Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Impish One

Are bpal blends all-natural?

Excuse if I am just stating the obvious here, but if Beth's blends have a concentration of 85% - 100% doesn't that already state that not all of them are pure essential oils?!

Excuse if I am just stating the obvious here, but if Beth's blends have a concentration of 85% - 100% doesn't that already state that not all of them are pure essential oils?!

Based on what Morrighana said (and what the website says), I'm guessing that this is precisely a concentration issue - some of them probably have some kind of diluting carrier oil (and I'd guess the ones with cinnamon, or other highly reactive oils, or costlier oils) rather than using synthetic fragrances.

I know that a place that used to exist around here and which carried pure essential oils would dilute the costlier ones, rather than using synthetics - so you'd get 1/10 jasmine instead of 100% pure jasmine. The other 90% wasn't synthetic, it was a carrier oil. I'm guessing this is true of the mysterious 15% in some of Beth's blends.

But this is just a guess :P.

I think the issue is that it seems like none of them can be all essential oils; putting the synthetics qustion aside, I've always heard said (in aromatherapy books, perfume-making books, on essential oil bottle labels) that EOs should not be applied directly to the skin--any EO. There is also the factor of strength--BPALs may seem strong, but none of the ones I've sniffed are anywhere near the intensity of the pure EOs I've sniffed.

Now, this might just be a general liability thing. It might be that there are oils that *technically* are skin-safe, and that Beth is not diluting the ones that are. If there are blends that are 100% EOs (although I would *think* that most of the blends have at least *some* carrier oil), I would think those would be the ones without strong-smelling EOs, and whose EOs Beth knew to be perfectly (or at least, very genreally) benign.

I don't think that BPALs aren't skin safe :P

But I do tink that most of the blends probably fall closer to the 85% range than the 100% range.

Dilution isn't *bad.* Dilution is a *necessary* process. Dilution oil is not necessarily filler, and the dilution oil that I think is in most BPALs to some degree or another is *certainly* not filler. It's there so we don't get reactions or end up smelling like pine or ceder or goodness knows what else for 3 days running =)

What about attars? Attars are created by hydro-distilling various flowers, roots, herbs, resins and spices into an oil base, typically pure sandalwood oil. It seems Beth might be doing something like this. Attars are considered 100% pure perfume oil, although some would argue that they are a blend of essential oils (from the distillation) and the base oil. But attars are very different (and much stronger and longer lasting) than essential oils blended with a carrier oil.

ETA: This site has a good description of the process of making attars.

Edited by ChupaChup

I've never heard of attars before, but I agree that there must be some kind of carrier oil in the blends. Apart from lavender and tea tree oil, EO are way to strong to be directly applied to the skin. And since Beth is using 'bouquets' to recreate certain scnets, I think pure EO would be much too potent for such a subtle undertaking.

I've never heard of attars before, but I agree that there must be some kind of carrier oil in the blends. Apart from lavender and tea tree oil, EO are way to strong to be directly applied to the skin. And since Beth is using 'bouquets' to recreate certain scnets, I think pure EO would be much too potent for such a subtle undertaking.

I would think that if BPALs were 100% EOs with no carriar oil, a) they would be far, FAR stronger and :P Beth would have put a nice obvious "Caution" on the faqs page, about applying EOs to bare skin undiluted, yada yada

I was just in Barneys and the lady at the L'Artisan counter was saying how the scent of Mimosa in one of their perfumes is recreated through "bouquets" (instead of using a synthetic) so I guess it can be done! :D I doubted! Then again, it does seem like doing something akin to mixing together orange, blue, and pink to make...urm...beige? :D *knows nothing about blending bouquets, obviously :D *

this thread raises interesting questions, though for my mind most of them (serious allergy problems aside) are already answered on the lab's web page. I do think these are primarily essential oils, and I've put any number of essential oils directly on my skin without any ill-effects. I agree with the earlier poster who said it depends on how sensitive your skin is. In my case, even some of the stronger EO's like cinnamon don't bother me at all.

