Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rainbow

Thalia

THALIA: Good Cheer. Plumeria, pear and white champagne. (Gender neutral)

In Bottle: Very light fruity champagne.

On Skin: Wow, my skin literally drinks this. It soaked right in and my skin is dry within seconds. So, yes it is a light scent on me. The plumeria is the strongest scent… very Bath and Body Works like. The champagne gives it a sparkle and the pear is faint yet sweet. Oh it is so pretty, I just wish it was stronger. I need a pear scent and this would be a great one if it stuck around longer!

In bottle:

Plumeria and a bright, white smell. If I didn't know better, I'd say there were lilies in this.

On me:

Apparently, my chemistry hates pears, because this is the second scent I've tried with pear in it where I was unable to smell the pear. After about 5 minutes, I think I smell a slight hint of pear, something just the tiniest bit fruity. But then it's gone. Mostly just smells like floral and champagne on me.

Final note:

In the long run, I'm left only smelling champagne, and it's making me a bit dizzy. I don't care for this, but I think if someone's body chemistry would make the pear come out more, it could be a really lovely scent.

EDIT: Half an hour later, and it's all plumeria now. Someone mentioned above that it made them think of the Bath and Body Works plumeria, and that's what I get from it too.

Edited by Brianne

As I continue through all those imps of mine...

Thalia. In the bottle it was cheery and fruity. I smiled just at the smell of it. It stayed pretty fruity, with a hint a champagne for awhile.

Now, a few hours later though - its just generic floral. I wish it had held on to more of it's original fruity bounciness.

Not bad, I just don't like the dry down at all.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sparkling pear.

In the imp/bottle: Bright, beautiful pear and champagne.

On skin, wet: The pear and champagne are still the dominant notes, but I do notice a wee hint of plumeria.

On skin, dry: Still very sweet; almost sugary. I don't know why, but this seems a very "happy" scent.

Conclusion: Very, very nice. It is, however, very feminine. I love the scent, but once again, I don't make a usual point of smelling of fruit.

Edited by Aredhel

Plumeria and pear. As it dries, the champagne emerges, adding a bit of sparkle.

This was nice juicy pear in the imp, with a little sweet floral backing it. Florals aren't my favorite, but in the imp I thought I might really like Thalia.

On me, though, it immediately swelled to an overwhelmingly sweet floral that made my nose itch. I had to wash it off. In fact, I think I need to go wash it off some more.

I believe the culprit is plumeria. Unless I'm mistaken, it's the same thing as frangipani (lei flower), which is in Delight. I had the same reaction to Delight.

Oh well. Off to the swaps.

This was a freebie and I had no idea what notes were in it, so I tried to guess. I was only half-right; I thought it was pear and some kind of wood, maybe rosewood. I don't get the champagne note at all, though now that I know it's there, I do smell the plumeria at the edges. But on the whole this is a bright pear scent, a very summer day type of perfume. I'll use my imp but it's probably not a big bottle scent for me.

I wasn't near a computer to check the description when I tried Thalia on, and what I smelled was gardenia and peach. That is, super-sweet Southern floral with some boozy fruit. Now I see I was right about the sweet floral + fruit, just wrong about which kinds. :D Thalia does indeed smell like "good cheer"--in fact it's a little too perky for me. It's like a cheerleader jumping up and down telling you to be happy (:P), and I'm more melancholic than that myself.

Thalia smells *golden* to me; very rich and syrupy to the point of almost being *buttery*; I swear there was a moment when I smelled...popcorn! :D I think something in here is being weird with my chemisty, and I would bet on the plumeria--champagne was great on me in Bon Vivant, and pear was fine in Titania, but something is amiss here.

Well, I'm grateful to Velvet for letting me swap for it and give it a try, but it'll be a re-swap.

Thalia is definitely a "good cheer" type of scent. Delicate and sparkling with the pear and champagne, and the plumeria gives a bit of a floral that matches the airiness.

Sweet, almost syrupy, but the sparkle of the champagne saves it from cloyingly sweet. Thalia's delicately lovely, and serves as a beautiful counterpoint to Aglaea.

Good cheer indeed!

As others have noted, this is bright, bubbly, and happy. I mostly smell pear, with the plumeria adding a lovely floral note. It's also a bit "sparkly," which I think is the champagne (but it doesn't smell boozy). This is a wonderful scent for summer or happy occasions. It's going on my big-bottle list. :P

Mmm. This is really beautiful.

I get a lot of plumeria, particularly when it's wet. The pear starts to join in on the drydown, which gives the scent this amazing mix of floral and fruit. It's strong, but pleasant enough that I wouldn't be afraid to wear this in a crowded elevator.

This is just a lovely, girly scent - very young and fresh.

In bottle: Crystalline. D'Anjou pear and plumeria blossoms. This is a very bright fragrance, light but sparkling.

On me: On the skin, plumeria erupts into prominance. The champagne gives the notes a bubbly feeling, although the bubbles aren't nearly as potent as Bon Vivant. This is a very 'cute' fragrance; it is the sort of thing I expect a giggling little girl to wear, vs. a sexy woman in a low-cut red dress. Very happy and a bit innocent.

Definitely the personification (scentification?) of Good Cheer.

On me, this blend stays very true to its listed notes. I usually stay away from florals, but I like plumeria, and mixed together with the pear and champagne, it smells very juicy and fresh without becoming overly sweet. I think that this blend is sophisticated enough to be a good scent for a warm summer evening.

Fresh fruity floral.

Mmm, for some reason this was in my to be swapped pile? I don't know if I tried it and didn't like it or if I have two floating around, but I'm glad I tried it before adding it in.

