Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Impish One

Are bpal blends all-natural?

Thanks for posting that info, jayne.

The way I'm seeing this is that Beth & co use components that are 'natural' whenever possible and/or when that component meets their ethical, safety and quality requirements. After nothing but good experiences with them for many years, I don't think I'm being naive in trusting that they will always make the best choices for their customers.

Personally, I don't have any skin allergies or other concerns, so I don't need to worry about whether something is 100% natural. What's more important to me is that a product is made with care and expertise and I am more than confident that is the case with all BPAL and BPTP. But my number 1 priority issue with anything I buy is that it absolutely must not be tested on animals - and again, this is something I don't have to worry about with BPAL and BPTP.

Everything I know about Beth and her team tells me that they take their work very seriously, and I respect their ethics as much as I do their incredible talent for making beautiful smells.

I don't know about everyone else, but as a long-term, extremely picky customer I can tell you that I am completely satisfied and delighted by both BPAL's products and customer service. I am not sure what your agenda is here Jayne, but if you are trying to persuade the members of BPAL's forum that they are "tricking" us somehow, or ripping us off, you are totally barking up the wrong tree.

I don't have an agenda. I don't run a competing company or something. PM me and I'll add you on facebook if you really care.

When I have questions, sometimes I can be very stubborn about finding their answers. And frankly, being mocked and insulted for asking something any consumer has a right to know only made me more determined.

I am personally not invested in the synthetics vs. all-natural debate, I don't care which is on my skin so long as it is isn't physically or environmentally harmful. HOWEVER there are a number of people who do feel it matters for medical, religious and philosophical purposes. Their concerns were being ignored but they didn't want to rock the boat so they let it go. I don't mind making a fuss for them.

I was told a number of times by other customers that BPAL is all-natural, sometimes in a hostile manner. I honestly find it troubling that that misconception would be so widespread in a forum filled with lab staff and such otherwise knowledgeable fans. I find it odd that this wasn't already on record.

Of course, you may read that email and believe that "as natural as possible without compromising safety" is the same as all-natural. That's your prerogative and I won't get into that debate again.

I personally think there is a good reason why the lab does not say a clear YES or NO to the "all-natural" question. Maybe even more than one reason.

<snipped because you can read the rest just above this post>

:GoodPost: I know it's long, but everyone should read Amoraexcena's post!

After much consideration and at the suggestion of multiple forumites, we have decided to close this thread. At this point, Beth, on her own behalf as a forumite and on the Lab's behalf, has answered the relevant questions to the degree that she sees fit. If, and when, the Lab makes further updates to the official FAQ on the Black Phoenix site we will note them here.

In sum:

The Lab does not use pre-fab fragrance oils in its products and derives all non-naturally occurring scents from natural bouquets.

The Lab has experimented with synthetics, some of which have been available in prototype form but nothing currently available for retail sale contains synthetics.

To the extent that this information changes and forum management is made aware of it, this thread will be updated.

Apologies if something along these lines has been posted before, as my forum-searching failed to turn up any discussion. There's probably something there, considering how long this board has been in use, but I'm evidently not savvy enough to find it. :(

I'm just wondering about the quality of BPAL in comparison to other essential oils, like the ones sold by Nocturne Alchemy, Blooddrop, etc. It definitely looks like BPAL is the most expensive of the lot, but is there really that much of a difference in quality? Part of me is sure that it must just be a case of BPAL having so much more variety that makes it more popular, but I'm new to perfume, so I really have no idea.

Any thoughts, my lovely forumites?

Well, BPAL doesn't use carrier oils, so that puts it above some of them (I think Violette Market might, and I know Odditorium does). I've never tried NA (or their goth line either) so I don't know if they use carrier oils as well. Carrier oils are cheaper, and dilute the scent; if you see a huge bottle, and it's only $8, then you can bet it's at least half almond or other oil instead of scent.

However, I've tried ZOMGSmells and Conjure Oils both, and both manufacturers use pure oils and are as far as I'm concerned, of the same quality level. It's just whether you happen to like one company's leather note or rose note or whatever better than another, and if a certain company makes a scent you love. I don't like BPAL's lavender at all, but I love ZOMG's Purple Almond (lavender-almond) to death, I love BPAL's leather note, and CO's leather goes funky on me. It's all about skin chemistry and personal taste.

Just make sure they aren't using carriers and it's probably all the same, physically speaking.

EDIT: It should be noted that NEITHER BPAL nor any of the other manufacturers can truly be said to be 'essential oils'. It's true that they all use them, but many of the notes (like civet, and dirt, and banana) are 'perfume oils' and artificially created. I can't think of too many scented oil manufacturers that exclusively use essential oils, except a few of the specifically metaphysical companies that require %100 natural oils. It's possible that the TAL lines are purely essential but I can't remember seeing confirmation of that.

Edited by Nachtwulf

Well, BPAL doesn't use carrier oils, so that puts it above some of them (I think Violette Market might, and I know Odditorium does). I've never tried NA (or their goth line either) so I don't know if they use carrier oils as well. Carrier oils are cheaper, and dilute the scent; if you see a huge bottle, and it's only $8, then you can bet it's at least half almond or other oil instead of scent.

However, I've tried ZOMGSmells and Conjure Oils both, and both manufacturers use pure oils and are as far as I'm concerned, of the same quality level. It's just whether you happen to like one company's leather note or rose note or whatever better than another, and if a certain company makes a scent you love. I don't like BPAL's lavender at all, but I love ZOMG's Purple Almond (lavender-almond) to death, I love BPAL's leather note, and CO's leather goes funky on me. It's all about skin chemistry and personal taste.

Just make sure they aren't using carriers and it's probably all the same, physically speaking.

EDIT: It should be noted that NEITHER BPAL nor any of the other manufacturers can truly be said to be 'essential oils'. It's true that they all use them, but many of the notes (like civet, and dirt, and banana) are 'perfume oils' and artificially created. I can't think of too many scented oil manufacturers that exclusively use essential oils, except a few of the specifically metaphysical companies that require %100 natural oils. It's possible that the TAL lines are purely essential but I can't remember seeing confirmation of that.

I feel incredibly silly now, because that makes perfect sense, haha. Thanks very much for the response. I can't seem to find on the NA website if they use carrier oils or not, but maybe someone else has the answer to that.

I think this discussion has been beaten to death before, and the lab's statement always was that while BPAL oils are not made from exclusively essential oils, they ARE made from only natural ingredients, in part using other extraction methods, e.g. with sources that don't yield essential oils. I'm not sure about the other e-tailers.

This site lists a number of extraction methods. Although they seem to call all end results "essential oils", I think other sources would differ in the terminology used.

Edited by blu°