Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

I'm not getting much cherry at all. Dry, this is all dragon's blood and clove with myrrh. Its a little musky and sexy........but WHY am I smelling cinnamon? There's a faint undercurrent of cinnamon. Please don't go cinnamon on me.

I'm guessing its the clove taking over, but mixed with the cherry and dragon's blood is reading cinnamon.

I guess I'd sum this up as spicy, musky dragon's blood Edited by Shollin

I was really hopeful for this when I saw the notes. Dragon's blood and clove are some of my favourites.

On, this is really strong, and not as sweet as I would have thought. The clove is faint and very dry, and the dragon's blood smells thick and not anywhere as sweet as it usually seems in blends. Even the cherry, which normally seems just sickly sweet on me, is subdued almost to the point of non-existance. The myrrh really dominates this blend when I'm wearing it. It makes all the normally sweet or gourmand notes very exotic and dark.

I like this, although I don't know if I would ever get a bottle. It is very bold and just a little too agressive for me to wear on a regular basis. Still, a little of this got on my sheets and it smelled fantastic - I would totally love to have my house smell like this all winter.

After putting on Blood, I could immediately smell the cherry, but now (just a minute later) it's pretty much disappeared... like my skin absorbed it all or something. Aside from the quickly fading cherry, there is clove and what must be dragon's blood. This is a very strong, warming scent.. something I probably wouldn't wear in the summer. It makes me think of, well, blood I guess and the irresistable draw it has on vampires; the smell of this is kind of intoxicating, in a good way. It also reminds me of the feeling I get when I start to blush (or turn pink from drinking).

edit: So now I'm a wrist-sniffing wench now?! hahahaha :P

Edited by jazlyn

This went on nice. There's spice of the dragons blood and clove, but the cherry stops it from being too spicy. As it dried though, it turned to nothing but dragons blood. Good thing I got it for my sweetie.

In the bottle: Cherry with a darker undercurrent.

On my skin: The sweetness of the cherry wavers some before disappearing as the clove and dragon's blood begin to warm up and take over.

in the imp; mmmmm, cherry. i want to compare it to cherry cough syrup as other reviewers have, but not in the sense that it has a medicinal feel? it is just a deeply lovely, heady cherry scent.

wearing, the cherry disappears into a gorgeous sweet, spicey, warm, musky scent; thick, dark and decadent. it is a mysterious scent to me, it reminds me of quiet, dimly lit new age shops, & of this heartbreakingly beautiful incense that i once bought for an ex-boyfriend - incense which i can no longer remember the name of. :P

it's also fairly strong! a friend was able to smell it from a few feet away - said it was really nice but made him dizzy, ha. i tend to slather, so i'll have to remember to go easy on this one.

final verdict? i don't know if i'll be wanting a bigger bottle, but the imp is a keeper!

In imp, and on, wet: Deep, dark cherries warmed all day by the sun. Not too sweet because something (the clove?) gives it just enough of an edge to make it yummy.

Near drydown: Now I get powder and peaches - I don't like this stage as much.

Far drydown: Pure licorice. I hate licorice. Is this the clove or the myrrh? Either way, I'm pouting.

I think Blood is one of the scents you shouldn't wear everyday, and shouldn't decide about all at once.

For starters, if you smell it in the bottle, you'll toss it--cherry and medicine, and a dead ringer for Cherry Sucrets--the old ones in the tin, wrapped in silver paper...a fond childhood memory, but not a scent of choice.

But put it on. Five minutes into dry down on me, the cherry has disappeared--not gone, but morphed from that artificial cherry that we all know, and into real cherry, which is actually not sweet, but bloody, organic, and very strong...the myrrh and clove adds a rough edge, and a kind of iron and salt metallica at the back of the scent. If you could turn the extraordinary and viscous red of fresh blood from a colour to a smell...it would be very close to this...

Which may or may not be a good thing for you. But I think there may be days when you want to smell like the colour of blood. A warning maybe?...a declaration? I just felt strong when I wore it. Like someone who can bleed for seven days, and not die--and so a little scary, and very female.

With this on hand, I think it's like AC/DC says, if you want blood--you got it it.

Edited by Kaygee

I can smell this before the vial is opened, which is good.

