Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Absinthe

Fall under the spell of our Green Fairy! An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon.

I'm most probably going to attract a lot of ba! boo! hiss! for this, but absinthe and I just didn't get on at all. Not the fault of the fragrance which is skillfully put together and certainly seems to be one of the most popular.

Having grown up in an era when the supermarket shelves were flooded with lemon-scented household products, I have as a consquence of that had lemon entirely ruined for me.

Pity.

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin

This smells *exactly* like absinthe. A deep,bitter,wormwood smell with herbal undertones and a hint of lemon. Sadly,i was allergic to something in the oil (i got a nasty rash on my neck where i applied it),so i passed it on to a friend who likes the smell of absinthe as much as i do,but doesn't have bizarre allergic reactions to so many things (like i do).

Initial Impression:

Minty, but not in a toothpaste kind of way. And not exactly fresh either. Complex and woody. I could definitely imagine that absinthe would smell like this.

After Wearing It:

When this first goes on, it smells of mint in a sticky sort of way then dries in an herby/woody fragrance on that's fresh smelling, though it can easily be pictured as boozy. Definitely what I picture absinthe to smell like.

Final Thoughts:

Since I'm not big on herby/woody/fresh scents, I doubt I'll wear this much, if at all. I'd adore this on a man though.

This scent is identical to a bottle of Un Emile absinthe that I picked up while on holiday in Spain. It brought back some very happy memories. A light, green, slightly licorice scent. Excellent for daytime wear or a quiet cocktail party.

No Boo Hiss from me. :P I think Absinthe is a love-it-or-leave-it scent.

On me: All black licorice with no citrus scent to temper it. Far too powerful for the first hour.

On him: Mellow anise scent with enough lemon to give it a hint of freshness so the sweetness of the anise wasn't cloying. Very nice and lasted for several hours.

What a difference body chemistry makes!

This smelled citrusy when I first put this on but when it dried it turned very soapy. I could smell anise but the citrus seemed to disappear very quickly. When I washed it off, I the smell of hand soap lingered for ages.

What a difference body chemistry makes!

Indeed!!!

This was the FIRST BPAL scent I was determined to own. Having had experiences with Absinthe (Thanks to Ebony!) I was really curious what an Absinthe scented oil blend would be like, considering Absinthe does not smell all that appealing.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised, to say the least. For me, this is exactly what wearable Absinthe would smell like.

On my skin, it puts off a very sweet, fresh scent. It doesn't smell 'soapy' at all to me, but it does smell very clean. My chemistry really seems to bring out the hyssop and anise more than anything else. And I find the scent of the anise to be very romantic, and alluring.

When I wore this out to a little local bar, I had a lady next to me ask me what perfume I was wearing. When I told her, she said, "There's one I would have never guessed. It smells EXACTLY like my Mother's indoor herb and flower garden smelled like. It brings back some really treasured memories."

After she said that, I realized she was right. It did smell much like a little herb garden. It made me think of the movie "Practical Magic" in fact. I think it's fantastic, though I know it's defiantly not for everyone.

-Leslie

Oh...Oscar Wilde would be proud of this scent. It really encompasses what I feel the old drink would have smelled like. The green fairy definately lives in this bottle..working her magic to produce an intoxicating blend of lemony -minty smells. This s very refreshing...like an after dinner fragrance. It uplifts the spirits.

In the bottle & Wet: Wowzah! Black licorice! That's all I can smell. Nothing else.

Drying down: The licorice is still there, but there's something green and herby. It's not bad, not something I'd pluck out on my own, but the Old Man likes licorice.

It did smell exactly like my bottle of the fake Absinthe I have at home, less some of the citrus. I didn't get any citrus out of this. And it's already fading, less than 2 hours after applying.

Sparkling citrus and mint, with the faintest hint of something bitter and light anise. Stunning first on, and for the first little while.

After about 15 minutes, though, this switched completely to anise, without any other notes coming through to my nose. The depth and vibrancy Absinthe had originally seems to have completely vanished, much to my dismay.

I've never had absinthe, so I can't tell you how true this might or might not be. I will say that if your chemistry allows you to keep that first, fleeting impression, I want to sit next to you on the bus, please! :P

First, I must say that I was unable to smell the lemon in this at all- not at any point did I get any sense of citrus. Amazing how we all smell different things. Anyway, what I did get out of this was a very sweet, pungent mint scent (that's a good thing for me, btw) that lasted for hours. This fragrance didn't seem to change much on me over the course of the day, but the scent remained strong. This is exactly what I imagine absinthe to smell like. The fragrance was also very green, not necessarily in the traditional sense of smelling strongly of herbs, wooded glens, or cut grass, but in a more ethereal I have a green aura right now kind of sense.

