Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Storm Moon

The Storm Moon marks the darkest portion of the year. A season of long, impenetrable nights and turbulent tempests. A raging, electric and wet scent: slashing rain notes, rolling thunder, and sharp, cold winds layered by a breath of softly wafting lunar incense, a hint of Luna's blooms, and the brittle herbs of winter.

I really like ozone/stormy scents, so I had high expectations for this one. I KNEW I was going to love it. Sometimes it is a mistake to presume too much...

In the bottle: Downy fabric softener and hair spray. Oh my. This is the strongest ozone I've ever encountered. This tells Hurricane to sit down and shut up. This is my computer printer when they set it up too close to my desk, and it pumped out ozone 8 hours a day, to make my hair stand up on end.

On my skin, wet: Ozone. Ozone with a kick, and a bit of acquatics, some herby stuff in the background, but overpowering everything is the smell of the unbridled storm. Unfortunately this scent is harkening me, not to the wild tempest, but to the laundry room. Ack.

On my skin, dry: Still waiting, and will update.

Conclusions: I honestly don't know how much I like this one, but we'll see as it continues to dry. Also, this may be (as such things go) a bad time of the month for me, so I'm not dismissing Storm Moon just yet.

Update: I waited, and indeed it turned out that Storm Moon on me was a time of the month issue. It is still, mind you, ozone strong enough to make a lightning bolt hit a stained glass window, but it's no longer fabric softener or hair spray. That makes Storm Moon infinitely more wearable for me, and makes me very happy. Edited by Shollin

Storm Moon is VERY floral and perfumey, with a strong ozone note.

I was hoping to like it for the "touch of floral", but it is way too strong on me. As it dries down, the ozone note comes out more, and it reminds me a little bit of Cathode.

It's not a scent for me, but if you are a Cathode fan and like florals, I think you will enjoy it.

I just applied this an hour or so ago. It was very strong ozone upon application. It seems to have toned down a bit and it smells deep and smoky (must be the lunar incense) to me also. I'm not getting any of the florals yet (hopefully they will emerge). Right now, it smells similar to Hurricaine on me.

I'll update this after it's on for a while (if my sinuses don't continue to clog on me).

ETA: I tested this again tonight and I'm getting a bit more used to it. It does seem to calm down after it's on for an hour or so. I'll probably wear it in a couple days so I can get the full effect. This morning when I got up, I could smell the remants of the Storm Moon and it is a smoky floral (incense/floral) and I really rather quite like this stage. Also wanted to mention that the top note smelled a bit lemony to me yesterday. I think my nose is just playing tricks on me or ozone can fake you out like that. I think my nose is slowly adjusting to this scent. I like it much more in the dry down when the florals and incense appear.

Edited by lorajc

Wet

This is so fresh with a tad bit of floral.

It's only slightly sweetish.

It's got a slight twang of minty herbiness and the watery/rainy softness of the moon, coupled with a light floral note and that nice ethereal-ness of any moon blend.

10 Minutes

This is not changing that much but the rain/thunder ozone notes are a tad stronger now.

It's got a medium amount of throw.

It reminds me of scents like Spazzepony and Ice Queen a bit. They might be in the same kind of vein as far as winterish and watery.

I just realized it's got a scent that is somewhat similar to Blue Moon (I said somewhat lol), except without that cucumber note and Blue moon is stronger as well.

20 minutes

It has faded quite a bit from when I applied it.

It gets powderier and the floral peeks out more as it dries. Quite fresh and lovely.

I like it as a primary option for a water blend over all the ones I've tried.

As a moon blend I would say it's right up there with me, maybe belonging in the top 4 Lunacy blends.

Edited by UltraViolet

When I first smelled the bottle of this I actually had to move my nose back immediately because the ozone tang was so strong. Like the above poster, I was hoping to like this for the mix of floral with ozone. Unfortunately on me, there is no hint of anything floral at all. It's very very sharp and it smells almost identical to me on my skin as it does in the bottle.

