Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Red Devil

A sinfully playful lust blend. Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty.

How very totally...wierd. Spicey and resiny in the bottle, this went on floral for me. Yes, that's right, floral. Lillies and roses and a hint of something more spicey but the whole blend just sort of soaped away. Sadly this didn't leave me feeling playful or much else as it was gone in about ten minutes.

Wierd chemistry. Feh!

This Devil deserves its name, it is definitely red. But instead of a flamboyant, glossy red, which is what I expected, this is a dark, muted red.

Both in the imp and on my skin, Red Devil is much softer and lighter than I would have thought.

I get some spice, mostly cinnamon and some sweet resin note that might well be dragon's blood. I thought that Red Devil would be sultry and bold. Instead, it is deceivingly innocent and playful, in that the different notes play with each other without ever settling. It is very changing on me and the overall impression is joyful and uninhibited.

I cannot vouch for its effect on my other half since he is one ocean and a continent away, but I wore Red Devil to bed twice and let me tell you that on both occasions my dreams were highly graphic and totally steamy. A keeper, obviously! :P

When I got this, I forgot what it was classified as. After trying it, I knew it had to be a Voodoo Blend. And I will be trying more of them. Wow.

At first sniff, I was very put off. I was going to swap it without even trying, but some got onto my fingers. The overwhelming musk dies down on contact with my skin and it turned into something pleasant, but nothing I would wear (so I thought).

DH was in the room, so I had him take a sniff. He (gasp) asked me to put some more on, which I did. I held out my wrist for him to sniff, and I got pounced on.

Grrrrrr. :P

Let's just say we had a very fun and energetic weekend.

The smell itself - my skin tends to pull out the sweet notes, and this did turn a little sweet - but it stayed hot and spicy. DH called it a "come-hither" smell. I think that's a little to gentle - it's more a "You. Here. NOW." scent.

I am getting a big bottle of this!

Edited by Lit Chick

I tried Red Devil on and sadly I didn't have any results...then again, I wore it when I wasn't exactly "available" to the boy, so that may play some part in it. Anyways, I do love the scent. To me it started out as a spicy orange with something laying just under the spicy orangeness: violets! PURE violets. It ended up turning into violets after it dried on my skin. Which I LOVED! I will definitely have to give Red Devil another chance and see if it can inspire some lusty playfulness.

i think i must have gotten a "bad imp" before, because my imp smells nothing like the last one. the last one was pretty gross. i really didn't like this scent at all, but i think it smells gorgeous now. honestly, i'm gonna try to compare the two:

the last imp i got of this was a so-called clear smell, and it was somewhat herbal and light. it actually didn't smell like anything, but i could've sworn there was a drop of civet somewhere in there, 'cause it took on a somewhat.. well, you know where i'm going with this. i don't want to be too rude.

this one is so pretty! i gave it a chance and smelled the imp even though i expected what i had last time, and this is almost the opposite. clean, but a very red shade upon first sniff. slightly tart and a bit candy sweet with a hint of roses every now and then. oh, this is so lovely and feminine. i'm glad i gave this a try. i believe i got it from miss_apple, but i had so many packages today i just kind'f ripped them apart and shoved everything in a big pile for sniffing purposes! thanks to whoever sent me this. you opened my eyes. :P

cinnamon and dragons blood completely smothered by flowers...if only the fowers would hide a bit more. sigh

Initial Sniff: Orange that somhow manages to be sickly sweet and bitter at the same time, on a bed of unidentifiable flowers and greens.

Wearing:The sweet orange fades into a more floral and green scent as it dries. I think there is light myrrh in here, giving a lightly sweet resiny base to the scent. This fades away to nothing in about an hour.

Voodoo Effects: I'm not feelin' it.

Final Impressions: This scent is more of a dark orange with green around the edges than red. This is not objectionable, but it is nothing special on me.

My first try of a 'Voodoo Blend'...

In the imp: I can't quite place what I'm smelling - it's like a few different smells at once kind of swirling around.

Wet: It smells so familiar... after about thirty seconds the lightbulb goes off over my head - I KNOW THIS SCENT! It smells exactly like this gorgeous 'Spiced Orange' incense from an occult shop across town; I don't shop there as often as I used to when I lived closer, but it's been my favourite incense for the last 16 or 17 years, so the scent is emblazoned on my brain. What a thrill to be able to wear it!

