Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Absinthe

Fall under the spell of our Green Fairy! An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon.

absinthe has really been growing on me. i love licorice to begin with, and that's the main thing i get from this one. a real dark blackness - almost rubbery, or like fresh tar. but it's not too heavy -- a good dose of mintiness, and a bit of chocolatiness, makes it refreshing, even on a boiling hot day like today. doesn't remind me so much of the liqueur, more like a big jar of rich, bitter, black licorice in an old fashioned candy shoppe.

I finally tried it!

Awesome- I got that licorish scent alot, with a touch of pine and maybe some mintish notes too.

I was impressed with the strength. Absinthe stayed with me for most of the day. It wasn't a heavy scent, but it was pleasntly noticable. I also enjoyed the refreshing nature of it for a hot day. I'll definatly keep this one.

I only had a chance to sniff this in the bottle, so this isn't going to be a lengthy review.

First sniff: It smells exactly like my bottle of Trul 1792 Absinthe from Czech, like a very herbal and boozy licorice.

I had to cross this off of my list, because even though it would be a complete novelty to have, I would never wear it and rather it get worn by someone who would enjoy it.

Very interesting - they really did capture the scent of absinthe in this one. The dominant notes I smell in it are mint and licorice (anise, I guess), with a faint bitter undertone that would probably be the wormwood. When first applied, there's also a sweet boozy element to it that makes it smell like I really did just spill a glass of absinthe on myself. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I really want to smell like that... Also, it feels really cold and a bit irritating on my skin. Probably the peppermint oil.

On drydown, it settles down a bit and smells more like something you'd put on yourself on purpose rather than by accident. :P Still predominantly minty anise, but as part of an overall fresh herbal scent. It's not bad by any means, but I don't think it's really me either. This one will probably get swapped.

Edited by Miss Lynx

Absinthe definitely did not agree with me... though I usually am not fond of minty scents anyhow. At first I did get the licorice scent that others were getting, an odd minty licorice scent. Perhaps a bit boozy. I have no idea what absinthe smells like, so I can't say if the oil smells like the drink. In the drydown this is mostly mints and lemon drops. It's very light and completely disappears in about an hour.

I think that I'll be swapping this one...

In the bottle:

Woah anise

On me:

Not much to say about this one. Per usual, the lemon doesn't even show up on me, and this smells pretty much just like licorice and nothing else on my skin.

Final note:

Pretty eh in my book, but I never detected anything other than the anise really.

Whew! Smells exactly like Absinthe. Very minty, green, wormwood, and even a hint of anise.

It's not something I would wear, but it certainly smells exactly like the description!

As has become my habit, I ordered this for the name, expected not to like, and ended up loving it. This is one of the few scents I feel completely comfortable wearing.

I dislike licorice, but apparently I love smelling like licorice. Aside from the dominating anise, it's also minty and a bit boozy on me, both of which are always plusses in my book. Wearing it wakes me up in the morning and keeps me perky for as long as it lasts, so this really is a favourite.

4.5/5, with some extra love for being extraordinarily wearable.

Anise and a bit of the lemon and wormwood...There isnt a dominant scent, it all blends together nicely. Upon dry down though, it turned to bathroom spray...and not even the glade kind, but gas station bathroom deodorant. :P

I´m not sure about this one. It´s all anise/licorice and herbal/green to me, but every now and then the anise turns to fennel, and it gets a more medical smell. I hate fennel. It makes me physically ill. I dunno. I just dunno. :P

This one is really true to the concept!

It starts with a touch of mint, fennel and anise, maybe a bit sweet, but as it dries down it becomes just like the real thing.

It has a lot of throw and a good lasting power.

I got the same anisey-green notes in the bottle. I wasn't too sure how much I would like it on as I was getting a hint of something a little soapy in the background.

Once I put this on, it turned to pure soap. Gross, icky soap. After an hour, it just smelled like I had showered with that old, yellow Dial soap. Blech!

In the imp, and on my skin when I first put it on, it smells exactly like absinthe. The licorice scent is very strong. It's minty and cool too, smells refreshing, but the heaviness of it also reminds you that it's something that will knock you out if you aren't careful.

Less than an hour after I put it on, however, it had almost completely vanished. :P I don't hate this one and I don't love it, but it has no lasting power on me. Great throw at first, but after that it just disappears. This one will probably be going off to swaps. :\

I've never tried absinthe (the drink) so I have nothing to compare it against. :P

In the imp this smells slightly minty with a bit of anise or licorice. On my skin, it still smells minty, but the anise/licorice smell begins to amp up a bit. There is an underlying creaminess. As this dries it begins to smell a bit soapy, but it still is pleasant. Completely dry the soapiness is gone, and it is very delicate. This would be a very nice summer fragrance. After another hour, it faded almost entirely. Only if I sniff the exact spot, I can smell it. Bummer. If I can find a way to make this last longer, I just might keep it.

