I've come to appreciate it a great deal, particularly layered under other oils (Urd or Dance of Death come to mind) to cut the sweetness. In fact, all you haters can send your unused Debauchery to me! :P

Edited by LadyCrow

I think this is the first blend with civet I've tried. It smells sweetish and a little mothbally. The opium seems to be a little more dominant on me. Not something I'd wear, but interesting to try.

Apparently my chemistry is completely whacko. I can't detect ANY civet in this blend. Instead, I get an overwhelming odor of sharp opium and laundry detergent.. Not pleasing to me at all. I am so confused...