Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Debauchery

A sinful, licentious scent: self-indulgent and luxurious. Mingled heady civet and red Egyptian musk, thickened with opium.

This is something I'd be afraid to put on my own skin, but I think it could be *very* sexy on my man.

Imp: tons of civet and musk. No opium in the imp so far.

Wet: Musky, dirty....it smells like a female college friend's room, actually. Totally reminds me of debauchery and sensuality.

Drydown: This is a really nice dark musky smell that definitely reminds me of sex. However, I could only get away with wearing it in certain situations.

Whoa, this smells just as dark as the oil actually is! It's a deep, reddish brown.

I'm getting mostly musk here. The opium adds a tinge of almost-spicy floral, and I swear that I also smell patchouli. But it's mostly dirty musk.

It's not terrible, but I'm not in swoon mode.

Sexy, dirty musk. Try this if you like Smut.

3.3 out of 5

This sounds promising, but I'm unsure about the civet. We'll see.

In imp: It's dark. This is good; dark-colored scents usually do well on me. *sniff* Sharp. Interesting.

Wet: For some reason, this reminds me of my grandparents' house. I doubt they had a civet cat hidden away, or smoked opium, and the thought of them anywhere near Egyptian musk does not compute. No idea here. Still sharp.

Dry: Still reminds me of my grandparents' house. Sharp and vital, yes, but completely at odds with how they were. This is a puzzle, but I'll likely never solve it.

Verdict: Meh. It's ok, I won't run to wash it off, but it goes in the swap pile.

Later: OH GODS HEADACHE. :P

I SO hoped this one would work for me, I like dark scents, they usually work well. It was not to be.

In the imp: Dark musk, something sharp, a bit of opium, very nice.

Fresh on the wrist: OPIUM, with a bit of the musk and must be the civet in the background.

Dry down: OPIUM clubbing everything else to death.

*sigh* Apparently my skin totally amps opium. So it's off to swaps. On the bright side, I now know that civet does not disagree with me.

i hadn't read any of the reviews of this before wishlisting it, as i picked it out on notes alone.

aaand...i totally lucked out! this is really gorgeous!

i am one of the lucky ones who can wear civet without smelling like pee/poo, am not overpowered by heavy musks, and LOVE opium. the blend of these three notes here is amazing. it does have that 'opium den' incense & resin smell, but it also has a delicious syrupy sweetness and from somewhere, LOTS of spice! i am actually quite thrilled by the spiciness. real spice notes (cinnamon, saffron, ginger, clove, pepper) tend to amp to gaggingly overpowering levels on me but whatever is giving the spice note here is just the perfect amount- this is how i WANT the other spices to smell!

this is a warm golden reddish bronze scent, that if i had to put a visual to, it would be a harem full of gorgeous women drinking mead & smoking opium while slathered in rich musky unguents & fragrant oils, and eating crispy, hot from the oven spice cakes dripping with thick golden brown syrup.

yeah, i get "sweet food" impressions where everyone else gets animal, sex, and toilet scents. then again even "czernobog" smells sweet & delicious on me.

this ones a winner, and going on the big bottle wishlist for sure.

imp: this is a very dusty, musky smell.

wet: this is ultra-sharp opium on my skin and nothing but. and whoa is it ever strong.

dry: well, it's a bit of a spicy opium/musk mix but i'm just not accustomed to that.much.opium. way to strong for me.

The civet smells disgusting in the imp, but on (aren't I brave?), the scent mellows nicely. A touch of opium with a nice musk behind it. Something's a bit powdery, too...probably the civet, because I'm certainly not smelling it now. It's okay.

In bottle; Smells weirdly industrial, like chemical cleaners. Wet: chemicals with musk and civet. My guess is that I’m parsing the synthetic civet as it’s component parts. It lightens to something slightly sweeter and vaguely sexy as it blends better on the skin and heats. Almost no throw. Dry: super soft pleasant light musk.

From the files of Dick Streetsmart, Private Investigator

I knew the minute I saw her she was trouble. Dark red and thick in the imp, with a label that went all the way up, if you know what I...you get the picture.

