Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

I'd never heard of BPAL, until I was recently given several bottles of the oils plus 17 sample Imps. Immediate new obsession!

Question: I have a bottle called 'Samhain', but I cant find it on the website to order another. Is it not offered anymore? Is there anything similar to it?

Welcome! :wave:

You are in luck because Samhain is part of the limited edition Halloween/Autumn update that just went live the other day. Here is a link to the lab's Limited Edition Page and if you scroll down a bit, you will see Samhain 2011. I'm not sure what year your decant is from, but I find them to be fairly similar over the years. They have the same components, but there may be a bit of variation.

Thank You! I was stunned by the overall vastness of the website. Can't wait to get my first order in.

Asked on LJ quite a while back, but didn't get a helpful answer..... thought I'd try here. I received a partial decant as a frimp and the label is impossible to make out. Problem is, I absolutely love the scent. The girl I swapped with has no idea where it came from or what it could be.

At the bottom of the label, it clearly says BPTP (so I suppose that means that it might even be a bath or message oil). But.... I looked through the BPTP reviews and not one single name looks similar to this label. Perhaps the decanter was mistaken and it isn't a BPTP scent?

It appears to be 3 words. The first one starts with M or N with 3 or 4 letters following. The second word also starts with M or N with 4 letters following. The third word has 4 letters and ends in Y or G

There's also a chance that it might really be 1 or 2 words split into 3 parts or that the name was shortened or abbreviated, because it was squeezed onto a small round label

The scent itself is sweet and foody (I find this especially odd because I could swear I've tried every foody scent that BPAL or BPTP has ever created and I do not remember this one). It's kind of like a cross between Boo and Midway

A big thank you to anyone who has time to take a guess....

Is there any chance it could be Marshmallow Poof? When you said between Boo & Midway that immediately popped into my head.

I will be receiving an imp of The Second of Three Spirits via an ebay auction. Can't find it on the BPAL website, maybe because I'm a newbie, maybe because it isn't there anymore. Can someone let me know what scents are in this oil? I'm keeping a journal on my BPAL oils and am trying to figure out which notes work on me and which don't.

THANKS!

I will be receiving an imp of The Second of Three Spirits via an ebay auction. Can't find it on the BPAL website, maybe because I'm a newbie, maybe because it isn't there anymore. Can someone let me know what scents are in this oil? I'm keeping a journal on my BPAL oils and am trying to figure out which notes work on me and which don't.

THANKS!

THE SECOND OF THE THREE SPIRITS

The moment Scrooge’s hand was on the lock, a strange voice called him by his name, and bade him enter. He obeyed.

It was his own room. There was no doubt about that. But it had undergone a surprising transformation. The walls and ceiling were so hung with living green, that it looked a perfect grove; from every part of which, bright gleaming berries glistened. The crisp leaves of holly, mistletoe, and ivy reflected back the light, as if so many little mirrors had been scattered there; and such a mighty blaze went roaring up the chimney, as that dull petrification of a hearth had never known in Scrooge’s time, or Marley’s, or for many and many a winter season gone. Heaped up on the floor, to form a kind of throne, were turkeys, geese, game, poultry, brawn, great joints of meat, sucking-pigs, long wreaths of sausages, mince-pies, plum-puddings, barrels of oysters, red-hot chestnuts, cherry-cheeked apples, juicy oranges, luscious pears, immense twelfth-cakes, and seething bowls of punch, that made the chamber dim with their delicious steam. In easy state upon this couch, there sat a jolly Giant, glorious to see; who bore a glowing torch, in shape not unlike Plenty’s horn, and held it up, high up, to shed its light on Scrooge, as he came peeping round the door.

“Come in!” exclaimed the Ghost. “Come in! and know me better, man!”

Scrooge entered timidly, and hung his head before this Spirit. He was not the dogged Scrooge he had been; and though the Spirit’s eyes were clear and kind, he did not like to meet them.

“I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,” said the Spirit. “Look upon me!”

