Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Imptress

Euphrosyne

Gardenia, tea rose, vanilla and jasmine.

Hunh. I usually don't like jasmine, and gardenia is almost always a dealbreaker, but... um, actually this is pretty nice. It's sweet instead of being cloying. The sweetness seems like a fruity sweetness to me, and I have no idea what's causing that. It's pretty and feminine, and my husband likes it on me a lot. :P

ETA: Edited to add description.

Edited by filigree_shadow

I tried this without knowing what the notes were. I think I got it confused with Eos, because I had buttercups on the brain for some reason. Anway, this is what I wrote:

Very sweet, like jasmine, only more yellow than white. spicier on drydown, veering into headache territory for me.

After a little while it reminded me a lot of lighter, brighter version of Sacred Whore of Babylon. Like the 'Ho as a maiden, or something.

Don't know how much I'd actually wear this, but want to try it again a few more times.

Wet, this is jasmine and other white florals with a slight overtone of lemon/citrus (who knows where that is coming from?!) "Aah", I thought "possibly a wearable jasmine blend". But no, as this dries down, the white florals increase in volume, and after half an hour this is screaming at me.

And now I must go and wash it off.

But I have to agree with wanderingredhead this does remind me a little of Sacred Whore which I happen to be testing on my other wrist.

Off to swaps

When I first put it on I could smell each of the notes individually now that it has dried down I am left with some gardenia and lots of vanilla. The rose and jasmine are still there they are just sitting quietly in the background. The more I smell it the more I like it, it is a shame that I only have an imp and it has a broken top.

Oh my god, jasmine that doesn't kill me ded! I thought it was impossible! The gardenia is even tolerable!

Ahem. Anyway. I can certainly smell the sharpness of jasmine as soon as Euphrosyne hits my skin, but it fades very quickly, leaving a vanilla-sweetened white floral that's nice, even if it's not my cup of tea. Fades very quickly, though.

Wow, this is waaayyy too sweet, even for me! It smells kind of like a typical drugstore perfume spray, in that it's pretty and unoffensive, but I like complexity with my BPAL. :P

Feted as the truest gardenia in the BPAL catalogue which I only got upon initial application. When the drydown begins, I get a note reminiscent of lemon verbena which makes it a sweeter gardenia composition than I’d like. There is a sweet, cloying, lingering note that I can’t identify it and it slightly detracts from the pleasant experience for me. Thankfully, three hours later the true gardenia note returns – it smells exactly like a plucked gardenia that is dying from heat – sad, but beautiful.

Attack of the florals!

It should be good on me, it should, because vanilla and I have always been friends. But it just blasts on as FLOWERS, and then dries down into that plasticky scent we all know and despise. *sigh* Add to the trade pile.

I love the Lab's vanilla, although usually it either doesn't last long on my skin or gets beaten into submission by the other notes. In Euphrosyne, however, the vanilla lasts and lasts! Add to that three of my favourite florals (none of which are strong in this, vanilla is definately on top) and well, this is love. :P

I put this on and had no trouble picking out most of the notes. While some perfumes are just one scent, some like this one have distinct levels. At first the rose, gardenia and jasmine are the strongest but they are balanced by each other so they are behaving very nicely. I really think it's the vanilla that is making them behave because they are just hovering between too much and too little. The rose takes over a bit at the end but it's still not HELLO ROSES but more of creamy rose with just a tiny bit of green to it. Sadly this disappeared really quickly on me. It would make a gorgeous spring perfume....I wonder if I tried dumping this in some unscented lotion. It would make a nice base for a lot of the more springy scents.

This scent, which should have been doom on my skin, is amazingly wearable. I always love it when I hit one of those break-all-the-rules BPAL blends.

In the imp, before I knew the components of the blend, I sniffed a spicy floral, mainly jasmine. On my skin, Euphrosyne starts and remains (without morphing), vanilla spiked with a spicy floral. I find that gardenia, rose and jasmine can be at best iffy and at worst, nauseating, but in this combination they meld together to produce a spicy floral that isn't pungent, but also isn't sweet or heady. (Or headachey!) And because the vanilla stays in the forefront, I'm not hit by the attack of the flowers. My skin tends to amp and burn off florals, so it's not a terribly long-lasting scent -- however, I was wearing it on a very hot day, and it might last longer on a cooler day. All in all, this scent was a lovely surprise, and I'm delighted that I tried it!