Absinthe

Wet and boozy with a hint of minty bubble gum. As this dries a deeper spice note comes out making this richer and more bitter. The minty bubble gum note is fading off leaving a sort of dark spicy note. Having never tried Absinthe the drink, I can't say how this corresponds to the real thing, but it isn't bad as far as a scent. After it dries a bit it turns completely to anise. A total abrupt change though it is more in line with what I think of when I think of Absinthe.

Edited by cupide430

This is exactly what I would imagine Absinthe would smell like. It's a green, astringent, alcoholy smell, with a mint undertone. Unfortunately, mint and I do not usually agree on things, so this blend is just not for me. It's a really fun idea, and probably great for someone who likes minty/sharp alcohol blends. I'll find my imp a bettter home, unless the boy wants it; he seems to like it.

Absinthe was a last minute add on of a single imp in my last order.. just because I was curious about the scent. I really didn't expect to like it.. but it has become one of my favorite catalog BPAL's to date.

In the bottle: anise & mint.. very sharp and cold.

On me: the mint hits my skin first, its cold and medicinal though appealing. I've never actually smelled real Absinthe.. but this smells so green and intoxicating. The mint fades away a bit faster than I'd like it to.. but the anise/ lemon/ green smell that remains is fabulous. I love this as a summer scent for these hot hot Georgia days.. I made both a perfume spray and a lotion out of my imp and I wear this scent layered because it doesn't have much staying power straight out of the imp. The lotion tends to capture more of the mint scent and hold it closer to my body..

Verdict: I already have 3 imps of this and will definitely be buying myself a bottle for wearing in summer. :P Absinthe is awesome.

In the imp: Lemony herbal, but not offensively herbal. In short, it does not smell like absinthe -- it smells like an idealised version of absinthe.

On, wet: Lemon and anise and a faint hint of soap.

Later: Everything else vanishes, and this is All Anise, All the Time. Not that I'm complaining. Mm. Anise. Sometimes I catch a faint whiff of lemon in there somewhere, but mostly it's an anise party.

Whoa, licorice. Which I like, but I'm sure would cause many other people to run screaming from me. Licorice is definitely one of those things that people either love or hate.

Luckily by the time I left the house the anise had faded, and other things had come through, namely the cardamom and something green, possibly the wormwood and hyssop.

In conclusion, I like it, but it doesn't have much staying power

This is pretty and surprisingly not very green-smelling. Which is good in my opinion. I do get a bit of licorice, but i think it's a deceptive smell. I don't know if this is anise I'm smelling, or if the other notes are just combining to make it seem that way. I do get a nice dousing of mint, which I'm sadly sure will fade quickly as most mints do.

I like the undertone of woodiness, it's a sweet, aged wood... this smells like sitting on a forest floor after a rain shower and maybe hugging an old tree. :P It doesn't smell debauched or decadent to me... just clean and natural. Very nice, I will be wearing this with my green man pendant.

In the bottle - MINT! That's all I can smell, really.

wet - still minty, but less loud and tempered by something else. Anise? It's herbally. I can't smell licorice at all, and I'm beginning to itch.

drydown - The mint's gone, and it's left lemon-scented cleaning agent on my arm. Also: itchy! get it off, get it off!

Not for me, obviously, which is sad. I wanted it to work.

Absinthe:

In the bottle: Ouuuu, smells kinda like candy. Minty, lemony candy, not sugary candy.

Wet: Gyeah, the mint comes right out. Ah, Now I smell the anise, but strangely, it's not in a bad way. Strange, because I don't like black licorice.

Drydown: It fades very quickly, and the only lingering bit that's left is the anise.

Conclusion: sell imp

MMM!!!

Okay, this might be a bit preemptive since I've only been wearing absinthe for a few minutes, but this is what I had hoped ultraviolet would smell like! I get the mint strong out of the gate, but then it mellows down into a lovely swirl of mint and anise. I love this!! This is the best hot weather scent I've tried (thus far, or in my life!), and I think I'm going to try to order a bottle of it and the newly sampled Eden when I place a Yule order. LOVE it. Doesn't really smell like Absinthe, but that might be for the best, since real absinthe has a harsh bite that this is lacking. Yay! A real catalog love!

:P

Wet this smells very light and has almost no scent at all. When first applied it's very faint and smells like the pith and zest of citrus- lime maybe. It starts to sweeten up a bit and smells light, clean and cool. It has almost a hint of licorice. This one fades quickly on me. This isn't really a "me" scent so I swapped it. I think it might work nicely on men as well as women and would be a good everyday type of scent.

In the bottle: Oooh! Intriguing. Smells a little bit minty, a little bit sweet, a little like new toys in a toy store. There is definitely something in here that reminds me either of toy shopping or some specific toy I had when I was a kid.

After application: Immediately turns into the smell of licorice drops.

Hours and hours afterwards: I smell like a huge licorice drop. Impossible to detect (or think) anything but “licorice drop”--- for miles. I happen to love licorice, but I really don’t want to smell like I big hunk of it.

I just wish it smelled on me like it did in the bottle, because I LOVED it in the bottle.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 2.