Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
clover

Fiery Command

Fiery Command

First impressions: Strong florals - my first guess is gardenia & maybe some jasmine.

Upon application: Gardenia & something slightly sweet, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It's a strong floral with something slightly sweet and pretty underneath.

After a few minutes: I wore this today to help me take command of my own emotions, and it seems to be helping. It's very grounding (not at all what I was expecting from something called Fiery Command) and doesn't go at all bitter, unlike 95% of florals on me. I want to rub my wrist...kind of like my kitty with catnip. Kind of addictive.

I like this very much, indeed.

this is one lovely oil! definitely has the lush florals going on, but i keep smelling something else that i can't quite put my finger on. not going to worry about it, though i think that i will have to look into getting a good-rolling neutral-smelling carrier oil because it's just a little to strong for me to wear full strength. i can smell it right now as i'm typing this, even though i only put a drop on my hand (which is, of course, down by the keyboard).

it really reminds me of datura, though! i bet they'd partner together very well.

:P to clover for sharing an imp with me :D

This is definitely a heavy floral thing.. Both in the bottle and on me. It's strong, and will probably be best used with a carrier oil. I smell gardenia for sure, but I can't quite make out the other florals. I think it might be a little too heavy for what I like to wear.. but it's nice for florals :P

Wow, I did so not get mostly florals from this. I'll admit that it has a perfumy edge, which very possibly could be florals. Reminds me of what I get with living flame etc. However, it mostly reminded me of Sin. Seemed a bit spicy, like cinnamon or Dragon's Blood. I really liked it actually. I need to find out where I can find out more about what these oils are supposed to do though.

Fiery Command:

Wet: Definite white floral. Quite surprising, as I was expecting something a bit more.. hrm. Perhaps warm, or red.

Drydown: .. castille soap, as white florals tend to do with me.

Long-term wear: Sadly, no. White florals are great in my garden, bad on my skin. :P

hmm in the bottle it is very much dragon's blood, it has a white floral back note, but dragons blood is definitely the prominent note

on: spicy, but not like cinnamon type spice, possibly saffron? but sweeter then saffron that spice note is the thing i smell the most, i wish i could put my finger one what it is, the dragons blood is still there but very faint, and the floral is all but gone, it everyonce in a while simmers through but not in the forefront for sure, this is a beautiful blend

a review of Fiery Command

Vial ~ Sweet with florals, but not cloying, wish I could note the exact

florals, but I am not able to do so.

Wet ~ On my wrists the scent has not changed too much. I think one of the

notes is Dragon's Blood, in fact I am pretty sure. This is definitely a

grounding scent and it is somewhat remniscent of Tushnamatay. I was told

that this oil was for use to stregthen spells. I bought it in conjunction

with Water of Notre Dame, thinking that if I wore these two together it

might help with things that are going on with me personally.

Drying ~ The Dragon's blood is still there, but there is still another

componenet I am unable to detect, it gives it a bit of spiciness also kind

of like Old Morocco. It also seems to have true staying power that Old

MOrocco does not have. I am truly enjoying this scent.

Dry ~ Spiciness, but not overdone. Still holding onto my skin strong but

for me not too much unlike what some of the other reviewers have mentioned

Fade ~ It takes quite awhile for Fiery command to fade, which is a major

plus in my book. It was a truly enjoyable scent and it did go well with

Water of Notre Dame.

Final thoughts ~ I would give this one a 5 out of 5. For me this one is a

true blue winner. It lasts and for me it is a very grounding scent. I have

worn this scent three times already.

In bottle~Not quite sure what this smells like. Maybe floral with a bite. I tried to find a description of this on the forum, but no luck.

Wet~Minty floral. The oil tingles on my skin as do the other magical blends I've tried. I wish I knew what this one did.

Dry~Very hard to describe. It's not really floral anymore and it reminds me of the Horn of Plenty. There is some spice working it's way to the top. All the Voodoo blends smell similar to me. I'm not sure if it's just my nose or if they share common ingredients.

I love to wear this one if I'm going to be outside, because it really has throw. Yes, the strong floral is definitely there, but there is this lovely, incense-y undertone to it that really contributes to the complexity of the scent. I guess perhaps the under note is most like dragon's blood, as a few others have suggested. I love it, it's an odd combination of a strong, frangipani - like floral with an old, hippied out head shop musk. I wear this when I take my puppy to obedience school to see if it lives up to it's name!!! :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells a lot like cologne. Expensive cologne.

Just On: It softens a little bit, into expensive flowery cologne. There's a hint of sharpness there too.

An hour or two later: This dries down into a hint of powder, some spice, and a bit of sweetness.

Around 6 hours: Oooh, it's getting really pretty now. Sweet spice, and a bit of powder.

