Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

The Wheel of Fortune

From Tarot Oils

Wheel of Fortune was nothing like what I expected. Somewhere in my head I thought it would remind me of Atlantic City. Hahaha! Rather, it’s the scent that I imagine Destiny of Neil Gaiman’s Endless would be scented. It’s a deep scent, and it seems like dark woods, mellow fruits and the dustiness of dried herbs. This scent is very hard to describe. It makes me feel somber and contemplative. I enjoy this perfume immensely.

This is another beautiful Tarot scent, but I don't know a good way to describe it. I put it on and got a sense of Pepto-Bismol and fizzy ginger ale, of all things - and even stranger, they worked together perfectly.

I'm not saying this smells like those two items, but it had a very flowing, chalky, and at the same time, crisp and bubbly character. I very much feel the two scents pulling at, and with, each other. After about fifteen minutes, these somehow merge into an unknown white floral that is utterly lovely in itself.

I didn't get any of the mellow fruits or dusty notes that viciousviolet did, although the herbs are a faint but sturdy base for the mystery floral. I wonder if I can talk Beth into telling me what's in this one, as it's beautiful but unidentifiable to me.

This is a gorgeous scent, on me it started off smelling of lemon alcohol (if there was ever such a thing!) and now it's settled into a crisp floral scent which strongly reminds me of bubblegum of all things!

To me it's very female and very gentle, this will be perfect for a summer scent. Its light, sexy and has a very soft bite to it which stops it being cloying.

This reminds me of the box of dried roses I used to keep on my dresser. It has that floral yet dusty and dry smell. Almost like tea leaves.

It smelled very sweet and sharp when I first put it on but after drying down it mellows. It's nice and light and is striking me as somewhat Victorian. I'm not sure it's very me but it's pretty and not overly floral.

This one I like, I need a little Jupiterian influence in my life right now, and Wheel of Fortune seems to be helping. It started out rather sweet and too complex for me to pick out the individual notes, and dried down to a soft, sweet, incensy scent. It's also lovely in an oil burner. I got a 10 ml in a swap, and I think it may not last long :P

i dont know why but when i smelled it i though... lotus

if it has any lotus i do not know, but it seems to.

i like it pretty well, but not something i would want to wear all the time.

hopefully a more indepth review will follow :P

ahh there is wintergreen of some sort, possibly birch? and some kind of citrus but the wintergreen smell is the fremost note for me, this si crisp, clean, beautiful, i don't know if i could wear it daily but it is nice

The initial note, which shelldoo speaks of, is what hooked me on this fragrance.

It turns out, according to Beth, that spicy herbal smell in the imp and first on is a mixture of the herbs/spices and saffron used in the oil.

Sadly, for me, that was the part I loved in the oil, and it dried down on me to something different very quickly.

Wheel of Fortune

In the bottle: Sweet, with a slight hint of Ben-Gay.

On me: Sweet grasses and light florals – maybe orange blossom. :D It has a waxy overtone that I also picked up in the bottle. This starts out very light on the skin.

Drydown: It warms up, but the same notes are still evident. It reminds me of a meadow or something. Or candy. Must be fruit.

After a while, this becomes an absolutely to-die-for beautiful scent! :P

Initially: Very medicinal...like vicks vapo rub. Some eucalyptus? Some anise? Less vapo rubby now but still very anisey. It's sweetening up now. Smelling a bit fruity. It is a very peculiar scent! I can taste it pretty strongly as well. It's finishing up very sweet and fruity.

I was weak.

I put this on and was immediately struck full in the face but an extraordinarily unpleasant medicianal odor, not Vics Vapo-rub as much as...I don't know...Ben Gay maybe? I know I should have given more time for the fragrance to develop, for the scent to change. Every indication is that such does happen. But why would I want to fight through a half hour of pain for a pleasant dry-down? I smelled, made a face, let me boyfriend smell it (he made a face) and then ran, ran I tell you, to wash it off.

Hmm...object lessons in a bottle, mayhaps. I'll try again later and see if I get a different reaction.

At first this is medicinal, its a bit harsh, then it cools a bit making me think there may be some kind of mint or somthing similiar in this (anise, eucalyptus?). I also feel like there is sandalwood and something fruity, maybe citrus or a touch of berry. I really enjoy this, It is beautiful.

The Wheel of Fortune

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

In the vial:

Minty, spicy, herbal.

On me:

This is like a Wintergreen hard mint - the kind that when you bite down on, create sparks at night. There’s also something softening it somewhat - I’m guessing white musk, but I’m not sure.

In 10 minutes:

About the same, but softer.

Overall:

Too minty. I’m glad I got to try it!

Hm, did I really test Wheel of Fortune or is this something else? This doesn't smell anything like most of the things described above, to me. It strikes me first as....ah-choo!! It makes me sneeze. I have to assume that it's got pepper in it, nothing else makes me sneeze quite so quickly. But after I apply it it changes and becomes softly woody -- it smells almost just like Grandmother of Ghosts, or the cedary wood smell that was in Jupiter...or the combination of wood and an orangey smell that was in Kuang Shi. And it stays that way, with that soft wood growing in warmth. Even after washing it off it's going strong! I like it, but that initial sneeziness means I probably wouldn't want it as more than a curiosity. As for its relation to the Tarot card it represents, I don't know why but I feel as though it fits.

