Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

Vial: Dragon's blood resin & sweet red wine.
Wet: Sweet wine, then resin. The resin isn't as strong in this as it is in other blends with dragon's blood resin. The wine in Blood Rose smells exactly like the same sweet red scent I get from Lady MacBeth. Wine notes love my skin & sometimes I get false readings off the scent because the wine can smell fruity on me. Usually this happens when I wear anything with a sweet red wine note in it (like Lady MacBeth, though that one was much sweeter due to the currants). I caught a bit of rose in the wet stage, but not a whole lot.
Dry: Sweet wine scent fades, the resin gets stronger, & then meet in the middle. There's resin & sweet wine, but the sweet wine fades in & out of the resin. I'm not picking up any rose, which is good. I despise roses.

This was a real big surprise to me - I thought I would hate this one, but I decided to try it & see how it wears. It wears great on me. Definitely a keeper. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Sweet liquor and Dragons Blood the Roses are just hinted.

On my skin: At the very begining I get a heavy scent of sweet and roses but almost immediatly the scent goes to almost pure roses. The first time I tried it I tried it with several other scents and at this point I became very disappointed because I am not a huge Rose fan.

About 10-15mins in: Tada WOW!!!! The Rose has moved into the background and though still there now I have this amazingly lovely foreground scent of the Dragons Blood and the wine is sneaking up also. I love this sexy womanly blend. It just feels like the most perfect blend of sexy, sweet and sultry.

I am very new to BPAL and I am so happy that this was in my first grouping. I think past the first wear it is one of my favs. I can't say that doesn't make me happy since I had already chosen to use my old handle blood*rose*flowers (from The Cure album and Tori Amos Song) its great to know that I love the Blood Rose scent :P

In the imp and right after applying~Rich, spicy sweet Dragon's Blood, YUM!!

As it dries the rose comes shining through, wet & in full bloom. Not picking up on the wine. Other than perhaps a *very* subtle tartness.

After 15-20 minutes it mostly rose. Which is what usually happens with me and any rose blends. However, this one didn't give me a headache or cause uncontrollable sneezing :D Possibly due to the Dragon's Blood resin, which has always been a favorite and works beautifully w/my chemistry.

Nice throw & staying power.

This one also reminds me of Persephone, although more...grown up & daring. Bolder. This is rich, sexual, bloody. Beautiful.

ETA: Second time I put this on it was, "HEY KOOL AID!!". Mega-sweet grape kool aid to be exact(the wine, I imagine). But again, dried down to a beautiful, spicy sweet, wet rose. Layered it a bit of Blood Kiss and its even more beautiful :P

Definitely going on the big bottle list. To wear alone *and* to layer when the mood strikes.

Edited by Eros

This just became my favorite rose blend. It’s just as the Lab describes: lovely juicy rose, wine, and dragon’s blood resin.

This is my favorite kind of rose, very full and smooth and sexy. The wine has been staying on me so far, which I am very happy about since it faded away instantly in Wanda. This scent is almost fruity, but it feels more grounded without being dark. I do wish it were darker, however. Maybe layering this with a bit of de Sade would work.

I might get a big bottle of this.

In the bottle: dragon's blood and rose, with a hint of something else I can't place

First on: Black Rose smelled like molding flowers on me, and this one is going the same route. The sweetness is becoming a sickly sweet, like one left out to rot for too long.

Drydown: While I didn't have to wash it off, this one is not meant for me. It smelled like rotting flowers in the heat with something sickly sweet on top of it.

An imp of Blood Rose was hiding. Why not?

Wet: cherry-roses.

As it dries, becomes incense and roses, then more incense and less rose until rose is negligable. The overall scent is barely detectable as well. All this in the space of about 15 minutes, sadly.

Not smitten.

Hey ... combines with The Red Queen quite well. Who knew?

Bottle (Imp): Ooh, spicy roses.

Just On: Spicy roses, and my skin is already trying to turn this to soap.

An hour or two later: Yeah, it's really great in the imp, and then my skin destroys it.

Around 6 hours: Still a bit of sweet soap.

12 hours: It's gone now.

