Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

I could be way off mark, but..

Perhaps the original imp was Apple of Sodom, just very aged? Since it smelled kind of "off" maybe it had gone bad. Just a thought. :)

This is the exact thread I was looking for!

Back before I decided I was really getting into BPAL, and needed to keep track of what I was receiving & from whom I was receiving it, I received an imp that's labeled "Apple of Sodom". The liquid in the imp is a darker, almost brownish colour, and has a more woodsy-smell. The smell is a little "off" to me, so I stuck it in the "eh, not for me" stack.

A little later, I received another imp of "Apple of Sodom" which is a clearer, pale, almost yellow-green (or green-yellow) colour, and smells decisively of green apples. This means I have NO CLUE what the original imp is (or from whom I received it). Any suggestions? Thoughts?

I thought that too, were it not for the fact I don't get any apple out of it at all, and it's considerably darker in colour. I have it sitting aside, in the "maybe frimp me" pile, but just can't bring myself to send it off to anyone without knowing what it is ...

Having a major declutter of my imps after a couple of years away from BPAL, and I've come across a mystery decant. The oil is orangey-gold in colour. I'm struggling to pin down its scent - at first sniff it was very soapy, second sniff said sugariness, third sniff reminded me of something darker in The Hanging Gardens - maybe the ebony and fir? The handwriting on the imp has almost worn away, but it appears to be a three part name, and I'm almost sure the first word is "Triple". No luck on googling so far. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much!

Having a major declutter of my imps after a couple of years away from BPAL, and I've come across a mystery decant. The oil is orangey-gold in colour. I'm struggling to pin down its scent - at first sniff it was very soapy, second sniff said sugariness, third sniff reminded me of something darker in The Hanging Gardens - maybe the ebony and fir? The handwriting on the imp has almost worn away, but it appears to be a three part name, and I'm almost sure the first word is "Triple". No luck on googling so far. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much!

Benevolent Triple Conjunction? It's the only one I can think of that has 'triple' in its name.

Benevolent Triple Conjunction? It's the only one I can think of that has 'triple' in its name.

Hm - thanks for the idea, Monday, but I don't think it's that. I've looked up reviews for Benevolent Triple Conjunction and they all mention lemon, which there isn't any trace of. Maybe I'm reading the last letters of the first word wrong. Any ideas for scents beginning Tri- ?! I guess I'll probably pop it in the "frimp as a mystery" pile!

I don't think that's it, Monday, but thank you for the idea! The reviews for Benevolent Triple Conjunction all mention lemon-y freshness and my mystery decant hasn't any elements of that. Maybe I'm reading the first word wrong ... though it does look like it begins Tri-. Guess I'll stick this one in my frimp-as-a-mystery pile!

Hm - thanks for the idea, Monday, but I don't think it's that. I've looked up reviews for Benevolent Triple Conjunction and they all mention lemon, which there isn't any trace of. Maybe I'm reading the last letters of the first word wrong. Any ideas for scents beginning Tri- ?! I guess I'll probably pop it in the "frimp as a mystery" pile!

Hmm.. the only thing I can think of is Tristan - from Stardust. The notes are redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint. ... I don't think I've tried it myself, but it doesn't sound like what you've described.

There's also Trick or Treat - but that's a full-on popcorn smell so that doesn't seem to match... and also The Triumph of Death - black patchouli, red sandalwood, dark musk, peru balsam, ambrette seed, vetiver, and ambergris accord - Trinket, which is like cherry cola - and Trick #2 - pomegranate, tobacco leaf, patchouli, wild berries, pine pitch, oak-aged vanilla, and pink pepper - that's about all I can come up with. Oh - there was a proto... Hermes Tri-something-or-other.

I hope you manage to figure it out!

Ooh, thanks sunshinedaisybliss! Trick #2 is definitely a possibility judging by the description - now I'm wondering if the other illegible words on the imp are actually the decanter's details.

Ooh, thanks sunshinedaisybliss! Trick #2 is definitely a possibility judging by the description - now I'm wondering if the other illegible words on the imp are actually the decanter's details.

Do you have a photo so we can all make humorous guesses? :)

The thing that came to mind for me was Temple Viper. Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop. But Snake Oil is pretty easy to spot.

Is it possible the first word is Tanuki?

Do you have a photo so we can all make humorous guesses? :)

The thing that came to mind for me was Temple Viper. Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop. But Snake Oil is pretty easy to spot.

Is it possible the first word is Tanuki?

Hehe, I didn't think of uploading pics! It doesn't look like either Temple or Tanuki to my eye but if you differ, I'll happily defer! Have made a composite image ... hope this link works: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1378130_10100124650962494_544920537_n.jpg

The third word definitely starts with a PH, doesn't it?

And somehow, there is a Z for me in the first word. :huh?:

I can read Priala the Human Phoenix on there. :D

Yes! I wanted to add in my post that it HAS to be Phoenix somehow.

Yay for figuring it out! Now I can read that too!

The Z I saw makes also sense as an A. :P

YES! Oh you two are quite brilliant! Of course it says that, so obvious now. I had just got stuck on the first letter being a T! And how did I miss that "Ph"? Thank you so much!! :wub2:

Does anyone have a listing of what the various Thirteen labels look like? I have one I can't identify. The label is sepia tones with a winged angel facing a wheel (spinning wheel?) to the right. There's a small figure sitting on top of the wheel. Thanks for any help!

