Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

I am loving this imp and will probably get a bottle. It is the way I can wear rose. It smells far dark and heavier on me. I love it.

I knew this wasn't going to be one for me, bit I tried it anyway in the spirit of curiosity. Cherry candy with rose.

Oh wow! I had no idea (before reading the description) that this had dragon's blood in it! That may be a new favorite component :D

Not many red rose scents work on me as they can go a bit strange and sour on the drydown. But this is a very sweet slightly incensed rose. Even though this is a sweet rose there is something at the base of it that keeps it from being cloying. There is a richness that I imagine comes from the dragons blood because wine can be a bit much for me and usually amps to high heaven (except when its kept in check by a smooth base like this and blood kiss). Its a lovely scent that borders innocence and a sexy worldliness. Perfect and even sophisticated with a very slight edge so its great for work too.

As with most of my favorite scents the lasting power is a bit weak. Nice throw towards the beginning though! This just might make it into my top ten!

First worn on: 10/13/2009

In the imp: Cloyingly floral

At application: Strong floral, slight chemical undertone

When dry: Very sweet, chemically if I get my nose too close, but pleasant from a distance.

Rating: 2 - use up but don't replace; tradeable for something amazing.

I was frimped this by the lab. It's always funny to me how the lab sometimes frimps me things I never would have thought of for myself, but I end up liking.

In the bottle: It smells like gummy fruits to me. I'm not sure why. I love the lab's dragon's blood note and it doesn't usually smell fruity to me, really. But it definitely smells like those gummies you get in individual packages and take in your lunchbox when you're young. I imagine it's the red wine and dragon's blood doing something funky together.

Wet: More or less the same to me.

Dry: The rose comes out and it smells dark and heavily floral. A dark, damp red rose. Next to some gummies.

This did not work for me at all. I get a sharp metallic iron-like smell mixed with rotting roses. Very strong and cloying. Good thing this was a free bottle. I swapped it away to a happy home.

In the imp: It smells very similar to the bottle of Strawberry Liqueur I have in the kitchen.

Wet: Smells yum. The rose comes out delicately, but doesn't over power like some other floral blends. It's defianately a deep red rose.

Drydown: I think the dragons blood or wine stops the rose from going to talc on me. It's quite sumptuous, delicately sexy. Something kind of cherry sweet like,

I really quite like this. I honestly wasn't expecting to after the last rose blend I tried. Will keep the imp to try again and may get ottle if one pops up. :lovestruck:

Edited by Loozie

Wet: Sour, sharp red rose with a grapey edge. Bleh. There's a slight metallic tang. I'm only trying this on my skin because I'm making it a policy to review every scent that passes through my hands.

Dry: Heavy, powdery, acrid rose with a "blood" backdrop. By "blood", I mean dragon's blood (lilacy, spicy) and grape juice (I guess on somebody else, that would come off as wine). After a bit of time, it's mostly grape juice and wine with an incensey undercurrent.

Overall: I knew I wouldn't like this, since I usually dislike rose, and "blood" couldn't possibly help it out, especially if blood happens to be high fructose corn syrup and artificial grape flavored syrup. Wine is usually a dramatic failure on my skin, and this was no exception.

This is a lovely sweet rose when wet. I normally don't like rose, as it goes sour on me, but this is staying true. I'm wondering if it is the DBR, which has been growing on me lately. I'll certainly enjoy the imp, but I don't think I need a bottle.

It's a perfume I shouldn't wear to the office it's so seductive - but I do love it. Will definitely buy a bottle of this.

Fresh out of the imp it smells like sweet wine to me.

I'm not big on rose perfumes, but this one smells just right, not too much of rose and I can definitely smell the dragons blood. After a few hours of wearing the sweetness comes out beautifully.

Edited by Sinmara

This was a frimp in my last order.

Wet and on, this starts off smelling like fruit punch spiked with port wine. I think that has to be the dragon's blood and wine combining, as dragon's blood tends to go very cherry-fruit on me.

After the initial dry-down, the spiked fruit punch fades back, and the rose makes its way forward. It's very definitely a juicy red rose, and the wine and dragon's blood just add a fruity undertone.

After a few hours, it fades down to almost nothing, and what I'm getting is a powdery sweetness that might be Blood Rose in its final incarnation, or might just be the tail end of the Lyonnesse that I was wearing before.

This is a bit stronger of a rose blend than the other two blends I have (Rose Cross and Harlot), but I'm not as crazy about the dragon's blood as I was about the frankincense or the cinnamon, so I don't think this will end up in heavy rotation.

Fresh from the lab. As I put it on first things first is the wine note. It stays true on my skin, and the familar edge of the dragon's blood is creeping up trying to temper the rose. But the Rose is trying, and it's growing soapy. Here's seeing what it may be as it dries. So far, rose soapiness is turning out on my skin heh. It fades and the soapiness is still there with the softness of the cherry from the Dragon's blood resin. I'm glad I got to try it, but roses are hit and miss with their soapiness.

This was a recent frimp from the lab. I tend not to like rose OR dragon's blood, so I never would have picked it out on my own. Yet...I actually really like this! I think the red wine might be helping it along for me (red wine also pops up in two of my other favorites, Blood Kiss and Nosferatu). I wore it while doing some editing work at home on a snowy Saturday, and it helped me feel peaceful and calm and ever-so-slightly sexy (even in my jeans and flannel shirt). Seriously, this is worth a try if you don't otherwise tend to gravitate toward scents prominently featuring rose.

I don’t usually have good luck with rose scents but, given my recent success with Hope, I figured I would branch out.

