Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Graveyard Dirt

... This is the scent of pure graveyard dust, spattered with grave loam and dusted lightly with tombstone moss.

Yes, this is definitely very spot-on. Smells EXACTLY like moist dirt. Unfortunately, that's not something I want to smell like. BLECH. Get it off!

So no, definitely not for me, but, once again, I'm stunned by Beth's blending abilities.

Okay, this is spooky -- definitely dirt, with an undertone of sandalwood. It's a bit lighter than I was expecting, but very true to life. I don't know how often I'll wear this, but it's realism intrigues me. I wonder if this would be a good room scent...

3.5/5

In the decant: Soil.Pure,dry and dirty soil.

On,wet:Ew,this one stings my nose.I get lots of loamy soil that's wet yet dry at the same time.It does give me the image of a tombstone somehow.

Later on:Hmmm,this has soften a bit,yet it still stings my nose.It does indeed smell like graveyard soil and I get a whiff of moss in the background.

Verdict:This is definately not a scent I'd wear.The soil note stings my nose and I don't think I wanna smell like dirt anymore. :P

Smells exactly like damp, mossy earth. Gorgeous. However... I'm not sure I'm going to want to smell like dirt that often. Let alone explain to other people why I smell like dirt. Erm, it's my perfume guys, really :P

I had doubts about Graveyard Dirt. But I am glad I took up the opportunity to pick up a decant. If you close your eyes... it's exactly what it sounds like. Peaceful and clean mossy dirt after it rains (I saw someone else said something about dirt after rain) It makes me wish I lived in a place that is undisturbed and clean of all human interaction. It's not dirty smelling at all.. no death smell.. just peaceful earth. For some reason.. I picture fairies prancing in a moss covered dirt floor forest. Very nice!!!

This is so simple yet so perfect--fresh, damp dirt! I love it. It doesn't last long on me at all, but I seriously doubt I'll be wearing this out and about anyway, so it's all good. One of those I-can't-believe-they-bottled it BPALs.

This is the 2008 version.

In the vial: Wet soil and organic decay, and it's actually rather vile.

On me: It goes on with that same disgusting strong rotting smell, and then dries down to ... nothing. Perhaps there's a ghost of dry soil, but I think I'm merely willing that scent. The boy confirms: the scent disappears immediately, as soon as it dries down.

Verdict: I'll retest later and hope this is a fluke of chemistry, but so far it's looking like I don't need to keep this if I can't smell it.

Edited by Juushika

Graveyard dirt is exactly that. To me, it recalls these 2 things EXACTLY:

1) Moss when you bend down real close and take a deep sniff,

2) Rotty, deep earthy soil.

It's not a scent that mimicks or approximates these things; it is them, exactly.

As has been said before, it's like smearing deep, rich, intoxicating earth over one's sleeves, indeed like burying oneself.

xo

My package with GD08 arrived today...

as I own a bottle of GD04 I had to compare them side-to-side.

Maybe its the aging,

but GD04 is deeper, darker and "dirty-er" dirt then GD08.

GD08 smells spot on - of course - like earth,soil and loam.

But like ..uhmm... dirt, that has been dried a little in the sun after kids building mud-cakes,

a little mushroom-y even and not evil and grave-y.

GD04 is GRAVE, its wet and old and hasn´t seen any sunlight for a looooong time

(literally - I keep it in my ULTRA*RARE*super*save monster box! ) but also the smell..

its deeper, richer and it´s more creepy.

Maybe aging brings 08 closer to 04.

Nontheless I LOVE em on skin - both.

Its earth and a bit of grass/leaves/dried flowers at first, and then turns into pure

sweetness of laying in a maddow and your head resting on the floor -

near the earth,grass around you and with a nose full of dirt... :P

This one is a masterpiece - I love it.