Okay, to make some sense of that rambling - it smells of orange, cinnamon, cloves and something in the incense department: myrrh, maybe? (I love the incensey smells, but so far I'm not too good at recognizing which is which, other than patchouli, which this is definitely not.) But it's not a juicy, sweet, candy orange - this is a very dry, aged orange, if that makes sense.

Dry: Exactly the same. Oddly, at first I thought it was going to disappoint me with a lack of staying power, but perhaps I was just cold for a while; it seemed to fade after a couple of hours but then come back STRONG for the rest of the day. It's been on for about ten hours now and is still going.

I haven't had a chance yet to test it for its intended purpose, but over the course of the day, I'd say that although I haven't really felt any 'lustier' than normal, I've felt sexy in the sense that this scent seems to make me feel very confident and assured in my own skin. It's a sexy, alluring scent, but not sexy like a young nymphet... this is sexy like an older woman who is utterly gorgeous without needing to make the slightest attempt to pretend she's anything other than who she is, and the age she is, and still can have much younger men begging at her feet. (I kept envisioning Susan Sarandon as I got whiffs of Red Devil through the day).

DEFINITELY going on the must-buy-a-bottle list. :P

This is very different from what I expected.. the scent smells very "pink" to me instead of "red." I smelled a bit of citrus, somewhere between orange and grapefruit, from the vial and when initially wet, but my skin eats most citrus, so it disappeared quickly. What has remained is a kind of floral-bubblegum smell. The same kind of smell as when you first crack a gumball, overlaid with flowers (I wanna say jasmine). There probably is some rose in here, since it's developing a lemony undertone on me. There might also be a tad bit of cinnamon or some other spice adding some background heat. To me this smells like a sweeter and floral version of Tintagel.

Not sure what I think of it, but it's not doing it for me.

As a smell, Red Devil resembles Rapture inside and out. I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't like Rapture, naturally Red Devil had the same affect on me.

As a Voodoo Blend (which I would like to review differently, in terms of its overall purpose) - B just wrinkled his nose and rolled over. I take it he didn't like the rose smell and any other elements had no effect on him. Darn! We were in a tiff, so maybe that had something to do with it.

If I liked the smell I would try a second go, but since strong roses just aren't me ... to the swap pile. :P

When I got my first imp set, Red Devil definately wasn't my favorite. It was not instantly beautiful and accessible as The Hesperides, Alice or Snake Oil (my favorites from that set). Fresh from the bottle, it definately had the sharp tang of hot metal to it...probably the dragon's blood/pepper combo. I was so disturbed I rinsed it off instantly and didn't try it again for months. Then I was sorting my swap/keep imps when I decided to dab on a bit just to be sure.

Boy am I glad I did. After the spiciness of the first minute or so, it drys down to this glorious floral blend. Like a stately flower (the rose?), peppered. I find it an incredibly sexy smell when I am feeling fiestier (vs. Snake Oil, when I want something v. sweet and lush instead). Makes me want to wrap myself in red ribbons.

I am so glad the Lab tossed this extra in with my order and that I gave it a second chance. I am just getting used to how BPAL blends can surprise me.

First sniff from the bottle-Cinnamon and....orange

After 15 minutes- The cinnamon in this jumped right out at me. Then the orange. There is something woody in this too. Maybe cedar or sandalwood, I can't tell which. I think there may be a little bit of dragon's blood in this too.

Summery-The cinnamon mellowed out after a while on me and then this became all dragons blood and orange flowers. This reminds me a lot of Wrath, but I liked this one better. :P

Oh man, do I love this!

Wet - cinnamon and dragon's blood, and something darker underneath…dark musk?…civet?…I'm not sure exactly what it is.

