Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

:) YAY! You have a Chaos Theory bottle from 2008! Here's the link to the review thread:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/47311-chaos-theory-iv-edge-of-chaos/page__p__1183237__hl__%2Bedge+%2Bof+%2Bchaos__fromsearch__1#entry1183237

I hope that helps. I actually have a bottle from that Chaos Theory, unfortunately the numbers have worn off a bit over the years...it smells like nummy Chocolate and dark berries!

:) YAY! You have a Chaos Theory bottle from 2008! Here's the link to the review thread:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/47311-chaos-theory-iv-edge-of-chaos/page__p__1183237__hl__%2Bedge+%2Bof+%2Bchaos__fromsearch__1#entry1183237

I hope that helps. I actually have a bottle from that Chaos Theory, unfortunately the numbers have worn off a bit over the years...it smells like nummy Chocolate and dark berries!

Oh thank GOD someone knew! I've been scouring the web for this and couldn't find anything, and I must suck at using the search function on here, lol! Thank yoooou!

Maybe this is me being dumb, but it has XVII written on it in gold pen. Something cryptic?

Maybe this is me being dumb, but it has XVII written on it in gold pen. Something cryptic?

That's your bottle ID number. Each bottle in a Chaos Theory series is blended at random and so one-of-a-kind -- that's where the "chaos" bit comes in -- and each is numbered when it's blended. You are the proud owner of Bottle Number Seventeen.

Going through an imp box that I haven't looked at for a while, and I've got a full decant ofsomething labeled:

"WMO AJ"

And my response is wtf?? :)

A quick sniff smells lovely - woods and resin & maybe a dark musk? Definitely smells like bpal. help??

Okay I have another question: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. I had an oooold decant that said it was a prototype, and since using up that one I've acquired two more. One is pale/clear like the prototype, the other is a gold-y amber colour.

I can't tell you if them smell the same because I have a ridiculous head cold and can't smell a thing. Also, my BPAL has been closed up for 6 weeks since I found out I was pregnant due to some unfortunate scent aversion and I'm nervous that it hasn't gone away yet. So I can't tell you if these smell the same.

Which colour is right?

Okay I have another question: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. I had an oooold decant that said it was a prototype, and since using up that one I've acquired two more. One is pale/clear like the prototype, the other is a gold-y amber colour.

I can't tell you if them smell the same because I have a ridiculous head cold and can't smell a thing. Also, my BPAL has been closed up for 6 weeks since I found out I was pregnant due to some unfortunate scent aversion and I'm nervous that it hasn't gone away yet. So I can't tell you if these smell the same.

Which colour is right?

Ah, one of the most frustrating things about BPAL. It's possible they're *both* right, even if they don't smell or look the same. BPAL is almost entirely dependent on natural components, and, just like, say, a bowl of strawberries picked off the same plant, there are color and scent variations all over the place. You might find a better answer in Different smells/colors, same perfume.

^ This. I have imps of Mouse's LAST that vary from very pale gold to a medium-deep amber. Currently, I have two deep amber and one pale gold. I couldn't tell you what color the oil in my bottles is, but I just checked the imps.

I looked through the forums FAQ and did a search but I didn't see this topic anywhere.

I was frimped 2 prototype bottles. Is there a forum specifically for prototypes? I'd like to do a review of them. One I love and would like to keep the other possibly swap.

So I'm looking for a forum to discuss, swap/sell and review prototypes.

And if the answer to this is totally obvious, I'll apoligize now and smack myself on the forehead later :blush:

Thanks guys :)

I looked through the forums FAQ and did a search but I didn't see this topic anywhere.

I was frimped 2 prototype bottles. Is there a forum specifically for prototypes? I'd like to do a review of them. One I love and would like to keep the other possibly swap.

And if the answer to this is totally obvious, I'll apoligize now and smack myself on the forehead later :blush:

You can do all that here. It depends on what the prototype is, as to where it's located, but "unreleased scents" and "event exclusive oils" under the reviews section are both likely places.

And if the answer to this is totally obvious, I'll apologize now and smack myself on the forehead later :blush:

You can do all that here. It depends on what the prototype is, as to where it's located, but "unreleased scents" and "event exclusive oils" under the reviews section are both likely places.

