Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Freesia

This freesia scent may be the almost tropical, fruity note that some forumites have had a hard time identifying. It's definitely familiar without being common, and for me dries down to a very "pebbly pear in pineapple and other tropical fruit juices" sort of scent.

Beautiful, and nothing like the Bath and Body Works version, which may be the only concept many of us have of freesia. My mother thinks it smells like floral fruit loops, just for a different take on this one. :P

to me, this smells of nothing so much as gummi bears! its very sweet, almost tropical, as jj_j said. its the candy-like component i picked up in the unicorn. i like it, but i got it as a gift for my mother who adores freesias, and she wished it smelled more like the fresh flower, so off to swap it goes!

Wet I get the fruity undertones, and it's quite too sweet for my taste.

As it dryes down it goes more like the scent I find in the flowers (freesia is my favourite flower, by the way) a bit powdery but just not as strong as smelling the fresh ones.

But I have to say that it doesn't stay too much on my skin. :P

In bottle: My conception of Freesia comes exclusively from Bath & Body Work's Sheer Freesia line, and this truly smells nothing like it. This is much bolder and brighter.

On me: Very fruity and fresh, it reminds me a bit of the juice in a bartlett pear, the crispness of apple, and the sweetness of almond. It's completely different from what I expected, and I couldn't be happier. Gorgeous!

There's a warm fruity edge to this floral. It smells very apple-y sweet to me with just the barest hint of floral. This smells very familiar to me, like another blend that I can't recall. It has a very fall/harvest-y edge to it, which doesn't quite fit in with the preconceived notions I had of Freesia. As it dries down further the apple-y note goes away and it fades into a light sort of tropically tinged floral.

Edited by cupide430

First sniff: Silken-soft, airy, billowy, light-pink floral.

Wearing: It’s just very, very soft and airy. Floral mousse (not the stuff you put in your hair, but the stuff you eat). Very pale and very pretty, and just sweet enough.

I wasn't sure what to expect; as jj_j said above, I knew Freesia from Bath & Body Works. The shower gel was a favorite for a time, because it smelled very fresh and clean.

This Freesia is 100x better! It's a fresh fruity floral -- I thought melon at first, then a couple reviews above mentioned apple and that's more accurate. Really beautiful all by itself.

My computer has crashed three times now and deleted my review of this one. Here goes try number four.

This is nothing like the Freesia from Bath & Body Works (the perfumey, fresh smelling floral that gives me a headache). It's a lot better than that though, and not at all what I was expecting.

First on, this actually reminds me of gummi bears. Tropical gummi bears with more of a pineapple-y smell to them. Very sweet and fruity. In the drydown, some of the sweetness wears off and this begins to smell more like crisp apple and some ozone notes.

This is clean and fruity and (surprisingly) not very floral smelling on me. I like it.

Reviewing this before I send off my imp to a better home.

Like everyone else, my idea of Freesia came from BBW. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how, initially, it didn't smell like BBW's Freesia. There's a bit of a tropical gummy bears impression, like everyone else said, but really, it smelled like tropical apples, juicy, happy apples (if there are such a thing) that are joyously set on a background of the tropics. However, as it dries, it smells a bit like the BBW Freesia, because of a slightly plastic or artificial aura to it, but it's airier. After a few hours, the plastic note is gone, it smells vaguely like BBW, but not, because the BBW Freesia is marked by the presence of artificiality. It's very light and airy and slightly sweet. In summary, it smells awesome, like tropical apples, then settles down to an airy, light sweet version of BBW (it should be the other way around, but the BBW is the only point of reference I have).

Edited by malanna

Freesia - The only other freesia I'm familiar with is from Bath & Body Works and I never really cared for it because it was just so subtle and plain. I smelled it again last fall when I bought some for a friend for Christmas (it's her favorite) and I just couldn't understand why anyone would like freesia. I decided to see what BPAL Freesia SN smells like just in case it smelled better than I expected. Wow, am I ever surprised by this scent! It's completely different from B&BW Freesia, thankfully! When first applied, Freesia SN is very bright and green and almost like a lighter, more palatable version of Dandelion SN. As it dries, it gets an almost pineapple-like quality to it. Not just pineapple fruit, but the whole thing -- the fruit, the outer shell and even the little green pineapple topper leaves. This scent reminds me of driving through Hawaii near one of the huge pi neapple plantations. How strange, as I would have never ever thought of that association prior to smelling this. Sadly, the throw completely fades upon dry-down and the scent is completely gone within 30 minutes of application.

In the bottle: Floral, fruity, and tart - almost exotic or tropical, like lychee or pineapple - but with fresh, green, leafy notes and white, pure florals.

Wet: Stronger, but much the same. Very bright and still quite fruity, in a tangy way that reminds me almost of rosehip -oh! and tart apple, most definitely. Crisp & juicy - like pink lady apples.

Dry: Dries quickly, and begins to fade even more quickly.The crisp edge and disctinct apple note is pretty much gone. It's still green and a juicy, though. Floral note reminds me of crocus.

Later: Juicy apple, exotic lychee, tart rosehip - these fruits sort of merge into a guava-like scent balanced perfectly by the green-floral elemets. A very complex yet coherent conception of freesia that I can barely believe is a SN.

Summary: Hyacinth, crocus, cyclamen, & rose create a slightly heady, shining green/white/fresh floral, along with aforementioned fruit. This is how I can describe this scent, even if they're not actual components. Low throw & dismal lasting power.

Oh, how I wish I had enough to slather as this requires! And an actual proper bottle.

This is different than other freesia's I've tried. It start out tart, crisp, green, watery, slightly heady floral, with an underlying tropical feel. I don't get any sweetness. It settled into crisp tart apple and watery florals.

Tart, crisp, watery floral. Slightly fruity. I have to say that this does not play well with my skin and ends up smelling oddly like the fake floral scent of some nail polish remover.