Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Help with Jasmine scents, please!

Okay everyone...I need some help with jasmine and honeysuckle scents. I usually don't do floral (mostly only spicy florals and certain ones). I'm ordering a 2nd bottle of Harlot, (which I absolutely love - and I usually dont like rose scents, but love the cinnamon/rose combo) cuz I want to make lotion an bath salts, so I want to get a couple different blends with either jasmine, honeysuckle or another spicy rose like Harlot.

Can anyone compare Harlot to Lucy's Kiss? I'm trying to see if maybe I'll like that one. Also, is New Orleans "hint of spiciness" noticeable. I think the blend sounds good, but I'd want it a little spicy.

How about Muse?? Has anyone got an opinion, or about any jasmine scents. Beth's jasmine took a little while for me to get used to, as my previous perfumer used a much sweeter and softer jasmine. Now that I am getting used to Beth's jasmine, I'm ready to try some jasmine blends, as I love jasmine.

I know this post is kinda "all over the place", but I would appreciate input.

Thanks all of my fellow enablers.

Ligeia was very bright sweet jasmine on me, and after a couple of hours there was a faint hint of green grounding it down a bit. I had to hop in the shower so I didn't get to see how it developed after that, but I'm definitely going to try it again.

The spice in Old New Orleans was very apparent to my nose, but not loud - just a gentle dusting of spice over the flowers. It's also quite sweet and very honeysucklish.

The other scent I've tried that screamed honeysuckle at me was Circe. I don't know what the actual notes are in it, but it was very sweet and golden, what my nose identifies as honeysuckle.

Seraglio and Othello are both spiced roses, but in Seraglio the sweet almond is definitely the topnote. Neither is as screamingly rosey as Harlot.

Hope at least some of this helps. :P

Hi Lora,

I just posted an answer to your query on Bust Lounge. I've copied it and pasted below as well...

Re: Harlot vs Lucy's Kiss. As I recall Lucy's Kiss - on me at any rate - was big in the pale, rosey department, and faint in the victorian spices one. Harlot, IMO, has much more kick to it.

Re: scents with jasmine and/or honeysuckle, my faves so far are: Old Venice, Noir, and Twilight.

Of the three, I think you might really like Noir, Lora. Have you tried it yet? It has jasmine and/or honeysuckle in it (can't remember which, but definitely at least one of the two), but does not seem at all like a traditional "jasmine/honeysuckle" scent. I always say it reminds me of Natasha - you know, of Boris & Natasha on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show :P : sophisticated, slightly dangerous lady with Russian accent, wearing a long slinky black dress, elbow-length gloves, and smoking a cigarette in a holder. Heavy and spicy.

Old Venice is a lush floral - very heady and not too "perfume-y." I don't always like florals, but do love this one.

Twilight is awesome, but you gotta love lavender to dig on this one. I love lavender myself, and find that it nicely mellows and balances out the honeysuckle and jasmine in it - makes them not quite so sweet.

Re: Old New Orleans and its "hint of spicyness": on me Old New Orleans smelled mostly of gardenia. However, that might be just my weird body chemistry, because in the bottle the lemon and a bit of spice were more pronounced.

Also, if you are just on the lookout for more florals in general, in order to balance out the heavy scents you traditionally prefer, you might want to try Maiden. I just got it in a swap today, and it's not at all what I expected. The ingredients are listed as: white tea, Damask rose, and carnation. However, on me the rose takes a back seat to the spicy carnation scent, which is most prominent.

edited to add: ditto what shollin said about Othello. You might like this one.

Edited by rosefaith

Thanks everyone. Yes, Rosefaith, Noir is one of my favs, as well as Black Widow which has a hint of jasmine and rose with deeper notes. I also have Othello. The Lucy's Kiss sounds too dull for me then. I'm not sure about New Orleans. I suppose I can buy it and if I don't like it, I can swap it. I don't buy imps, I only buy 5 ml, as the imps don't last long for me. I also have Maiden and I love carnation so I love that one and Desdemona because of the carnation. I'm a little nervous to try Old Venice cuz I'm not sure if I'll like it. Maybe I'll try to get that one in a swap. As far as the Twilight, it sounds good and I'll probably buy it. I like lavendar.

