Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

A nice, chewy red rose with wine. I can't get enough. So sanguine & luxurious. lol

Edited by Rane.

In the imp: Predominantly wine, a deep red, with rose. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's predominantly wine still, almost to the point of being a little like vinegar. As it dries, the wine dials back, and I'm left with rose over wine with a backing of dragon's blood. The resin isn't super apparent, but it is enough to be an unobtrusive grounding note for the rose.   

Except... ack! Something in this one is actually going headachey on me. Rose is a common culprit for this on me, and I guess one or the other of the notes is egging it on. 

This is a frimp I've had for a while. I have been running across it a lot lately, so I figured it was time to give it a try. Until I actually opened the imp and recognized the rose note, I kept reading the name like it was an ominous verb phrase.

This is the juiciest rose ever. The wine and dragon's blood aren't very strong, but provide a dewy, fruity haze surrounding the central rose. It's not as dark as the name suggests, but it's intense and velvety. I would have appreciated more bitterness from the wine to balance the headiness of the rose, but this is impressively powerful, and not at all soapy. Good for anyone who wants a rose that shows no mercy, or anyone who wants the phrase the days of wine and roses to run through the minds of everybody who encounters them while wearing this.

I've had a string of rose scents that just aren't doing it for me, and unfortunately it smells like Blood Rose is joining those lowly ranks. I had my hopes up because, hey, "Blood," one of my favorite things. Maybe it's BPAL's rose note, because this is new for me to unlike rose as much as I do lately. Sigh. All I get is soapiness and baby powder, with the faintest hint of wine in the background. 

Blood Rose is a sensual blend, but not the way I was hoping. I really wanted juicy wine with the other two notes, but I’m getting more of a red musk experience from the blend, with some rose and a touch powdery resin.

Not a win for me, though a good scent if you like to smell dark sensual. Reminds me of Love and Time and Sin, which I like more & decided to destash because I didn’t reach for it much. 

Blood Rose was probably the first BPAL I tried. The dragon's blood (powdery incense) gives it a dirty hippie feel to my mind. It may be dark and sensual but  this feels like a carefree summertime scent as well. Maybe that's why other reviewers have used the phrase "days of wine and roses."  The juicy rose wine below is lovely, but sadly all of that vanishes and eventually all that gets left behind is pink rose.

I could have sworn I reviewed this one! Testing a 2021 imp that is 1/4 full... I loved it then.

I still like it, but I haven't worn it in quite some time.

Wet: Rose. Then soapy rose. Then classy rose and cherry cough syrup. Finally it settles into silky wine and roses.

Dry: An soft incense note emerges. Though the notes list dragon's blood, I will respectfully ignore that as I hate dragon's blood. So I'm calling it generic Incense. It takes this from soap territory to perfume land and creates an atmospheric quality. I can picture thick rose petals next to wine glasses empty but for a sip of something berry-laced, lightly tannic, and a tad metallic. Incense smoke sliding by. Sultry. (A note for other sober people: the wine note smells more like the tasting notes for some imaginary red wine and not like actual booze). The far dry down turns very mellow and honeyed.

Unfortunately... the roses can go soapy and the wine can go grapey. And I kinda feel this scent is missing something. So, this is no longer a love for me, but I do enjoy it and I recommend any BPAL lover try it.

Edited by wordortwo
Added info