Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

(this is so strange, I really thought I had already left a review of this)

One of my favorites! I love the dragons blood with the myrrh and the clove. The cherry is very light in this and adds the perfect tiny bit of sweetness to go with the spicieness. This is going on my big bottle list!

I love this one. :D

I am finding that I like dragon's blood a lot. :P In this blend the dragon's blood is what I smell the strongest, but the clove and myrhh add a soft and spicy dimension to it. The cherry complements the dragon's blood and keeps it sweet, instead of going flowery. It dries down to a wonderful spicy, fruity, and deep smell.

I like Blood, but I'm not sure if I love it yet. It's definitely the sexiest BPAL I own right now, and sort of reminds me of Lust (possibly from the myrrh and overall mood). I like that it's strong and keeps up its intensity. The cherry is most pronounced when wet, but keeps the blend from smelling too dry as time goes on. I like this when layered with Dana O'shee to get a sexy-sweet blend. The cherry and almond complement each other well, and Dana O'shee's honey makes Blood much more wearable.

Wow this one has the most drastic change from wet to dry that I have ever seen in a BPAL.

Wet: All cherry cough syrup, all the time!!!! Oh how I detest cherry!!! :P

Dry: Wow! Where'd the cherry go? Now I smell clove and dragon's blood. It's turned into a very spicey, burnt scent...whereas the wet stage was juicy and fruity.

I really enjoyed the dry stage. It's a bit like Hellfire meets Blood Amber. Now I'm going to have to consider this one some more...

I love Blood!

It surprizes me cause I dislike clove, and normally don't wear scents w/ Myrrh in them (just not my thing) but I think the Dragon's Blood and Cherry are what saved it. LOL.

I couldn't detect the cloves, so to me, this was a wonderful, sweet scent. You could smell the Dragon's Blood, and the Cherry, and Myrrh...

The Dragon's Blood and Cherry make it sweet, and the Myrrh gives it a bit more depth, some strength. It makes it sweet, but with a bit of a darkness....

Blood, makes me think of how blood must taste / smell to Vampires, I'd imaigne this is what Blood tastes like to them, Sweet, with some depth, almost as if it was a fine wine.

I might have to get another Imp of this, but I don't think I'll buy a bottle. :P

In the bottle: This smelled very, very strongly of cherries. Similar to Black Phoenix. I can't really smell much else at this point.

On: Ok, do NOT be fooled by the cherry smell in the bottle! It fades away quickly and settles down into a subtle, sweet, and juicy background scent. It's not nearly as prominent as you would have thought from the bottle. The myrrh and clove start taking over. For the first few minutes I could have sworn there was cinnamon in the mix and it reminded me strongly of Sin.

After an hour or so this mellows into a beautiful scent. The cherry works SO well with the dragon's blood and adds a darker quality that I don't usually get from straight dragon's blood. The clove and myrrh are perfect compliments. All of these elements blend together so harmoniously that no one note steals the show, yet they all remain detectable as individual notes. I can smell dragon's blood, cherry, myrrh, and clove still-even hours after I put this on.

Overall this is a lovely blend. If you enjoy dark blends, dragon's blood blends, or clove, you really should try this one.

I've been working my way through the BPAL clove scents ever since I fell in love with Voodoo but I'm starting to realize that for me, a little clove goes a long way. So far, Three Witches, March Hare and now Blood haven't worked for me, I think my skin tends to amp clove out of control. I got no cherry or myrrh from this blend, just a lot of clove and dragon's blood. It's up for swap right now.

Wet: Cherry. Something slightly murky below. Kinda reminds me of the drydown of Kabuki.

As it dries, it changes to dragon's blood and myrrh.

few hours later..nothing changes.

it's now faded completely.

Okay, where is my beloved clove, and where did the cherry go?! :P

I'm really disappointed, past the wet phase I can't smell anything but DB + myrrh. It's not unpleasant, it's just not the potential mind-blowingly fantastic scent it could have been.

I like this, but the cherry is a bit too strong on my skin. It overpowers all the other elements.

I do like the clove note, hoping it doesn't turn into cherry as well. It is making a quick appearance at the end. Now it's gone. :P

This fades really quick on me. Probably in 15 mins. Very disappointing.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Initial Sniff: Very Cherry, with just a hint of resin and spice. I am apprehensive.

Wearing: Cherry usually overwhelms any other notes present in a blend, but oddly enough the cherry here fades as it dries. The dragon's blood really comes to the forefront with the cloves kicking it up a notch (BAM!) and the myrrh rounding it out with a mellow sweetness. Excellent staying power as well.

Final Impressions: I don't get any of the metallic tang or the menstrual-ness of real blood that others have described. This is a sexy, spicy blend and it will have a place in my imp box!

Magnificent...utterly lascivious...

I wore it the night I saw Dracula with Mr. Hewitt (sp?) He was truly fit to the part...excellent stage presence...

And BlOoD just added to my delight! It was the perfect scent for the evening...

MMmMmMmmm...

:P

*Purgs*

hmmm... sounds odd but ..

this smells just like an antique music box my mother use to have. there's a fruity smell blended with a coppery smell with an underlying old wood smell nipping at the edges of the scent. it's not unpleasant, but not a scent i'd choose to wear. it'll probably smell great on my daughter.

hmmmm

ludens cough drops

no, toilet freshners

no now it is cherry syrup.....

wow this one is very strong, but on me is not very great

ok i aged it a bit, and i tried it again after hearing so many rave about it. and wow my first review was so not right.

it is dragons blood, cherry when wet...almost overly cherry. but that burns off within minutes. then it is a myrrh and clove blend that makes me swoon. thanks to all those who raved about it and made me try it again

Edited by shelldoo

This smelled very strongly of cherry to me in the bottle, but it became dragon's blood and myrrh on my skin. I wish I could smell the clove, though... maybe I should try layering this with Port-Au-Prince, which turns to almost pure clove on me.