12 hours: It all went away, and I'm sad about that.

Overall: This starts out smelling a LOT like some department store junk... and just gets better and better on my skin, all the way through.

After reading other reviews: I see others compare it to perfume (meaning non-BPAL junk <g>) as well, and it smells like that to begin, and then dries down to a wonderful beautiful scent that I would wear quite regularly. I need to seek out a bottle of this.

this reminds me so much of somthing. there is resin and spice mostly for me.

a touch of mint, but not likely to go bad on me (skin is already occupied so sniffing from bottle)

Dragons blood? or Amber?

maybe some cinnamon, but not so as it would take over.

but definitely resin. touch of mint.

really hefty floral there too, but mostly resin.

My Impression: Oh how lovely and it does pack a potent perfumy punch as well. I agree with the earlier reviews about a floral note, and can identify some dragon's blood as well as spice note, however I am unable to identify it. I really like this one and on a scale of 1 to 5 this is a 5. :P

Origin - part of the TAL Circular Swap

Wet - at first this smells strong, resinous. It's a very powerful scent with a lot of throw.

Dry - as this dries it becomes floral, gardenia I think, over a dark resin. There could be dragon's blood in here, but it's certainly not the only resin. This is an assertive, take charge feel to this blend. The scent is very long-lasting.

This is a strong and commanding scent indeed! :P

I mostly get spicy and sweet notes, with some clove.

This perfume has a lot of throw! :D

Edited by quimerula

Definitely Dragon's Blood (interesting that Clover mentioned gardenia, because Dragon's Blood is very gardenia on me ... the first time I tried Serpent's Kiss all I could think of was White Shoulders) ...

No one has mentioned this but is it possible there is patchouli in this? On drydown there is something spicy/incensey that is one of my favorite BPAL-type notes which I generically refer to as "my comfort scent" ... I thought it was patchouli but it could be amber or myrrh I guess.

I am officially madly in love with this. I hope it uses its power for good because I could sure that right now.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED MARCH 2013 ...

Admittedly a little confused, but reviews probably not the place to solve confusion (but will explain briefly just to clarify what I'm sniffing from).

I know I originally sniffed this as part of a TAL decant circle in August 2005 and purchased a 5 ML bottle when it became available. My bottle is cobalt but the label is from BPAL, not TAL. I made a note that Fiery Command was shifted to the Ars Amatoria section of BPAL but on second look I find no confirmation of that nor is it listed, as far as I can see, in that section. So ... I'm not 100% sure when I got this bottle (except that it's being cobalt means it's older), or whether there was a time when the TAL blends came with BPAL labels.

Oh well ... on to the review, which remains quite similar to my old one.

IN THE IMP: Lives up to its visual impression of red, red, fiery red with an equally noticeable resin of some sort cutting that lush floral of Dragon's Blood in half in great fashion.

I just want to slather this goodness on but restrain myself to a generous dose on one wrist and in the crook of one arm.

WET: Absolutely mesmerizing. I don't think there are a lot of notes in this and yet it is very complex and perfectly balanced and divine with my chemistry. Not quite floral, not quite resiny. It needs its own word. Flesiny? Roral? SO clean and powerful.

DRYDOWN: While I know most of the reviews mentioned patchouli, cinnamon, etc. I now stand by my initial impression that the other note (or ANother note) is probably amber. And maybe, possibly, benzoin? But definitely amber. I suspect there is a third note here somewhere that gives it a spicy touch ... it could be cinnamon, or saffron or even a touch of myrrh (which often goes powdery-wonky on me if there's too much so if it's myrrh I think it's in a small dose).

OVERALL: The reason I guess amber is that I've discovered that while I can't necessarily put my finger on an amber note when it's wet, when it dries down it becomes my ultimate ineffable "comfort" scent (benzoin is too) and that is EXACTLY what Fiery Command is.

I know it's supposed to be something strong and bold but for me, the strength comes from the comfort it provides me ... and it makes a lot of sense now that it was such a huge comfort when I first tested it and reviewed it, because it would have been very shortly after my precious Cazzie died suddenly and mysteriously (and, as I know now, was killed, either deliberately or accidentally when someone was trying to kill the dog next door ... long story).

I still can't figure out if this is a discontinued scent or I just can't find it but I am glad I have a bottle of it and plan to avail myself of its warmth and goodness a lot more often now.

On a scale of 1-5, need I tell you this is an eleventyzillion?

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I bought an imp of this from the Apothecary's Cart. I immediately recognized Dragon's Blood, and it reminded me a bit of my beloved Spellbound - sensual, sexy, and floral. I really need some power right now, hehe, so I hope it takes effect. I will get a big bottle of this when I have the opportunity most definately.

