Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon's blood resin.

I always mentally call this one "Days of Wine and Roses" because that's just what it smells like. Juicy, fruity, sweet, and the rose note in this is perfect. It's feminine and voluptuous. If I had one quibble it would be that it sometimes doesn't have the greatest staying power, but it's a very minor quibble indeed.
This was one of my first bottle purchases and I know it's going to get a lot more wear now that warm weather is here!

I think of this one as the rose scent for people who don't like roses because they're not dark enough. This one is a dark rose. Just enough rose to make you think, "Oh, pretty!" and just enough wine and dragon's blood to make you think, "Oh, naughty!" :P

For quite a while this was the only rose scent I would wear. Since then I've discovered some other ones that I like too, but this one is still way up there on my list of favorite rose blends. It smells so red and almost sinister that I can't resist it.

Rose doesn't work on me. Wine almost never works on me. Dragon's blood... not so much. But hey, it was free.

In the Imp: Rose, with juicy wine over it... almost like evil Sweet Tarts. Since I don't really like dragon's blood and am abivalent towards wine, I was surprised by how much I liked this one in the Imp. Blood Rose, why you gotta break my heart? I'm really quite enamoured with you, but there's no way you're going to work on my skin.

Wet: Soap. Sexy, sensual fruity rose soap, but soapity soapity soap. Le sigh. I have a sneaking suspicion that, if the rose behaved, this would be stunning, but alas.

Dry: This is fading fast, but considering I just got out of the shower that's not surprising. There's a lovely after-smell, though, a little musky, a little tart, a little fruity, a little... soapy. Don't you hate it when you have something that you just know could be a beauty, if your damn hide would cooperate? Gahd, Blood Rose, I know it's not your fault, but you're such a tease.

[edit] Hey, you know, this is so dark and sensuous, that it might actually work on the Boy. I won't swap it just yet... hope springs eternal, I suppose.

Edited by WidgetAlley

When I was going through my imps today I found that this one had cracked open and took it as a sign to go ahead and try it out despite my misgivings.

imp : Hm, very strange. There's definitely a wine scent in there but its an aged wine. I hope it will be enough to do proper battle with the dragon's blood resin because I can already smell that as well creeping out of the imp.

wet : Uh oh. *sniff* No dragons blood no! My skin is just amping this note up like crazy. Why did I have to go and try this scent knowing how much I dislike dragon's blood? :P

dry : Just really guh on me. I was hoping the wine and rose notes which usually love me would be enough to contend with the resin but in the end they weren't. This is making me queasy. :D

Mmmm, I think I've found a new favourite in The Garden. :P Blood Rose starts out lush red wine with a little red rose. It pretty much stays that way into the drydown but with a touch of dragon's blood underneath it. Just gorgeous!

In imp: Hmm, wine. I don't get the dragon's blood.

On skin: Days of wine and roses, my big white butt! What was I thinking? This is the very same rose note from Rose Cross and Lady Luck Blues, and also one of the notes in Two, Five, and Seven, that is absolutely disgusting on me. I think that after much searching, I have finally found the one blend with DB in it that I simply cannot wear. Exterminate! Exterminate!

When it comes to rose scents, I much prefer a sweeter, girly rose (something similar to the rose note in Alice, which I ADORE). Beth wasn't kidding when she said Blood Rose was a voluptuous red rose because there's something so...JUICY about this one. This is also my first time trying out dragon's blood and red wine.

In the imp: Definitely rose, but it's not an innocent one, this one is the sort of full bloom you'd see behind the ear of a fiery, earthy, and passionate Spanish dancer. I think I smell either the dragon's blood or the red wine, I can't quite tell yet. Quite definitely a "red" scent, not like the typical "white" or "pink" ones I prefer.

Wet: Again, the JUICYNESS of this blend is completely surprising to me as I'm not used to rose smelling this way. It's quite nice. I think it might be the red wine that's making this so ripe.

Dry: I think this is the dragon's blood note that's coming out now because it definitely doesn't smell like wine. It's lovely; I've never tried dragon's blood and I think resins agree with me.

This blend has quite a bit of throw! Every time I moved, a cloud of Blood Rose would come wafting off of me and I'd go, "Oh that smells beautiful! Wait, that's me." All in all, quite lovely, but a little too "grown-up" and "sensual" for me.

I was distracted by the rose and wine and forgot about the dragon's blood. It sounded so sexy on paper!

And it damn well WAS for a little while - the wine isn't overpowering, the rose isn't dominant and it has a delicious dark fruity scent that makes the whole thing so...wonderfully sordid.

And then DB strikes again.

