Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Red Devil

A sinfully playful lust blend. Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty.

In the bottle: A very strong cinnamon and almond scent.

Wet: The smell of orange pierces through the almond scent.

Drydown: The scent becomes powdery and is very subtle. The smell of almond stays, slightly spicy and rather sweet, with hints of orange coming up now and then. The scent fades very fast, hardly after an hour or two, you can only smell it subtly.

Overall: It's nothing spectacular, I found it smelled very much like Johnson's Baby Soap. It's soft and rather comforting, but it doesn't evoke much else to me. It certainly didn't have any sexual connotation for me, the Voodoo thing doesn't seem to be working for me. :P

Kind of spicy and citrusy. It started to smell a little sweaty after a bit. Its a little spicy and sweet. I can't really describe it.

I fell asleep with it on and had really really strange dreams

This is a strong spicy scent. It's absolutely lovely! I don't know what the notes are, but it's hot and firey and spicy!

Unfortunately it doesn't last long on my skin. It fades like boom. 15 minutes in and it's dried down to a powdered version of it. Most of the strong spice is gone and I'm left with a little bit of floral.

It's also not liking my skin in other ways. I think I may be allergic to one of the notes! No idea which one! :P

I'm not feeling particularly kinky with this. It's got some nice peachy florals in it though. Let's see how it does in an hour or so. The florals are still there with a little bit of a slap underneath them. Just enough spice to make things interesting without sending my body into fits of OMG CINNAMON! or somesuch. I like this.

SHARP orange, sharp jasmine. yeck, even though it is sweet, it has this undertone that is just bitter. It also turned to complete soap on my skin after a few minutes. pure floral orange soap. :P

I smelled no cinnamon :D

Edited by ancilla

I tried this one yesterday, and it smells almost EXACTLY like Eos on me. Wierd. It started out with this spicy smoky groove, but that faded really rapidly and left the sweet floral scent of Eos, which I like, but... yeah. It doesn't inspire kinkiness in me, sadly.

EDIT: I just layered this over a bit of malediction (which I didn't like), and I'm sort of liking what's emerging from the two. Interesting... Except malediction still has that sour note lurking. Gah.

Edited by cordia

In Bottle: Sweet orange

On Skin: I smell orange right away… and then Dragon’s Blood resin? There is also a bit of spice… very light though, maybe gnger? It smells a little soapy as the scent develops. Not bad but not very fragrance like to me… more like a cleanser and not something I would ever want to wear as a perfume. The scent overall is very light with minimal throw and lifespan. I really want to try this out around my husband and see if it works the way it’s intended to. Hopefully he’ll like it more than I do.

My guess as to the notes in Red Devil would be cherry, dragons bolld, carnation, jasmine, and maybe vanilla. When I first sniffed this in the Imp, all I got was cherry, and I was a bit disappointed, but on the skin, it's a beautiful blend - sexy, sweet, and spicy. Yum!!!

In The Bottle very sweet but also astringent lemon. Strange. I was expecting spice I think, with a name like Red Devil.

Wet On Lemon Candy. Yum!!

Dry Wait, where did it go?? The smell totally disappeared.

Ok, even after pretty much bathing in the stuff, it still disappears on me after minutes. Into the swap pile it goes! And I REALLY wanted to love this one!

In the bottle: Spicy Kool-Aid.

Wet: It smells a little like these orange gummies my mom used to buy--kinda citrusy and spicy.

Drydown: Really fruity with a hint of spicy musk.

I adore this one. Definitely one for a bottle.

In the imp, I got mostly floral and herbs. When I applied it to my skin, I got a whiff of orange. There's also something sweet here, almost like vanilla. The combination of orange and "vanilla" reminded me of baby aspirin (not bad, I used to love baby aspirin as a kid!). There's definitely some floral note here but I couldn't place it... I was thinking maybe ylang ylang? No matter... this was lovely on, and the hubby loved it on me (a-hem! :P). This is definitely big-bottle material for me!

Sniffing the imp, I immediately thought of those chocolate oranges that you break apart into individual slices. A very appealing smell, sure, but one I'm more than a little apprehensive about trying on me. But what the hell? All aboard, explorers! Once on, the citrus is definitely there and in such a pleasant way. No trace of chocolate now but there's something more. Possibly the same sort of indescribable yumminess in Jester that fairly has me squirming in my seat and wanting to move about.

Now that I've had time to analyze the end result, it's not unlike Ecstasy (back when I used to do that sort of thing). A sort of restless energy underscored by lust. I could just as easily choke myself on a cock, wash a sink full of dishes, or plunder the nether regions of a bound, squirming female with my tongue. And I get the feeling I'd do any or all of the above with equal fervor. It just seeps through you, filling you with a warm suffusion of pleasure not unlike orgasmic afterglow.

