Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rainbow

Thalia

Plumeria, pear and white champagne.

In the bottle: Hmm, I smell a citrus smell, there is no citrus in this. Also get the plumeria. Not sure this is going to work on me. Florals and I tend not to get along, or if we do, it is a rare one that I want to wear.

Wet: still citrus, where is my pear you rascal? Floral loviness that is plumeria. Uh oh, I am starting to get that "funk" smell I tend to get with florals, particularly jasmine and paperwhites. Houston, we could have a problem! :D

Dry down: the whole thing gets sweeter, including the citrus smell. *sigh* pear a pear, my kingdom for a pear! :P Stupid nose, this scent is registering as grapefruit now. The "funk" is gone, YAY! :D I like this, despite smelling grapfruit instead of pear.

30 minutes: a lovely citrus floral. I am wondering if my nose is registering the pear and champagne together as citrus, because it is "bubbly." This is a lovely light Summery scent. Toward the end it almost smelled of peaches. I might get more of this for Summer. For those of you who don't wear florals like me, you might give this a try anyway.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.

In the imp: pear pear pear! a very white, clean smell.

On me, wet: ..and it's all over my desk. Gee, I hope I like this smell. It still smells primarily of pear - I don't like the taste of pears but I like the scent, so this is good.

On me, dry: It's sweetened up just a *little* so now it's more like juicy tinned pears than fresh ones, but it's still fairly clean and white-smelling. I don't get much of the champagne (though I think it's stopping this from becoming too sweet). I have no idea what plumeria is or if I can smell it, but I don't think so.

Verdict: I'm sure I'll be sick of the smell if my desk continues to smell of it for days, but otherwise it's a lovely fresh-smelling fruity scent that doesn't actively make me hungry.

Before I even try this one, I'm going to predict that it won't work. Plumeria and my skin are not friendly.

In the imp, Thalia is exactly what the description claims. It's a pretty, light, sweet scent that just smells happy. On me, it smells the same, just with the florals amped. Detergent city, but I can smell the prettiness lurking underneath it.

Just as I thought. Curse you, plumeria! I have a friend whom I'm gonna try to enable with this one, though.

Ooh, after about ten minutes the plumeria fades and the sparkly pear comes to the front. I didn't expect that! The pretty, it is back. Hmm, maybe this one will stick around after all.

In the imp: Eek, sour floral. :P

Wet on me: Still mostly sour but a bit muted now.

Drydown: The plumeria blooms and the tart pear adding fruity sweetness.

Verdict: Meh, the drydown is pretty but I'm not exactly wowed. Mostly turned off by the sour start.

Edited by mandragora

My body chemistry, what an odd thing that it is. To my nose, Thalia was a very, very sweet floral in the imp. I dabbed a bit on my skin and whoosh -- it blew up into a very strange scent. For some reason, it smells like a buttered floral on me, with certain pineapple-ish overtones. I kind of smelled like a pineapple upside-down cake sitting next to a bouquet of flowers. In any case, it wasn't me. I can see where it's a gorgeously sunny, girly scent on a lot of people, but it's just not my scene. Or my smell.

I received this as a frimp from the Lab :P

In the vial: sparkling sweet floral. Very pretty.

Wet: sweet and springy.

Dry: this scent morphed a lot on me. At first it was fruity, then it turned to sickly sweet floral, like over ripe fruit. I had high hopes for this, but it just didn't work on me.

I had to try this one twice. The first time I put a little dab on and I could barely smell anything! I smelled something fruity floral, but that was it and then it was gone.

So I tried it again. This time I put a lot more on and there's something in this that is disagreeing with my skin. I don't know what it is, because I thought I liked all 3 notes that are in this. I love all boozy scents, I like pears, I like plumeria or so I thought. But something turned really floral almost like jasmine and I'm guessing it's the plumeria that doesn't like me. Bleh. I didn't like it; I'm most likely selling/swapping out this one.

Plumeria seems to be one of a relatively few florals that really works for me, and Thalia is no exception.

It's a very sweet and fruity scent, but the champagne note lightens it a little, keeping it from being as crawl-up-my-nose sweet as the initial stage of Tamora, which strikes me as similar to Thalia but more golden. It's springlike and girly, and it is indeed a lighthearted scent... although too much of it in one dose might get a little cloying.

This is almost completely plumeria on me, with just the merest hint of effervescence.

Not for me.

In the bottle: sweet white floral juciness. Dries rather sickening. I love plumeria but this blend just does not work for me. The pear is overwhelmingly sweet, the champagne sours everything. There is also something powdery, like confectioners sugar lurking underneath.

In the bottle: A very light scent. Lightly fruity, lightly floral with something very slightly edgy to it. Pear and plumeria.

On my skin: Wet, it's... weird. I don't have a clue what it smells like, but it's not plumeria, pear or white champagne. Actually, scratch that. I know exactly what it smells like; one of those smelly markers... the lemon one. Dry, it's becoming a bit less of a marker and more of a slightly floral smell with a fruity edge to it. It's fading very quickly.