Hi doom-powder, you :P son of a :D

At least I have some appreciation for what ought to be with the resin blends - if you're not prone to the effin' doom-powder like me, you can freely ignore everything after the praise. I wish to hell I could, too. :D

i fell for this one immediatly.

i normaly find rose scents too strong, but this one wasnt.

it started as a wonderfull rose scent with the wine adding depth, with little hints of the dragons blood.

it faded into sweeter, less winey and the dragons blood came out a little more.

the inital fade took a while, but it was a little too quick for my liking.

Blood Rose (brown oil)

Imp: A juicy, winy sweet rose

Skin: While wet, it was a strong, powdery-winey rose on my skin.

as soon as the oil set in, the powder cleared up, and its a wet-and-winey rose. The wine and rose work very well together. The sweetness isn't cloying and the rose has a depth that I would expect from a red rose.

As it dries I could occasionally smell something sharp and dry in the back, probably the dragons blood resin, that I wasn't fond of much. It pops up every now and then, but most of the time the scent stayed wet and juicy.

I thought this would become over-powering from the impression I got from the imp, but it wasn't so. The scent wafts around gently, so I catch a faint whiff now and then.

I liked this rose, it doesn't turn grannyish at all.

----added----

I can't believe how this scent has grown on me. After carrying it around, the plastic cap of my imp cracked, the oil has oxidized quickly and now I definitely smell the dragons blood resin! Its sharp, dry and hot. And, I like it. It doesn't turn into powder on me, I'm glad to know that DBR is something that works with my skin. The lab-fresh imp smelled divine, but this smells even better. Its juicy rose with a kick. A 5ml is definite in the future.

Edited by Styx

In Imp: Roses with candy. Maybe the red wine?

Wet: Roses with something both behind and on top – I picture this as a scented layer: 1) Dragon’s Blood 2) Rose 3) Red Wine

The effect is overall very pleasing and complex. This is another one that kind of flys around the room, saying, “I’m here! Smell her wrist!” Even the kids like this one.

½ hr. Dry Down: If this is what Dragon’s Blood smells like, I’m a fan! I need a bottle of this, I want to smell like it all the time! Which brings me closer to my next quest, exactly what can I put this stuff in so I can bathe and wash my hair with it? I hear The Body Shop makes a good neutrally based shower gel. If I could just jump into a big bowl of Blood Rose I would be happy! I positively cannot stop smelling my wrist.

Grape Crush soda pop with roses. Yuck. It has a lot of throw. My hubby fled the room after I put on a couple of swipes shouting incoherently ("what are you trying to do, woman, kill me?"). I tried to sit with it a bit longer than 15 minutes to see if it would get better, but it really didn't. Off it goes.

In the Imp:

Faintly rosey, can smell the wine very slightly. It's making the nice, light rose something darker and well... bloodier.

Wet:

It's all rose, but that fades very quickly. Now is a gentler rose, but robust. I can't smell the wine very much at all, but the Dragon's Blood resin is very nice and what there is of the wine makes it sweet.

Dry:

The resin dies down and a winey rose comes through. It's mostly a slightly fruity rose after twenty minutes. It's faded quite a bit, though. The throw isn't amazing, but it still makes me smile. It's darker and less ohemgee-rosey than Two, Five and Seven (which I love with a passion) but I wish the wine were more prominent.

Rating (out of five):

In the imp: strong red wine with a little bit of a sickening-sweet edge.

Wet on me: It begins to sweeten up quickly, without being gross. The rose gets stronger.

After five minutes: Hmm. Yup, it's wine and rose petals. Velvety crushed red rose petals with a tart edge.

Drydown: The rose becomes a little softer and more powdery.

I like this well enough; on me it's a soft and elegant rose blend. Sophisticated and warm.

Imp: Fruity wine and deep red roses, I think... if there were white roses in here, they'd be stained red already.

On/wet: No, no! Crushed rose petals and fruit! It's not too bad--more like the way eating fresh rose petals tastes...

Drydown: Finally, a rose which works for me, for the most part. On fresh, though it smells crushed petal, it turns to back to the lovely (if odd) fruit-rose smell that I get out of it in the imp.

This one totally faked me out! I got is as a free imp and thought it was pleasant on first try (after sniffing a bunch of others), but I put it away for another day.

I decided that today was the day to give it a shot, since I didn't have to work a full day and wouldn't mind as much, if it gave me a headache. Immediately, upon opening the imp and dabbing it on my wrist I caught a note that I hadn't noticed before and which I can only describe as excremental. I said "Oh shit (literally)! I can't go around smelling like poo and roses, all day!" But then, as quickly as it developed, the nastiness was over (anybody have any clue what that note's about?) and the most beautiful, tangy, tart dark red rose developed! Absolute joy!

It reminded me of these super-dark-red roses that my grandmother grew next to her wrought iron porch and which stained my fingers purple when I crushed them in my fingers. I ran a wrist under my mom's nose, and she said "Provacative!" Which is quite fabulous, considering that she usually hates the BPALs I run past her.