"Mr. Streetsmart, I need your help." She oozed out of the imp, toward me. I could smell the heady scent of civet and enough musk to give an ox a long-lasting amorous attachment to the lady. There was something else, something underneath, just trying to get out...

"What could you need my help with, sweetheart?" I asked, trying not the let the musk go to my head. This scent was not the kind your average choir girl would wear, or the girl you took home to mother. No, despite her obvious sophistication, this girl knew how to roll her own cigarettes and would burn down your house just to light it. I shook my head to clear it a little.

She got up and walked around the desk, looking out the window. "I'm worried about my reputation." She tossed a look over her shoulder, batting her eyelashes. I wasn't fooled. She might order wine, but this girl was all whiskey. "You see, people think that because I've got some musk in me, I'm...well, I'm bad."

"I still don't see how I come into the picture, doll." Something smoky was coming out now, and something slightly sweet. "Don't get all smoky in here--say, there ain't tobacco in you, is there?"

Her eyes opened wide. "No, of course not!" There it was again, that...something...underneath all the civet and musk. She might not be tobacco, but there was definitely a sweetness to her that was not sugar, spice, or anything nice.

I stood up, throwing back my chair. She jumped back from me, eyes still wide, but wary. "The game is up, honey--I know your angle. I can smell it from here!"

"I...I don't know what you're talking about!" She kept backing away, but I was on the scent now.

"Opium!" I strode across the room, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Tell me that underneath that musk there's not opium!"

"Let me go," she snarled. She sure could turn quickly. The sweetness and the smoke were clear now, in the drydown. "You're just like all the rest of them! You think that because I'm Egyptian musk and opium, I'm all about sex! I'm not, I tell you, I'm not!"

"Lady, from what I see, you're just too much for an average joe like me. I'm sorry, but..."

"Don't say it!" she wailed.

I felt bad, but I had to. "Swaps, sweetheart. Don't cry, kid. Somebody out there, somewhere, they'll love you the way you're meant to be loved. Someone with the right skin chemistry, who can look past your notes and will wear you any time of day."

"Do you...do you really think so?" she sniffled. I wasn't sure, but I can't stand to see a dame cry. Call it a weakness.

"Sure, I think so. Say, I didn't catch your name, anyway."

She shook herself free, and walked over the the door. Before walking out she turned her tearstained face to me. "Debauchery."

Here's my tale of Debauchery.....

I received this as a frimp the Lab -- Thank You Labbies!!!!

As is my custom, I sat down at my BPAL spreadsheet and copied the notes from all my free imps into the "description" column.

Civet? I'm afraid of civet!!!!!!

But then the idea grows on me, especially after I try another frimp from the same order -- Bien Loin d'Ici -- and find a few seconds of red musk heaven before something else takes over and runs away with the scent. Maybe this red musk thing is worth a shot after all? AND I read a post which strongly compared Debauchery to Opium, a commercial scent I love. And I should at least try civet before making a decision, so I know if it's bad on me. Frankly, it can't be as bad as rose or vanilla on my skin, and those notes pop up in everything.

Disaster strikes. I misplaced the Debauchery imp! Perhaps I will never find out if I like civet or not! Perhaps I will be forced to spend $3.50 on ANOTHER imp of Debauchery to try the scent?

Luckily, after of two weeks of intense hunting (and moaning and loudly complaining, "Where's my imp? I lost my imp? Did you take it?") the imp is located and I am free to try the scent, finally!

Guh. YUM. Oh YES PLEASE. Debauch me some more. This doesn't morph much on me -- it's pretty much straight spicy musk from start to finish, but such a lovely warm elegant musk, I just can't get enough! I smell like an old, extremely well-kept, very expensive mink coat. I love this. I must have more. I must order a big bottle yesterday. I see myself as the ultimate chic sophisticate while wearing this. The kind of woman who wears a little couture suit, and who makes you constantly wonder what exactly she's got on underneath.

And how to put this delicately.... there is a suggestion occasionally given to a woman that she might consider wearing her own scent dabbed behind their ears for an evening where she particularly wants to seduce. Debauchery makes me feel like I've taken this suggestion to heart, then layered a lovely musk over the top so as not to be too obvious.

