Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Impish One

Are bpal blends all-natural?

I've never heard of attars before, but I agree that there must be some kind of carrier oil in the blends. Apart from lavender and tea tree oil, EO are way to strong to be directly applied to the skin. And since Beth is using 'bouquets' to recreate certain scnets, I think pure EO would be much too potent for such a subtle undertaking.

I would think that if BPALs were 100% EOs with no carriar oil, a) they would be far, FAR stronger and :P Beth would have put a nice obvious "Caution" on the faqs page, about applying EOs to bare skin undiluted, yada yada

I was just in Barneys and the lady at the L'Artisan counter was saying how the scent of Mimosa in one of their perfumes is recreated through "bouquets" (instead of using a synthetic) so I guess it can be done! :D I doubted! Then again, it does seem like doing something akin to mixing together orange, blue, and pink to make...urm...beige? :D *knows nothing about blending bouquets, obviously :D *

I have to agree.

First off, as several people have pointed out, the least you really need to worry about if you actually apply a highly concentrated essential oil to your skin is whether you get a red mark on it. There can be some SERIOUS side-effects.

Secondly, there'd have to be all sorts of cautionary notes to avoid a law suit. There's way too many adverse effects to applying undiluted oil to your skin -- cinnamon, wintergreen, citrus, and vanilla being just a few that are big no-no's.

There's also just the truth that almost any undiluted blend would smell really strong and vile if you applied it to your skin. Some of the "prettiest" smelling oils like vanilla and carnation are just awful if you smell them undiluted.

Several notes also just don't exist in essential oil form that are listed. Gardenia seems to be the classic example people cite where it doesn't have a true essential oil, but it is created through the use of bouqets. Another good example would be some of the poppy blends, since it is illegal to even have poppies (with the exception of the loosely related California Poppy,) in the United States, let alone try to make an oil out of one.

People have also mentioned price -- some of the oils Beth uses like agarwood, narcissus, and osmanthus are incredibly high in cost, and there's no way they could be used in a blend at $12.50 a bottle unless they were very strongly diluted.

All that being said, there is a round-about caveat to all this. You have to consider how strong the essential oil being blended is in the first place. While the oil bought in stores is created in a rather complicated, elaborate, and mechanized process, people have been known to create their own oils. This is simply a process of taking an oil, like coconut oil, and daily adding components to it (like orange peel) until it begins to take on the scent of your desired component. (If you're interested in this process in full, it should be easy to find using google, I've done it before!) It is, ofcourse, much weaker than a store bought oil.

If you mixed oils with a base of one of these "home-made" essentials and simply added other, stronger essential oils to it, you would, technically, be using "undiluted" essential oils. In practice, though, your oil would still have a very high carrier oil content, making it safe to use on the skin.

PS: A lot of bouqets are simply stand-ins with a note or two to help round them out. For instance, as with the mimosa oil described above, while there really IS such a thing as mimosa essential oil it's VERY grainy and difficult to blend with so perfumers will often reach for an easier-to-blend similarly-scentedoil like cassie or orris root. Then, since Mimosa is sweeter than either of those, the perfumer uses some surrounding notes to sweeten it up.

Being the curious little puppy that I am, I went on the hunt in for some scientific articles/journals with EO research.

After searching for about an hour through blackwell synergyonline (yay! for University libraries and free student access) I came across ONE article on the potential toxicity of *pure, undiluted* EO's.

The article was on Lavender, long thought to be "Safe" for pure, undiluted application and thought to be one of the more "gentle" oils...yet this research proved otherwise... they did research on just the effects of lavender oil on skin cells (not blood, liver, or fatty tissues) and found that the oil actually caused a 50% inhibition in cell growth.(relatively speaking of course) I have a PDF file of the full article if anyone is interested.

I'm not trying to naysay anyone,...just putting it out there that just because EO's are "natural" doesn't make them safe and just because you can't *see* any effects, doesn't mean they aren't there.

It just worries me when I hear of people applying pure EO's to their skin is all.

And it furthers the idea that Beths blends aren't pure EO's..to me at least. Like loveandprozak (great handle btw!!) said, if they were pure, they would be incredibly strong, too strong for perfume.

ETA: re: the person who said tea tree oil is safe to be applied pure... that is also an iffy situation. At the very least, I know tea tree oil is toxic to cats... I say this because I know many people like to try more natural remedies for their animals, and while tea tree oil is an antibiotic, it's toxic to cats, and a respiratory irritant to rats. just FWIW

Edited by HonorAlexandria

HA, it's funny, I just came across something about tea tree oil and cats today in a review of an aromatherapy book on Amazon. The reviewer noted that several recipes for animals were a bad idea and this is because of the way the cat liver operates--it can't break down certain toxins the way the human liver can, so a cat could be severely sickened by application of oils that would not be a problem for a human. I can't remember if dogs also had this difficulty.

