Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

Hi! I think this is the right place to post my frustration.

I've got a decant labeled "Danube" but it smells nothing like the description. I've also checked the reviews and read pages of thoughts over Danube, but none was similar to what I was getting. I'm thinking of a mislabeling.

Here is what I smell: It is like tobacco.. and leather or black musk I guess. I may be wrong, since I'm a newbie to identifying single notes succesfully. But I can easily say that it smells something in between Dracul and Hellfire (and a bit of Dee). And it is definitely a masculine scent. Nothing like "floral, watery or sweet" as described in Danube review thread. Can somebody help me out?

TIA!

Is the label hand written? Is it clearly "Danube" or could it be a different word (or words?) Decants of GC scents aren't all that common, it may be a similar looking name of an LE. Maybe Dancing Koi (Brown musk, leather accord, toasted sandalwood, clove, labdanum, and champaca). Can you take a pic of the label and post it?

I've got a decant labeled "Danube" but it smells nothing like the description. I've also checked the reviews and read pages of thoughts over Danube, but none was similar to what I was getting. I'm thinking of a mislabeling.

Here is what I smell: It is like tobacco.. and leather or black musk I guess. I may be wrong, since I'm a newbie to identifying single notes succesfully. But I can easily say that it smells something in between Dracul and Hellfire (and a bit of Dee). And it is definitely a masculine scent. Nothing like "floral, watery or sweet" as described in Danube review thread. Can somebody help me out?

TIA!

Honestly, it may be impossible to know for sure what you have. The problem with decants, especially as they age, is that the oil integrity may have been compromised - the person who decanted it may have mislabeled it, or they may have decanted Danube with hands covered with Dracul, or they may have reused a vial that wasn't properly cleaned, or the oil may have gotten cross contaminated by a previous owner testing it in the same place as a stronger oil.

If you know who you got it from, you could always check with them, especially if it was part of what you were swapping/purchasing as opposed to a freebie.

Thank you for replying! The thing is, I loooved that mystery oil. That's why I'm trying to find out what is it. This was a decant I got from a forum member, who got it from another member :D I will contact the original owner concerning the "Danube".

TIA!

It might actually be Danube. I just got an imp from the lab, and it smells nothing like the scent description, or what other reviewers have said. For me, it's a sort of warm, spicy, pungent smell (in a nice but very unusual way). It feels like a deep reddish brown colour. I don't know about tobacco, and have never smelled black musk, but what you wrote reminded me of how Danube smells on me. I wonder if we both just amp a certain note?

Or you both have imps/decants from the same incorrect batch. :( For instance, I have a Lab bottle that's labelled "Pais de la Canela," but what's inside is actually Paris. In that case, it's pretty obvious (and understandable) how the error happened -- in this case you could try to hunt around and see what else starts with D and might explain what you're smelling.

Alternatively... it *does* sometimes happen that the Lab has a mishap in the blending process. :(

Or you both have imps/decants from the same incorrect batch. :( For instance, I have a Lab bottle that's labelled "Pais de la Canela," but what's inside is actually Paris. In that case, it's pretty obvious (and understandable) how the error happened -- in this case you could try to hunt around and see what else starts with D and might explain what you're smelling.

Alternatively... it *does* sometimes happen that the Lab has a mishap in the blending process. :(

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that! If all else fails, I'll just order another imp to compare the two. :)

OK, this is gonna be super hard. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out here! 00000288.gif

I have a decant with an unreadable label. Not one word or letter to be figured out.

The former name must have been written on the paper with pink/purple/magenta ink and was secured with tape. Alas, the color bled out and soaked the whole paper in a pinkish hue.

The oil is yellow.

It smells very sweet, like fresh laundry. A mixture of lavender and cotton candy/sugar come to me mind.

This has a very creamy, slightly floral quality. It's strong and has a long staying power.

Most prominent seem lavender and sugar.. it reminds me of Dorian, but instead of lemon, here we have lavender (I think at least).

It's very well blended, so it's hard for me to make out individual notes. Some other ideas would be: cotton (blossom), lilac, some other faint citrus perhaps?

If - by any weird chance! - the original decanter reads this and remembers using a pink pen for a scent that is similar to my description, I can provide a picture of the label (if that were any helpful).

I am really desperate as I LOVE this scent and want more of it! wub2.gif

Honey - could it be Tony from the Irredeemable series? I just got a bottle of that recently, and it's a real 'fresh laundry' smell and I'm pretty sure there's some lilac or similar sweet floral in there.

Or since you mentioned lavender.. TKO? I'm thinking no, because TKO is a pretty simple lavender+marshmallow kinda smell but I figured it was worth a shot :)

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

00000288.gif I was just about to edit my post and say it might be TKO.

I browsed the "Perfect Lavender" thread and all the mentioning of TKO as 'lavender vanilla' had me thinking..

Yep, I guess that could definitely be it.. nothing masculine about my imp (re: aftershave in Tony).

It would be great to hear more suggestions if someone has another idea, but I guess I should track down a bottle of TKO and compare.

Thank you! wub2.gif

ETA. Weird double-posting within a post. icon_neutral.gif

Edited by Honey

Yep - if it's a vanilla marshmallow-y kind of lavender, then TKO might be it. The TKO oil has a slight yellow-ish colour :smile:

Tony wasn't aftershave-like at all on me.. just clean, soft, sweet fresh laundry smell.