Edited by valentina

I should preface this by stating that I'm not a floral gal. Well, not generally. There are always exceptions..

Initial Impression: Very strong floral.

On Wet: I can now start smelling individual notes: gardenia, jasmine, and vanilla..

On Dry: This is more mellow now. More blended. I actually like this.

Final Impression: This is a soft, very feminine floral. I'm surprised I like it so well. It smells to me like flowers in honey.

Rating (on a scale of 1 to 5): 3.5 I might buy this in the future.

I got this as a frimp and I'm not sure this is going to work for me as I generally don't do florals. However vanilla is nearly always a winner on me and I do like jasmine, but gardenia is an unknown and I don't like rose much at all. Although tea rose is far better than most others.

In the imp: Yep jasmine, rose and what I guess is gardenia along with the creaminess of vanilla. Not bad at all for a floral.

Wet: Orange peel! I rather like the smell of orange peel.

Drydown: Hello jasmine induced headache. At least I know it will only last a minute and disappear. Jasmine and orange peel. Werd and yet strangely compelling.

Dry: It's mainly jasmine and gardenia now, with the vanilla underneth and just a little rose. It's actually quite a nice spicy floral and vanilla, but I wish the vanilla were stronger. Nice, but not really me.

In the imp: ooh, fizzy gardenia and vanilla and jasmine, bright and green.

On me, wet: still that fizzy zesty wetness to this, which I think is the gardenia asserting itself. Everything else is taking a back seat to it.

On me, dry: ...hello jasmine, you powdery thing. It's counteracting the extreme blinding-bright frothiness of the gardenia a bit, though.

Verdict: This is a very strong white floral, assertive and bold and garish. But not my thing, alas.

I swear, what I smell is soft creamy florals mixed with powdered sugar! It’s so sweet -- the vanilla really dominates. The jasmine is soft and I think that’s where the powderiness comes from. I don’t really smell the rose. A lovely, girly blend. I love vanilla, and this is one of the rare florals that seems made for me.

I have a 5ml that my sister bought for me sometime I believe either last year or so..but I haven’t gotten around to trying it…blushing. :P

So..the frimp from the Labbies will have to suffice; if I love it at least I know I have more to slather..hee hee.

Roses and gardenias are notes that my sister wears..they are her signature notes..roses specifically…but if I can find a blend that I can wear with these elements well..there is no foul done right??

Initial sniff from frimp: This smells SO lovely..the gardenia is first..with a bit of a dewy tea rose and the jasmine flirting in the back. I am delighted.

Applied wet on skin: Two swipes of the wand on my wrist..and I inhale deeply..what I get is still the gardenia..but the jasmine is trying to come up fast and is bobbing with the rose. Still really pretty…

Couple of minutes on skin :It’s more now softened jasmine with the rose…and surprisingly..just on the edges..I do get a trace of vanilla…fascinating. Gardenia is MIA..but it’s okay…I really do find this so very pretty.

Ten minutes later:Sometimes it’s jasmine..sometimes it’s gardenia..sometimes it’s the rose..all of them weave in and out seamlessly over a feather bed of wispy vanilla. Just amazing. I am not really much of a floral girl..but in the spring and summer I do find myself enjoying them a bit more..and this really fits the bill for wearing now and in the warmer months. Let’s just see how much mileage I can get out of it scent-wise..so far it really is wonderful.

Forty minutes later: It’s now just the sheer vanilla…with a faint breath of the floral.

This fragrance stays close to the skin…not much throw at all.

Lasting power is clocked at about 4+ hours…not bad!!!

Bottom Line: Euphrosyne is a beautiful floral that combines the cool lushness of the gardenia, tea rose and jasmine with a sweet vanilla. I am so happy I have a bottle and look forward to wearing it again in the upcoming months.

The beginning of Euphrosyne is pure funeral parlor. All gardenia and rose. It's very strong and fills my nose with bad memories. However, I didn't give up. Euphrosyne goes more green and jasmine after twenty minutes or so and actually becomes tolerable.