Scrooge reverently did so. It was clothed in one simple green robe, or mantle, bordered with white fur. This garment hung so loosely on the figure, that its capacious breast was bare, as if disdaining to be warded or concealed by any artifice. Its feet, observable beneath the ample folds of the garment, were also bare; and on its head it wore no other covering than a holly wreath, set here and there with shining icicles. Its dark brown curls were long and free; free as its genial face, its sparkling eye, its open hand, its cheery voice, its unconstrained demeanour, and its joyful air. Girded round its middle was an antique scabbard; but no sword was in it, and the ancient sheath was eaten up with rust.

Pine boughs, plum pudding, spiced pears, sugared chestnuts, punch floated with oranges, boughs of holly, and myrica berries.

Here is the url: http://www.bpal.org/topic/71159-the-second-of-the-three-spirits/

:D

ok, i need some help here. i did some swaps awhile ago (and deleted my PMs), but could only start testing the scents now because i had a cold for 2 weeks. anyway, there is one labeled "B.R." i may have even labeled this when another label fell off? i have no idea, but if so, i should've made a note somewhere.

anyway, it is a masculine scent, with woods (i think? may be vetiver or sandalwood) and something else really familiar that i just cannot place. there's no search function to search by what letter a scent begins with, right? i thought it might be a TAL, but the only TAL w/ corresponding letters is black rage, and i didn't swap for that, and it doesn't smell like black rage is supposed to anyway.

so this is probably a long shot, but does this sound familiar, off the top of anyone's head?

ETA: after going through the site, the only GC i found with BR initials is black rose, and it's definitely not that. maybe it's an LE.

Edited by theseagrows

Thank you so much for the information! I'm still attempting to navigate my way around the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab website. There are "hidden" areas that if you don't know where to click, you won't find it. It is lots of fun, and a bit frustrating at times. I see names of oils in the Forum and I think "I never saw THAT one!" Maybe in one of the "dark" places. Maybe I still haven't found all the nooks and crannies! THANKS again for the description!

About 4 years ago I was gifted a set of imps and one of them came with a hand written label that said, Song of, and then a word that begins with S and ends in e. I've never been able to figure out what it was. Any ideas?

About 4 years ago I was gifted a set of imps and one of them came with a hand written label that said, Song of, and then a word that begins with S and ends in e. I've never been able to figure out what it was. Any ideas?

Song of Selune? It's a TAL.

Song of Selune? It's a TAL.

That is probably it! I never even thought to look there. Thank you!

ok, i need some help here. i did some swaps awhile ago (and deleted my PMs), but could only start testing the scents now because i had a cold for 2 weeks. anyway, there is one labeled "B.R." <snipped>

Is there any chance that it's actually "B.B." rather than "B.R."? I was just thinking maybe it's Brom Bones, because the only other 'B.R.' blend I know of is Blood Rose, since you've already said that Black Rose isn't right.

But.. this might help - on Scentbase, you can search by letter! BPALs can be searched here, BPTP blends are here, and TALs are here. It's possible that not every blend ever made is in their database, but I've found it to be pretty comprehensive so maybe that will be helpful for you :smile:

ok, i need some help here. i did some swaps awhile ago (and deleted my PMs), but could only start testing the scents now because i had a cold for 2 weeks. anyway, there is one labeled "B.R." <snipped>

Is there any chance that it's actually "B.B." rather than "B.R."? I was just thinking maybe it's Brom Bones, because the only other 'B.R.' blend I know of is Blood Rose, since you've already said that Black Rose isn't right.

But.. this might help - on Scentbase, you can search by letter! BPALs can be searched here, BPTP blends are here, and TALs are here. It's possible that not every blend ever made is in their database, but I've found it to be pretty comprehensive so maybe that will be helpful for you :smile:

thank you SO much, i hadn't even thought of scent base. i looked through all the B's and found nothing, then decided to look through some swap emails and i FOUND IT, whew. it was blasphemare reliquary!! and the description sounds nothing like the way i described it ;) anyway, thank you, and if this happens to me again i will definitely remember to check scent base!

thank you SO much, i hadn't even thought of scent base. i looked through all the B's and found nothing, then decided to look through some swap emails and i FOUND IT, whew. it was blasphemare reliquary!! and the description sounds nothing like the way i described it ;) anyway, thank you, and if this happens to me again i will definitely remember to check scent base!