I hope you do manage to find what it is! :smile:

I have come across an imp in a tin I haven't opened for quite some time now. It has lost most of its label, all except the part that it stuck on the glass. It has most of a D on it but that is all. It smells wonderful, kind of like a berryish version of Tamora, it has the same creamy goodness that I get from the amber and vanilla bean but like it has been mixed with crushed currants and raspberries or something like that. I know it is at least two years old and maybe anywhere up to 6 years old but I think about 4 years old. I can list many I know it is not (Dee, Doormouse, Dracul, Dorian etc), but am not sure what it is. I am starting to worry it has been discontinued as I have looked through the catalogue and can't find any likely candidates, but I really like it and I may well want a bottle.

Help me please!

Edited to add: It is a pale yellow colour and is a lab imp, not a decant.

Edited by faylie

I have come across an imp in a tin I haven't opened for quite some time now. It has lost most of its label, all except the part that it stuck on the glass. It has most of a D on it but that is all. It smells wonderful, kind of like a berryish version of Tamora, it has the same creamy goodness that I get from the amber and vanilla bean but like it has been mixed with crushed currants and raspberries or something like that. I know it is at least two years old and maybe anywhere up to 6 years old but I think about 4 years old. I can list many I know it is not (Dee, Doormouse, Dracul, Dorian etc), but am not sure what it is. I am starting to worry it has been discontinued as I have looked through the catalogue and can't find any likely candidates, but I really like it and I may well want a bottle.

Help me please!

First thing that came to mind was Diwali, but I dont believe that was a GC. It is a lab imp your talking about right, and not a decant?

The only impable GC, that I can think of, that starts with D and may be even barely close would be the dodo (Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood. ) I know that doesnt sound especially like it, but perhaps the RM+cassia+mango= a berry-ish smell + lemon = a crisp raspberry/currant smell? Then sugarcane= vanilla ? Hehe, long shot, but just in case XD

Could it be Drink Me? oh.. wait.. I was thinking Eat Me.. not Drink Me. LOL Never mind.

Edited by MineralGirl

Yes, it is a lab imp, not a decant. Is not sounding like either of those, I have a bottle of Diwali and definitely not that, and it's a very smooth creamy scent, no lemon at all, so not the Dodo.

Shelly - haha, yes, it does sound like Eat me could have been a candidate.

Right now I am really missing my spreadsheet that got lost when my old computer died a few years ago.

Edited by faylie

I was going to guess Dragon's Milk, but I've never seen an imp of that one that wasn't red in oil color. Maybe Dana O'Shee? If you got a cherry-ish smell from the almond and a creamy, honeyed vanilla from the honey, grains and milk.

I really hate to even suggest it, but... is it possible that it's Daya? That had a lab label on it, and the color is right. For me personally, Daya has a smooth creamy resiny feel with some plummy/fruity brightness, a light clean sandalwood note, a hint of spice, and an even fainter hint of something floral (maybe champaca). We don't have a note list for it, so people have made guesses all over the map about what the fruit and resin elements are!

And btw, if it does turn out to be Daya, you have my sincerest sympathies. :)

Hello all...so, hope this is a good place for this, but I got my bottle today from BPAL Ebay auctions and I was sent 6 great imps along with it...I was looking up the scents and descriptions and one I was scent is called Midnight. I couldn't find it here and I even looked at the BPAL website to see if I could find it in the GC list and couldn't...any ideas where this came from? I also got an imp of Karme and found that was a Will Call imp...very nice! But any info on the Midnight?

Edited by Numanoid

Hello all...so, hope this is a good place for this, but I got my bottle today from BPAL Ebay auctions and I was sent 6 great imps along with it...I was looking up the scents and descriptions and one I was sent is called Midnight. I couldn't find it here and I even looked at the BPAL website to see if I could find it in the GC list and couldn't...any ideas where this came from? I also got an imp of Karme and found that was a Will Call imp...very nice! But any info on the Midnight?

I recently got a frimp of this too, it seems it's discontinued.

http://www.bpal.org/topic/3022-midnight/

Definitely not Dana or Dragons milk, I have both of them. Its not as bold as Dragons milk and there is no dragons blood. It's not milky or grainy like Dana but it does have a bit of the same sweetness.

Pretty certain it's not Daya, as much as I would love to, I've never been to a will call and I've not been able to buy much in the last 4 years.

I had another look at what's left of the label and it's one that has the old phoenix logo on it, there is the tip of a wing left on the imp. I'm not sure when they changed the logo but it must be something that was available before that.

Hello all...so, hope this is a good place for this, but I got my bottle today from BPAL Ebay auctions and I was sent 6 great imps along with it...I was looking up the scents and descriptions and one I was sent is called Midnight. I couldn't find it here and I even looked at the BPAL website to see if I could find it in the GC list and couldn't...any ideas where this came from? I also got an imp of Karme and found that was a Will Call imp...very nice! But any info on the Midnight?

http://www.bpal.org/topic/3022-midnight/

Oh ok....thanks for the info....kinda feel special getting an imp of a discontinued scent, huh? :)

http://www.bpal.org/.../3022-midnight/

Did you order something very limited release? I've noticed they've been tossing discontinued and rares in with things like that.

Did you order something very limited release? I've noticed they've been tossing discontinued and rares in with things like that.

It was a recent Ebay auction that BPAL had...I won a bottle of Dark Choco pepper smoked caramel...so maybe that is why since it was for a older LE bottle. :)

Mine came with my Trading Post order.

Mine came with my Trading Post order.

Oops... yes, mistake..the Ebay auction bottle came from BPTP...not BPAL!! Man, I need sleep! :)