Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

Blood Rose is very similar to Blood Amber. In Blood Rose, I smell something that, to me, appears to be the amber/resin note, but it's mixed with rose. I'm not a big fan of fragrances with roses, but this oil smells okay initially to me.

The rose, after some more wear, becomes more apparent in the construction, though. I personally would prefer not to have it in the first place. The longer I wear Blood Rose, the stronger the rose fragrance gets.

Blood Rose isn't for me, in the end, but I can see why others would enjoy it. I can appreciate that it's a beautiful scent. Blood Amber, though, suits me better.

-doreen

:P

In the imp: A wet rose garden in the fall. Pretty strong.

After dry down: Roses and reminds me a bit of Hymn. Very beautiful and sultry. I feel like I should be seducing my man.

After 3 hours: Roses, smokey incense, and intense. It is the heavy feeling of a fall thunderstorm that has lasted all day. Comforting, yet powerful.

Lovely.

The answer to the mystery is sought in the name.

In the bottle: *whack!* ROSES with a shy friend of earth.

First on: Rose takes a back step and introduces Soured Sangria while Earth has started to leave

After a few hours: Incense, Soap, Red Wine and Rose dance the evening away on my wrist.

Not a subtle scent in the slightest. This is very much a scent for those who are enthralled with roses and hidden back corners.

Edited by Spastik_Kitty

Blood Rose

In the bottle: That cherry-ish scent I associate with Dragon's Blood.

On me/wet: First Dragon's Blood, then rose starts to make itself quite known. This is a rich, heavy rose well balanced by the hint of wine I get every so often. :D

Drydown: This one seems a little too bold for me. The longer I wear it, the more rose and wine appear. It's really, really strong. There seems to be an incensey note that doesn't appear in the description.

I love rose, but this one is so very...heavy. Like I'm being beaten to death by a florist while in a church. I'm conflicted. :P We'll see about this one...

Blood Rose

In the Vial: Very sweet in the vial.

Wet: Dragon's blood mixed with a tart rose is how I'd describe it... the wine made the rose a tiny bit tart at first.

Dry: Sweet rose, Dragon's Blood, and wine. It's very strong and vouptuous. It makes me think of a sexy lady, who's not a stick, and isn't afraid to show off her curves.

Conclusion: While this is a nice scent, I don't know if it's me. I'll keep it and try it again later on...

I would call this scent a more grown up Persephone. At first I really liked it, but I find the scent of dragon's blood to be a bit cloying with my chemistry. I eventually swapped it.

In the vial it's very sweet-smelling. Smells like cherry sweet-tarts, which is probably the dragon's blood (sweet)/wine (tart) combo.

Upon application, the rose really comes out and the cherry-ness fades and the wine pretty much disappears. The combo is perfectly split between rose and dragon's blood (which is cherry/spicey on me), reading as a rather sweet, heady floral, but not totally overbearing because of the incense backdrop of the dragon's blood, which becomes more prominent in the dry-down. (Although could just be me because dragon's blood ALWAYS becomes prominent on me)

Except for the rosier initial hour or so, the hours-later dry-down smells a lot like Blood on me.

Normally I would maybe not love, but definitely like, both of these scents, but I have a friend that just BATHES in a magical oil that's really similar to these two, and it's sort of ruined me for ever using anything similar on myself. Or even smelling them too much.

Edited by wolfie13

This is very close to Persephone on me, closer than I would have liked. For some reason, this turned very sweet, wet rosey on me and it's just not working with my current chemistry. I'll probably give this another go another time when my hormones aren't as whacky, but for now it's just too too wet and rosey for me.

However, I can see what many people say about Beth's abilities with rose and other floral scents. So far, her rose scents are truely rosey and not the "fabricated" or "artificial" scents usually released by perfumers, these are the real deal and Blood Rose is no exception. It's beautiful, it's just not working for me right now.

Tried this again post-partum and I am afraid it is still too wet and sweet for me. The wine in this is more like a sweet sangria than a bordeaux. The dragon's blood does not really come out until the end, although it does add a bit of a sweet, acrid note throughout. I think I am going to just take a break from the roseys and stick with the spicey-sweet scents. Bye blood rose, I wish I could have gotten to know you better. But, it's not you, it's me...