Thank you! This forum business can be a little bit over whelming when your new.

no worries, it's not the easiest thing to find if you don't know where to look:

http://www.bpal.org/forum/142-event-exclusive-oils/

another thing to try is using the Search function, put in the name of the oil, and check the box that says Titles only. It should bring up the Review topic :)

I've never used the Titles only function and I'm kicking myself. That will definitely save me so much time. My searches always turn up too many threads to look at and I know I'm missing most of what I'm looking for. Thank you

Oh and I did find both Libertarian and Dai Yu! Nothing about their prototypes but I have more to go on now.

Thanks again :)

Also, there is a thread here that discusses prototypes and upcoming scents. :D

Neither of my bottles were talked about there. At least according to my search of the thread buuut, I love that thread! Thanks of the link. I'll be watching that one.

It's still overwhelming sometimes, even when you've been around a while :smile:

The tricky thing with prototypes is that the reviews can be in a couple of places, depending on what kind of prototype they are. For the bottles that were sold via the Trunk Show events, you'll find those reviews at the 'Event Exclusives' topic that you've already been to.. but there's also an 'Unreleased Scents' topic here - that's got things that were given out as special frimps, Will Call exclusives.. and even some prototypes as well - so those two threads are kinda muddled up a bit.. if you're looking for something, you should check both topics.

Oh, and if you have a prototype that doesn't have any reviews posted yet, you can click the 'Start a new topic' button and then post your review :thumbsup:

As for swapping your prototypes bottles - that's no problem, you just put them up in a regular swap post like you would any others.

It's still overwhelming sometimes, even when you've been around a while :smile:

The tricky thing with prototypes is that the reviews can be in a couple of places, depending on what kind of prototype they are. For the bottles that were sold via the Trunk Show events, you'll find those reviews at the 'Event Exclusives' topic that you've already been to.. but there's also an 'Unreleased Scents' topic here - that's got things that were given out as special frimps, Will Call exclusives.. and even some prototypes as well - so those two threads are kinda muddled up a bit.. if you're looking for something, you should check both topics.

Oh, and if you have a prototype that doesn't have any reviews posted yet, you can click the 'Start a new topic' button and then post your review :thumbsup:

As for swapping your prototypes bottles - that's no problem, you just put them up in a regular swap post like you would any others.

I have another couple of question if that's alright

The two prototypes I got are Libertarian and Dai Yu. They both already have review threads but not for the prototypes. Libertarian under LE and Daiyu under Carnaval Diabolique. Would I just do the review under those threads and then stipulate that the bottles I have are Prototypes?

Also, how do people know which version of a prototype they have? Neither of these bottles have a number. Although the Daiya has "Sarah" written on it

Thank you so much for your help :)

Sounds like you got some mod bottles. They're not prototypes :)

Edited by quantum spice

Actually if it's got the white prototype label, those are the bottles we send out as Will Call testers, as well as for approval (if it's a scent that needs approval) and occasionally for review purposes. We have also occasionally gifted those bottles to people.

They are labeled prototypes because there is always a chance the scent could change, but that's not something that happens often.

There have been a few scents, most notably the original versions of the RPG scents, that went out as white label prototypes and did later end up as Trunk Show scents, but that is not the norm. Most of the Trunk Show prototypes have not gotten far enough in the process to be sent out anywhere.

If you have a full white label bottle of Libertarian, those scents were imp only gifts, but we did make full 5ml bottles to use as testers, and also gifted those to a few people. That would be exactly the same scent as the Libertarian that was in the imp.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

I was gifted this bottle from a lovely generous forumite but I have no clue what it is! Help?

58025672.jpg

Edited by AEris

GOP was one of the free imps given with a purchase of Tabella or E Pluribus Unum, I believe. There were also some bottle-sized testers given out as contest prizes, so you've got one of those. Congrats, it's a great scent!

I'd never heard of BPAL, until I was recently given several bottles of the oils plus 17 sample Imps. Immediate new obsession!

Question: I have a bottle called 'Samhain', but I cant find it on the website to order another. Is it not offered anymore? Is there anything similar to it?

I'd never heard of BPAL, until I was recently given several bottles of the oils plus 17 sample Imps. Immediate new obsession!

Question: I have a bottle called 'Samhain', but I cant find it on the website to order another. Is it not offered anymore? Is there anything similar to it?

Welcome! :wave:

You are in luck because Samhain is part of the limited edition Halloween/Autumn update that just went live the other day. Here is a link to the lab's Limited Edition Page and if you scroll down a bit, you will see Samhain 2011. I'm not sure what year your decant is from, but I find them to be fairly similar over the years. They have the same components, but there may be a bit of variation.