Overall: I'm not so sure about wearing this one, but I would love to use a scent locket, or perhaps use it as a room scent. It's gorgeous until my skin wrecks it. I so wish I could wear roses, but so far it's just not working. I'm not giving up yet though.

After reading other reviews: I never got the wine out of this one, and of course no grapes or fruit either.

I love all of Beth's rose scents, and this one is definitely no exception! I think the wine and dragon's blood really balance well with the rose that it's not overpowering rose. I think even people who aren't rose lovers would really enjoy this. I would say it's a cross between Spellbound and Black Rose. Gorgeous! Not at all powerdery and not overly sweet. Just lovely! :P

Blood Rose has got to be my absolute favorite scent from the lab :P

It smells like the most luscious, sweet, ripe grape with a touch of cherry ... the rose scent mixes beautifully in this blend and is not overpowering.....and the dragon's blood rounds everything out to the most spectacular blend with my chemistry.....

This is on my list for a big ol' 10 ml with my next lab order :D

Edited by sookster

First Impression: Sweet, rotting flowers.

Dries down to: The rose quickly steps out, throws a lasso around the dragon blood and reins it in - then the two of them begin to do the two-step, each taking turns leading the other in a perfectly executed dance. It settles down to a warm, comforting yet voluptuous scent that will be lovely in the winter.

Additional Comments: I don't actually pick up the wine note, but it must be what keeps both the dragon's blood and rose under control.

Lasted: Most of the day, which is very unusual for me.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

in the imp: very strong fruity wine scent which reminds me of Nosferatu; that's just fine because I love the winey fruity note in Nosferatu.

wet: still strong fruity wine, but I smell something a bit powdery--I assume that's the dragon's blood resin. It's not baby powder; I like this powder. Occasionally I get a faint hint of rose, but it's very fleeting.

drydown: the fruity scent is blending with the powder and they're perfectly balanced. Sometimes I get a hint of spice. There's no rose at all now.

dry: fruity powder, and I mean that in a good way. It lasted almost all day, which is good.

I bought this because I love roses, but even though I never got any rose off of this I love it. :P I'm so glad I bought 5 ml! I'll probably reapply during the afternoon, though; this isn't a scent locket perfume. It doesn't come to life until applied to the skin. :D

A beautiful, red rosey scent with a kick. The red rose is top note, which is always fine by me, and it's slightly debauched by a lovely, almost fruity wine undertone. The wine stikes me more as a sangria smell than an alcoholy merlot smell. It's really pretty, I would categorize it as a heady women's perfume type scent. I like almost all Beth's rose blends, and this one is no exception. :P

Wet on me this is predominantly spicy dragons blood resin with slightly sharp red wine in the background and occassion wafts of rose. I have to say on/for me the three different aspects didn't seem to sit very well together. Dry on me it's very similar (perhaps unsurpisingly) to Blood, it's all spicy dragons blood, which is good, but I think I'll stick to Blood.

This would be fabulous on me if it weren't for the red wine. In the imp, it was cough syrup, which was disappointing. On the dry-down, the dragon's blood resin makes an appearance, and the rose is following faintly behind that, but the wine is beating them all down and making this scent very sweet and fruity on me. I really want the dragon's blood and rose to win this battle, but it seems that the wine is just too strong. Too fruity on me...love the resin + rose thing, though! It's just a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Dragon's Blood strikes again. I've never come across a scent that hates me this much before. My friend described this to me as 'juicy roses', so I was interested enough to try the imp.

The dragon's blood still overpowers everything. The wine manages to come through a bit, but I don't like the boozy fruity quality mixed in with the smell of rotting wildflowers.

I don't get any rose from this, which is odd because rose usually comes through pretty strongly on my skin. I feel like the dragon's blood got drunk and murdered the roses.

this was my first brush with dragon's blood. i thought i had smelled it before, but wasn't sure. now i know i have. this reminds me of stores i went into that sold oils and incense.

i have tried other wine/rose combinations- some work, some don't. with blood rose, wine is the faintest, and i mostly smell the dragon's blood and rose. it smells like burnt cherries and roses to me, which really isn't my thing.

however, this doesn't stop me from wanting to try other dragon's blood scents. :P

Edited by theseagrows

This scent was both good and bad to me. Good, in that it's a really nice full-bodied rose, an excellent example of a deep red rose perfume; bad in that I think I must finally face the fact that I love roses when they bloom on the plant, but don't actually like them on my skin. Maybe it's skin chemistry, maybe it's that they have too strong a memory connection with another member of my family (I feel like I'm wearing something that's meant for her, not me), but either way, I think I'll steer clear of roses for a while. Too bad, though, because these are truly beautiful roses, at least before they get on my skin and do the memory dance.

