Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

From Bewitching Brews

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

The name really does fit the perfume. It is a husky, dark scent with a wet sweetness. The clove is what makes the scent bitter, I think. All in all, it's perfect in the sense that it really does look, smell and feel like you're dabbing a little blood behind each ear. However, it will certainly be too much for someone without an appropriately vampiric nature.

Sniffing this from the bottle, I smell lots of cherry. As soon as I put it on, that changed to clove, though...I can smell hints of the other ingredients in it, primarily the myrrh then the dragon's blood...the cherry is barely noticable now, though there is still the faint hint of sweetness in this.

This is a rather interesting scent, but not one I will be wearing, as the smell of cloves has always bothered me.

There's a distinctly metallic and yet rotting smell underneath the sweetness of this one. Like bad, bad, breath mixed with cough syrup that's turned. I once saw someone describe the scent as "menstrual."

Initial Impression:

Thick, heavy and more than a bit fruity. But dark.

After Wearing It:

I really liked this! Which is unsurprising I guess since I like everyone of the notes. When I first put it on, the scent was quite fruity, the bold, round cherry note twirling around for all of the attention in the front while the dragon's blood resin (which has always smelled a bit fruity to me) stood behind it. There are suggestions of myrrh and clove, which helped to keep the cherry from being too candy like.

The cherry mellows down and the scent becomes sweet, smoky and resinous. Myrrh has thicked the scent up and empowers the Drogon's Blood to take a firmer stand, while the clove note meanders through the oil, giving this sweet, red dense haze a spicy bite. The whole scent is very rich and thick in texture, heady, sweet and primal. There's still a fruitiness to the scent as it's dying down, but it now sings in chorus with the other notes rather than giving a solo performance.

Final Thoughts:

I really like this scent. Really, really. The blood image of the scent reminds me more of the way blood flows, its color and the primal beat of it being pushed through our systems, rather than the actual fluid, spattering across a crime scheme or being guzzled by a vampire. I think even thoses with more...pastel tastes could appreciate Blood as a fragrance.

I think that this scent is just what it say's in the description Throbbing with sensuality!! I think the myrrh and clove gives this scent its tempting aroma.

BLOOD

at first: sweet, almost maraschino cherry-like, but with a bite to it.

on: reminds me a lot of BLACK PHOENIX, but with a darker undertone to it.

1 hour later: the scent has mellowed out a lot and is much lighter, but still has a darkly sweet, full scent.

overall: i don't think i'd every buy this one, since it's so similar to BLACK PHOENIX and i like that better. however, i'll definitely be using up my imp's ear.

It smells very foody in the bottle the cherry was very strong with only hints of something else( i'm guessing the dragon's blood)

It then dryed down to a an almost metallic scent, like real blood hasa metallic scent and taste ( think when you have cut your finger and put it in you mouth it has a metallic taste and smell).

After about an hour or so of wear it losses the sharp metalness but gains this darker almost sentual nature with a hint of the foody and metal scent.

It lasted a number of hours and even after i could no longer smell it ( 9 hours later), other could.

Overall I must buy a 5ml bottle of this stuff( if i ever get enought money to do it).

I have been really down and upset about things as of late but smelling this just sends me to another world.

And I think viciousviolet is right to really apprciate the scent you have to have darker almost vampiric nature.

Bottle: ... did Elizabeth put cherry NyQuil in by mistake? Close imp, toss aside.

I decided that before I ordered more imps, I'd go through the ones I had immediately disliked and actually give them a try.

I'm glad I did.

On: Whoa, still very sharp, almost stinging my nose when wet. Not real impressed. But ... there's something there. Elusive still, but I'm not reaching for something to scrub it off.

Another sniff, still slightly wet, and there's suddenly a coppery tang in the back of my mouth. Just like blood. That alone almost made it a winner, just because there was suddenly the perfect 'Yes This Is What It's Called' sense.

Drydown: Yay, the cherry faded into subtle sweet. The clove never really came out for me, but the dragon's blood and myrrh absolutely blossomed as it warmed and worked with my chemistry.

It's still a bit sweet for me, but I like this one. Once I got over the first half-hour of wearing it, it really grew on me.

Unfortunately, it's also fading too fast. I see that as a problem, since I'd have to endure the initial yuck factor, but I'm going to keep trying this one.

This scent is just candy:) I can't get enough of it. It reminds me of cherry lolipops.

My daughter simply adores this on me, and tends to sniff my wrists obsessively. My friend's cat even spent a good 5 minutes licking my wrists when I wore this over at her house!

Another beautiful scent that just lingers for a really long time. I love it!

This is definitely one of the scents that is perfectly named. You'd have to enjoy the *idea* of a perfume named Blood to enjoy it because it really evokes that. Vampiric is right.

At first I just got cherry cough syrup. After a few minutes I began to smell something earthy and something metallic in it.

It evoked, not the blood of a doctor's office or biology class, but the blood a hungry carnivore would crave - like a dark little poem on the idea of craving.