Final Thoughts: Fades too fast on me. Which is unfortunate because it was turning out to be a fairly nice, light scent.

Smells like a citrus-y candy! Sweet, but not too strong. My boyfriend kept trying to eat my arm where I had put it on. LOL. I really liked this one!

I’ll give it a four out of 5!

Wearing this was a sort of floral with sweet fruit, but something reminded me of creaminess and depth... I'm not sure about smelling champagne when it's on my skin, but I guess it must be the champagne giving it the depth. It's a lovely little scent, IMO.

Sparkling pear with quite a strong, soapy floral, which must be the heliotrope.

The pear is juicy and bright, which is how I like my fruit, but the heliotrope is making this too strong and in-your-face for my liking. Florals tend to be tricky on me, so I'm not really surprised.

One for the swap pile.

mmmmmm sweetness. This reminds me of a face wash I had in the eighth grade. I loved the way it smelled. I would've guessed that there is some gardenia in here, but it isn't one of the notes. The pear comes out a little later. It changes on my skin and gets a little bit chemical smelling. I wish it stayed more like the beginning on me. After a while it gets slightly buttery. Strange

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

Preconceptions: I loves me some pear. Booze ... eh. Not typically a winner.

Wet: heavy on the plumeria, which settles down quickly. Innocent and sweet.

Drying: it has that booze note that reminds me of Spencer's Gifts. Where's the pear?

Instantaneous Love!

Such a beautiful smell. The plumeria and pear are surprisingly similar, I'd never thought they would be until this mix. I love plumeria as it is, but with the crisp and warm smell of the pear it is just perfect. Light, but lasting, and reminiscent of early summer afternoons. Like someone else said, the champagne doesn't seem to come though as bubbly, more along the lines of a nice white wine.

Thalia = pear-based white wine while wearing a lei in the still cool early afternoon of a summer day.

Whoah Nellie! Realllly sweet! I think the floral was too much for me and completely knocked out the pear sadly. It smells like really heavy lilacs and baby powder on me. Oh, well.

Thalia is a complete heartbreaker. I put her on behind my ears, in my hair, on my wrists, in the crooks of my elbows, and on my neck and I STILL can't smell her. There's a faint floral coming from the imp, but that's it. I was sent this by a friend, and there's another coming from the lab. Perhaps that one will smell like something? Mine is quite literally unscented. :P

On opening the imp: overripe pear, nice! Pear when it has just begun to turn alcoholic (and why do I know that smell?)

On drying: floral, very nice, but body chemistry is giving this a metallic edge. Will try Thalia on another day, as I really like pears.

When I sniffed this in the vial, I couldn't distinguish it from Titania - it was sort of a generic "iced fruits" scent. It really warmed up on my skin, though, and the pear scent is beautiful - ripe, autumnal, maybe even a little bit spiced. It doesn't have much throw. It just sticks around for a long time and allows me to keep sniffing my wrist and smiling.

Thalia - Oh, now this is so fresh, and fruity and pretty! When I put it on, a light, bubbly, fruity-floral scent fills the entire room. My skin smells so good that I can’t stop sniffing my arms and I tell myself I need to add this to the list of bottles I should buy. And then, 10 minutes later, it’s gone. GONE!!! Not a trace. I haven’t had a BPAL fruity-floral disappear on me. This is the first time. Unfortunately, It doesn’t last on my skin at all.

Wow. This was a frimp and am I ever grateful! Thank you, Lab!

First off, right out of the bottle while still sitting in the post office parking lot, I sniffed it and thought..."This is happy. It makes me feel happy." Which just proves Black Phoenix's genius, because at that point I hadn't read the description so it was obviously not psychological. When I got home and read it, the light bulb went off. "Oooh! Ok, so it's MEANT to be happy!". :D

It really works. Cheers me right up whether I like it or not----very comparable in it's sparkly cheeriness to Fae. A+ on this one and a future bottle purchase. :P

As far as notes, I can't smell the champagne, but the plumeria and pear are about equal. It's not too sweet. Just fresh and fruity (I'm not normally overly fond of fruity) with a feel of something different.

I tried Thalia w/o reading previous reviews and got the impression of a fruity blend; guessing peach or apricot. The fruit was pear, and perhaps the additional sweetness is from the plumeria.

Thalia is too sweet for me to wear everyday, but does evoke summer and sweet syrupy fruit.

Hmm. Plumeria, is it? I thought that scent was gardenia until I looked at the notes. This is a very yellow oil, and it smells like a very yellow flower. The pear gives it a nice crispness, and the champagne gives it a bit of a sparkle. Over all I like it, it's just a little more flowery than what I usually wear. This is one of the BPAL blends that doesn't suit me personally but that I find quite pretty. I also think it would be nice layered with one of the grapefruit scents.