Once in awhile, I'll really connect with a particular scent and a veritable saga will unfold in my head based around that scent and whatever associations my brain makes. With Red Devil, it's a name association first and foremost. I automatically think "Sea Devil" because of my undying love for Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Tigana'. In that lovely tale, the Sea Devil was the tavern of choice for many among the book's protagonists.

There's an immediate psychological association of unbridled fun, rowdy horseplay, bawdy songs, and the sweet smell of wine and rum. Perhaps even a trace of hazy smoke and the sharp, metallic tang of a barely-cooked chunk of red meat slapped down onto a platter in front of you. The tables are scarred, of course, with various declarations of undying (and unrequited) love. For the most part, everyone inside is content and happy, enjoying the company of good friends and good drink. If one is of a mind to look more closely, one might discern that the shadowed corner shelters the requisite loner, tugging down the hood of his cloak so as not to be recognised. Desperate for human interaction if only through vicarious means, he's content to sit and watch, occasionally growling out his order to the buxom, red-headed bar maid who flounces about the tavern taking the patrons' orders.

10 ml. Without a doubt. No point in thinking about a 5 ml. This is simply too delightful not to have massive quantities of. I've read that it can get soapy but if the vaguest whiff that I can now detect is as bad as it gets, I'll be more ecstatic than I already am. The only downside that I've seen is that it does fade fairly quickly, not unlike a really good buzz if we want to stick with the "ecstasy and tavern" analogy.

This starts out as a very red scent--but a sweet cherry candy red rather than a spicy devilish red. It is somewhat spicy in that it prickles my nose, but it doesn't smell spicy.

There's cinnamon and cloves and something edible-smelling in here. It smells very familiar, but I can't place it. This stays sweet and smooth on me until it turns into a nondescript generic soap-like scent. Not for me.

Red Devil

A red scent alright., sweet and warm and cosy. I might get cinnamon and mahogany. There are better "red" scents though, this one is kinda soapy/perfumey... As for the effects - well I don't know but I think I'll feel kinkier and more comfortable in a perfume I actually love.

Edited by Caltha

In the imp: rose and resin and orangey citrus.

On me, wet: florals, primarily rose, with a spicy ginger scent and a lot of green herbiness behind it. I keep thinking this is going powdery but I dont think it is; I think it's just my reaction to the herbs and florals together.

On me, dry: faint cinnamony-clovey spices over a herby-powdery scent. Makes me feel slightly nauseous. The SO likes it, though. *shrug*.

Verdict: I don't think I'll be keeping it - the SO likes it, but doesn't think it's sexy. And I find it's making my stomach turn.

It reminds me of Mars in being surprisingly floral. I get soapy, perhaps slightly musky florals. Can't tell what it is. Smells more fruity than jasmine, close to rose, maybe. Maybe orange blossom is what it is. A scent that makes me go "Fooooo!" and rub my nose.

Smells a bit too stuffy and perfumey to inspire a lot of kinkiness in me, I'm afraid.

I must have a weird nose. I'm just getting flowers here. Sweet flowers, and if I had to give a color it would be more pink, yellow, and green than red. More fresh picked garden bouqet than devil.

..... frimp? Swap? I can't remember! :P

In the Imp: Spicy florals, which I just know are going to go soapy on me. Maybe a hint of cinnamon, something else a little sweet (almond?), oranges, and that vague green cooking spice smell that almost every Voodoo blend has. It sounds delicious, but the overall effect is surprisingly sharp and watery-- the florals, doubtless. Damn them.

Wet: Cassia or cinnamon, faintly, and something else... clove? Nutmeg? And florals. And maybe honey, or almonds. And oranges. It's not soapy, I'll give it that, although it's not as rich and thick as I wanted it to be, either. Surprisingly subtle, really, and so far it's not bashing me over the head with its sexiness, either..... Oh! And resin! Dragon's blood, maybe? It's got a nice, warm redness to it, but not the heavy velvet curtains feeling I was expecting.

Dry: It's certainly inoffensive-- reminds me a bit of Blood Amber, really, although it's even lighter and closer to my skin. I will say I am feeling a tiny bit lustier than before I put it on, but in a languid, warm sort of way, not an energetic, kick-in-the-pants one (that might have something to do with the drizzly weather outside.) It's really quite pleasant, though.

Not my favorite, scent-wise, although certainly not bad in any way, shape or form, and I think this one merits hanging on to for a little further... testing. Rowr! :D

[edit] I went to sleep with this on several months after posting the review, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, EXPLICIT DREAMS WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP. Like, the most explicit I've ever had. In my LIFE. And I'm a TEENAGER. This stuff is fantastic.

*about to post* Whoa! Wait a minute! My feet and hands are suddenly burning.... mostly my feet. Biiiig surge of.... something, warmth or power or summat. Weird, but I like it! Red Devil's got a lot of personality, I think she's a keeper.

Edited by WidgetAlley

Red Devil

In the imp: lilac and orange! This smells a bit like French Love, but spicier. It smells almost like dragon's blood, even though there seems to be none…

Wet on skin: spiced orange and lilac.