So, in this case I think there is a physiological difference between felines and humans. On the other hand, I absolutely believe, as you say, that one should be very careful with EOs. I just put a book on my wishlist that is specifically on the topic of EOs and safety, so I am betting that Beth probably has a few similar titles on her shelves.

I have been involved in aromatherapy and education of AT since 1989 and some of the information sited here is accurate and some is not entirely accurate. I have also utilized various essential oils both in product development and in my skincare practice for over 18 years and I can say from experience that a terpene alcohol such as melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) can be applied neat to the skin with no adverse effects. I won't comment on applying to animals or cats in particular - that is not my area of expertise.

Aromatherapy philosophy is still a hot potato in many circles - when & how one uses essential oils vary immensely from country to country.

Because it is also equally important that you know who you are buying from, I add that a responsible company selling essential oils to the public should give you the botanical name and chemotype of the eo you are purchasing. Knowledge is power.

Essential oil research is varied and continues to draw inconclusive results....Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D. has written some intruguing and challenging books on aromatherapy and essential oil application....one is Medical Aromatherapy - Healing with Essential Oils. Daniel Penoel, MD is also well known in the AT circles for utilizing eo's in his practice with remarkbale results and has written a book detailing his experience.

If you are curious a good reference book is Essential Oil Safety - A Guide for Health Care Professionals, by Tony Balzacs and Robert Tisserand. However, in my experience, one of the best reference books on eo usage (although it is specifically medical AND in French) is entitled l'aromatherapie exactement by Pierre Franchomme and Daniel Penoel, MD.

Fragrance is a whole other topic when using essential oils primarily because eo's are not the only material you use. The palette broadens to include such exotics as attars (where sandalwood oil becomes the carrier), concretes, absolutes, extracts, resins, infusions, isolates and CO2 extractions.... There are many great sites for researching fragrance materials but the best book for description of fragrances is: Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin by Steffen Arctander.....oy.

edited for spelling - i am a total idiot when i t comes to spelling

Edited by fragrantgrasse

Hey, that's the safety/EO book I mentioned above. I also came across a number of the Schnaubelt books. The Arctander book, I believe, is out of print--unfortunately.

There are many great sites for researching fragrance materials but the best book for description of fragrances is: Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin by Steffen Arctander.....oy.

Thank you so much, your post was very informative. I'm going to go try and find that book now, since I've been wanting reading material on this stuff for some time. I'm going to try a bunch of the other books you recommended too! Thanks again. :P

I just wanted to say that I have both of Kurt Schnaubelt's books and I've found them extremely useful and helpful. I highly recommend them...

Good News! :P

Arctander's book was out of print and then Allured Publishers re-issued it about 10 years ago or so and you can get it through them...The stumbling block is you will have to dip into your life savings to purchase it....the price was at least 300 dollars when I got it.

I don't remember *exactly* how much it was because I blocked the price right out of my mind. It's a technique I use, much to my husband's chagrin, when I buy something waaaay out of my price range...:D

ISBN O-931710-36-7

Allured Publishers

362 South Schmale Rd.

Carol Stream, IL. 60188

708-653-2155

Edited by fragrantgrasse

Yes, I think one Arctander book on eBay was $500 and the other was $750! I have great curiosity in perfumes, but I have to admit there are many other things I would buy first if I were to blow a chunk of change that size! (I don't understand why they don't just reprint books again when they get so pricey--clearly there is a demand!)

Are the oils safe to put straight on to the skin then?

BPAL oils are skin safe for the general population, and are designed to be worn as perfumes - i.e., on the skin. Obviously, if you have any particular sensitivities, you should show additional caution in selecting the oils you apply, and the allergies and skin reactions topic may be helpful in that regard.

Are the oils safe to put straight on to the skin then?

Do you mean essential oils or the BPAL perfumes? :P Because BPAL perfumes are safe to put on skin (obviously, they're perfume). Some people are sensitive to certain "notes" that appear, for example, I avoid carnation because it gives me a headache, but the perfumes themselves are fine for direct application to the skin.

There is a thread here about reactions to oils/notes.

As for essential oils, some can be applied to the skin directly, and some shouldn't be applied to skin (check the rest of this thread for opinions/details). However, although the Lab's perfumes are made from essential oils, they are made in such a way that they are safe for application to the skin.

Hope this helps, and welcome :D

Thanks, I meant the BPAL. I wasn't sure if they need diluting or not. I'm a complete and utter BPAL novice so I think I may need some hand holding!