Oh boo. :P I really wanted to like this one! Oh well, to the swap pile it goes. I am sure someone will absolutely adore it :D

I was really worried about this one after reading the reviews. I needn't have been. Aquatics have always been my favorite scent family, and they usually love me right back. Storm Moon is no exception.

In the bottle and wet upon initial application, it's very strong ozone. I definitely see the fabric softener comparison, but I actually find it quite pleasant.

Drydown: simply the most magnificent salty ocean-water scent that I have ever had the privilege to wear. This is the Atlantic Ocean in a bottle. I love it.

An hour later: we're back to the fabric softener scent. I guess those are the flowers. Smells very clean. This would be a great hot-weather scent.

Wow. Storm Moon, in the vial, is deep, tangy, screamingly aquatic ozone.

When I first put it on, it starts out with a rush of flowers and ozone -- the aquatics are non-existant on my skin -- with a touch of something grounding. Juniper, I think? It's a similar grounding note as in Blue Moon, which I'm pretty sure is juniper.

After a while, it gets very, very clean, hot, air with a touch of floral and a slight aquatic note.

It's similar to Sea of Glass, but with a stronger hit of ozone instead of a strong hit of aquatic.

It seems to fade incredibly fast on me, though beautiful it is.

Edited to add: One of the florals I smelled is tulip and another is daffodil. I matched the tulip to a sniffing of Amsterdam, and the daffodil smells like the jonquils that are just starting to bloom in the neighbor's yard.

Edited by pekeana

Wow! My nose almost burned from this one! It smells like salty, freshly laundered tangy ozone layers mixed with that chilly Moon Note I can't quite identify, and blue/black flowers.

Very aquatic on the drydown, it smells very masculine on me.

I'm loving this in the first stages and when it fades to a lighter. lingering floral, but the longest stage is pure manly ocean on me. It smells like a saltier, tangier Undertow.

May have to go in the swap pile, but I'll give it one more chance.

Storm Moon really packs a punch! :P It has the lovely base that all the Lunar scents carry, but it's much sharper than the others...and I guess that's the "ozone" in it. This one lasted all day and didn't shape-shift too much on me. I'll have to have my husband try it as I think it would work well on a guy, too.

Storm Moon

BAM! OZONE! And I say that in all of the best ways. I wondered if this was going to be similar to lightening and it is -- a bit. But it's much, much stronger ozone and the florals are different. it really does smell wet - slashing rains, flowers driven flat by the downpour, and lightening positively streaking across the sky.

It's so fresh, so sharp, and so damned clean. I LOVE it. The dry down is quite a bit softer, but the ozone is still prominent. I love this blend and am so pleased that I bought it. :P

Fresh, clean and cool, smells like just before a snow!!! I really like this one and agree that it is TOTALLY unisex. very different from the heavier scents I usually prefer, but just lovely!!

While it stays fresh and aquatic for hours, the final scent is one of very soft early spring flowers. Really neat cause first it's a storm brewing, then it's wet and cold like snow and finally it's very soft flowers and greenery peaking out of the snow. The scent is wonderful!

Edited by mmcfa2

I Love It!!!! It is so clean & fresh! I love that it shocks you in the beggining, then it calms down a bit and shows you how calm yet powerful the storm really is. It is not too floral for me, its just perfect! But then again... I love aquatic scents! :P

I was very much hoping for that perfect scent to wear on a rainy day...I'm still undecided as to whether this is it.

In the bottle it reminds me either of a men's shaving creme or aftershave...sparkling, clean, a little soapy. I think that it should have some sort of froth or lather. It makes me think of a storm is brewing over the ocean, as the waves churn froth on the shore.

When I put it on I feel like I must smell like lightning is about to strike...this is for a rainy day in early spring when things are starting to look green but there's still a touch of chill in the air. I get a slight herbal bitterness on the drydown and I fear this will fade very quickly. I absorb aquatics like mad...very few fragrances stick to me unless I get them in my clothes or hair.