Dry on skin: smells festive! This is an unusual but pleasant mix of lilac or wisteria, almost dry in scent, with a lovely sweet spicy orange scent which also has a mulled wine feel to it. It reminds me of Decadence with it's spicy boozy pomander scent-there's definitely some cinnamon in here. In fact, I think I'm getting a scent reminiscent of Harlot here-rose and cinnamon, perhaps? I like this!

After a while: yup, now this smells like Harlot with lilac. Maybe a touch of sugared orange as well, but mainly rose, lilac, and cinnamon. It's a hot, spicy, naughty little scent!

After about two hours, it's less spicy and more of a dry red-lilac floral scent, like dry lilac and rose petals with just a hint of the spiced orange and cinnamon bark that came before.

Verdict: this is, to me, a scent with elements of Seraglio (the spiced orange-rose) and Harlot (dry, hot, cinnamon and rose) with a huge dose of lilac. It has a spiced orange scent, sweet and reminiscent of Christmas, with floral notes of red rose and dry, springtime lilac. It's a pretty scent, with a feel of playfulness to it (the spiced orange makes the scent quite jaunty and festive). It's not a bad scent but I actually prefer Harlot to this-I think the lilac note turns too dry after a few hours. I also won't need it for it's purpose just yet. It's a nice fragrance but since I have similar ones, I'm swapping it off.

Emoticon rating: :P

Red Devil - The first time I sniffed this, I put it on my list of blends I had to get for myself and try out. In the vial, it was bright and fruity and sexy. I finally got an imp of it, and on my skin, it gets even better. The scent is most definitely a citrus-floral, and my guess would be that this blend contains orange, a tiny hint of lemon, and an even tinier dab of lime. As for the floral, I'm detecting the faintest hint of jasmine (thank God it's not going bonkers on me like it usually does!) and most definitely carnation, which is giving this blend a bit of overall spiciness. I am also pretty sure I smell herbs in it -- the same kind of herbs used in other Voodoo blends, specifically Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. This is a very sweet oil, although not in the traditional foody sense. It is a really powerful perfume with terrific throw, but it fades on me after an hour or two. Unfortunately, it is at this point when the yummy scents fade that my skin starts to amp up the jasmine, rendering this an unwearable blend for me. It would be so perfect if it just didn’t have that rotten bastard, jasmine, in it.

For whatever reason, I had Red Devil stuck in my head as a cinnamon/cassia blend, and had no desire to try it as a result. Enter lab freebies and insatiable curiosity!

Wow. This smells like coca cola at first. Very odd, and not at all unpleasant, either. It's also a surprisingly "close-skin" scent, like a semi-translucent wash. As it develops, I smell a spiciness which could be clove, carnation (my first guess), or even the dreaded cinnamon itself- but , whatever it is, it is NOT going red-hots/big red bubblegum on me, and that's a big deal. Anyone else get this effect and hate it? If so, I think you'll be safe here.

The base of Red Devil smells a bit like red musk, with maybe a tiny tiny bit of patchouli. As expected, it's sexy and va-va-voomy, in keeping with intentions. It's a slightly wacky, candy-ish take on a lot of the more "womanly" musk blends-perfect for a bit of kink. :P

I cannot speak to Red Revil's effects, as I was alone when I tried it and it was about 177 degrees outside. But...er... my dogs kissed me a lot!

From the GC Circle Swap.

Red Devil -- And here to inspire you to kinky sex acts is....a grapefruit? It's nice. Refreshing. Citrus-herbal. An odd, light, salty-musk touch in the background. Then after it dries, it's a quite nice sort of aquatic lilac. I'm confused. I'd wear this in my fairly rare light-floral moods, as I adore lilac, but I feel a bit odd using the Voodoo blends as everyday perfume.

Spicy with a candied sweetness. Exactly what Red Devil ought to smell like. It's gorgeous, like a licorice jelly bean or something. I love it!

Red Devil-

In Bottle: Orange and spice.

Wet: Oh, what an odd, herbal, spicy bloom upon my skin. An undertone I don't really like, either, kind of gone-to-dust. Will await the changes.

Dry: This cinnamon-y scent of which people speak--I think I'm getting it, but it's not very pleasant. It's kind of rude and plasticky, best I can describe it. This scent does not seem to be for me.

Overall: Not for me.

In the bottle: Spice! Cinnamon! Woo!

Wet: I'm looking through all the other reviews as I do this, and people say they can smell dragon's blood, and I don't know what dragon's blood smells like. But this kinda smells like cinnamon candy to me.

Drydown: This is really nice! The cinnamon (or whatever spice) mellows out, and it gets sweeter and a bit fruitier...

While wearing: Ooooh yes, this is lovely. This might be what I wear all day today. It's a bit floral-orangy smelling, but with the spice still in. I love it - it's spicy and sweet and just a bit powdery, playful and edible-smelling. A lot of the other voodoo blends have worked for me, so I'll give this one a try tonight. :P