Oh you're welcome! And I'm glad you solved the mystery :)

Scentbase is great, it has a lot of neat little features that make finding things nice and easy :smile:

I have a BPAL that I've had difficulty trying to identify for quite a while. You see, a while back a forum seller here gifted me with this BPAL! I asked her about it, and got no response. Odd. However, I, for the life of me, cannot find this scent anywhere. I think it's written as "Faer Bai Anger," but not even a Google result yields me anything. In case I'm wrong, I've tried to copy down almost exactly how this person wrote the name on the label (since my phone is absolute crap at close-ups):

n35bg8.png

It also has "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab" handwritten on the opposite side.

I'm terrible at identifying scents, but straight from the imp it smells very sweet. Very faintly floral sweet wet on my skin.

Thanks to anyone who can help me (or notices this comment, sob.)

Edited by parasol

So, again, sorry if this question is in the wrong spot, but I have a bottle of Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple with a label with a witch in red sitting next to a cauldron and a bottle of Sugar Skull with a label with a dark haired woman with a chain on her wrist standing in front of flames....can someone tell me what years these are? I wish the review pages would include pictures! :) thanks anyone.

I'm no help with Sugar Skull, but the Candy Corn covered Apple was 2010.

Edited by Gwydion

So, again, sorry if this question is in the wrong spot, but I have a bottle of Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple with a label with a witch in red sitting next to a cauldron and a bottle of Sugar Skull with a label with a dark haired woman with a chain on her wrist standing in front of flames....can someone tell me what years these are? I wish the review pages would include pictures! :) thanks anyone.

OK.. so your Sugar Skull isn't 2008, or 2010 - those looked like this ('08 on the left - photos from TwilightEyes' flickr page):

2834647472_7ca060c43e_m.jpg 4957950975_2faaa9fe12_m.jpg

So yours must be from 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007. I had some old SS bottles, '05 and '06 I think they were, and if I remember correctly both were cobalt bottles, however I swapped them away ages ago and I can't remember now what the labels looked like but your description does sound familiar. Is the bottle blue or brown?

ETA: I searched the Sugar Skull review thread, and found this description in a review for the 2005 bottle: "a lady, arm aloft ~ standing amongst flames... with bars in the background " - is that your label? If so, you've got the 2005 one! :)

Edited again to add this, because it might be helpful for future queries - I found that post by opening up the review thread for Sugar Skull then typing 'label' in the search box (search within topic).. the search results then brought up any review in the whole thread that contained the word 'label' :smile:

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I *think* it's 2005-- those were the years of vintage Halloween labels. Sugar Skull 2004 has text only, no picture.

For physical appearance, I would check the bottles and labels thread.

And I found... not a pic, but this:

Does anyone happen to have any pics of Sugar Skull 04, 05, and 06? I have a bottle of it sans year, and I'm puzzling over whether it is indeed an 05 bottle. :P

I don't havea pic handy but am pretty sure that th 05 sugar skull is the one with a pic of a brown haired girl who has her arm raised.

Tramp is right. If you'd like a visual reference, Sugar Skull 2005 features the Anima Sola on the label; 2006 has a light gray label featuring a tiny witch cartoon (all the 2006 Halloween LEs had similar labels).

Thanks! :D I wasn't sure --I've been spoiled by many of the older LEs having years printed on the label, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't be marked after the first incarnation.

Sounds like it is 2005!

ETA Exhibit B: we also have a Gallery, which includes a section for label art. It hasn't been updated since early 2011, but that might be a nice thing to have people contribute to. And I found this image! Upload date is pre-Halloween '06, so it must be '04 or '05. And since I know '04 was a text label, your bottle is... :drumroll: 2005!

I *think* it's 2005-- those were the years of vintage Halloween labels. Sugar Skull 2004 has text only, no picture.