I want to keep it around for the stormy spring season but I don't know if I'll use it enough to justify it. For all of the stormy associations that this has for me, it does have a more perfumey overtone than I usually like. Might keep it for awhile, might pass it on, haven't decided yet! :P

Preconceived notions:

I've been on pins and needles since the reviews started cropping up, wondering if I would like it, but I adore ozone scents, so I'm hoping this one loves me back. The only thing I'm really worried about are the florals some people have mentioned. I don't like florals. At all. :D

First sniff:

Oh my God...this is perfect! When I say I love ozone I'm not kidding. I mean love. Nothing makes me happier than to stand outside after a thunderstorm and sniff the air and Storm Moon is that scent in a bottle. I do get the fabric softener connection Macha mentioned, but that's okay, too, since I love the way fabric softener smells, too. :D

Wet on skin:

Even stronger ozone. This definitely isn't for people who don't like the smell of thunderstorms. It's strong and I do mean strong. I feel like I should have lightning crackling on my fingertips it's so strong, but that's a good thing in my book. I think the only thunderstorm scent I like more than this is Thunderbird because it's more wearable. I wouldn't be surprised if I offended a few people wearing Storm Moon since it is so strong and so potent and not everyone adores ozone the way I do.

Dry down:

Ozone with a tiny hint of incense in the background, but mainly ozone. This is very fresh smelling, like walking outside after a rainstorm and smelling that tang in the air, like the way a penny tastes when you put it in your mouth (I'm serious, that's what ozone smells like to me). This is very nice and I can see it lasting a long time for me since a little goes a very long way. :D

The bottom line:

Apparently I didn't need to worry. Storm Moon loves me and I love it back. The boy liked it when I held the bottle under his nose, too, so I'm going to try it on him next! :P

in the bottle: so THAT'S ozone, ja, i recognize it, now the name will stick for -sure-. hm, ozone lift and spearmint, and that lunar-mystery-note. i'm sceptical about this, but slide it on..

@_@

applied: one becomes sexy-clean-man. *squees* THIS is a summer cross-dressing scent, ja ja ja, and something to try out on the nearest male at the first available opportunity. as it dried it lost the spearminty common note and has held an incredibly aquatic ozone/cucumber smell for the past half hour. i don't think it has quite the lift that Wolf Moon had, but when you get close to annointed skin- oh smexy clean-boy smell!

This is intensely fabric softener/air freshener in the bottle. So much so I was going to sell it without even trying it. I know the difference between the smell before a storm and a laundry room and this one smells like the later.

But I was curious.

On my wrist, it seems like I rubbed a dryer sheet on my wrist, strong and clean clothes smelling, but not something I want as a perfume and it doesn't remind me of a storm at all. For me, a storm scent has more elements to it. Not just fresh with a touch of lemon, but a strange tarry smell that comes up from roads, a little bit of dirt and grass smell that comes right as the rain starts to sprinkle.

I do get what lorajc is saying about the smokiness of it. It smells a bit like a fire near a body of water of some kind. I can't really say ocean because it isn't that salty, maybe a fresh water lake with sweet flowers near it. I hope that smokiness builds. I like smoky scents and thought it wasn't what I was expecting, it could be a keeper if it is mult-layered resulting in a dark yet rainy scent. But it seems it doesn't what to evolve much past the laundry room intense smell I am getting. Come on, smoky! :P

BPAL's ozone oils tend to smell lemony on my skin. It isn't a smell I associate with storms, so they are hard to get used to. Maybe this will win me over, but to me, it smells a bit like Thunderbird. Thunderbird didn't win me over, so I doubt this one will. Thunderstorms are so engrained in my memory that only the real thing seems to do. It is hard to put in a bottle. Once I do find it, it will take me back to days in the country. Sigh.