Thank you for the welcome too. :P

That's alright, we were all new once :D of course, you can dilute the blends using carrier oils (Jojoba, coconut etc) if you wish - I use a few drops of Chimera in Jojoba oil as a post-shower smoothie for my skin sometimes. But for simple perfume use, generally, no dilution needed :D

See you around the forums, and glad to see another Brit :P

Good News! :P

Arctander's book was out of print and then Allured Publishers re-issued it about 10 years ago or so and you can get it through them...The stumbling block is you will have to dip into your life savings to purchase it....the price was at least 300 dollars when I got it.

ISBN O-931710-36-7

Allured Publishers

362 South Schmale Rd.

Carol Stream, IL. 60188

708-653-2155

Just wanted to add the publisher's Web site info, and note that all of Arctander's books are now available on CD-ROM for easy searching. At a price, of course.

Hey all,

I came across something that didn't make sense to me today, and it made me think of this thread.

I'm reading Essence and Alchemy by Mandy Aftel (based on a recommendation from this forum!), published in 2001, and I came across this passage:

"... it is a telltale sign that a perfume is made from synthetics if it contains any of the following flowers, because they cannot be rendered naturally: freesia, honeysuckle, violet, tulip, lily, gardenia, heliotrope, orchid, lilac, and lily of the valley."

Now, I know that I have seen (and have!) some BPAL scents with those notes in them; do BPAL oils have synthetic components? (Whatever they're made of, I love `em!) Or is this just a case of perfume technology catching up in the six intervening years?

It's more a case of creating "bouquets", a combination of scent notes that smell like a certain thing without actually coming from it. Like, there isn't really a cake essential oil. :P AFAIK, there are no synthetics in BPAL.

It's more a case of creating "bouquets", a combination of scent notes that smell like a certain thing without actually coming from it. Like, there isn't really a cake essential oil. :D AFAIK, there are no synthetics in BPAL.

:P That cracked me up.

But yeah, this question comes up every so often and the answer is always the same--bouquets made from other essential oils that, combined, smell like lily of the valley or cake or musk/ civet/ ambergris (because our Beth wouldn't contribute to or encourage animal cruelty, 'cause she's cool like that).

It's more a case of creating "bouquets", a combination of scent notes that smell like a certain thing without actually coming from it. Like, there isn't really a cake essential oil. :D AFAIK, there are no synthetics in BPAL.

:P That cracked me up.

But yeah, this question comes up every so often and the answer is always the same--bouquets made from other essential oils that, combined, smell like lily of the valley or cake or musk/ civet/ ambergris (because our Beth wouldn't contribute to or encourage animal cruelty, 'cause she's cool like that).

Thanks! That makes sense.

This discussion of whether BPAL uses any synthetics does come up now and again, and it never quite gets resolved for me. I'd love it if BPAL used no synthetics, but from what I've learned about natural perfumery, the oils would have a much shorter lasting time if they were truly all natural. I have a lot of perfumes from natural perfumers who very specifically use no synthetics and they smell different (I like them a lot, but I have to say I like BPAL much more) and the naturals are much more expensive because the completely natural ingredients cost more. To me, there's a place for both naturals and synthetics, and I believe they create different sorts of scents. To my admittedly amateur nose, BPAL smells like it includes synthetics. I don't mind that, but I'd love to know if they were all-natural. Can anyone point me to where Beth or the labbies state that BPAL uses no synthetics? I guess I'm just wondering if it's "urban legend." I mean no disrespect with any of this, so I hope none is taken. I know discussions in the past have gotten a bit heated about it. I'm just trying to find the information. I adore my BPAL and Beth and the wonderful labbies!

This discussion I believe is covered in the FAQs.

Also, it's not appropriate for the Botany thread, where we discuss the botanicals of BPAL specifically - what their latin names are, where they are found, their properties, the environments in which they grow, etc.

I am going to ask the mods to split this off from this thread. Thanks.

N.

Did anyone ever hear an official response to the original question? (and I don't mean just quoting the website) I know a lot of places say CO2s should never be applied directly to the skin either and the absolutes are more concentrated even if they aren't real EOs. Of course I'm not saying that BPAL is cheap at all (on the contrary, Beth is a olfactory genius!), I too am just concerned about putting undiluted oils on my skin. I also am concerned because some are really bad for children and elderly such as eucalyptus (which is one note I really like). I totally understand keeping the blends a secret, and I honestly don't care whether or not it's synthetic, my only concern is how diluted the oils are. I did read the entire topic here and the question never really got answered concretely. :P

I hate to beat a dead horse and all, I am just wondering if anyone ever got an official response to this question rather than speculation (however educated it may be).

I'm assuming it's safe, but honestly long term effects of things are often difficult to tell and can take years. I think I'm a slatherer (my skin is eating up the few I have, heh!) and it's something that concerns me. I'm not saying "ZOMG I can never use these!" But it really would put my mind at ease to know someone got an official response to the inquiry. :D