Edited by judas_kiss

Red Wine and Roses. Can there be a better combination? Two of my favorite things in a scent. This is a full bodied wine with the scent of a rose lingering. Exquisite.

holy switcheroo batman!

in the vial was grape bubble gum making me a bit nervous,

wet all rose

dry it is a wine rose misture that is sweet and intoxicating i find this one veru alluring and almost innocent yet not completely innocent i know that doesn't make alot of sense but it feels that way. definitely a gorgeous rose blend!

Blood Rose - It was really strong in the bottle. I couldn't smell any rose. I put it on and was overwhelmed by the smell of occult shop. It even gave me a headache. Eventually the scent faded.

Bottom line: Dragon's Blood and I are not friends. I can't even pass this imp on because I spilled it all while trying to put it away.

Blood Rose:

Wet: It almost reminded me of a drink we used to have back home called Dragon's Blood, which was Blackhaus and Cranberry, sometimes with a bit of Chambord. I definitely get that from this imp.

After application: Definitely dragon's blood and bright red American Beauty roses, all around.

I expected this blend to smell very floral. I was very wrong. In the vial I can detect a faint rose smell, but I thought the oil smelled for fruity than floral, very sweet.

Wet-Blood Rose smells very sweet on my skin. Again I can't smell even the faintest hint of rose. I'm a bit disappointed, but only because of the name. The scent it's self is lovely, sweet faded into a musky smell.

Dry-There's the hint of rose. I like it very much dry. I will keep ahold of this one for sure. It's not an everyday scent, but nice for times when I want to smell a bit different.

The imp smells both fruity and incense-y. It’s familiar, but I can’t quite put my finger on it (though others have mentioned childhood candies, like grape bubble gum. It's not exactly that to me, but not far off).

While wet on my skin, it’s very juicy with a hint of dust underneath. The dragon’s blood resin is the strongest note, but it’s sweet without being sickening.

As it dries, I get a bit of the rose peeking through. They’re very soft and more powdery but this blends well with the resin. I’m reminded greatly of Persephone, only I think Blood Rose is the more wearable of the two on me, as Persephone’s florals went soapy after a while. Blood Rose’s seem to remain more true rose.

It’s not intensely strong, though I would call the fragrance itself bold (or “robust”, as the Lab deems it). I don’t get much of the wine scent from this. Just a dark rose with slightly sugared petals.

This is a very unique woman’s oil. A tad flirty while remaining mysterious, soft yet sweet and cloaked in intrigue. I’ll definitely keep this one around.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

First sniff:

I didn't expect to like this since I'm not a rose fan, but this is nice. I smell the wine most prominently right now, then the dragon's blood and finally the rose. It's a very dark red kind of scent, both in feel and in color and I actually like it. :D

Wet on skin:

Dammit. As usual my skin has decided that Blood Rose is nothing but rose. For some reason, my skin really amplifies florals, especially rose, which is unfortunate because I really don't particularly care for the smell of roses.

Dry down:

Slightly sour smelling roses, which must be the roses wreaking havoc with the red wine note. I wnated to like this in spite of my rose aversion, but nothing doing, apparently.

The bottom line:

Another good scent ruined by roses. I'm sure someone else will love this, but it's definitely not for me. :D

In the imp: a very wet, fruity smell. The rose doesn't stand out very strong to me. I can smell the lightest hint of incense.

Wet: smells the same as the imp! The rose comes out a little more on me, but everything mixes well together. There isn't one note I can smell more than others. The scent itself is still very wet.

Dry: the rose went away a bit, and I'm not sure what I'm smelling, I think the wine. It smells very full and alive.

Overall: hours later it's all but faded to this light, very nice, incensey smell that I really really love. Definitely will look for a 5ml.

In Bottle: Obvious Dragon’s blood resin. Yum.

On skin: The rose makes it very feminine. I also love the depth the wine gives it… I normally don’t like rose scents, but the dragon’s blood is the strongest note so the rose doesn’t bother me. The scent is sweet and a bit powdery. Very sexy. As far as a floral goes, I would wear this one for sure.

I haven't yet let myself wear rose scents, as they tend to make me ill, but I have liked every one of the bpal rose scents and suspect I soon may be a convert. I really like this. It does have a little rose, but not the overpowering rose my skin makes of other rose scents. It's rather confusing as it's a sweet fruity wine, with the heady scent of a crushed rose petal right under your nose. And it lingers. Nice.

Wet it's wine and roses, no dragon's blood here. :P

Stays quite true, even dry it's just wine and roses... I wish a little of dragon's blood coming out, but it didn't.