And most BPAL scents do last quite a long time....hence the appeal in my mind.

But I also agree to a certain curiosity about this--is there a carrier oil in some blends or not? I don't need to know, but am curious.

I read this thread earlier and just came back to it today. I don't know any of beth's secrets but i would absolutely think that yes, there is a bit of carrier oil in her blends. Almost would have to be in order for it to be saleable as an oil you can wear. Also, I would have no expectation that her oils are all essential. I would bet they are a combination of high quality essential oils, resins, and the like and often bet that they even include fragrance oils. Nothing wrong with this. Many oils must be created from other oils or synthetics to mimic a particular fragrance from nature as some of you have stated. In fact, most musks etc. are not actual musks, they are synthetic. That's how it works. Anything a perfumer uses must be skin safe and from smelling Beth's oils she is obtaining a very high quality of whatever she uses. The girl has the best nose ever!

I was happy to see a small caption somewhere on the Lab site which said "All BPAL oils are tested on Beth". That's where they should be tested (or some other human). Goodness, we are going to wear them on human skin, right? Hell, I would sign up for that job in a second, "BPAL tester". :P :D :D

I believe, in my earnest but somewhat ignorant way, that dilution of certain oils is necessary. You do know that the vinegar we use is salad is diluted, right? Otherwise you would burn the inside of your mouth and throat from the acid. I knew someone who did this with Key Lime juice, so there are things we put on or in ourselves that really can be caustic without proper handling.

Also, there are some things which have the consistency of tar unless they are dissolved in something. Oak moss is one of them. Just like molasses in January, thick and very dark brown, not to mention potent smelling. You would Have to dilute that to work with it at all.

So which scents are 100% ??? I have emailed the same question a few weeks ago but have not had a reply. I do love bpal but would like to know which are 100% EO and 100% natural, please.

Lucy x

So which scents are 100% ??? I have emailed the same question a few weeks ago but have not had a reply. I do love bpal but would like to know which are 100% EO and 100% natural, please.

Lucy x

I bet it is pretty hard for the Lab to get you a response to this, as there are *so* many scents and new ones are constantly being added. Add to that the fact that they would pretty much have to already have the oils split into these categories somewhere to give you an answer. They are so busy that I just have a feeling that nobody has the time to categorize 400 some (I think?) current oils.

The catalog is probably simply too huge to do this. :D

Sorry, as I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Maybe somebody else has a more satisfying answer! :P

I can answer part of that: it's ALL 100% natural. The Lab uses no synthetics.

As for 100% essential oils? They've never made any such claim. The web site states that all blends are 85-100% pure perfume oil, and made from plant-derrived oils.

I can answer part of that: it's ALL 100% natural. The Lab uses no synthetics.

As for 100% essential oils? They've never made any such claim. The web site states that all blends are 85-100% pure perfume oil, and made from plant-derrived oils.

Many natural oils are not essential oils--many are absolutes, concretes, etc :P

The term "perfume oil" can mean many different things, depending on who's using it. It can mean naturals, synthetics, etc, but it seems like Beth is saying perfume oil instead of essential oil because she might use stuff like concretes and absolutes and natural essences that aren't essential oils.

I know this keeps coming up :D but does Beth use, say, jojoba oil in any of the blends? Some oils/resins are of such high odor intensity that their true odor only comes out in dilution (I remember mixing some EOs/absolutes together according to a recipe and being terribly dissapointed when the pungent odor that greated my nostrils smelled muddled and overpowering. But when I diluted it in carrier oil--jojoba, as it's the best and really moisturizing--the characteristic odor of frankisence and other essences I had mixed--became a lot aparent, clearer, and prettier :D)

the cat description doesn't say that they are, so personally, i wouldn't assume that they were.

the cat description doesn't say that they are, so personally, i wouldn't assume that they were.

:P

Best not to assume anything about exact composition.