This scent took me utterly by surprise. I never would have ordered it, it was a frimp. And out of my entire order, this was by far my favorite. It was also my first big bottle.

Lemme preface this by saying Rose & I do not get along. It is a very rare day when we do.

But both in the bottle & on my skin, I rarely get the faintest whiff of rose at all. What it isn't is floral; what it IS is dead sexy, to my nose. It is heady & intoxicating & somehow very GOTH to me, though I have no idea why. This is one I would never have the balls to wear to work; it seems as though it would be almost obscene. It's simply too sexy to grace the cinder-block walls of a factory, I guess. If this scent were a person, it would be that one brazen young woman in the office whose skirts are always just a smidge too short, her tops always cut just a wee bit too low. The women cut her disapproving glances over pursed lips & the men turn as she walks by, but she goes through each day seemingly oblivious to it all--or maybe she just doesn't care.

I remember Spencers Gifts smelling like this when I was just a little thing, and when I mentioned it to the boyfriend, he agreed. I always did love that smell. Now I know where to find it. Too perfect.

In the imp: Thick sweet resiny cherry.

Wet: The Dragon's blood pops out more and more with the dark fruity wine scent.

Drydown: After about 2 minutes the rose comes out in the background, my body tones it down I think, which is pleasant for me. The dragon's blood and wine are more dominant and continue to mix well. Didn't last so long, though, like most others.

Overall: Love love LOVE the wine/dragon's blood mix! I think my body likes DB resin and hates amber. It's such a charming and sexual scent that I think I shall keep it for some special date nights. I think Nick might like this on me, the wine... what a wino! :P

MM! I traded my bottle of peitho for a bottle of this on a whim, and I'm pleasantly surprised. This is like a rosy version of Dragon's Heart to me... which I love.

At first it smells like sweet red wine.. on my skin it develops the rose nicely, it's not too obnoxious or powdery. The dragon's blood adds a spicy sweetness that really complements the rose. This actually smells like wanda without the violets and musk. Soo... it smells like the best components in wanda.

I really like this, it's a more feminine alternative to dragon's heart, and I can savor this while I'm waiting for my bottle of DH to arrive.

I put this on after my shower last night. At first, I smelled like very sweet cherries. After a while, a touch of metal was added - this pleased me very much. After an hour, I got a strong whiff of sour wine - it was really bad, and I thought that was it for me and Blood Rose. I didn't wash it off before bed, though.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and stumbled to the bathroom. When I returned to the bedroom, half asleep, I was surrounded by the most wonderful smell, like bowls of just-cut roses. At first, I thought, ``Cool - I have a ghost who loves roses.'' Then I woke up and realized the wonderful smell was me!

I guess Blood Rose and I are friends after all.

In the bottle it's nice, very sweet, prominently rose with a complexity to its sweetness.

Wet: REALLY sweet, like candy. This fades fairly fast but it's weird for a moment!

Dry: I really like this scent; dragon's blood suits me. It also lasts better on me than others I've liked.

The rose is sweet without being too much, and the dragon's blood gives it a piquant edge. I don't get wine explicitly from this, but there is a kind of a rich undertone to it, which probably comes from the wine.

Probably my all-time favorite rose blend. It's just exquisite.

This is lovely. It's similar to Persephone without the tart pomegranate, all sweet roses and wine, with the glowing red richness of dragon's blood to round it out.

Ok, this is weird. I have not liked a single BPAL blend with rose in it, so I had no hopes at all for this. I also tend not to like dragon's blood. However, I am pleasantly surprised. This is a musky cherry with a definite hint of real rose behind it.

It's a pleasant, dusky fragrence.

While I'd never wear this habitually, I don't dislike it, and that's a step!

As it dries, the muskiness and rose increase in strength and the cherries fade.

An hour later I am getting generic rose again.