I was looking so forward to buying the Moons. But I didn't enjoy Wolf Moon very much and this is ok, but just ok. Bummer. I was hoping for something darker.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Storm Moon is the perfect "get out of the perfume rut" blend. I've noticed that nearly all of the oils I order are the same jasmine floral. Until, that is, I tried Storm Moon. This is so...I don't know...."powerful" comes to mind. If I focus my thoughts I think I could shoot lightning bolts from my fingertips.

I absolutely adore this.

This is by far my favorite lunar moon so far (I started with Red Moon). Heavy on the ozone and aquatics, this has just enough floral for me to feel comfortable wearing this as a perfume. Although I don't usually slather, I did this morning and I think I am in love.

This is incredibly cool and clean. I bet it will be wonderful when it starts to get muggy in the summer. I guess I can see the similarity made between Cathode and Storm Moon, but of course completely lacking in the mint. It does have a similar "cool" feeling.

Ozone. Definitely ozone, & far sharper than I'm used to smelling it, in other scents. I like the softer ozone in Neo-Tokyo, but yet this sharp ozone in Storm Moon is great, but takes some getting used to. Ozone is actually one note that does agree with me, it's probably why Neo-Tokyo lasts so long. I put this on this afternoon, & I was still smelling hours later, it's been six hours now? I still smell it! It loves me & it doesn't want to leave me, which means that Storm Moon has tons of lasting power. I LOVE this scent, & I'm glad I picked up a bottle. It smells fresh & clean, it reminds me of the way the air smells during a storm.

A very strong and sharp ozone scent, I really like it. When I put it on, I really get the feel of standing outside in massive storm, with torrential downpour, and the wind whipping through the trees.

This is a very well-blended oil, and I'm having a hard time picking anything out except the ozone, though there are other things there. The strong and biting ozone scent predominates for me, and continues to for the duration that I'm wearing this. I do get the comparisons to fabric softener, but I think that's nice. I'm a sucker for clean laundry scents. There's definitely a clean laundry vibe here too- wet laundry.

Unfortunately this doesn't last very long on me, but it's a really nice scent.

Initial Sniff: OZONE! In the background I can smell dryer sheets.

Wearing: When wet, this smells just like it does in the bottle. As it dries, the ozone backs off, and I get a fresh, clean smell - those lunar oils are there, and some florals I can't identify. This fades away to nothing after about two hours.

Final Impressions: This one surprised me. I ordered it on a whim, not really expecting too much from it. I actually really like this, though! I anticipate wearing this a good bit this summer.

In bottle: Ozone. Man, this is very fresh and clean. It totally makes me think of laundry soap...that can't be a good thing! It's very masculine to me. It is totally the way I wanted Storm to smell.

On me: Faint, but fierce. This is how the Thunder Gods smell. Tangy and kick-ass. I really like it; it's Thunderbird without the forest notes. As it dries florals begin to blossom, but they never really compete with the strength of the storm.

ok i am not a huge ozone fan (disclaimer for review) but i had to get it because i am getting all the lunar blends for the lunacy

wet: coast deodorant soap

as it dries, it still has a fresh clean just showered smell, but the incense smell is joining in to make a very complex combo

intresting and actually not nearly as bad as some other ozones i have tried, i actually would wear this occassionally

In bottle: Very clean almost soapy scent.

On skin: Still a bit soapy, I can smell the rain, but I'm think more of a clean April showers and sun kind of mood. Not dark and stormy. The ozone is the owerpowering note. I'm thinking I would like this more on a man since it has that Irish Spring kind of feel to it.

If my hubby doesn't want it, I'll probably put it up for sale or swap.

End of day: The scent lasted, and turned a bit more inscencey on me. I do think it's pretty, just not me.

at first: wow. i can't really describe this. very foresty, but more like a forest during a downpour.

on: hmmm...this reminds me of incense that is supposed to smell like something watery.

half an hour later: this is very overwhelming. it's just...intense. flowers, incense, and something watery.

1.5 hours later: still about the same, but not anywhere near as strong. nice.

overall: i don't think i'll wear this often, but i'm glad i got to try it. it really isn't me, but is a really good end-of-winter scent.