Good but not special IMO.

Wet this smells like rose and sweet cherries and is a bit similar to Persephone. It's a crisp, clear red rose. It turns very soft and powdery on me but in a dusty or woodsy way and not in a baby powder way. I think I will probably wear it most in cooler weather. I really like this one and am glad I bought a 5ml unsniffed. I'm finding that you can't really go wrong with any of Beth's rose blends. :P

Blood Rose

I got an Imp of this in an eBay Imp lot purchase. I thought this might be a really good scent on me; I love rose notes and they tend to love me back, and I’ve had good experiences with Beth’s wine notes, so far. The Dragon’s Blood might or might not be a factor, as it usually disappears within the first 10 minutes of application, but I keep thinking that I will run across a blend where one of the other notes “fixes” the Dragon’s Blood’s berry-ish, spicy sweetness.

In the bottle: Mostly Dragon’s Blood with some red rose. This isn’t unusual; usually where there is Dragon’s Blood that’s all I can smell right up to the second it evaporates on my skin. I always imagine that whoosh of blue flame that happens when one puts a match to warmed spirits, when I put Dragon’s Blood on. Big show, then gone.

Wet on skin: Ugh! Sharp, sharp sharp and almost acrid! The wine pounces and knocks the rose right out of the frame, and it’s all Dragon’s Blood and Merlot, Merlot and Dragon’s Blood. I think Merlot because of the spicy note in Dragon’s Blood – this is a very dry red wine, hardly sweetened at all by the berry note in the resin. It’s very thin on top, much richer below the sharp bite, but the bite is hard to get past. I think it would be lovely in a glass – very not sure about it on my skin.

Dry-down: Still pretty sharp. The wine isn’t taking a back seat. The occasional whiff of rose, but this is still Merlot and Dragon’s Blood. The good news? I may have found what anchor’s DB and keeps it from *poofing on me. The bad news? I don’t much care for the results.

Dry: Very. I mean, very, very dry. Almost all the sweetness of the DB disappears, but the red notes remain, mixed equally with the wine. The rose has apparently gone to Jamaica without leaving a forwarding address.

Conclusion: I don’t think I care to spend the day or evening smelling like I fell into a vat of Merlot. I’m afraid Blood Rose is for the swap pile. :P

This was a freebie from the lab, and I am ever so grateful.

First of all, I've never tried a scent with dragon's blood that I didn't like. And together, the dragon's blood combining with the rose turns fabulously sexy, and the red wine scent adds a bit of sophistication. I can definately smell all three notes, and it is just amazing.

Unfortunately, my hubby does not like the smell of red wine at all, thus cannot stand Blood Rose. (He's not a BPAL hater by the way, he's even tried a few.) So, I probably won't buy a bottle, even though I really love it, as there are too many other scents that we both agree on. Pity.

Vial ~ A sweet rose, rich and red.

Wet ~ *cough* Rose. It's dying down a bit, though. It's gone from strong to a cloying powder scent.

Drying ~ The powderiness is fading, and its being replaced with something that's cutting the rose.

Drydown ~ The Days of Wine and Roses. The oil is called Blood Rose, so I'm assuming that Sangria is being implied here?

Dry ~ The wine and the rose have merged a bit into their "sniffed from the imp" states.

Fade ~ The same, just lighter.

Final thoughts ~ Past the initial blast of Rose, this is a perfectly acceptable oil. I'd rank it right up there with a new imp of Zombi for best rose, as anything that can cut the scent of distilled rose and bring it closer it its natural state is a winner in my book.

Edited by byrdie

starts out as a very strong and juicy blend of red wine and red roses. the wine stands out more than the roses. as it dries, the grape remains strong, but the roses smell powdery now, rather than fresh and luscious. the resiny dragon’s blood is completely absent, on me.

Origins - gifted imp received in a swap.

Wet - rose, dragon's blood and red wine. Yummy!

Dry - I am beginning to think that my skin eats dragon's blood, because this is the second dragon's blood blend I have tried, and both times it disappeared almost instantly.

During dry-down, I get roses, overwhelming roses. As it dries the wine begins to come on a little stronger. By the hour mark, the rose is gone entirely, and all that is left is wine, and even the wine has become a bit grapey. Three hours in it's become grape kool-aid.

I really wanted to love this one, but I don't think it's a good mix with my chemistry.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 2.