I'm not a big fan of florals (or at least I always thought I wasn't until I found the Lab...) and I ADORE Old Venice and Twilight. Wicked is another floral that's right up my alley - a cooler, greener version of Twilight, might be one to keep in mind if you end up liking Twilight.

I love Old Venice too. I think it's a good gamble Lora. It's one of the few scents I bought with out trying and I'm glad I did! SUCH a complex floral.

I'm not a big fan of florals (or at least I always thought I wasn't until I found the Lab...) and I ADORE Old Venice and Twilight.  Wicked is another floral that's right up my alley - a cooler, greener version of Twilight, might be one to keep in mind if you end up liking Twilight.

Ooh. wicked sounds great. Will have to try this one. Thanks for the tip!

Okay, I'm going to order Harlot, Old Venice and I can get 4 other 5 ml bottles. I already have Wicked. I think I'll get Twilight for sure but then I'm still undecided between Delight, Muse, Feu Follet Eternal (as I like gardenia also) Lolita (which has honeysuckle and heliotrope - which I love), Old New Orleans (cuz it seems to have gotten mixed reviews). And off of the jasmine note....I am thinking of getting Old Port Au Prince (cuz Rosefaith likes it) and Wrath (cuz I like clove and cinnamon). It's so hard deciding. Maybe I'll just give Beth a list and ask her to pick, but she'ss so stressed I don't want to keep doing that to her, as I've done it before.

Decisions....decisons (indecisive Libra here).

Ligeia is a VERY strong jasmine; I had trouble making out the other notes. Lasted all day, too (as the scents I don't care for seem to do); give it a try if jasmine is what you're after.

If I could get reviews on these it would help lots! I love jasmine and I like things that smell spicy not too sweet.

Muse

Feu Follet

Legeia

Mata Hari

Nyx

Siren

Thanks

Kristy

Gorgeous jasminey scents:

-The Caterpillar (jasmine & incence)

-Muse (jasmine & lime)

-Twilight (round, lush jasmine)

-Old New Orleans

-Old Venice

Jasmine is one of those notes that really comes alive on me, and Beth is an absolute artist with it!

:P

Edited to add: Oh sorry, I didn't realize you wanted reviews on those specific scents. Yes, in that case, best to go to the Reviews section of the forum and just look them up!

Edited by summer

The only one that I've tried is Mata Hari. On me, it smelled perfectly of coffee and jasmine; the rose,tonka, and fig didn't come out much. I'm not a big fan of most jasmines but I did like Mata Hari. :P

One of my all time favorites is Siren. You don't hear a lot about it on the board but it is incredible. Be forwarned, it smells awful in the Imp...do not be put off by that. It's really worth trying.

Oh & use sparingly.

My 2 cents.

Wicked was all jasmine to me....probably one of the reasons I both loved and hated that scent.

But if you love Jasmine that much, go and get some.

You might want to vary your choices a bit too, and not just get all jasmine scents. Why? Well, as much as I love jasmine, and love jasmine on myself, I just can't wear Beth's jasmine note. Everything I've tried that has it turns kinda soapy and thin on me. I don't know why. It's not nearly as full-blown-night-floral as the EO I have at home. :D Different sources, I guess.

Besides, there are so many lovely scents to choose from. Why limit yourself to those that all have the same particular note? :P

Queen Gertrude and Queen Mab have jasmine in them, and they're both amazing. I don't think the jasmine's very strong, though.

mmm...Every night I wear Oneiroi to bed :P

It is lovely jasmine with lavender and sandalwood too I think...smells amazing.

I love Old New Orleans too!

The only oils I've tried that contain jasmine that I've really liked are The Caterpillar, Oneiroi, Venom and Twilight.

Black Dahlia's VERY jasminey, too, infact it was actually TOO jasminey for my tastes. :P

Hope that helps. You might wanna order the single note jasmine before it goes away, too.

If you hurry, you can still get an imp of Yuki-Onna which was jasmine and nothing but jasmine on me.

It's lovely, but I expected some citrus-y goodness, too. I never got it.

yr