However, as we all know, Beth has a great deal of experiance in the field and makes her oils as high-quality as she can afford (ie, she proly can't use pure agarwood oil because she wouldn't be able to sell us a blend with it in it without loosing a ton of $!), and I'm sure that her panacea blends would pass the test of any aromatherapist :D

Now I am not trying to figure this out to make my own stuff, or even to duplicate these wonderful scents and sell. I havent even had a wiff of my own scents that are on coming soon hopefully (That is not a hint!). What I am curious in is how they blend them using the actuall plants. I have always been into the old herb magic and using the mortar and all that so I guess what I am trying to get at is How is it that they make those beautiful scents? Do you use the mortar or something else?

And How do you do? (Thats to everyone lol)

I know from various incense blending books that some scents can be recreated by using a "bouquet", a blend of several different oils. Musk, civet and ambergris are 3 that i can think of off the top of my head.

I just read this entire thread because I was wondering the same thing as many of you: if they are undiluted (or even high concentration) essential oils, then why is okay to put them directly on the skin? Because, like a lot of other people, I've always read that you really shouldn't put them directly on your skin (although I've never had a problem doing it anyway). Just to clarify, I don't doubt that they are completely safe, I just don't understand why that is.

I don't have any weird allergies and I don't care if something is synthetic and I don't need to know, but I wish there was an official response on this just to satisfy my curiousity. :P

So all we can figure is that...

1. Some blends might be partially diluted in carrier oil.

2. There are non-synthetics that aren't essential oils, like attars and absolutes and all that jazz. This could be one reason they're not "100% oil," or one reason why they're safe to apply directly to skin, or both.

Did I get that right? Am I missing something? I'm a little confused. :D

So all we can figure is that...

1. Some blends might be partially diluted in carrier oil.

2. There are non-synthetics that aren't essential oils, like attars and absolutes and all that jazz. This could be one reason they're not "100% oil," or one reason why they're safe to apply directly to skin, or both.

Did I get that right? Am I missing something? I'm a little confused. :P

To add to your confusion and mine, if you go to the "FAQ"section on the BPAL website it states that Elizabeth uses PERFUME oils that are more highly concentrated than regular perfumers oils. I though that using such a pure "perfume" oil was extremely expensive. (Like $100 an oz. expensive.) I had also read somewhere that true high quality EO's were EXTREMELY spendy. It has always been my understanding that Perfume Oils and Essential OIls were two different things. Can anyone weigh in on this?

I've put any number of essential oils directly on my skin without any ill-effects.

Nattie quoted this and someone else mentioned it earlier.

Just wanted to mention that negative effects of applying pure EO's to the skin may not be immediately or readily apparent...but rather, it is a cumulative build-up effect which can prove toxic to the body in other forms: later liver, blood damage, later occuring allergies etc.

Just wanted to let you know, that it may not seem to have negative effects immediately, doesn't mean they aren't affecting you internally....and like I said, it's mostly a cumulative effect.

Just my .02.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by HonorAlexandria

I've put any number of essential oils directly on my skin without any ill-effects.

Just wanted to mention that negative effects of applying pure EO's to the skin may not be immediately or readily apparent...but rather, it is a cumulative build-up effect which can prove toxic to the body in other forms: later liver, blood damage, later occuring allergies etc.

Just wanted to let you know, that it may not seem to have negative effects immediately, doesn't mean they aren't affecting you internally....and like I said, it's mostly a cumulative effect.

Then I really would like an official answer on this... :-/

Then I really would like an official answer on this... :-/

Me too... but I'm pretty confident in Beth's abilities to do research into her products. I think alot of people here have been confusing EO's with synthetics and that's not the issue. We know she only uses natural oils, but the question is whether the BPAL perfume oils are pure, undiluted oils or scented extracts with some dilution.

Part of the problem regarding EO's is that there is little, if any actual long term official research done on the effects of straight, applied EO's on the body...research which examines the micro aspects (blood, liver,etc) as well as the macro (potential obvious physical side effects)