Eventually it faded into a pleasant fruitiness. Craving satisfied.

Note: our interns must think I'm completely looped - every time they pass my desk, I'm smelling my hand. :P

This is my second favorite Dragon's Blooded scent, the first being Bloodlust, of course. The two scents are like sisters: one raven haired and latex clad, sexy as hell and lethal in word and deed; the other a stunning blond in a tight red dress, deceptively sweet and tantalizingly seductive. To me, Blood is the latter sister.

I can see how the clove might turn sharp on some people, but thankfully, on my skin the spice just adds warmth to the overall scent, rounding it out and keeping it from getting too sweet. Gorgeous.

Hmm...might have to go for that large bottle afterall...:P

Edited by Morrighana

in the vial: Black cherry with a dark, evil, murky core. Alrighty, I already know I'm going to be obsessed with this one... :D

wet, on my skin: It turns a bit tangy and metallic once it hits my skin...this is just soooooo delecious. This really is the poetic romanticism of blood personified. This does, as grrrlennyl noted, smell like a darker version of Black Phoenix, which is probably my all time favorite BPAL oil. It's much more primal, a mix of earthy/fiery and sexual than Black Phoenix, though. Bright blood red, vital and powerful.

dry, on my skin: The faintest bit of tangy clove. It lasts for quite a while, which is wonderful because I really can't get enough of this wonderful scent. :P .

I've got Bloodlust coming my way...now I *really* can't wait to try it!!

Mmmm, I wanna nibble on my wrist right now. :P

In the vial, I definitely smell the cherry and clove, but on the second, third, and on up to the fifteenth sniffs, I get the dragon's blood and the myrrh. It's very thick, heavy, primal scent -- very decadent and sensual, and I can feel the spice in the back of my throat as I sniff.

On me, there's an instant, heady rush of pure cherry for about five minutes, then the clove overwhelms the cherry for about an hour. After the clove relaxes a little, I get the soft floral scent of the dragon's blood again, and the myrrh does a wonderful job of keeping it all grounded. I get a slight musk scent at the very bottom -- it might be a base note, or it might be the combination of my skin, the dragon's blood, and the myrrh.

I can see where this would be a very heavy, dark scent for most people to wear, but on me, it's a very soft, light fruity-musky-spice scent. I'm not sure if it's the name that's making me want to nibble on myself or what, but dude. I love it! It's a very close to the skin, light fragrance for me, and I can definitely see myself dressing up in something sexy and going out to hit the bars and be a very vampy chica -- which is completely not me at all. Hee!

I am newly in love!

In the vial it's really strong cherry that comes out. Once I put it on it's cherry and clove with the dragon's blood right behind it and as it dries down the myrrh deepens it. It's soft after about four hours. It's soft, dark spiced cherry. I sniffed my wrist through all three hours of my class tonight. I'm in love!

First Impression: Dragon's blood resin, sweet cloves and myrrh :P

Second Impression: Blood is an absolute must for anyone who likes dragon's blood resin. This is one of the best yet. It's sweet and spicy, dark and thick, juicy and dangerous.

Final Analysis: Keeper. Will be needing more.

Oooh... When I first dabbled it on, I got the smell of almonds as usual, which is I think my nose and Dragon's Blood. It stayed like that, thick and sweet and almondy for a while, but I just noticed wafts of something like Old Athens' honey. I don't get the cherry, but the cloves are there, dark and sweet and this is, on me, a wearable Old Athens, since I usually have to put that in an oil burner. Mmmm. Keeper.

I've had an imp of Blood of a while but it never smelled like much to me in the vial. Last night I decided to give it a try.

Once on, whoa this is very rich! Much more powerful once it dries on my skin. I wouldn't have suspected this from the understated scent in the vial. Initally there is a bit of metallic tang but after half an hour that fades. The Dragon's Blood is there but the clove and mhyrr give it a beautiful smokey sweetness. It reminds me of this Indian incense that I have (not Nag Champa...something else) It's a provacative, notice-me scent. I will definitely purchase a bigger bottle :P

Blood

Initial Impression

Smells good....sexy, in fact. At first there's a bit of clove cigarettes and that tang of cherry cough syrup, but then the after-smell becomes this spicy, smoky cherry scent...thick and sexual. Yum.

Wearing It

When I put it on my skin, the first thing to make itself known is the cloves. Really, the clove scent dominates the entire time, and it's delicious. Smells husky and smoky, just like clove cigarettes without the scent of the smoke itself. And the dragon's blood kicks in, smelling like spicy cherry resin, and then comes the cherries themselves. This is really the only part of the blend that disappoints me -- the cherries, like most fruit scents on my skin, half way disappear and half way go sickly sweet. But fortunately this is mostly clove and dragon's blood on me. And I'd forgotten that there was myrhh in here until I checked the ingredients, and I suddenly realized what that sweet, sensual smoky smell came from...

