Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

I love blood. Real blood. As in, fresh from a cut (perhaps I am odd). I find it beautiful and fascinating and for those reasons I feel like I should love all of these BPAL blood blends. I just hate dragon's blood.

This fragrance smells so odd to me. Like thick cough syrup with something rotting in it. The cherry is medicinal, the dragon's blood decaying, and the clove bitter.

It seems thick and awful. It makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach.

In the imp: I smell the cherries right away, and thankfully it's a fresh black cherry scent and not the fake cherry scent I associate with cough medicine. (I've been hesitant to try any of the scents with a cherry note because I loathe that cough medicine smell so much. I'm very pleased to see that my fears were utterly without basis. I should have had more faith the lab.) Under the cherry, I can detect something dark and spicy and a slightly bitter note which I believe is the myrrh. Overall, it's a nice, complex scent with plenty of resin/spice to interact with my skin chemistry and not enough fruit to smell teeny-boppery. It's also an amazing dark red color, almost exactly the color of blood when I have it drawn at the hospital. It would look awesome sitting on my vanity in a glass perfume bottle, so I have high hopes for this one.

Wet: Hmm...The cherry is still the strongest note, and it's not quite as nice on my wrist as it was in the imp. Not that's morphed into bad cough medicine exactly...but there's the faintest trace of something medicinal there. I think it may be because the myrrh is stronger on my skin than in the bottle and that is what I'm smelling. Another sniff of the wrist reassures me that the resin is still there under the cherries and the bitter. I'm willing to see how these cherries and myrrh settle in.

Dry down: Whatever fears I had that this scent would be too fruity for me have now been safely laid to rest. The cherry more or less vanished after about half an hour, leaving me with a vaguely sweet, incense smelling blend. Once in a while, if I sniff deeply and hold the scent in before I exhale, I can detect the faintest hint of what smells like cherry pits. It's cherry mixed with wood. However, it's very very faint. The clove finally came to the surface after a while, and that's what's providing the sweetness now. Between the clove and the resin, I smell like a palmist's shop where someone smoked a clove cigarette a few hours ago.

Over all impression: There is absolutely nothing unpleasant about this scent, but there's also nothing terribly special. The complexity that intrigued me from the imp is gone, leaving me with a nice incensy resin scent. Because it just doesn't wow me like my favorite bpals do, this one is probably destined for my swap pile, but I really can't say anything too negative about it. It's just sort of blah on me. On to the next scent...

I smell cherry, but it's spicy. I can't place what the spicy note is, probably because I'm not well-versed in single notes, but ohhhh this is good. It's deep and spicy. I can't get over the spice, apparently.

I'd give more of a review, but the Geek that I have slathered on my wrist (I have Blood on the back of my hand) is overpowering this so very much and distracting from the spicy cherries. :P

I was a little apprehensive about trying this, because of the cherry -- fruity scents are kind of dodgy on me. I really don't like them when the fruit is too strong and they become candy-sweet, but a little bit of fruit in a balanced blend with other things can be nice. Some of the reviews of Blood that I've seen have compared it to cherry cough syrup, so I was a little nervous.

However, it smelled more resinous than fruity in the vial, so I took the plunge, though I applied it fairly lightly. And thus far, it's surprisingly nice. The clove comes out most strongly; it's quite aggressively spicy on me. And the resins back it up nicely -- I'm getting predominantly spicy dragon's blood, with a touch of grounding myrrh and only a subtle whiff of cherry, which suits me just fine. But we'll see how it develops over time...

30 minutes later: Hey! Where are you going? Come back! Grrr, why does my skin always seem to drink up the scents I like the best? *applies more, and more heavily this time* Uh-oh. Where did that sudden, overpowering cherry scent come from? That wasn't there the first time! Talk about a sneaky trick... Oh, OK, the cherry seems to be dying down a bit now. Thank the Gods.

Eventual verdict: slather it on enough and it eventually sort of stays, though not strongly (then again, it could just be my nose getting used to it), and with that nice, spicy-resinous scent, not the cherry-overkill that briefly emerged on re-application. It's actually a bit reminiscent of Tintagel, another one I quite like, in that spicy-incensey-scented-candles sort of way, but with more edge. It's like a don't-fuck-with-me version of Tintagel -- maybe Morgan LeFay's castle rather than Arthur's. And definitely a keeper -- the only thing stopping this from being a A is the lack of staying power.

Grade: A (was B+)

Edit: OK, I originally gave this a B+, but I think I really have to upgrade it to an A. My partner came home not long after I'd posted this review (and re-applied Blood again, since it was fading again), and when she sniffed my wrist, her eyes went really wide and she said "Oh, YUM!" and took several more deep sniffs. And ever since (that was about an hour ago), she's been creeping up behind me and sniffing my neck or arms, nuzzling and/or biting me, and dropping comments like "Damn, you smell good!" I don't think I've seen her react that way to any scent I've worn, ever. Any perfume that gets that kind of reaction from my girl gets an A! :P

Edited by Miss Lynx

My Impression:

Cherry Liqour. I find it totally appealing and am glad I had the opportunity to try this. I could even see me wearing this everyday. Although I would not find it appropriate for the winter months, pretty much it would work for spring, summer & fall to me. My scale of 1-5..... 3.5

How odd - I could swear I had an imp of this months ago that i swapped away - and that I had even reviewed it, but I don't see anything!