I've hesitated doing a review for this because there's not much more that I can say, other than "it smells like dirt", original, huh? Yup, it's a rich potting soil blend, with a slight turn of mould, the kind you'd get when you were a kid and you'd leave a banana in the bottom of your school bag for a month. As for it's wearability, I could imagine on the right chemistry, it would be a nice loamy, deep scent, but on me, it's really not wearable. Although, having said this, I don't want to part with my bottle, as the novelty factor here is high.

I must have strange olfactory experience of the world because all I can smell in the imp are mushrooms. Fresh mushrooms, damp fresh mushrooms, but it also smells like a plate of a perfect mushroom soup. it's THE mushroom scent. On skin - dirt. Love it. Not as a perfume, but just to sniff. like, all the time.

My boyfriend stole my imp. 'nough said. Need a bottle.

Edited by Kosyena

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Wet, loamy soil. Uncannily accurate. Wears off super quick on me; after one hour, there's almost nothing left.

I will use this as a layering oil or for protection, binding, and maybe even a little love magick (I will see what it does when layered with some of my amorous blends). I can't imagine wearing this alone.

I am going to search the forums for ideas on how to use GD :P

08GD- This on wet smells like the turnips we dig out of our garden in fall time. like everyone has said it smells like dirt. duh.

i like this to layer with some of my rose scents. yummy.

clean, damp soil and moss. :P i am astonished at how much i like graveyard dirt. i seriously am contemplating a second bottle. it's such a clean, earthy, all-around good kind of scent.

This one is not strong at all. Really subtle; it does have that dirt scent to it. It's got a leafy note to it, and some spices, now more spicy than dirty.

A lot of people really seem to hate vetiver. So much so that they do it in, sleep with its spouse, collect on its insurance policy, and weep crocodile tears at its funeral.

Fortunately, the vetiver burial ground has been excavated for the new incarnation of Graveyard Dirt. Being a both vetiver and dirt lover I could wear this in my hair, roll in it, rub it on my feet and under my fingernails, concoct hexes just for the fun of it, etc. etc.

So glad that this was resurrected!! Vive the dirty minded.

Well, this smells exactly like dirt. It actually reminds me of gardening soil more than anything else. I originally considered ordering a bottle of this, because I loved the name and the concept. I'm so glad I went with the decant instead. I can't imagine I would want to smell like this often, and even if I did, the scent wears off on me very quickly. It is an amazing work of art though. I'm glad I have the imp, just because it's a really cool concept. Maybe I'll try layering it with other scents. :P

:P

Beth is a GENIUS!

Dirt...nothing more, nothing less. Just what I expected. AMAZING!

My wife and I occasionally dress up as zombies, and this would be the one for me, and Zombi for her.

I have a partial bottle of the original Graveyard Dirt and a bottle of 2008. The original Graveyard Dirt is amazing on me - and is quite a departure from what I normally wear. It's a warm, earthy, gardening soil type smell when I first apply it; however, my skin warms it until about thirty minutes later - it turns into almost a bitter earthy chocolate on me. I have no idea why my skin does this - but not complaining this time! It fades super quickly though :P

The newer version is much sharper and pungent and is still a little strong for me compared to the original - I intend (if budget allows) to put two bottles away for aging.

This is about the 2008 version...it's smells like wet, cold dirt...damp from a tangy, ozoney rain. It's such a realistic smell that I'm looking for a towel and shivering! So cold, so dirty, and so beautiful. I couldn't wear this often, but it's very evocative.

this is for the 2008 batch.

in the bottle: very. moldy. dirt. :P

wet on skin: yep- that's moldy dirt, alright! :D

dry down: ok, the mold part has toned down a bit (whew!) and it's become more straight up rich black soil, like freshly tilled in a midnight summer garden. that's the kind of rich i'm speaking of. beautiful!

in all: more of a "single note" in my mind than a blend, i personally wanted a bottle to mix with other oils that are perhaps too sweet or too simple on their own. but make no mistake- Graveyard Dirt is a treasure all on it's own.

:D

So very evocative, just like being outside digging in a garden, but unfortunately it lasts all of fifteen minutes and is gone completely. I will keep my imp, but I think that is enough for me.