Blood is wonderful, but a bit too sweet for me, unlayered.

First sniff from the bottle- A very dark and musky dragons blood

After 10 minutes- I am not getting any clove with this one, only dragons blood and something really dark and musky. The cherry blends in with the dragons blood really well IMO. Cherry scents are usually too sweet for me but this one isn't.

After 30 minutes- Metallic and bloody. Yep, this is blood all right!

Summery- This is not something I would wear all the time but I like it enough to keep the imp.

Blood smells dark red and thick/viscous, appropriately...I smell mainly dragon's blood and clove, and the cherry makes the dragon's blood fruitier and richer without jumping out and turning to red candy. It dries down very clove-y on me.

I like it, and I think it might be good for layering with other things because it's relatively simple.

Edited by isyche

In bottle: Dragon's blood for sure - there's that sweet, candy-cherry fragrance again.

On me: Cherry candy. It makes me think of cough drops! The spices keep it from being overwhelming, and it truly embraces its name. It does make me think of blood without actually smelling of it - the metallic note others mentioned is definitely missing from my imp.

Ooooh, have we a new addition to the top ten??

I don't get cherries out of this, at all, at any stage.

In the bottle it's exactly as it is dry on my skin, just more intense.

I get the warmth of myrrh, spiciness of clove, and then OOMPH and RED of dragon's blood.

A couple of hours later, it's softer, but the same lovely mishmash blend.

Going on the bottle list, for sure.

Eeep. Cherry. Dragon's blood resin, clove? I was sure it wasn't going to work, but I tried it anyway. Cherry & dragon's blood resin, when wet, sure enough, cherry, though there in small amounts, turned medicinal instantly. Dragon's blood resin quickly covered that up, but I can still smell hints of cherry cough syrup here & there. I get zero clove, which is normally very strong on me.

This is the first time Dragon’s Blood has smelled properly spicey on me. Lots of sweet resiny spice, a touch of myrhh and a little clove. I only got cherry out of this in the vial so it’s now a heady, sweet and spicey blend that’s pretty much guaranteed to make my boyfriend chew on my neck for a while. Mmm nummy and quite likely a keeper.

Blood:

Wet: Dragon's Blood? It's sweet..

Drydown: Incensy dragon's blood. :P The Dragon's blood is fading quickly, though.

Longterm wear: Sadly, Blood turned into pure resin after about an hour. I'm not fond of resin scents, so off to the swaps pile this one goes.

Origin:

I got an imp of this from oatmealneko. :D

Preconceived notions:

I love myrrh and clove and I'm pretty keen on dragon's blood but I'm not sure about the cherry. I have a feeling this could fall into the "It'd be great if it weren't for __________" category.

First sniff:

So far so good. The clove and myrrh really balance out the cherry and the almost-cherry smell that dragon's blood has. This is a dark red scent for me, not a bright crimson red the way dragon's blood scents normally are and I definitely prefer it this way.

Wet on skin:

More cherry-like now but still nice. The myrrh is really coming out nicely and counteracting the cherry note so that it doesn't take over. The clove is lending a nice, comforting spicy note to it, too, and rounding it out. So far, I think this is hands down my favorite BPAL dragon's blood scent yet. :P

Dry down:

I really like this! I was worried about the cherry in here, but it's not even asserting itself now. All I'm getting is clove, myrrh and dragon's blood and they smell gorgeous together. :D

The bottom line:

Gorgeous! I love the spiciness and the sweetish incense in this and I'm glad the cherry wasn't overpowering. :D

Wet it's all cherry and dragon's blood, with clove and myrrh undertones.

Clove holds the sweetness back, making it really nice.

Dry it's a hot and sexy scent... I feel a big bottle coming...

In Bottle: Cherry and resin.

On skin: Smells just like Black Phoenix to me… The cherry is strongest and the resin gives a beautiful warm spicy depth. I think the clove also gives it a spicy kick that makes my nose tingle. This stays sweeter than Black Phoenix which tended to turn kind of dirty smelling on me after an hour. The blood scent I think is very signature to BPAL, and every time I smell any scent with these notes in it I seem to warm up and devour the sweetness of it.

Bottle (Imp): SWEET! With some spice to it. This is pretty decent. If it stays like this, I might like it a lot.

Just On: Still very sweet, and can smell the spice part a bit more. There's some other stuff I can't identify in it, but nothing bad. Maybe clove is giving the spice to it?

An hour or two later: Very much the same scent, just faded a little bit. I don't know what dragon's blood resin smells like, but I think that might be what I'm smelling now, and I LIKE it. This is the first one I've tried (except for Calliope) that doesn't turn to a powdery scent. I could get pretty attached to this scent, especially if it stays like this.

Around 6 hours: It's faded more, but it's still there, and still smells very similar.

12 hours: Ahhh, there is a hint of the powder scent, though much less than others I've tried. All in all, it's very faded now, though I can still smell it. Certainly it's long lasting on me, which is good.

Overall: I like it. It doesn't morph too much through the dry down and wearing, and it's a comfortable scent for me. I wouldn't mind if it went powdery sooner, but it's good throughout, and I can live with this. I'll certainly use my imp, and enjoy it, but I think it will be down a bit further on the big bottle list.

After reading other reviews: Apparently the cherry is the sweet I was smelling. No cough syrup scent, not cloyingly sweet once it's on, and it stays much the same all the way through. I can't pick out individual notes (my nose isn't very trained yet, but I know what I like), but this is a nice mix.