Regardless - the lab clearly knows best as I got this as an extra (thanks!!) in my last order -

Hmmm...we must be in the same zone, because the same thing happened to me. I threw the new imp into my swap pile, then while the perusing the fragrant fellow thread, I read more about it and became intrigued....so put it on.

And its lovely. I don't get the cherry, thankfully, though the dragon's blood and clove come through beautifully, and it all combines to smell like spicey carnation on me. I like it!

Guess it goes from swap pile to my imp box!

Richly, decadently feminine.

It seems like dragon's blood is quite floral on me. That's the first note that hits me when I apply this, and though it lightens during drydown, it's present throughout. And it's a floral I really really like, almost herbal-edged.

I don't get the cherry note at all, and the clove barely makes a peep, but there is a sense of something murky and deep red in this. This is a very womanly blend on me, very confident and a little dark.

This one is a keeper.

EDIT: Is there myrrh in this? I can't distinguish it, but it may be what is making that red note deepen. Cool.

Edited by maewitch

Wet this is heavy, sweet, BRIGHT cherry...like a lollipop... partnering with the dragon's blood. As soon as I put it on, though, the cherry dries down to a deep red, and the clove and myrrh move to the front. It is really a very warm and fresh spice, like HOT, pulsing blood. The cherry, once dry, is only making the blend sweet...not overly fruity. I am so glad this is here for fall! Blood Kiss is for DH, but THIS one is MINE!

Just received this as a surprise extra in a swap, and ohhhh... *swoons*

This is thick and darkly spicy-sweet. I got a bright sweet hit of cherry on first application, but on drydown it's balanced out by the clove... those two notes do a sort of evil, sensual tango while the dragon's blood and myrrh give it a lovely earthy warmth in the background. And there's just a slight tang about it that makes it reminiscent of actual blood.

Warm and wicked, perfect for fall. I was certain I'd like this, based on the notes, but I adore it. Damn, another to add to my "must get a 5ml" list! :P

From the Imp:

Cherry and Myrrh... and a warming fragrace that might be the cloves.

Wet on skin:

The tang of the dragon's blood "turns" on me ~ and not in the nice way. :P The cherry makes for a nice perk in the fragrance but the darkness of the scent is too much for me and my nose. The clove takes over and pushes the cherry scent right off of my skin.

Dry Down:

A faint, powdery smell on me... but still that top note tang of the blood resin is just too strong for me. :D

In closing:

I am washing this off of my skin ~ Blood does not like me and the feeling is mutual.

:D

Huh. It's Blood Amber without the amber. The name is very literal. I expected a metallic tang, like the tast of blood, but it it actually sweet and warm, almost a bit fruity as well. It is ver pleasant.

I recieved this imp in a trade from aedes, and I must say, I really really like it!

In bottle: VERY dark and almost...musty. I can mostly smell the cherry, but it's a much...blacker smelling cherry than the cherry note in, say, horn of plenty. I think i'm getting a fair bit of clove-smell, too..

On skin (wet): When I first put this on, it had a very overpowering, almost soapy smell. I put this down to my untrained nose not being able to cope with complex fragrances though. Still quite musty and dark smelling. A bit overpowering.

Drydown: LOVELY. Getting more cherry now (a brighter, bolder cherry), with the warmth of cloves and a tiny bit of the myrrh.

I'm definitely a fan, though i'm not sure i'd buy a bottle.

Well, this may be an exception to nothing with "blood" in the name working for me. The clove and myrrh are quite strong, and they do cut the over-sweetness of the dragon's blood quite a bit (though my husband still thought it smelled a bit old-ladyish). It's fairly powerful on me; I only put a small amount on to test, but it was very noticeable.

There is still a bit of that quality of over-sweetness, which strengthens as it dries, but there's still enough clove and myrrh to make me think that there's a lot to like about this one. Very likely a keeper after all.

when i first tried this i had a visceral stomach turning--i hate u reaction to this-- it smelled too much like real blood..then i tried aging it and tried it 2 weeks later and i like it. its very potent...spicy cherry--i would almost say it smells like doctor pepper...the strong cherry dissapeared through the aging process so the cherry cough syrup thing has gone leaving more of a darker honeyed molasses cherry cola feeling..

just goes to show--give everything a second chance..