For physical appearance, I would check the bottles and labels thread.

And I found... not a pic, but this:

Does anyone happen to have any pics of Sugar Skull 04, 05, and 06? I have a bottle of it sans year, and I'm puzzling over whether it is indeed an 05 bottle. :P

I don't havea pic handy but am pretty sure that th 05 sugar skull is the one with a pic of a brown haired girl who has her arm raised.

Tramp is right. If you'd like a visual reference, Sugar Skull 2005 features the Anima Sola on the label; 2006 has a light gray label featuring a tiny witch cartoon (all the 2006 Halloween LEs had similar labels).

Thanks! :D I wasn't sure --I've been spoiled by many of the older LEs having years printed on the label, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't be marked after the first incarnation.

Sounds like it is 2005!

ETA Exhibit B: we also have a Gallery, which includes a section for label art. It hasn't been updated since early 2011, but that might be a nice thing to have people contribute to. And I found this image! Upload date is pre-Halloween '06, so it must be '04 or '05. And since I know '04 was a text label, your bottle is... :drumroll: 2005!

I have one bottle of Sugar Skull and it's the one with the flame woman label....2005 it is! :)

OK.. so your Sugar Skull isn't 2008, or 2010 - those looked like this ('08 on the left - photos from TwilightEyes' flickr page):

2834647472_7ca060c43e_m.jpg 4957950975_2faaa9fe12_m.jpg

So yours must be from 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007. I had some old SS bottles, '05 and '06 I think they were, and if I remember correctly both were cobalt bottles, however I swapped them away ages ago and I can't remember now what the labels looked like but your description does sound familiar. Is the bottle blue or brown?

ETA: I searched the Sugar Skull review thread, and found this description in a review for the 2005 bottle: "a lady, arm aloft ~ standing amongst flames... with bars in the background " - is that your label? If so, you've got the 2005 one! :)

Edited again to add this, because it might be helpful for future queries - I found that post by opening up the review thread for Sugar Skull then typing 'label' in the search box (search within topic).. the search results then brought up any review in the whole thread that contained the word 'label' :smile:

Awesome!! Yes...that is the one...Thanks so much for your help!! :) 2005 it is! AND it is a blue bottle to answer your question.

Edited by Numanoid

Wow...thanks everyone for your input and help!!! Good to know there are great people out here in BPAL forum land to help out!! :wub2:

Hi! I think this is the right place to post my frustration.

I've got a decant labeled "Danube" but it smells nothing like the description. I've also checked the reviews and read pages of thoughts over Danube, but none was similar to what I was getting. I'm thinking of a mislabeling.

Here is what I smell: It is like tobacco.. and leather or black musk I guess. I may be wrong, since I'm a newbie to identifying single notes succesfully. But I can easily say that it smells something in between Dracul and Hellfire (and a bit of Dee). And it is definitely a masculine scent. Nothing like "floral, watery or sweet" as described in Danube review thread. Can somebody help me out?

TIA!

Edited by Naphthylamine

Hi! I think this is the right place to post my frustration.

I've got a decant labeled "Danube" but it smells nothing like the description. I've also checked the reviews and read pages of thoughts over Danube, but none was similar to what I was getting. I'm thinking of a mislabeling.

Here is what I smell: It is like tobacco.. and leather or black musk I guess. I may be wrong, since I'm a newbie to identifying single notes succesfully. But I can easily say that it smells something in between Dracul and Hellfire (and a bit of Dee). And it is definitely a masculine scent. Nothing like "floral, watery or sweet" as described in Danube review thread. Can somebody help me out?

TIA!

Honestly, it may be impossible to know for sure what you have. The problem with decants, especially as they age, is that the oil integrity may have been compromised - the person who decanted it may have mislabeled it, or they may have decanted Danube with hands covered with Dracul, or they may have reused a vial that wasn't properly cleaned, or the oil may have gotten cross contaminated by a previous owner testing it in the same place as a stronger oil.

If you know who you got it from, you could always check with them, especially if it was part of what you were swapping/purchasing as opposed to a freebie.