Now that I read how everyone else described wintergreen/mint when testing this I went back to sniff it in the bottle again and I DO get that as well but that was part of what made me sneeze, so I didn't notice it at first. That faded almost immediately on me, I never got it at all except straight from the bottle. My skin really does gobble mint though, it hardly lasts a minute on me.

In bottle: A sharp note on top with a plastic-like note below it. I'm trying to place the upper note - it's almost menthol-y, and makes me think of Vicks Vapo-Rub, but it doesn't smell like eucalyptus. Great for clearing sinuses up tho'!

On me: A light wood - someone said birch and that seems feasible to me. The drydown is pretty; that wood and something light and sweet, probably some sort of green fruit. It almost reminds me of a cherry-flavored candy cane, with hints of wood. It's a complicated scent that enjoys slowly evolving.

I got cinnamon bubble gum from The Wheel of Fortune. It didn't really suit me scent-wise, and I would rather change my own fate than wait for good fortune to come my way (because I've never been the lucky type of person), so I didn't hold onto this one.

Like many of the Tarot blends, Wheel of Fortune is complex.

On me, it's a very autumnal scent - spiced fruits (fig and plum, maybe?) and berries, with a touch of smoke. Maybe some soft musks or ambers to warm it up, and subtle florals. My nose wants to put it in the same family as Queen of Spades and Mabon.

This is completely unlike what I thought Wheel of Fortune would be - for some reason, I was thinking of something a bit sharper and green smelling, rather than this deep, warm plummy smell. It's making me want to curl up under an afghan with a good book and a mug of spicy tea or mulled wine... or rather, that's what I'd do if it wasn't currently the middle of summer. :D

This is gorgeous and unexpected. :P

It's Mighty Morphin' Power BPAL!!! Seriously, this scent changes its shape entirely about every five minutes, which is appropriate considering the card itself represents constant change in life. It goes from a bubble-gummy sort of smell to mint to some kind of wood to some kind of floral and back again and then some. It's not really a perfume per se, I see where this with some kind of intent closer to your body and because of its changeable nature, possibly wearing it with another complementary scent more outwardly.

I think this is the first BPAL that my reaction is : cool! :P

Initial Sniff: This doesn't smell like much in the vial - slightly herbal, slightly fruity.

Wearing: Woah! When first applied, this is like a really weird mix of buublegum sweet lotus, sharp mint, and peppery ginger. I didn't faithfully record all the stages of this one (and there are many - I do remember a distinctly watermelon stage), but it seems to settle finally on a slightly fruity incense smell.

Final Impressions: Amazing!!!

Hmmm

I really like this one. It starts out kind of menthol with pepper. The first time I tried it, it reminded me a lot of swank, but sweeter. There's some kind of cool fruit in here. It's very interesting and very pleasant.

Origin:

Lagniappe from BPTP. :D

First sniff:

I know this smell and I know that I know it, but (as is the case with so many of the Tarot blends), I can't quite get the name to actually ocme out enough to identify this.

It reminds me of a kitchen. Some sort of herb, I believe, although I'm drawing a complete blank on what is is for some reason. I'd say this is pungent and green smelling but...not. Gah, I can't describe this! :D

Wet on skin:

So damn familiar...I know I smelled an EO very similar to this not too long ago, but I don't remember what it was. The most I can say is that this is extremely pungent and smells herbal in a way that's almost like a mix of Ricola coughdrops and horehound candy. I know that has to sound unappealing, but it's actually not. That's just the only way I can think of to describe this.

Dry down:

Most of the herbalness has gone and now this is more like a mix of horehound and some sort of sweet florals. This is very unusual and suprisingly pretty. :P

The bottom line:

I would love to know what's in this because it's as pretty as it is unusual. :D

at first: pretty and interesting. i think i smell anise and something sort of antiseptic.

on: interesting. i think i'm smelling anise and some sort of alcohol. or maybe a wintergreen sort of a scent. odd.

10 minutes later: this is so totally toilet bowl cleaner on me that it's making me a little nauseous.

2 hours later: this is mostly gone and i'm left with a fainty herbal scent. nice.

overall: another non-perfume tarot oil for me, but definitely something i'll be using in other ways.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, since everyone's reviews seemed so different from each other. This is an odd scent, and not very 'me'.

First on it has an almost minty/menthol coolness to it. Herbal and medicinal. There is also a sort of spicy woods scent lingering in the background.

Over the next hour this took on a strange sweet smell. Like some sort of juicy fruit and a light, sweet floral. Still the herbal smell lingered. It's a green sort of herbal.

After about 5 hours, this is lightly fruity, incensey, and I think I smell sandalwood.

This one gives me that feeling of "wearing someone else's perfume". It's just not me and it didn't really grow on me. I'll be giving away my decant of this'n.

Initial: a blast of mint (like toothpaste).

Dry: okay, the mint dies fairly quickly and it changes into a strong incense that is very familiar. It took me awhile to figure out where I knew that scent from: the incense the priest at the Ukrainian Catholic church I went to as a child used. Now I can't get past that association and so I can't use this anymore. It's amazing how scent ties to memory.