It is a fresh fruity floral. The plumeria is a sweet floral scent on me, very tropical. The pear is fresh and lovely, sweet without being overpowering. The champagne adds a sense of bubbles to the blen, it is very cheering when worn.

This imp I am keeping, it is wonderful for summer. :P

Wet on me this is fresh, juicy plums, it's so pretty. Sadly it disappears so quickly, it's hardly worth the effort, which is a pity, because it's very pretty before it goes.

A very pretty, light feminine blend. Strong on the plumeria at first(which I prefer in candles or room scents), and then the pear takes over. Very fresh and bright feeling, but pears...meh, not on my list of favorite fruits or scents.

Nice enough but not for me.

"Thalia"

This one was a frimp, muchas gracias!

I like the way this one smells in the bottle, all pear and champagne sparkle. But almost immediately after I put it on, it was GONE!! Completely!! Very strange :P

Oh well, I'll have to try this one another day. Maybe when my horrormones aren't so stirred up.

This is a cheerful scent, very fruity.

I have no idea what plumeria is, so I can’t comment on that, but the sweet, juicy pear comes out very well. I guess plumeria smells fruity too, because this really is a fruity scent. The champagne gives the fruit a sparkly base and tones down the fruityness. It’s not a cloying scent.

Overall, I think this is still too fruity and sweet for me, but I think I’ll keep the imp.

Interesting. Thalia is one of the scents I was most hoping to try, and I even ordered a bottle of it unsniffed. I was sure I'd love it.

And I do. It's just not what I expected at all.

The pear isn't out front for me - in fact, I only get flashes of pear at most. (After this and Endymion, I'm wondering if my skin doesn't play nicely with pear. Which is a shame, as I love pear.) What's dominant is what I'm guessing has to be the plumeria. It's a floral, but a touch - warmer? Spicier? - than I was anticipating. There's a flatness of tone to it that I think I really like.

The champagne is rounding it out and making it a touch fruity and sparkly and light. This isn't light in the giddy-hyperactive way that Fae or Forbidden Fruit were for me - it's not light in a way that I'd say makes it young-girl as opposed to young-woman-ish. It's just higher than some of the sandalwood-y blends I love, like Kuang Shi.

Hubby said this blend smells more like an actual perfume than a lot of the other scents do, which is an interesting take on it, and I'm not sure how he meant it, but I can see it.

I'm glad I ordered the bottle. This is DEFINITELY on my Top Ten and Must Have list. It's just not a new !!!FAVORITE!!! the way I thought it was going to be.

Ah, Thalia, don't take that the wrong way. I do still love you so. :P

in the bottle: overpowering plumeria and wine.

wet on skin: I was really hoping for a pretty pear scent, but I seem to have missed the train on that one. Plumeria is the dominant one in this imp and I'm not terribly happy about it.

dry: no chance to. I washed it off.

thalia.jpg

After falling in love with Aglaea, and liking Euphrosyne a great deal, I had to try Thalia to finish my exploration of the 3 Graces. She is very pretty, floral and graceful but she certainly doesn't have the Grand Original Beauty of Aglaea or the Extreme Flower Weaving Prettiness of Euphrosyne. A great example of the White Flower BPAL scents, perhaps a White Flower fan would find tons of personality here. I liked it but didn't go for it like her two sisters. So, I am going to put her back in the swap circle and see if she can find a great home.

Edited by olympia301

I will start this review off by saying I am NOT a white floral kinda girl (personality or skin chemistry-wise) and yet Thalia has managed to impress me.

In the imp she doesn't smell like much... a dry, perfumey kind of vague scent. On the skin she starts off sweet and almost syrupy (the champagne, don't ask) combined with rich pear. Between all this I started to get flashes of an almost gardenia-like scent, but better (I presume this is the plumeria). There is also a rich vanilla-esque haze hanging over this blend and every now and then a hint of coconut. Thalia manages to be a perfect balance (on my skin) of floral, warm, and edible.

A definite winner and perfect spring/summer scent, especially when I'm feeling girly.

Gimp from the lab...

In the imp: Very sweet floral with an almost grapey tinge, but more of a dry, white grape, not wet or "winey". I'm pretty sure I won't love this one.

Wet: Nope, not loving this one. Very sweet and clean and the champagne note is lovely and blends well with the pear and floral. I am sure I would have liked this on a girl when I was a bit younger. A very youthful, girly fragrance.

Dry: More of the same. Very well balanced scent. Nothing really amps up on me, but also not really anything I really love love love.

Overall: I think I will be gifting this one to my mother, who likes sweet, fun scents like this. While it is lovely, I just can't see myself wearing it ever. Too floral and sweet for my taste.

Edited by BlueStar

As someone who doesn't really like florals, I was skeptical. However, when Beth puts fruit or wine in a blend I have to try it, even if there are florals involved. This is a very crisp, dry scent on me. It's very well blend and it does give me happy feelings when I smell it. On the drydown it starts to smell a bit too much like plumeria to me, and that's when I say enough. I love the combination of pear and champagne, but when the plumeria comes out it smells like shampoo (which is not bad, shampoo is supposed to smell good! :P ) and that just reminds me of days spent working in a hair salon when I smelled like hair products 24/7.

Bottle (Imp): Smooth, perhaps a touch of fruit.

Just On: Pretty and smooth.

An hour or two later: Fading fast, but still pretty.

Around 6 hours: It's all gone. Too strange.

12 hours: Uh yeah, still gone.

Overall: I liked what there was of it, but it certainly left quickly.

After reading other reviews: I can see where the fruit scent comes from, and the champagne must be the smooth part. I can really see this as good cheer.