This is really a delicious perfume. I'm surprised more people don't rave about it. I admit that it was at the bottom of my wishlist, mainly because there are so many "blood" perfumes (blood rose, blood lotus, blood countess, blood everything) and because there are so many great dragon's blood blends to try. It just seemed like one of the other dragon's blood mixes. But the cloves and myrhh really bring this one to life, and I think that it's actually vying with Dragon's Heart as my fav. dragon's blood blend. I'm definitely going to be enjoying my imp of this, if not getting a larger bottle.

This is AMAZING! And I am in love. :P

In the bottle: cherry, clove, stg spicy yet sweet…dragon’s blood.

Wet: Cherry and clove. Smells like a spicy cherry lolipop. Now the dragon’s blood and myrrh come through to spice things up.

Drydown: The cherry fades into the background, leaving a lovely spicy sweet smell. This is pure seductive sensuality, blood in all it’s forms and guises, from metaphor for life to the actual liquid pulsing through veins. Sexy, dark, warm, dangerously sweet. I accidentally spilled some on my hand and it’s not too strong, even when puddled. In fact. It’s just heady and delicious. Does the lab make gallon sizes? Everything just blends exquistely and then each not floats langorously to the top for a few seconds and then fades back into perfectly blended bliss. It’s like coming up for air from a kiss so dark and dangerous that you have to hold on to keep from spinning off into space, and then plunging back in again.

Later: I was bound to like it because of the name alone, but I just LOVE this. It’s now gone from sultry to the bpal equivalent of a warm, comfy fluffy blanket. I fell asleep almost immediately after testing it and when I woke up this morning, I could still smell it. Lasted a good 12 hours, through hand washings and lotion applications. I am definitely getting a big bottle. :D

Clove. CLOVE! THAT*S what I*m smelling! Clove and something else...soapish? No, not a soapish smell. Clean-smelling. Can*t pinpoint which of the notes is tickling my nose. Maybe the myrrh.

Anyway. I think this was a freebie from somebody, b/c I don*t remember asking for it, but ooh, I like it. It*s not an extremely "me" scent - in fact, it turns very, VERY masculine on me - but it smells quite yummy.

I*m getting shivery feelings imagining this on my boy. Oh, the forfeit for trying an imp on him will be worth it...*grins*

Wow, this blend is extremely evocative. Almost too evocative. I don't know how to put this, but it smells . . . menstrual. :P

Very heavy, and kind of skin-sweet in the same way as Dragon's Blood and Dragon's Heart, but darker, and almost overwhelming. I felt dirty wearing this, like I needed to have a purifying bath.

An exquisitely blended oil, but very not "me."

what surprised me about blood is that i can't smell the dragon's blood unless i sniff really hard, which is a first with the dragon's blood blends!

in the vial: cherry and, hm, what's that smell? it seems really familar. what's th-- EGG NOG? WHAT THE FUCK? mk. let's put this up and try again later. on my second endeavor with blood, i get cherry and spicy cloves, which is a very lovely combination.

as it dries, it begins to get powdery, which i'll assume is the myrrh. it never fails to do that, really.

this is very sexy. it isn't evocative of blood, and that's a GOOD thing in my book.

this reminds me SO MUCH of the hippie/new age shop i used to go to with my mom! amazing. i hadn't smelled that in years and then whoosh! here it is, in a bottle. its a warm scent- i don't get much of the cherry (good thing, as it usually turns to cough syrup on me), but i do get sweet, and some mild spices. it doesn't remind me of blood, but of containers of crystals, velvet skirts, incense, tarot cards and wind chimes hanging in a sunny window.

I was all excited for this one...

In the bottle: Grape cold syrup, or grape candy, or any of those crazy artificial grape flavors. Which, I'm guessing, is how my nose reacts to the combination of dragon's blood and cherry.

On me/wet: Still smells like grape something. Grape Ape, Grape Ape!

Drydown: Within a couple of minutes, the grape candy smell goes away and is replaced by the Dragon's Blood. I can't pick up the clove, and I'm not entirely sure what myrrh smells like on its own. However, a subtle incensey feel is mixed with the Dragon's Blood.

An hour later: The Dragon's Blood and the spices have blended into a heady mix. I'm reminded of Tintagel without the potpourri feeling.

I think I like it...but I'm not entirely sure.

In the bottle: Spicy bubble gum! It sounds odd, but it's not bad at all. There's also just a bit of cherry, which is thankfully a fresh, juicy cherry rather than marachino or cough syrup.

Wearing: As soon as it hits the skin, the cherry comes right out, but in less than five seconds it's gone. I still smell the bubble gum and a kind of allspice smell (oddly, not clove). Then comes the lovely, lovely myrrh which adds a wonderful bitter element to it. Oh my, it's very bold, and pretty sexy. Later on the myrrh settles down with a slight touch of clove. I now smell a dry, hot sweetness, which has to be the dragon's blood. This soon settles on down into a relaxed, smoldering glow, which remains like a powerful beast sleeping. A great blend. I would like for the myrrh to stick around for the whole duration, but I still like it a lot.