Now for the tragic ending.

My husband hates it. "Sickening sweet" he says. WAH!!!!!! Can I just wear it when he's not around? Doesn't that kind of destroy the point? Will it grow on him? Is there something with similar notes that will appeal to him? My heart is breaking......

Best,

Tzi

ETA (yes, it IS five years later): I tried this same imp again this week and it was full-on opium from start to finish. Did it not age well? Did I not recognize the note back in my wee perfume youth? Anyway, I do like opium, but not straight up, so I will be looking elsewhere for my civet!

Edited by tziporra

By grace of the fabulous Civeteers, with MoonArcana as topnote:

For me, this ends up being almost a variation of Hellion, of all things!

I get an astounding, dark but slightly grape-y freshness at first, which feels odd to me.

Then it goes all red musky with a bit of cedar, patchouliness and a little sweetness.

It continues to sweeten to an almost Smut-like moment, then it grows a bit darker, kind of sweaty.

Stays pretty close to the skin, barring that initial fresh jolt. Not a lot of throw on me.

Alas, I'm not debauched. It's almost schoolgirlishly civil -- a lass wearing her mother's best fuck-me pumps and smeared lipstick to the local soda joint for a milk shake. Must be that sweet freshness that skips it along. Cedar? Civet? Civet and cedar? Beats me, but she's barely legal.

Gonna be trouble when she is, though. :P

In Vial: Ew! Sharp

Wet: This smells like the oldest of old and the stalest of stale.

Dry: This did not change much from ;wet; still smells like old, stale perfume.

oooh - I would have been very upset if I didn't like a perfume called Debauchery, since sensual over-indulgence is my middle name. (OK, it's really Anne...but whatever!)

Red musks can be hit or miss on me, but this one permeates the blend gloriously and is complimented very well by the decadent opium resin. I'm sure the civet probably adds a little *RAWRRR* to the mix, but after having the opportunity to try several civet-y scents at once I would say that its contribution to Debauchery is delegated to the background...those other two showy divas are definitely taking over the main stage.

Though it's not a scent that I would necessarily over-indulge in wearing, I definitely like it and can only imagine that the hedonistic rich quality will intensify as the perfume ages.

Another happy traveler in the Civet Evangelism Circle :P

I don't know that I've tried any other scents with civet in them before this one.

I tried this without checking the notes (it was a frimp with another order)....if I had checked the notes and seen the dreaded red musk of D00M, I would likely not have tested it at all.

As red musk scents go, it's not bad on me. It certainly does not turn into the

scary clown vomit

that most bpals with red musk do on my skin.

The blend overall is incredibly heady and almost cloying with animalistic incense. Those alone would probably make me want to wear this to seduce my husband and stalk him like a great cat (ok, so I need to try out more civet based blends, apparently).

Unfortunately, I think the red musk (hopefully not the civet) is making this give me a dusty headache, so I don't think I'll wear this one too much. Pity.

Edited to add....this ended up giving me such a headache that I had to take a bath and vigorously scrub it off with my sandalwood soap, and then slather myself with TKO. Headache is now fading, thank goodness.

Edited by scarletgenesis

ooh. sexy. this is quite unisex on me, almost leather-smelling... and fortunately nothing that belongs in a toilet instead of a frimp! i will see what this one smells like on my boy. can't rule out wearing it myself if a majorly femme fatale mood ever strikes.

I've had this one for ages so it's possible it had time to age and become something it wasn't when I actually revceived it. When it first came to me the civet (and the reviews) scared me away from it and made me reach for other imps in the batch instead, leaving this one to age in the dark, and I found it not long ago when I was searching through my stash to see if I had something with red musk.

It's deep and dark and sweet and sexy.. It dries down to a velvet-y red musk heaven I can't tear my nose away from. I sense a little SMUT, one of my all time faves, only without all the sugar.

It's absolutely gorgeous now.

Maybe it always was but I didn't take time to test it for real, maybe it's become this good because it had time to age. I don't know. But I know it's bottle-material now. :P

I’ve been putting off trying this one again because my notes indicate that I didn’t like it the first time. Of course, that was quite a long time ago.