This is a very reliable fragrance for me. I know I can always wear it, whatever my mood, and the fragrance will adapt to match. An excellent everyday fragrance.

Initial Sniff: What is Things That are Green, Alex. I can smell all of the listed ingredients, and wow! It packs a powerful green punch. I've never had absinthe, but this is what the Green Fairy in Moulin Rouge smelled like.

Wearing: This one mellows on my skin, becoming less medicinal as time passes. It is very refreshing on muggy days, and I feel as if I am bathed in bright green light (which sounds like a bad thing but it really is a good thing - I promise!)

Final Impressions: I like this! I will wear it a lot this summer, and have already made up lotion scented with Absinthe.

I can't comment on the likeness of the scent and the beverage, as absinthe is illegal in this country (yes, smoking weed/hash is (more or less) legal here. Absinthe isn't. No, it doesn't make sense to me either).

When it first goes on, it's fresh and lemony, with a hint of licorice.

When it dries down, the anise becomes more apparent, and the overall feel of the scent is fresh and bitter. It's a fast-fader, too.

In the bottle and on me, I didn't detect too much of the lemony smell. There was something I couldn't put my finger on that I smelled, until someone who sniffed the bottle mentioned it: licorice.

When I put it on my wrists, I had a strong desire to bite into my skin. It smells like candy, which I would later associate with licorice candy.

Although some people might wrinkle their nose at smelling like a candy store, I think this is a wonderful scent. It grew on me throughout the day as I would reapply (the scent hung in there until about the second hour or so), and I think I dribbled a good bit alongside the imp bottle (oops).

All in all, I wouldn't mind getting another larger bottle of this, but it's not something I absolutely must have in the next month or two. It would probably be best suited for the fall or during the winter, but it's a pretty tasty scent in a Florida July as well.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

It's that anise smell that first jumps out. As this calms down, the quieter note take over - the lemon is subdued, but still present. There is a bitterness present - no sweet sugar here, though the promise of some to come (but that's what Absinthe smells like to me anyway! :P)

There's a nutmeggy element that comes out to play later, and is comforting, relaxing yet astringent at the same time. (the hyssop?)

It's a light, bitter, refreshing scent that would be perfect for spring/early summer.

Edited by Alice Aforethought

in the vial: WOW! Holy shit... The very stuff I guzzled down a couple weeks ago... :D Only this stuff doesn't smell like licorice-y NyQuil (thank GOD!) It smells like Absinthe after you put the sugar and water in it. It's honeydew melon color only the tiniest bit brighter. This stuff smells FAR tastier than the real thing, IMO. :D

wet, on my skin: Why the fuck do I smell dandelion?? Oh, wait, that's not dandelion, it's lemon and grass. And star anise. It's fresh but mildly boozy and slightly herbal. It also reminds me of green beach glass. I'm surprised how wearable this is.

As it dries, the anise comes out more and more. Then it's just anise over lemon. Lemon flavored anise. There's something sexy about it, though, I don't quite know what. All I know is that the green fairy had hypnotized me and I am mesmerized by this scent. :P

I want to wear this every day, but alas, cannot. I must give all of my imps equal wearing time, or they get angry. The last thing I want is a bunch of angry, neglected imps... :D

I had high hopes for this one... but somehow completely missed the fact that Absinthe smells like anise :D

Fresh from the imp, there's a rich herby green lemon scent that quickly fades into solid black old-timey licorice... which I've never liked. I'm a Twizzler boy, all the way.

If it stayed the herby green lemon, I'd love it. More and more I'm realizing I love, heh, herby green lemon scents. Lemon, especially.

This is a magnificent scent... for people that like licorice :P

I've had the opportunity to try homemade absinthe *shudder*, so I had a much higher standard set for this scent than someone who hasn't.

I'll be freaking damnded.......this is absinthe. At first in the imp it's very green and bright sparkly smelling. I didn't particularly think it was an accurate scent then (although my bf did); but the second it hit my skin and the licorice popped I knew this was it. Just like absinthe it's got a strong licorice "aftertaste", fortunately without the bitterness.