In the imp: Sweet. Very, very sweet with just a faint hint of rose in there somewhere. Dragon’s Blood? Where are you?

Wet: Still horribly sweet, but I’m detecting a tiny bit more of the rose scent. I’m not thinking this is going to be good.

Dry: If there is one thing I can’t stand it is artificial grape. This is dripping with it! It’s as if someone melted a bag of grape Jolly Ranchers and poured the sinister goo all over some hapless roses. Blech! I washed it off but I can still detect the grape gag.

Sorry Blood Rose, off to the swap pile you go.

In the vial – Wood, with rose. It’s a sharp, tangy scent with resin undertones from the dragon’s blood (presumably).

On the skin – Sweet and deep, the dragon’s blood and rose balance each other.

Dry – The wine jumps to the forefront, and ends up gaining a lot of throw on me, while the dragon’s blood stays close, so it smells almost sickly sweet at a distance. Kind of grape-y. :(

In The Bottle

Dragon's blood and wine

On Application

The rose emerges softly through the dragons blood. Quite nice

Dry Down

The rose becomes a little strong for me but it is quite pretty overall

Rating (0-5)

:::BLOOD ROSE:::

So far, everything that has come from Rappaccini's Garden has been freakishly delectable!

Blood Rose is simply put together with some keenly beautiful notes, so it will, in all plausibility, be another tear-jerker!

From the Imp: The Rose and the Wine are beyond luscious here... It's like falling through a crimson cloud.

It's a happy drowning.

The Dragon's Blood helps things along by adding a depth that is Quenchanted.

Blood Rose really out does itself. It is beautiful enough to stand completely on it's own, and would make an impeccable room fragrance.

One cannot help but wonder if this might actually be sullied by the clumsy chemistries of the body...

On the Skin: For a fleeting moment, the Muscadine qualities flicker across the brain like the dangerous, luminous veins from a purply thunderhead... And then *poof* into oblivion.

What lingers, in this case, is a mightily sugared soap.

The impressions are a mix of grandmotherly Rose soap and Rose syrup.

Ultrapink.

Pop.

This is not to say it smells at all bad, it simply cannot equate to the caliber of the Rose in other BPAL blends; meanwhile, the Wine and the Dragon's Blood have abandoned the scene.

All in all, this might work nicely as a room fragrance in someone's collection, it just didn't pan out well enough with this body-chemistry, specifically, to warrant special attention or as high of a recommendation as other Rose-based scents from the Lab.

A 3 or so out of 5.

I had this on my wishlist because I like rose when combined with musks or resins. In the vial it smelled like Dimetapp cough syrup. It was different on my skin--a sultry dark cherry rose. Then it started to smell too grapey and sweet. I can't do grapes so this won't work for me.

So far, nothing can beat Spellbound as my #1 rose scent.

Sniffed: Bright, sweet and juicy, slightly tart.

On skin: Dragon's blood dominates, juicy, red and very sweet, with the wine providing a thin, dry depth. But I can't smell any rose! Blood Rose is quite simple: bright and intense but not high-pitched, and the sweetness isn't cloying although it borders upon artificial. Thankfully the wine becomes more prominent over time, tempering the sweetness significantly; the scent ends up much gentler and less artificial. It's quite similar to Dragon's Reverie (both are dragon's blood with flowers), with Blood Rose being darker and thinner.

Verdict: I like dragon's blood, but I also like it with other notes. I was looking forward to smelling its interaction with rose, so I'm a little disappointed that I don't get any rose at all! Maybe I just can't tell what it's doing here. In any case, Blood Rose, while pretty, is a bit too simple and one-dimensional for me.

I have come to understand that different days, different moods, call for different scents. This is what BPAL does so brilliantly, catering to every possible, imaginable, whimsy or mood.

Blood Rose certainly fits my mood today. I only have an imp, and I am so enamoured that I realise that I MUST BUY A BOTTLE, because every single time I try Blood Rose, it seems to fit my mood (I always want to try different ones, but I always come back to Blood Rose). The funny thing is, on the surface it seems to sweet for me, too pink and candy like. And yet I cannot help but love it. Love, love, love it!!!

My friends, if you haven't yet tried Blood Rose, do so NOW! I would put it on the list of 100 things to smell before you die. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Blood Rose

On: Wow. Sweet dragon's blood, heady read wine, and gorgeous red rose. So gorgeous.

Half an hour in: So amazing. Sweet, red roses. I love scents like this.

1.5 hours in: This reminds me of a more mature version of Persephone.

3 hours in: Sweet red wine and red rose. I love this.

4 hours in: Darker with more wine and rose, but still sweet, too.

Overall: Definitely something I'll be needing a bottle of. I adore this red rose note.

hmm i know i would love this and yes i did! its AMAZING!:wub2::joy: even lasts quite long!

omg i need to hoard this one! this is looove

The rose hits strong out of the bottle. As it dries, the wine comes in to balance it out, with dragon's blood adding a smoky feeling to the background. It is interesting, and I like it.... but I have a lot of wine and/or rose scents. This one doesn't stand out so far.

Edited by Altaira

After taking one whiff of this from my first order of imps, I fell madly and passionately in love with this scent. So much so, that I ended up buying a bottle.

In bottle: Strong roses, with a splash of red wine.

Wet: The rose is strong, as it usually is on my skin, but somehow the red wine manages to keep pace with it. Dragon's blood hasen't shown up just yet.

Dry: Gorgeous is the only word to describe this on it's drydown for me. The dragon's blood adds that bit of smoke to push this from flirty, to downright seductive. And yet, despite the smoke, it still manages to keep a sweeter smell to it.

Overall: <3