Euphrosyne ends up mellowing to a vanilla-y jasmine. It's really lovely at the four-hour mark. Unfortunately, it burned my neck, so it's not staying.

This starts out as a very strong gardenia/rose, and as it dries I start to think I might like it...but the jasmine does finally kick in on my skin and turn into yuck. :P Oh well, off to swaps it goes.

I love the scent of jasmine, but the jasmine BPAL uses is quite different from the scent of real jasmine flowers. It isn't so awful I recoil from it, it's just unappealing. To my nose, it smells dry and stale and...papery? I get a similar effect from BPAL's gardenia, magnolia and many other BPAL florals, so I usually avoid all those. This one must have been a frimp.

In the wet stage I'm thinking this might be the jasmine scent I actually like, because it smells like Lush's Flying Fox with lemongrass (and I love Flying Fox). If it stayed like this, I'd want more. Unfortunately, as it wears on, the good kind of jasmine (and gardenia) morphs into the bad kind and it no longer has any appeal for me. I never detected rose or vanilla at all.

If you like the initial smell of Euphrosyne but not the dry stage, try Namaste. It's got that same lemongrass note but the jasmine is very toned down.

I bought this b/c of the vanilla and jasmine. I guess what I am finding is that gardenia and my skin just suck together, which is quite unfortunate b/c separately gardenia is so delightful.

ANYHOO

Wet: I get STRONG lemon, citrus, and vanilla. Not sure why the citrus. No rose comes through for me yet.

On skin: again, lemon pledge for some reason, and no more vanilla. No rose, no jasmine.

Drydown: dark musky vanilla with a slight sprinkle of rose. Where is the gardenia and lemon that hit me so hard before??? Love the drydown, actually, and am sad that it took hours for my skin to put this oil where it belongs on me. Now, dry and worn a bit, it smells like it would really work on either males or females, or anywhere in between...very unisex. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle just b/c I have no patience...and the time it took to make me love it so was just too long for me.

WAH! :P

first sniff: That's a strong floral!

wet: I get mostly gardenia. There's a juicy rose under there somewhere.

dry: The jasmine is taking over as it dries, although the vanilla comes out, too, and it's lovely.

I can see this being great on a hot, humid summer night when other blends would dissipate too soon. I have other blends I like better for the heat, though...

When wet, the first thing I get is a candy lemon smell….huh? After drying, the gardenia scent comes through and plays nicely with the lemon candy…who would have guessed? In another 10 minutes or so, the jasmine kicks in and we have a happy threesome. I never quite get the rose, but it's good as is. After half an hour, the dominant note is jasmine, which I happen to like. Two hours later, it is a slightly sweet vanilla with a touch of jasmine. This is a really nice blend with a fun evolution.

Edited by gloom & doom bear

In the bottle: a lovely soft rosy vanilla.

On skin: it starts off buttery and then sweetens as the gardenia comes out.

Drying: A very sweet floral. Then the vanilla and jasmine come to the fore.

It's lovely, all in all.

I bought a .5ml without testing first. When it arrived with 7 other bottle friends I took a quick sniff and.... "ICK!".

I didn't really think of it until I was wearing Pele for it's first daytime testdrive (which I lovvve). I went to refresh Pele and I grabbed the Euphrosyne bottle by mistake and slathered it on.

I loved it. Creamy floral goodness. Extremely pleasant from top to bottom. My boyfriend grabbed me as I was walking past him and buried his face against my neck and proclaimed I smelt amazing all day then .. ON WITH THE RAVISHING!

It lasted about 2 hours on me before I had to refresh.

Winner!

Oh man, this is a floral gone wrong on my skin--immediate baby wipe/baby powder territory. The culprit behind all this seems to be the not-exactly-holy combination of vanilla and jasmine. The vanilla makes the jasmine take on the most baby-wipey aspects of night jasmine (which doesn't work too well on my skin), and as the scent dries, the gardenia becomes stronger, which does not help. Oddly enough, the tea rose (which is usually a strong note) is absent in this blend on my skin. The vanilla really is devilish in the mix on my skin!