*sigh* Now for the bad news...I can't wear licorice!!! I hate it with a passion, it's icky and stinky! That really sucks too...I was looking forward to this scent with something bordering on obsession, too bad I forgot about the licorice. :D

I must give my applause for the amazing lab folks who freaking nailed this one right on the head! :P

Wow.

Preconceived notions:

None really - it was a mystery, and I was intensely curious...

In the bottle:

This smells like pure intoxication. Wow.

On me:

The anise quickly comes in... I used to hate black licorice and anisy scents, but lately, my taste buds (and nose sensors) have been beginning to like it more. This is a bright green licorice, and even as it dries, it retains that electric greenness. Around me, I can smell champagne wafting - I'm not entirely sure it's the Absinthe, though I rather suspect it is (it could be the Nocturne (highly unlikely, in my opinion) or it could be a weird reaction to having opened Bon Vivant and then closed it again), as there is a bright sparkly note floating around the green licorice.

This is one I'll need to save for special occasions so I can keep applying it like mad. It does tend to fade after awhile.

Final impressions: This one is a keeper, my friends, and although I'm half afraid to, I think I'd like to try the drink one of these days... (if I can ever *find* some, considering it's illegal)

(Origin: this came in a swap from Hadaverde)

I loved the way this ended up smelling on me, but I love the smell of lemons anyway, so the citrusy tone was something I enjoyed. I love the way it is balanced by the more herby elements and doesnt turn into something obnoxiously lemon. This softened into a deliciously green scent that I will always enjoy! I have noted already though that I will have to be careful about its application. The night I tested it, the daughter complained of getting a headache from it, so using the Green Fairy has its drawbacks.

I have never tried absinthe, but if this smells like it tastes, I may have to find a way to try it!!!

holy smokes it's Absinthe!.

No I mean the actual smell popping open a bottle (I've had it sans wormwood but I am told from those that have had the real illegal thing, that it's pretty darned close and a highly highly similar smell)

I kept checking the imp to see if it was green, but nope. In the bottle, tons of licorice/anise. On me this scent blended with a little citrus and herb and was, well, like applying wet absinthe behind the ears and on the wrists. Lovely, fresh, licorice like smell with a hint of bitterness.

It's a dead on ringer and lovely, but I'm not sure if I'd wear it as a scent. I've set this aside to send to the boyfriend as he is a fan of the non-wormwood-ed drink.

I hope I fare better with the drink whenever I try it then with Absinthe the perfume.

First sniff

Minty! Very very minty and sort of bitter as well. It smells green and like something I have sniffed before but for the life of me...oh! I know! Belladonna! It smells a wee bit like a sweeter belladonna.

When wet

Wow I smell like a combination of a cough drop and stale hospital

Drydown

Okay cough drop smell is gone and its now a darkly bitter mint. After a couple of more hours it turns soapy and clean.

Aftermath

I seriously doubt I'll be buying a bottle of this as Absinthe is a bit too menthol and clean for my taste...I much prefer Belladonna. However I'm glad I got to try it and it might be a nice room scent for days when its very hot...it has a cooling sort of quality to it.

Absinthe starts off with a strong, sickly-sweet anise note that brings to mind a rather unpleasant cough drop. The anise recedes after about fifteen minutes, and the prominent note becomes prickly, warm, and green, with a deceptively sweet undertone.

As time goes on, the greenness fades almost entirely and all that remains is a sticky licorice-drop medicinal smell. I really, really wanted to like this one (hadaverde does mean "green fairy", after all) -- and I would really love it if the green phase would stick around longer than twenty minutes on me. :P

Absinthe has the bitter, medicinal bite of anise and wormwood, almost overpowering when first applied. While the scent does mellow out and sweeten after a while on the skin, it's still a wicked fragrance.

I have found all of Beth's herbal blends that I've tried to have a 'poisonous' characteristic that is very intriguing. While I don't want to smell this way as a personal scent, I find these oils to be extremely handy when doing spellwork.

On first application this really is like opening a bottle of absinthe - herbal, aniseedy, a touch of lemon. On my skin it morphs fairly quickly into licorice candy, which I also enjoy. However, about an hour in it starts to smell very soapy, and it also fades quickly from that point (almost nothing left after 3 hours). This starts out as the best absinthe scent I've smelled, and I've tried a few - if only it stayed that way!