Dry - Man, oh, man, this is amazing. Not only does it smell fantastic, and it has a lot of throw, but I feel powerful. Confident, sexy..this stuff really works! I smell cinnamon, dragon's blood, orange, and that darker something. Maybe it's vetiver? As it dries the spicyness fades, and I am left with the dark earthy smell. The Scorpio in me adores this scent, although I certainly wouldn't wear it every day. I think a big bottle is in my future.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

Red Devil

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone ... and a little in the cleavage.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This goes on sweet and tangy. There is something oddly familiar here, but I can’t quite pinpoint what it is. This is citrusy – more specifically, orangey.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The orangey scent becomes less orangey, but still citrusy. It is difficult to explain.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is morphing into something that is giving me a headache. It is still sharp and tangy, with something I’ve smelled before but can’t place.

I found it! This smells an awful lot like Harlot when it soured on me (sour roses) – bleh!

Off to the Swap Pile with you!

Red Devil

Starts out very very sharp and green. I think it might be a sharp green rose scent. And there's some powdery bit in the background, but the powder and green sharp bit are very distinct from each other such that they seem completely separate. Eventually the sharpness fades and it smells more like fresh roses and the powdery part sweetens and it gets a touch of the O honey-like sweetness. I think I like this one.

I didn't review this one? Strange, as it's one of my favorites!

It's mostly orange and spices to me, and some musk (not dark musk though). A little bit sweet, but not too much. And even though it's supposed to be a bland which "Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty," I tend to wear it as an every day sort of perfume. :P

jasmine, lotus, cinamon, rose and pepper? in that order! Much softer than say harlot, but very seductive with a similar feel. I don't get dragon's blood so it must be a minor component.

I LIKE this alot!!

Bottle (Imp): I'm getting citrus out of the imp. Maybe with some crushed fresh herbs?

Just On: Citrus, but mild, and something I can't identify. There's the barest hint of sweetness underneath it all.

An hour or two later: There's a bit of spice in this, and I'm liking it. Spicy herbs. That's what I keep thinking.

Around 6 hours: It's herby, and a little bit 'off', but not horrible. It's faded a lot, so it's harder to detect now.

12 hours: This left the barest hint of herbs at this stage. I like it well enough.

Overall: This was surprisingly light and fresh, I was sort of expecting more spice than I got.

After reading other reviews: The citrus must be orange, from what I read. The spice is likely cinnamon. I don't get dragon's blood from it, although that could be part of the spice that I can't really identify. I'm like a few others here, this is very soft and quiet on me, but nice enough. I haven't really tried it for results, but I may keep it around just in case.

Orangey at first, with a dragon's blood base. Slightly spicy--cinnamon, likely. Flirtatious, perhaps, but doesn't exactly follow the intent, I don't think. For me, anyway.

It has that very very dead smell in the vial, just like Rage did for me, so I know there's dragon's blood in here. I don't get any cinnamon at all but there are some flowers here, possibly rose. Most of the time it is just nice dragon's blood juicyness with a hint of flowers in the background but every now and then BAM! suddenly there is a smell exactly like a used ash tray.??!! Stale ciigarette smoke and ashes, unmistakeable. :P :D :D

Then the ash smell fades back to sweet juicyness until it decides to pop out again.

This is odd.

This one just didn't work for me. When I put it on, I didn't get anything sexy or lust-inducing. I smelled a mildly sticky, clean floral that I couldn't place and that faded very quickly. I couldn't smell anything in the imp, so I couldn't get a clue as to what it was supposed to smell like.

This was a giftimp from the lab. Thank you so much! I'm very glad I got to try it. :P

At first, this is very cinnamony. Then, as it dries, it becomes cinnamon and flowers. I really like it at this stage. Unfortunately, after an hour or so, it does what every voodoo blend does--turns into herbal soap. Ah well. The first stage is lovely on me--I'll swap it with someone who has better skin chemistry.

When I first slathered on some Red Devil, I smelled like very yummy red cherry candies. Hard candies. Sweet and edgy.

That faded into the background and I started to smell a blend of pepper and cinnamon. The cinnamon wasn't as strong as it normally is on my skin though. And it was all muted by a strange, but good, floral smell.

I thought that it was rather pretty at this point. Then it turned into pure headache-inducing jasmine on me. Smoky and overwhelming. I had to wash it off as the beginnings of a migraine came over me.

Sadly, this is just another Voodoo Blend that didn't work for me... so far my only success in this category has been with Follow Me Boy. Oh well, up for swaps this goes.