Does anyone have a listing of what the various Thirteen labels look like? I have one I can't identify. The label is sepia tones with a winged angel facing a wheel (spinning wheel?) to the right. There's a small figure sitting on top of the wheel. Thanks for any help!

That's the July 2012 version - the review topic is here, I have a bottle but can never get photos to post. I think there's a picture in the "what do bottles look like" thread, from about the same time. :D

That's the July 2012 version - the review topic is here, I have a bottle but can never get photos to post. I think there's a picture in the "what do bottles look like" thread, from about the same time. :D

Thanks so much! I skimmed a bunch of reviews and this thread, but I didn't think about the 'what do bottles look like'. :trout:

please help me out guys! i received a chaos theory decant and i've searched high and low for what the scents are. cannot find a single thing.

the label reads as follows:

BPAL Chaos Theory V:

O Series

CXXI

and on the back:

Decanted by Tramp

there is absolutely no trace of floral or gourmand, but that's all i can tell you. it smells very incense-y or woody, like a type of wood.

is there any way i can find out any information at all? the person who sent it to me got this from another swap, so it's twice used.

please help me out guys! i received a chaos theory decant and i've searched high and low for what the scents are. cannot find a single thing.

the label reads as follows:

BPAL Chaos Theory V:

O Series

CXXI

and on the back:

Decanted by Tramp

there is absolutely no trace of floral or gourmand, but that's all i can tell you. it smells very incense-y or woody, like a type of wood.

is there any way i can find out any information at all? the person who sent it to me got this from another swap, so it's twice used.

You could message Tramp here, since she is the originator. But that is the thing about Chaos Theory, other than knowing it contains "O" there is really no way of knowing what else is in it.

I searched the reviews topic to see if anyone posted a review for Chaos Theory O: CXXI. Other than that, there's not much to go on--each bottle of Chaos Theory is blended individually/without a formula, so as Andra said, there's no way of knowing exactly what's in it.

I was generously gifted a mystery bottle by The_Witching_Hour and was wondering if anyone might help me place it. It has 3 hand-written question marks on the label (with an orange highlighter-squiggled border) and that's it. She said she got it from Puddin'... I'm wondering if it's a chaos theory?

This is putting my note-identifying skills to the test, but it smells like lavender, a rich but not overwhelming floral (maybe lily or osmanthus), moss and something incense-y (opoponax?). Witching thinks it might have vetiver, but if it is here the smokiness gets eaten up on me. It's wet, dark, heady and sweet. Not triggering any headaches in me though, which most florals do. It smells foresty/almost like a sweet pine in the bottle, but becomes hazier on application.

I looked around and thought it might be Mysterious Warning, but I'm not sure. If anyone has any guesses I'd appreciate hearing them! Thanks.

*edit* This has changed a lot since I let it settle. Now I'm really thinking it's Slobbering Pine. The sweet pine scent that was very prevalent when wet sticks around in the dry stage. What I was initially reading as lavender is more like the citrus some people smell... and it's definitely heavily sappy. Weirdly the floral/incense aspect I got earlier is gone. I think I managed to figure this one out!

Edited by Balame

Okay.. maybe this seems a mite dumb, but I have a frimp from a forumite and I'm not 100% sure what it is... it's a decant, labeled as "LILY" pretty deadly bpal 2014 something like that. Just lily- what is this most likely to be? I don't know of anything that's called that? That I know of? There are a lot of compond lily names...

Okay.. maybe this seems a mite dumb, but I have a frimp from a forumite and I'm not 100% sure what it is... it's a decant, labeled as "LILY" pretty deadly bpal 2014 something like that. Just lily- what is this most likely to be? I don't know of anything that's called that? That I know of? There are a lot of compond lily names...

Probably Lily the Prostitute from the Pretty Deadly series! :) http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shop/pretty-deadly/lily-prostitute/

Probably Lily the Prostitute from the Pretty Deadly series! :) http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shop/pretty-deadly/lily-prostitute/

THANKYOU! I didn't know that's what the series was called? I'm still bewildered by the ammount of lines. This solves a couple of questions for me. I'm much oblidged!

This seems to be the most likely place to ask, I have a little pot of wax perfume I picked up on a whim years ago, it looks like this, (mine has a different design on the top, but it's made by these folks) and it has a sticker on the bottom that says it's called "Aphrodesia" which is spectacularly unhelpful :P

I really love it, but I have zero idea what scents are in it. It's made by "Song of India" and it lists the ingredients as beeswax and "natural flowers oils herbs" but they don't list which oils are in the scent. I'm dying to try and figure out what's in it so that I can maybe find similar notes in BPAL scents, but I'm new at this whole "notes" thing, and can't identify any notes myself except for that it's sweet and kind of floral? But also kind of, um, *vague handwave* like almost incensey but not? It doesn't smell like sandalwood, roses, or jasmine (I'm pretty sure?), but I don't know what it DOES smell like. It's pretty strong, a tiny bit goes a very long way, and it's easy to overdo it, so there's *something* strong in there, but it's definitely a mix of multiple things.

Anyway, I'm asking on the very small chance that someone else in the forum might have seen the same product/might have one and has a better nose than me to help identify the notes? I know it's a longshot. *throws it to the BPAL hivemind*