Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Carnation

This scent manages to avoid the dusty old-lady typicality of carnations by maintaining the flower's *wetness* and subtle, peppery scent. Elizabeth has a knack for seeming to capture the whole flower, pistil, stamen and stem in her florals. The just-cut-floweredness of this one is no exception.

This is really beautiful and exactly like the lovely old fashioned and highly scented Malmaison Carnations!!!! Amazing.

I have always loved the clovey scent of carnations or pinks in a summer garden. This scent transports me there instantly. :P

Thank you for this one Elizabeth!

Sinéad

I'm in LOVE with a Single Note! This is the core of LUSH's Potion lotion, only better! Spicy, creamy, and sophisticated! WONDERFUL!

*content sigh*

So yummy....so, so yummy! I can't begin to explain how happy I am to have gotten ahold of a 5ml of this, plus I have another imp on the way still. This is the BEST floral smell ever. And I'm no fan of florals in general. But carnation is so spicey and warm! I love buying fresh carnations and this smells just like the real thing sitting in the vase right next to me.

SO sad the single notes had to be discontinued :P

Wow, this is good! Alice is my favorite scent, so I was a bit puzzled when I sniffed a bouquet of carnations and could only smell "plant." This single note is spicy, like light cloves, with that same green "plant" smell underneath. I think I'll keep this one. :P

This is what I love about Potion, Maiden, Old Morocco and any other perfumes/scents that has Carnation in it. This scent is perfect and spicy and there is a slight green note that I detect.

I wish I had gotten more bottles, because I love Carnation so much.

Fortunately, I ordered an imp of Carnation before Beth discontinued it. It's one of my favorite floral scents, and it's very difficult to find a 'true' carnation perfume oil...but this is definitely the real deal.

Sweet and spicey as you'd expect, but also just a bit musky. There is an oh-so-subtle bitter greenness in the topnote, like the leaves and stem of a living carnation.

It's wonderful to experience a single-note floral that isn't fake or overly sweet. I'll cherish my little Carnation impy!

This carnation scent is completely amazing. When I first opened the imp, it smelled *exactly* the way it does when you open the coolers at a florist's, which happens to be one of my all time favorite scents.

This scent continued during the wet stage, with clove becoming more and more prominent as the scent dried.

It ended intensely clove-y, but I do like the clove scent. And the wet stage of the scent is sublime.

Ooh...spicy and sweet. Awesome. It's a tad more spicy than I tend to think of carnations as being, but my friend--a carnation freak--approved heartily of this one. This will definitely be a keeper, though it does seem a bit short-lived on my skin and will require multiple applications.

Carnations have never been a favorite of mine, probably because of the clove-like scent they put off. I love to look at them, but you won't catch me sticking my nose in one if I can help it.

In spite of that, I think that carnation works beautifully the way Beth uses it in blends. It doesn't hurt any that the single note she starts with is such a true, robust, sweetened scent - for me, it's more like carnations before they get too far into bloom and the clove scent, still holding onto that delicate sweetness deep inside.

Very true, and with a hint of green; almost like the green cup at the bottom of the flower (I have no idea what that part of a flower is called - where all the petals are held together at the top of the stem) got processed along with the petals and interior workings. Carnation lovers will sigh with delight over this remarkably accurate single note.

Carnation ~

This is so close to the flower it's just incredible. I so wish I had gotten a bottle of it. I love this so much, and I'm so happy that I had at least an imp of it to enjoy.

Carnation

Oh, how I adore the scent of carnations! This single note is beautiful--sweet but very spicy.

Oh my god.

This is frickin' gorgeous.

The green floral with light spice... fading to a creamy green spice...

this scent is a delight from start to finish. It smells like a freshly cut carnation, only it is the most perfect, freshest, most highly fragranced carnation of all time.

This scent has great staying power as well - it lasts all day long!

I was so lucky to get a couple of imps of this from babykitty after she spotted it on my wishlist...

A beautiful scent, strong but not overpowering, and sweet, spicy and sexy. I'm gutted that the single note of this had to be discontinued, but on the other hand, it's so concentrated that you only need a dab or two, so my imps will last me a while!

at first: the spicy, green scent of carnations. i love it!

on: fresh carnations. beautiful.

1.5 hours later: this is so bad on me. i can't quite descibe it; it's kind of like musty plastic.

3 hours later: still very gross on me.

overall: i ended up getting rid of my imp because this smelled sweaty and gross on me. at least carnation smells good on me when it's combined with other things.

Fabulous! gorgeous, fresh sweet carnations, i love it! (carnations are my fav flower) this captures fresh carnations perfectly!

This may well be my favorite of all the single notes I have been lucky enough to try or acquire... I love carnations and I mourn the fact that they don't even seem have that much fragrance anymore, at least the ones most florists carry. Beth captured the perfect carnation in this single note, sweet, spicy and just a little hint of "green." There are enough nuances to this that you can wear it alone, which I love. It's such a great example of the fabulous single notes BPAL produced...

In bottle: It's a bit spicier than the flowers in the store. I can't tell if that's the fault of the essential oil or the weakened state of mass-produced flowers, tho'.

On me: This is perfect. It smells exactly like a carnation in full bloom, fresh cut from the plant. Spicy and green and subtle in scent.

Fresh carnations!! I think this is white carnation (at least, it smells a bit like Ava-Luxe's white carnation). Powdery and spicy and fresh and gorgeous! :D

Edit: It's dried down a bit, and it's getting sort of sharp...stupid body chemistry :P

Edited by joseybird

I keep saying I'm not a floral person.

I love carnation. :P

Carnation in single note form is beautiful, like a fresh picked flower.

I'm now able to figure out what that spicy thing is in Alice and other scents I like. That's carnation! :D

And it likes me back!

I must keep it. It would be wrong not to.

Now this is an interesting scent!

It starts out pure, rich carnation blossom plus a nice peppery-ness. (What can I say, I've never noticed carnation to be peppery before!) My skin quickly eats most of the carnation blossom sweetness, leaving peppery slightly green carnation stems with just a hint of blossom. Oddly it's old blossom that's been on the restaurant table for a couple of days, not fresh anymore. My skin chemistry is just bizarre.

This is just fascinating. And yummy. It reminds me alot of Three Witches (I guess that'd be the pepper in there.) I must go see what blends have this oil!

Add me to the ranks of those sad that it's been discontinued.

Bottle (Imp): This might be very surprising, but this smells like carnations.

Just On: This smells so true to carnations, I would swear there was one here if I didn't know better.

An hour or two later: Carnations, carnations, carnations.

Around 6 hours: Faint carnations.

12 hours: No more carnations.

Overall: This is so true and dead on.

After reading other reviews: I have to agree with EEEEEEVerybody who said this was the true scent of carnations. Not much else to add to that, is there?

119811662.jpg

BPAL blends which include Carnation as one of it's ingredients:

Alice, Bathsheba, Brisingamen, Carnivàle, Desdemona, Dreamland, Fée (Naughty or Nice blend), Gypsy Queen, Love In The Asylum, Maenad, Maiden, Masquerade, Morocco, Moscow, Pink Moon, Queen Of Spades, Saint-Germain, The Caterpillar.

In the bottle

Oh my, the most beautiful carnation scent ever.

On

It powdery soft and fresh yet it has that spicy carnation scent as well. It smells light pink to me. :P

30 minutes

It's so marvelous. There isn't anything to change for the better in Beth's single note Carnation. It's perfect. I only wish it would last longer but carnation is like that on me, so wafting, soft and fleeting.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

*the sound of a baseball getting hit clear outta the ballpark*

Purchase again?

Yes. a 10ml if that were only possible.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet