Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

Does anyone thing Zephyr smells like Lilith Victoria?

I have an imp here and it smells almost exactly like her...in the reviews people keep mentioning that it's a citrus blends but, in other they say it's an "old lady, powdery musk".

I'm confused!

Does anyone thing Zephyr smells like Lilith Victoria?

I have an imp here and it smells almost exactly like her...in the reviews people keep mentioning that it's a citrus blends but, in other they say it's an "old lady, powdery musk".

I'm confused!

I haven't tried Lilith Victoria, but I have Zephyr, and it doesn't really come across as citrussy to me. It doesn't smell like "lemon" in the traditional sense (I was expecting furniture polish when I first tried it). I don't like care for lemon, so I was a bit afraid. What I get is more of a "bright" quality over powdery musk.

I think of it as being in the Dirty/Wensleydale/White Phoenix category.

Now, I was frimped the imp I got, so I don't know the age, and the bottle I bought from someone is a few years old, so it might have a more lemony quality when it's fresh, but neither the imp nor bottle I have smell like lemon/citrus.

One of my bottle smells nothing like the scent description. I have a bottle of Floating Brain that smells very spicy. Almost like Gingerbread. All the reviews I have read talk about strawberry cake.

I think this is the right place to put this. I searched but I couldn't find a better place.

So I just pulled out my 2 lab imps of Shub-Niggurath tonight and I noticed that one is dark red and the other is light yellowish gold in color. I originally didn't like Shub because when I tried it, it smelled like ginger and some funky dirt. I'm doing a side by side (one on each arm) test of them both right now and the red one smells more like I remember Shub smelling like (weird dirt and a little ginger). The yellow one smells much sweeter and lighter. It still has some ginger going on but not much.

Here are the imps:

0709092241a-1.jpg

(it's actually even lighter than this picture makes it look. At least on my computer. It's very light. Almost clear)

So I suppose I'm asking if one of them is mislabled (probably the yellow one...) or just different batches? They're pretty different. In looks and in smell.

Edited by unlaced

One of my bottle smells nothing like the scent description. I have a bottle of Floating Brain that smells very spicy. Almost like Gingerbread. All the reviews I have read talk about strawberry cake.

I'm resniffing this now and out of the bottle it smells very much like gingerbread. There's strawberry on here but not "cake" to my nose. it's like a strawberry gingerbread.

Does your smell anything like strawberry???

I think this is the right place to put this. I searched but I couldn't find a better place.

So I just pulled out my 2 lab imps of Shub-Niggurath tonight and I noticed that one is dark red and the other is light yellowish gold in color. I originally didn't like Shub because when I tried it, it smelled like ginger and some funky dirt. I'm doing a side by side (one on each arm) test of them both right now and the red one smells more like I remember Shub smelling like (weird dirt and a little ginger). The yellow one smells much sweeter and lighter. It still has some ginger going on but not much.

I've never seen a light yellow Shub before. The bottle I have is the original CN version and is dark reddish orange and is thick. I've come across a recent imp of Shub and thatone was dark reddish orange as well.

Not sure why yours could be yellow...have you tried e-mailing the Lab? I hope they haven't reformulated!

I haven't emailed the lab. I just noticed and I thought I'd ask you all in case it's just a batch variation or something... but the difference is so great, I don't know. I kind of like the light one better, but... *shrug*

I don't know what it could it be it it isn't Shub...

Okay, this is my last-ditch effort, and I'm desperately hoping that you lovely forumites, in all your infinite wisdom, will be able to help me.

Awhile back I purchased a half-imp of what was supposed to be BPAL's Venom. It wasn't. I'm pretty sure the seller didn't realize that at the time, though. So here's my dilemma:

Whatever it actually is, it's gorgeous. So I'm trying to track it down, and I'm almost hoping it's one of NA's Venoms, instead of some random BPAL that I will never ever find on my own without plowing through the entirety of the GC. It's a golden oil, about the same viscosity as an average BPAL blend, and best I can tell it's plum, amber and some kind of sugared white floral (stargazer, maybe?). Kind of like Queen of Spades and Berenice had a love child.

I need more of it in my life. Please help! Anyone? Bueller?

I don't know, but it sounds maybe almost kinda like it could be Brides of Dracula? "Gleaming skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices."

I don't know, but it sounds maybe almost kinda like it could be Brides of Dracula? "Gleaming skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices."

Ooh, I'll hunt down a decant. Thanks!

It could also be Midwinter's Eve (sugar plum and icy white florals) or Prospero (wine, plum, nag champa).

How about:

Bathsheba: Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

Or Blood Countess: Corrupted black plum, smoky opium and crumbling dead roses covered by a deceptive veil of Hungarian lilac, white gardenia and wild berry.

It could also be Midwinter's Eve (sugar plum and icy white florals) or Prospero (wine, plum, nag champa).

Midwinter's Eve is actually a great guess based on the notes I gave you. It's just not what I remember ME being like - not icy at all. I'll give Prospero a try, thanks. :)

How about:

Bathsheba: Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

Or Blood Countess: Corrupted black plum, smoky opium and crumbling dead roses covered by a deceptive veil of Hungarian lilac, white gardenia and wild berry.

I know it's not Blood Countess, but Bathsheba sounds like a maybe - there could definitely be a musk in there. Hmmm. I'll track some down! Thanks a bunch.

I randomly got a frimp of Jade gardens. I tried searching it but I've found nothing other than and dead sales thread where is said "bpal?"

Is it bpal? I just want to know what's in it ><

I haven't emailed the lab. I just noticed and I thought I'd ask you all in case it's just a batch variation or something... but the difference is so great, I don't know. I kind of like the light one better, but... *shrug*

I don't know what it could it be it it isn't Shub...

The imp I got of Shub in my recent lab order (today) is also a light golden color, so I got out my bottle, which I have had for over a year and a half now, and decanted a little of it, and it is the same color and smell as the imp I just received.

Maybe your original imp was from the first formulation?

I randomly got a frimp of Jade gardens. I tried searching it but I've found nothing other than and dead sales thread where is said "bpal?"

Is it bpal? I just want to know what's in it ><

I did a google search to see if I could help and came up with this link here..?

BPAL has never released a scent called Jade Gardens, so the link ephemera found may be your best bet.

( sorry, wrong thread! )

Edited by hkhm

If I'm in the wrong place I apologize in advance.

So I finally got around to sniffing and testing my Pumpkin IV 2009.

It seems to smell more like what V should. Lots of hazelnut and chocolate no clove or tobacco.

Has anyone ever gotten a bottle with the wrong scent?

Not sure what to do, any ideas? Anyone else get a bottle of IV that's odd?

Has anybody seen Hellhound w/ a lot of beads of oil? A lot of particles as well? I tried my best to get photos of it, but I'm afraid it might not be as evident in the photo as it is in person. I'll post one of the pics as a link as I think it's a bit big.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/dev...Hellhound1a.jpg

Hellhound1b.jpg

Anyone else have a bottle of Hellhound that looks like this? :blush:

(Note: I did try to roll it gently between my palms while horizontal, but it didn't seem to integrate at all.)

Yes, my bottle was like that too before I swapped it. Many people have reported cloudy, oily and sedimenty Hellhound bottles. Found the thread here: http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=21...5&start=125

I think this would be the right thread for this question...I got a lab order in yesterday (yay!), and received my long-awaited bottle of The Girl. I was so excited! When I put it on to test, I immediately recognized the scent. I thought that was weird, since I bought it untested. I tried it again and realized it smells exactly like Under the Harvest Moon. I was concerned that it was just my nose being wacky, so I put UTHM on one wrist and my The Girl on the other, and I cannot smell a difference. I did it again this morning. Is it possible that my bottle has been mislabeled? I really like the smell, but I was really hoping to try The Girl. I read through all of the reviews, and I didn't see anyone review The Girl in a way that sounds like what I received. Any opinions or advice?

I think this would be the right thread for this question...I got a lab order in yesterday (yay!), and received my long-awaited bottle of The Girl. I was so excited! When I put it on to test, I immediately recognized the scent. I thought that was weird, since I bought it untested. I tried it again and realized it smells exactly like Under the Harvest Moon. I was concerned that it was just my nose being wacky, so I put UTHM on one wrist and my The Girl on the other, and I cannot smell a difference. I did it again this morning. Is it possible that my bottle has been mislabeled? I really like the smell, but I was really hoping to try The Girl. I read through all of the reviews, and I didn't see anyone review The Girl in a way that sounds like what I received. Any opinions or advice?

Do you have a helpful friend who can sniff test the bottles for you? I would suggest having them blind sniff and try not to lead them in the direction of "does this smell different to you?"

Hmmm, I have a bottle of Coral Snake that I've never used yet, I think I'll compare tonight. Thanks for the input everyone! If anyone else has any ideas for what it could be, let me know. *goes off to cry in the corner*

Did you ever figure out what it was? How spicy did it smell? My guess would have been Saw Scaled Viper. (cinnamon, cassia, and ginger.) I'll have to go home and see what I have that is red.

Do you have a helpful friend who can sniff test the bottles for you? I would suggest having them blind sniff and try not to lead them in the direction of "does this smell different to you?"

Yeah, I can definitely do that. I am really 99% convinced that the scent in the bottle is not The Girl based on reviews that I've read, but I don't want to e-mail the lab before I'm absolutely sure. I also thought it was kinda weird that my bottle was not quite full, whereas the bottle of Cake Smash that I got with it was full to the shoulder like they normally are. The bottle of TG that I got was right around the top of the label.

On the positive side, I do like the scent (since UTHM is a favorite), so at least I have more of a scent that I like...

ETA: Upon about the thousandth sniff, I can tell a little bit of a difference. Barely, but my bottle of The Girl is a little more vanilla-y, and the UTHM has a little more of a floral coming through. They're still super close, though.

Edited by VioletFemme

Yeah, I can definitely do that. I am really 99% convinced that the scent in the bottle is not The Girl based on reviews that I've read, but I don't want to e-mail the lab before I'm absolutely sure. I also thought it was kinda weird that my bottle was not quite full, whereas the bottle of Cake Smash that I got with it was full to the shoulder like they normally are. The bottle of TG that I got was right around the top of the label.

On the positive side, I do like the scent (since UTHM is a favorite), so at least I have more of a scent that I like...

ETA: Upon about the thousandth sniff, I can tell a little bit of a difference. Barely, but my bottle of The Girl is a little more vanilla-y, and the UTHM has a little more of a floral coming through. They're still super close, though.

Actually, Under the Harvest Moon and The Girl smells similar to me too. My initial impression of The Girl was UTHM with something more cloying. At first I was a bit confused because they don't even share remotely similar notes. To me, UTHM smells smooth (I don't know how else to describe it) whereas The Girl is a muskier version of UTHM. The similarities are definitely there.