In the vial: Uh. Cherry bathroom fragrance? Like the stuff they put in public toilets?

On my skin: It still smells the same wet. It's not horrible, but I'm not too sure about it.

On drydown, though, it's wonderful. It smells, to me, exactly like cherry incense. Like the headshops in Gatlinburg, in a good way.

It actually smells a lot different from how I thought it would. I guess I thought this would smell like some exotic fruit cobbler. I'm pleasantly surprised. This strikes me as sexy, but comforting.

It's also got a good throw - it's the first BPAL blend I didn't have to put my nose directly against my wrist to notice it. I like that.

I think this is very me.

Blood: Sweet DBR.

On: still sweet, but spicy, definite cloves. Delish!

Dry: And then myrrh comes charging out - spoiling the party. Something else sour up close, but an all myrrh, and oddly, sandalwood, throw. Eventually mellowed, but ended up very masculine and spicy on me.

Initial impression: Started out sharply and strongly clove, and I couldn't find the cherry in it at all. In the first 30 minutes the clove overpowered everything else, and it was making me slightly dizzy. Perhaps that was because I could not stop myself from repeatedly bringing my wrists to my face and breathing it in. (The dizziness was kinda fun.)

While wearing: Resin-sweet (must be the Dragon's Blood), but still no cherries. Also I have to get pretty close to my wrists to get any clove. After about an hour, it turned a bit powdery, but the sweetness never faded. The myrrh lends a subtle undercurrent of smoke.

The spiciness fades a lot over the first couple of hours, but the sweetness lingers quite a while. I put it on at 8 p.m. and could still smell it the next morning. After about four hours I still like it, but I want to re-slather to bring back some of the beloved clove.

For me, this is a singularly winter scent -- it feels red, and too hot for summer. Probably don't need a bottle, because I was really hoping for more clove and cherry. But I know I will use my imp.

Husband's reaction: "You smell like chai. It's nice." In the first couple of hours, he noticeably keeps coming round and being affectionate. "Strangely alluring, isn't it?" I ask. "Mmmrhhrmmm-mmrhhmm," he says, snuggled into my neck.

It's like cherry flavoured Dragon's Blood! Which, by the way, is not such a good thing. I want the spiciness of the clove, but I'm not finding it. Sadly, there's too much dragon's blood resin in this blend to make me need to keep it, since Ars Draconis fills that niche quite well for me. If there were a few more spices to keep this interesting and complex, I think I'd probably adore it, but this one is off to swaps for me.

first sniff from imp is very bold and almost spicy dragon's blood!! :P

upon application this is much more cherry...i can smell the clove and myrrh

mingling in this blend as well.....it is very long lasting too.....lovely :D

Edited by sookster

Wet: very obvious & strong dragon's blood. It's very sickly sweet.

Initial dry: the cherry comes out to play, taking over as the main component; juicy & wet & sweet. there's a tiny bit of a metallic tang to it, and the dragon's blood moves to the background.

dry: metallic cherry. i really like bpal's cherry note, so this is happy-making. i almost never pick up on the clove note in bpal blends, and this scent is no exception.

hours & hours later: the cherry has faded, there's a bit of the resiny dragon's blood & myrrh, but they're faint and not overpoweringly sweet.

In the bottle: I can smell the clove, but the cherry is very strong.

On my skin: Starts out with the clove, but the cherry quickly takes over. Within the first hour, it for some strange reason turned to a powder scent on my skin! Not unpleasant, but not at all what I was expecting or wanting! :D Lasts for hours, but remains a powdery scent. Pleasant enough to use up my imp, but I wouldn't order more.

4/9/06 ETA OK, I have to go back and change this review, because after the first time I tried it, I've never gotten the powder scent again. In fact, this has quickly become one of my favorites, and I have a 5 ml bottle on order and am already regretting that I didn't just go ahead and order the 10 ml. Next order coming up! Must have been something wrong with my sniffer the first time. :P

I've finished up my imp, and the cherry/clove mingling remains long lasting on my skin. I've been putting it on at bedtime nightly, and can still smell it in the morning when I wake up. Very sexy scent.