After twenty minutes or so, most of the tang is gone, leaving a dusky, warm, spicy rose. I wish more of the tang would remain, and that this would last longer in general, on me. I'm not usually a fan of sweet, and florals usually don't work for me, but this blend is deliriously gorgeous, dark and mysterious. Gotta go order me a bottle!

Bottle: Wine

Wet: I don't like Dragon's blood or rose, so why do I like this? I smell more wine than anything.

Drydown: Okay, there's a bit of rose which has put me off Blood Rose just a bit. Not really my scent, but it doesn't make me feel nauseous like most rose scents, so there's a plus! :P

3.0 outta 5

In the imp: Strong floral scent, with a hint of wine overlay.

Initial drydown: Rose, rose, rose. Voluptuous and deep and pure. A lovely rose scent.

Two hours after: Not a ton of staying power on my skin. Smells a bit soapy now, more like lightly floral, very slightly fruity soap than what it did before.

This is very odd. I know that rose doesn't work on me; it usually turns into baby powder. So if you like rose, don't take my advice.

This smells like Twizzlers, both on me and in the bottle. I'm assuming it's the wine note, because I haven't tried anything else with a wine note in it, and neither rose nor dragon's blood does exactly this on me.

in the bottle: fruity and yummy! like candied fruits and flowers.

wet on skin: the rose starts to peek out, but the sweet fruit remains (must be the dragon's blood?)

dry down: the rose comes out strong and this changes into something akin to being in the sorts of magic shops they had when i was a kid in '70's: incense, fruit smoke, and flavored rolling papers :D

in all: a sexy little number, i'll likely wear this out dancing when i want to attract some attention.

:P

This is the second-most voluptuous BPAL blend I've tried, the first being Spellbound. Blood Rose is a thick, wet, dripping red scent, decadent and powerful. This is not a scent for little girls. This is the scent of a full-blooded woman who knows her worth and demands that everyone else does, too. It's incredibly sweet, yet with a tang of sourness that makes your tongue curl. It has incredible throw on me and lasts forever. At first I didn't like this much because it seemed TOO strong for me, but we seem to be getting along fairly well these days. It's almost like candied rose.

While it's not my favorite rose blend or my favorite dragon's blood blend, it does sizzle and sway and make me feel sexy and perhaps even a bit dangerous. :D :P

I amp dragon's blood... alot.. it gives off that.. sweetness that I simply adore, though it tends to swallow most other elements in blends. Blood Rose is.. divine.. the rose is there.. but it has been almost.. candied by the dragon's blood. I don't get much wine at all from this. This is a scent you can't ignore.. you put it on.. go about your day and keep catching this lovely scent swirling around you all day. Rose and I tend to not get along but.. this blend is.. sweet and.. a little dark and.. lovely

I got this as a frimp in an order where I got tons of frimps. when I first tried it, I discarded it pretty quickly. It's entirely possible I just wasn't in the mood for this or my nose was tired.

I tried it on today on a whim and WOW! This is SEXY. It's rose, and wine, and sweet powder.

Actually, it's exactly the kind of rose blend I was looking for weeks ago when I went on my rose kick. Interesting.

The high, sweet note in this is surprising to me. I don't smell it in the vial, only on skin. It almost makes my mouth water.

YEs, this makes me feel womanly, and powerful, and hella sexy. The last thing I need is ANOTHER 5 mL...but maybe I just won't tell hubby....

Blood Rose... ah how you baffle me.

Wine scents normally make me sick. Something about smelling like a dank alleyway outside of a bar where someone's recently been sick just... doesn't appeal. (And that is what most wine scents do on me.)

Blood Rose, however, does not do that. This is a rich, voluptuous red rose, the kind that florists never have, and prized rose-gardeners always do. It reminds me, to my minds' eye, of a Lincoln rose-bud, color and texture. Add to that a soft sweetness of wine, and the faint waft of a gentle incense.. This is a singularly beautiful scent.

I've had my Blood Rose imp for quite a while, and remember it being a dark red, juicy, strong, sexy kind of scent. I tried it again today, however, and while I smelled lovely deep, grown-up rose in the imp, on me, it was quite different!

The rose completely took over in a dry, soapy way. I lost the wine entirely (and I LOVE the BPAL wine note) and the dragon's blood kept sneaking out like "boo! mwahaha" then would hide behind the soap-rose. :P

It had incredible staying power, I'll give it that. And great throw, as I kept smelling it for the next several hours. But I'm afraid I'm in a "purging" mode, and it's going into the swap pile, because I really don't want to smell like this again, even if it is some kind of funky chemistry day. :D From the other reviews, someone else will give it love, I'm sure.

ETA: Did try it again, still stinky. Shoved it under boy's nose to make sure I wasn't completely off base, he also said it was stinky. Oh well.

Edited by Pika