Edited by violetblue

Dragon's Blood, definitely. But more. It has that same rich dark floral of dragon's blood, but a soft touch of spice. Softer than cinnamon, definitely, but something spicey. This is seriously gorgeous. I now have to try on every scent in Ars Draconis & maybe start blending to see if I can reproduce this with catalogue oils. Maybe Dragon's Blood plus Morrocco?

Practically speaking, a I did tiny test of attempting to "self-command" to get stuff done since I have a mountain of things to do, and an even larger tendency to procrastinate. It seems to have worked nicely. I feel much more focused now than I did before. Heck, my eyes are even more focused. I wouldn't be parting with this if I had a choice in the matter. (Finances means this one gets sold.)

EDIT: having tried this twice now with the command to get stuff done, it works very nicely to get myself to be productive and non-procrastinatory! The first time, the effects seemed to last for 24-36 hours, but was strongest in the first three.

ALSO EDIT: Commenting on the above reviews. For one thing, I completely agree with the person who said this is like catnip in that it's addictive. I just can't stop sniffing it. For another thing, I have to DISAGREE with whoever said it might have jasmine in it. Every single jasmine blend I've ever tried has disagreed violently with my skin chemistry. This blend loves me. This blend even loves me during my period. Almost NOTHING loves me then. It does smell different, with much stronger spices and less sweet dragon's blood. But it's still reeeeeaaally nice. (Classic case of seller's regret. Must have more!)

Overall: FIVE STARS OR MORE!! This is both darn useful and SMELLS TO DIE FOR. I cannot WAIT until the TAL site goes live so that I can get myself a bottle (I have but an imp now), and so that I can find some specific directions on how to use it properly. I'm curious to see if it would work any differently if I followed directions rather than just sniff my wrists compusively. :P

Edited by Muppetk

Fiery Command::

(Origin: TAL circular swap.) Determination. The oil itself is a fiery red-orange, and rather than any particular notes, I felt a strong sense of grounding and focusing-- the gathering of energy for the fixed purpose of enduring a trial. Very potent, and I would acquire an imps' worth if I could. There may be vetiver in this.

this is sweet and cinnamony on me. a bit candy-like. i like it...i'm not sure how it relates exactly to the idea of "fiery command"...it feels almost too pleasant, happy and playful to be seriously "commanding". but i haven't really experimented with it yet. i guess the cinnamon is "fiery". i would like to try this for extra will-power, when i need help "sticking to my guns". it is a nice scent...for some reason, reminds me a bit of snake charmer. (?)

fierycommand.jpg

Very dragon's blood to me. I wish I knew more about what this oil was supposed to do, I suspect to take control of your anger and use it for more useful things than simply being nasty. It is pink on my skin and it does have that linseed oil smell of Wolf's Heart, as well as a cinnamon in a small dose. It is much nicer than mere Dragon's Blood alone. I say it's scent is very sophisticated overall. Strictly as perfume, this is lovely, more like what very chic European artists would choose.

Edited by olympia301

This starts out as soft dragon's blood with a slight cinnamon(or perhaps mint?) tingle on skin. After a while, gardenia appears but doesn't overwhelm, a bit powdery. Softens to a creamy, vanilla-like fragrance with a nice dragon's blood background.

Being as I got this as a purpose oil, I'd like to find out more about how to use it properly.

As a perfume oil, it's quite nice :P

113389175.jpg

In the bottle

Spicy floral

This is a dark orange colored blend.

On

It smells like Cinnamon, Jasmine, Dragon's Blood.

It's spicy, sweet, thick, resinous and floral.

30 minutes

Now I smell more...lotus?

Other then that it smells the same not much has changed and that's a good thing.

Throw:

More than average

Scent category:

Spicy/Floral

Summary

Long lasting scent that is spicy and sensual. It's feminine but powerful. It smells like Salome, and Hellfire mixed together. :P

Purchase again?

Yes! A 5ml or three.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

How sad, as usual with blends containing Dragons Blood I can barely smell anything else. And as usual it has turned to powder on my skin almost instantly. I wish that note would love me, but I guess it's just not meant to be.

I applied about two hours ago, and it was powder within 10 minutes and hasn't since revived even the slightest bit. Although the smell is quite strong still so I guess on most people this would last well and have fairly decent throw. I can't really get anything else out of it, and I'm sure it's not working as intended either, since I'm here reviewing instead of writing the paper I'm meant to be working on.

Gardenia or dragon's blood - a strong flora with a touch of spice on the dry down (I thought I got some patchouli in there too) This was stronger than I thought, a lot of throw, and made me feel very confident facing a room full of sophomore students who didn't want to do their homework.

Origin - TAL Circular Swap

Dragon's Blood. That is really all that I get from this, with maybe a little bit of floral in the background. But really, it is DB to my nose.