Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

What to do when oil gets in a child's eye?

I've flushed it, dr says call poison control & read the label...no list of ingredients. I've emailed the lab already.

Any ideas????

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Keep flushing the eye with fresh water/saline and I would let Poison Control know what type of ingredients that might be in it- essential oils.

OUCH!

Flushing was the best thing to do, quick thinking! In the mean time, tell poison control it was a perfume oil. See if they have any further suggestions?

Cheshire Cat has.... Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender, listed as ingredients.

Lots of hugs for both of you.

Edited by Finny

Oh gosh - hope everything is OK! Poor Sofie. I feel bad b/c I think that's one of the imps I sent her for being such a good helper with the fund-raiser. :P Please let us know how she's doing... hope the "trauma" is the worst part of it. And I will decant a new imp and send it if it got spilled, if she still wants some after all this... Hugs...

I don't think there should be any issues (knowing that there's just essential oils in it), if the flushing was done for a long enough period of time. In any case, good luck, and I hope the experience hasn't put Sofie off BPAL!

I got Embalming Fluid in my eye and, after washing it out, it's still fine. Her eyes are probably more sensitive and mine have glass sheilding. I hope she's okay.

The doctor say's she's ok; just very upset & her eyes are really red. She was a brave girl & let the eye doctor put drops in her eyes (which she would never allow before).

No damage to her eye, thank goodness.

Poor girl, she gets herself even more upset. Imagine an 8 year old (our sleepover guest) & my 7 year old screaming at the top of their lungs: "Am I going to die?" Sofie tends to be, how shall we say, "dramatic". Not that this wasn't a valid concern but I had to get the girls to calm down, so I could find out what happened. It scared her, me too. I still think she & Miranda were jumping on the trundle bed when this happened.

Finney, thanks for the list of ingredients for Cheshire Cat. I printed the post & took it with me to the doctor.

Thanks everyone, especially Beth, Anthony & Kennedy!

The doctor say's she's ok; just very upset & her eyes are really red.  She was a brave girl & let the eye doctor put drops in her eyes (which she would never allow before). 

No damage to her eye, thank goodness.

Poor girl, she gets herself even more upset.  Imagine an 8 year old (our sleepover guest) & my 7 year old screaming at the top of their lungs:  "Am I going to die?"  Sofie tends to be, how shall we say, "dramatic".  Not that this wasn't a valid concern but I had to get the girls to calm down, so I could find out what happened.  It scared her, me too.  I still think she & Miranda were jumping on the trundle bed when this happened.

Finney, thanks for the list of ingredients for Cheshire Cat.  I printed the post & took it with me to the doctor.

Thanks everyone, especially Beth, Anthony & Kennedy!

You are very welcome. I'm so glad she is okay. :P

I can actually hear the scene perfectly, only at our house it was the Windex that her brother was curious about, she was also 7 at the time. Your daughter isn't a Leo by any chance, is she? My dear daughter is, and boy, she sure can roar. :D

I am also pretty sure you are completely right about the jumping on the trundle bed, though it was more likely they were jumping from trundle to bed. :D

Hey Finny are our kids related?

Sofie's not a Leo but she does have Leo rising. She's a cusp kid, 9/21.

Even though this happened a while ago, my girl is definitely "off" perfume. She loves her Villaness Gingersnapped Smooch but won't wear any of her BPAL. Even when I open an Imp, I can tell she's nervous. She will still ask me, "Is my eye red?"

I hope she gets over this. The girls' got a great "nose" & I loved sharing perfume with her. :D

My sensitive little artist... :P

Hey Finny are our kids related?

Sofie's not a Leo but she does have Leo rising.  She's a cusp kid, 9/21.

Even though this happened a while ago, my girl is definitely "off" perfume.  She loves her Villaness Gingersnapped Smooch but won't wear any of her BPAL.  Even when I open an Imp, I can tell she's nervous.  She will still ask me, "Is my eye red?"

I hope she gets over this. The girls' got a great "nose" & I loved sharing perfume with her.  :P

My sensitive little artist... :D

I think in the fact that they are both female children, definately related. :D My Lucy, is 7/28, Leo through and through. She can roar loudly.

Here, it is my youngest son who is into the perfume oils. He loves the Dragon's Blood blends, he has a whole row in the imp chest. Today he wore Dragon's Hide, then went out to slay dragons with his sword. The stump will never be the same. :D

Maybe reminding her that the imp won't hurt her, if she isn't trying to do olympic style trundle bed jumping would help? Hopefully the nervousness will wear off soon and she can get back to enjoying perfume. :D

Ouch! Been there, done that times TWO w/the three year old! From her piercing screams, I'm guessing it hurts badly... Both times she did it, I threw her in the tub, soaped her up to break down the oil, and then ENCOURAGED her crying to flush her eyes... Poor muffins! It's very sad, and her last 5ml spill was my SAMHAIN! Ugh. Anyway, she picks up a bottle now and says, "Just for skin, not for eyes, right Mama!?!?!" LOL

I hope she gets over this. The girls' got a great "nose" & I loved sharing perfume with her.  :D

My sensitive little artist... :P

Maybe it would be worth it to invest in some rollerball ummmm...thinger-jiggers can't think of the name. Ummm...like the ones about 2/3rds of the way down this page and transfer some oil into those for her to use the the spillage factor is reduced to practically zero and hopefully the only way she can get any in her eye if is she rolls the applicator directly on it. Maybe that'll get her back into BPAL until she feels comfortable with the imps and bottles again.

Though those might be a little impractical for just a single imp, but for the bottles it would definitely work.

Y'know, I'm glad that somebody has done this besides ME.

*is renown as a klutz and was opening an imp, went and quickly got contacts out and has been rinsing it out and trying feverishly not to panic*

Although truth be told the resolve cleaner i got in it once was probably worse, and i certainly lived through it with sight as intact as it ever was.

Keep flushing the eye with fresh water/saline and I would let Poison Control know what type of ingredients that might be in it- essential oils.

This reminded me of the time my son poured an entire, large (like maybe an ounce) bottle of Virginia cedar essential oil in the bathtub. I was worried about the possibility for skin sensitization or rashes, so I called Poison Control.

For something like 5 minutes I tried to explain to them what he had poured into the bath, with me going "It's essential oil of Juniperus virginiana" and them going "Yes, but what's in it?" :rolleyes:

Edited by odalisque