This is a thick scent, thick and sweet. On the imp wand, it's warm and bright with cherries and cloves coming up above the dragon's blood, but on my skin, it immediately darkens into a musky overripeness and it becomes even more sweet. Sickeningly sweet. On my skin, I lose the clove and this turns into an blend of incense and slow-flowing corn syrup. It certainly captures the texture of blood, but it's not a keeper for me.

Wow, this really is warm and thick like blood.

Spicey cloves and sweet cherries! Very pretty. My fiance *loves* this blend on me and compliments it everytime I wear it out.

Excellent throw too, I can smell a tiny dab on my wirst for hours!

Blood is a really straight-forward but intense blend. I can smell all of the listed notes, and in combination, they are very sweet and almost overwhelming when wet. But as Blood dries, it becomes a lovely incensy throb. The myrrh goes in an almost tobacco-y direction, so it smells a bit like cherry tobacco.

I still don't know if I would ever invest in a whole bottle, but I like it, and it's sort of a BPAL coup, as I'm not really a huge fan of dragon's blood. Blood smells like what I was hoping to get from Blood Amber or Blood Kiss, but didn't.

This would be a great going-out blend.

i’m not a huge fan of dragon’s blood, but it’s actually pretty understated in this scent. the cherry is what stands out. sweet and juicy black cherry. the clove adds a hint of spice and makes it more interesting and complex. however…one cherry scent will suffice for me, and i love the cherry/mahogany action in Red Queen. so this one’s off to swaps.

Mmm, I like Blood. It has excellent throw and lasts for several hours, even through a dish-washing episode. I still don't know dragon's blood or myrrh well enough to identify them, but I do know cherry and clove, and they both shine in this scent. Clove seems to be the heaviest note with darkly sweet cherry complementing it beautifully. It doesn't morph at all from imp to skin, which pleases me very much.

Ah, another freebie from the lab which shows they know best. Blood is one of those scents that I keep meaning to get but never get round to. And I really should have done so sooner. This scent is cherry-licious, but not too much so. It's as red as I expected the Living Flame to be. Flowers, fruit and incensey clove mingle together nicely.

When I got this I was worried about the cherry, but I love Dragon's Blood and like cloves...

When I first put it on I smelled a strong cherry. I was not pleased. However, a couple minutes later the cherry is gone and I smell the clove. This reminds me of Dragon's Heart but with more spice. This will be good for fall.

In the imp: Something dry and musky and/or incensey. Sweetness like cherry, Dragon's blood resin. Slightly metallic, strangely enough.

Wet: Dragon's blood resin for SURE, strong strong strong cherry. Incense in the background, trying to come out. So far not much clove noticable.

Dry: The cherry does soften quite a bit and the myrrh blends very nicely with it. Reminds me a lot of Blood Rose but without the wine.

Category: DBR/sexy/dark

Rating: 3.5/5, very sexual blend

Overall: A nicely mixed scent and it is very sexy and sexual, but I already have too many scents similar to it so it's not too special.

Blood

In the imp: cherry! Red juicy sweet cherries.

Wet on skin: red cherries with sweet myrrh, I think. Maybe a touch of clove.

Dry on skin: mmm, I quite like this! The dragon's blood is more apparent now, with a very realistic cherry note, as well as deep sweet myrrh and cloves as well. It's a very nice mixture, a sweet, fruity, deep scent that has resinous-spicy warmth. The cherry and dragon's blood go nicely together.

After a while: the scent gets deeper and 'stickier', it has this really dark sweetness to it, I think the myrrh contributes to this. I like the way the clove enhances the scent, adds a spicy bite to the overall fragrance. There's a metallic aspect to the scent as well, I think-which is very appropriate for blood!

Verdict: I picked a very appropriate time to test this-namely, my time of month, lol! I was very surprised at how nice this smells. Sometimes some cherry scents go a bit medicinal on me but this doesn't-it's like the cherry in Hollywood Babylon, a deep, sweet, fruity cherry, it's an authentic cherry note. The dragon's blood enhances that cherry whilst adding it's clear, red, slightly metallic scent, whilst myrrh is probably what makes this scent darkly sweet and sticky, and I also get a clove note in here as well. It's a very red scent, sweet, thick, warm and deep and even a bit metallic. I'm not sure if I'd wear it much but I really like it, I think I'll keep the imp.

Frimp from the lab~ And wow, is it red. It certainly lives up to its name in appearance, at least.

in vial: Spicy, husky cherries.

just applied: I like the cherry note in this a lot; it strikes me as being quite realistic. This is very, very spicy, but the myrrh warms it up some, which is nice. (also: it's even red on my skin!)

drying down: OH MY GOD WHAT IS WITH ALL THIS CLOVE MY SKIN IS MAKING BABIES WITH IT

dry: ...I never got that far. The clove proved to be too much for me.

verdict: I really don't like clove much at all, but everything's worth trying once, right? If my skin hadn't amped the clove into the stratosphere, I imagine this scent would've been a keeper for me, since I loved the first moments it was on my skin, at least. Already swapped to a loving home.