So, trying to have an open mind, I dab a bit onto my right wrist.

First impression: mmm, opium. I lurve me some opium.

Second impression: red musk. Wow, great combination! Now there’s something almost grape-like in here, which I believe is the sweet smooth opium blending with the red musk. Wow, this is really good, sweet, sexy, smoky, musky. What’s not to love? Thus far the civet hasn’t come out in full force but I’m sure it must be adding to the sexiness of the scent.

It is quite sweet now. The smooth powder smoke of the opium remains and mixes with that high sweetness. The red musk provides an oh so sexy base.

This scent was such a shocker. I had it colored in dark grey, meaning this oil could not be too far me. I’m amazed at how my nose has changed over the years.

Wow, thanks civet circle for prodding me into trying this one again!

I like this one! It's a mix between Perversion and Dragon's Blood on me.

I smell a lot of cherry, which must be the red musk. This dies down after a while and it turns really vanilla-sweet on me, then fades away. It lasts longer than many scents on me, though.

I ordered a bottle of this from the start, because I was looking for a scent with similar notes that was my favorite from another supplier who is now out of business. I was looking for a mix of egyptian musk and civet so I picked this out right away. I was a little disappointed to find that it really didn't smell much like my coveted favorite at all, but Debauchery has grown on me. I do like musky, dirty smells, so I think it was destined to become something I can wear. I've never smelled anything else with opium in so I am not sure how much of an effect it has, but there is definitely, as others have said, a sharp, animalistic feel to this one, that is quite overpowering, but sexy just the same. I can see how some would be put off by it. I, however, am not a fan of light florals and such, and it doesn't change on me to anything unsavory, so I dig it. My man seems to jump on me when I'm wearing it, though he denies it is anything to do with the scent, I think it may be subconscious :P

in the imp: yep- that's civet musk and opium, alright. :P

wet on skin: the opium is becoming the top note, the civet adding a nice smoky quality to it.

dry down: the civet has taken over!

in all: a deep, smoky resinous blend. i could see some foolish people using this is the Dark Arts- THAT'S how deep this is. for us more...discriminating viewers, this is good oil for power on a dark winter's night.

:D

Whoa! Civet horror!

And in the end, it took a baking soda and dish soap scrub to get it off my skin. :P

This was disturbingly CLEAN on my skin. I didn't have anyone smell of it to be sure, but all I smelled was the crystalline Egyptian musk, and the hazy opium. This was like crystal on me, very pretty. It made me wonder if I just don't smell musk, and I'm afraid to actually wear this - in case others smell the dreaded civet when I don't. I may try it and have someone sniff me :P

(eta: much much later -- Im still afraid to even test this one, but I have the URGE to retest because of the smell I remember. I may have to keep an imp around after all)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Got an imp of this and didn't try it until yesterday. Wow is all I can say.

In the imp: Smells spicy, sweet and...well thick...plus something that my nose is picking up as a tinge of carbonation (yeah go figure).

On wet: Similar to the imp only sweeter and heavier. It smells amazing!

Drydown: BEAUTIFUL! OMG, this is quite possibly my new signature scent. I adore this! It smells sweet, sexy, strong, kind of dark...it's just breathtaking. Definitely getting a 5 ml of this ASAP!

Conclusion: I love it...I passed by my mother and she loved it (and she HATES perfume), my grandma loved it, my BF thought it burned his throat a little (but that's because I slathered it on and he's very sensitive to BPAL scents), but who cares! I love it and am definitely getting a bigger bottle. :P

This is wonderfully musky and opiumy and I am almost on debauchery's team, but I'm afraid civet just takes it in a direction I don't want to go. This is really similar to Hunter Moon.

I know all of Beth's civet/ambergis are actually bouquets and not the real thing, but damn if this doesn't remind me of straight wolverine pee. You may wonder how I know the smell of wolverine waste. Trust me, I am expert. Beth is just that talented.

So yeah, while I seem to LOVE faux-whale puke, I can't handle faux-cat glandular secretions. Go figure.

Edited by Ohmaude