Edited by Poenari

This is sweet, almost medicinal cherry and a lot of clove, underscored by spicy dragon's blood. As it dries, the cherry darkens and smells more like cherry juice while the clove remains strong, hot, and spicy-sweet. It reminds me of the way the Boy, who used to smoke cloves, smells, making this comforting for me if not necessarily what I'm looking for in a personal scent.

Very sweet cherries with a bite of spiciness. Sexy! Very red in scent as well as color early on, then turned to a deep, dark incense with bits of clove. Overall this was a very thick and mysterious scent, intense and powerful.

Ooooh, yum. When I first put this on, there is a overwhelming cherry smell. Thankfully, it mellows into a much darker scent with a ripe cherry undertone.

I've seen people say it's a vampiric scent, good for those with blood drinking tendancies... I disagree. This is the scent of blood just under the surface, pounding quickly in fear or arousal inviting any blood drinkers or meat eaters to come and have a little taste. This is the scent of blood just under your nose as you lick your partner's wrist with your fingers teasing further below. Predator, prey, and sex, all in one glorious bottle.

Yum.

On me, Blood just screams CHERRY. It's spiced cherries all the way. I personally find it to be more than a little repulsive (I'm just not a person for wearing most foody scents, and this one additionally seems very close to its namesake, which doesn't make it easier for me), but if you love cherries, give this one a try. For me, it's off to the swap pile.

The cosmos must think I’m anemic or something, because it keeps sending me imps of Blood. Initially grape juice. On dry down it becomes more complex (resin notes) but still remains fairly sweet. A good and interesting scent for Dragon’s Blood lovers, but a little too sweet for me.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dragon's blood! And... myrrh.

Preconceived notions: Dragon's blood and cherry?

In the imp: Clove, cherry and dragon's blood! Not at all cough syrup-y, at least not yet.

On skin, wet: Annnnd cue the sneezing. It's the myrrh. Myrrh never fails to make me sneeze, the evil thing. Beneath that, a wisp of dragon's blood -- which is odd, as my skin usually loves to amp DB -- clove and cherry. It would be lovely, were it not for said myrrh.

On skin, dry: Hmm. The myrrh backs down a bit, but never disappears; I don't sneeze anymore, but it gives me a headache. Besides it, it's a lovely scent -- earthy, rich and spicy. I love dragon's blood, so I'd likely want a 10ml, 'cept for said myrrh.

Conclusion: I'll definitely be keeping the imp around; maybe eventually myrrh will stop being cruel, and will let me enjoy what is otherwise a gorgeous scent.

As a big fan of Bloodlust, I was happy to see this as a freebie in my sister's order (yeah, I total swiped it from her. Of course, she found out and stole my Neo-Tokyo imp).

This does not disappoint. It's sweeter than blood (though I didn't get the cherries--I never do) but it's got all the strength and vitality. It's warm and not dry (I wouldn't call it wet or moist, just not dry which, given the cloves and the myrrh, it could have been). It's even got a bit of a tang to it.

I love it.

I like wearing my favorite "blood" scents during the bleeding part of my menstrual cycle, and Blood is one that is reserved solely for that time.

There's something very primal and strong about Blood; i adore the combination of sweetness from the cherry (and I picture black cherries in this case) and the dark earthiness of myrrh tarted up with clove all surging through the dragon's blood resin. It's not a scent for the meek; to me, it's a reminder of the potency and power unique to women as a result of our menstrual cycle.

Blood is the scent of the incense that burns in my mental Moon Lodge; it's dark, warm and inviting when that uniquely feminine time comes around each month.

(edited to fix typos)

Edited by ayelienne

In the imp: mmm, cherry cherry warm delicious yumminess.

On me, wet: oh ow ow, do not get this into a scratch in your skin. It burns, it burns! Smells of rich cherry warmth, with a dash of clove to detract from the sweetness and a little bit of dusty myrrh-ness.

On me, dry: Smells like dusty warm clove and rich dark polished wood. The cherry is pretty faint, alas, but there's a sort of metallic tang behind the warmth.

Verdict: I was fairly sure from all the listed notes that I would like this, and hey, I do. It is definitely evocative of blood - thick, rich, heavy, easily-clotting dark red blood. I'm not sure I can really get away with wearing a scent this *dark* and rich and heavy, but I'd certainly like to try. Yum.