Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rainbow

Thalia

Plumeria, pear and white champagne.

This smells really lovely in the imp--bright juicy pears, sweet plumeria, and fizzy champagne. Alas, my skin hates BPAL's champagne note and it turned to plastic as soon as I applied it. I was half-expecting this to happen, so I'm not too broken up about it, but it would have been so nice otherwise.

I've never been a fruity-floral person. I decided to try this due to my love for plumeria and frangipani.

Sadly, I don't get the plumeria scent I'm so used to smelling in childhood near my school.

From start to finish, it's bright pear, generic flowers and plastic.

Thoughts before testing: I'm so excited to try this one! Plumeria, pear, champagne: this should be a good time all the way around!

Wet: Beautiful! A burst of champagne and pear.

Dry down: The plumeria is dominating this now, but not in a bad way at all because I love plumeria. Just a hint of pear in the background.

Dry: This dries into almost a single note plumeria on me. This is beautiful and perfect for the summer heat.

Final thoughts: I love this so hard. It's bright and summery and I loves it :D It also lasts a surprisingly long time: it's been about 6 hours and still going strong!

Verdict: Bottle!

Edited by Alethia

Imp: pear all pear.

Wet: pear, and floral.

Drydown: the champagne comes out now.

Dry: pears, champagne, and flowers.

Overall: I love it. This is a very pretty, happy, summer scent. It really woke me up this morning, and helped put me in a good mood(not a morning person).

Imp: Pear 1st, then champagne (without smelling *too* bubbly).

Wet: There's the plumeria coming out to be louder to play with the pear. The champagne is sitting further back, a very gentle sparkle.

Dry: Lovely! Plumeria (not too "floral") is the first runner, and very pretty. Next to line up with it is the pear, which is so lovely as a fruit that's not too sweet, not too loud, very nice. The champagne seems to faded away, but it's not really missed. The two showing lead scents are really doing a beautiful job on their own!

I rate this a 4 star (of 5).

I have wanted to try this one from the first time i read the notes and i am not disapponited.

Gorgeous, happy cheer wrapped in a scent... it's sweetly clean giddiness when compared to the more vivacious party-cheer of Twenty One... but alas, I favor Twenty One as it has more of a kick.

Thalia is maybe a bit too sweet for me yet... it remains deliciously appealing. This is an oil to wear with pride during happy days.

Final verdict: 3/5

I got this as a frimp from the lab. I was not sure if I'd like it, because light scents can go soapy on me, and I like scents that are spicy, dark, and complex for the most part.

In the bottle: slightly sweet, a little boozy (must be the champagne?)

Wet on skin: holy gorgeous! Was not expecting this to smell this good. I can really smell the plumeria sweetened up by the pear and given a little sharp kick from the champagne. Very feminine but still kind of sexy.

Dry on skin: stays about the same but gets slightly warmer. Smells sort of like a better version of an expensive perfume because it has a decent throw for a lighter scent. This would be a perfect day date or even everyday scent in the warmer months.

My light scent go to is Persephone but this gives her a run for her money!

Edited by venusinfurs

In Vitro Tested blind. In the imp this was slightly sharp, light, and citrusy/floralish.

Wet Floral/fruity and more bright than sharp. My first guess was Thalia because it definitely smelled like white blossoms, possibly plumeria.

Drying Nine minutes on it was fading floral with the tiniest hint of soap. Quite nice, actually.

I was apprehensive because of the champagne note but it caused no trouble at all and in fact may have contributed the "bright" quality. Thalia is a lovely light blend but it fades fast on me, not surprising given its similarity to Pele. Still, I might take a chance on a bottle.

Normally, I don't like fruit and flowers together. But this...this is citrusy, fruity, floral perfection on me. Such a happy, bright scent! I get no white wine or champagne at all,(which is just fine with me).

One of my favorite warm-weather, driving around with the top down scents.

In the imp: A sweet fruity blend, a little green around the edges too. It's fresh and a little effervescent, which must be the champagne.

Wet on skin: Wow - this is pretty! It's spring like florals, with a backdrop of light fruit. The plumeria is very pronounced, while the pear gives it that little bit of juiciness.

Drydown: Soft plumeria and a touch of pear ... I think I am getting a bubble or two of champagne in there, but it may just be my imagination. This drys down very soft on my skin, not too much throw or staying power - but then again, I only put a dab or so on, I didn't drench myself.

This scent is so evocative for me. When I smell this, I think of an elegant outdoor wedding, with the afternoon sun shining on gossamer fabric and delicate flowers. Such a romantic feeling.

I think If you like light and sweet florals, give this a go; even if you're not into florals, this may be a gateway scent. It's floral, but not powdery or overwhelming - this is lovely, fresh and sweet.

At first, Thalia smells “white” and vaguely powdery, almost like a floral bathroom plug-in freshener. I was hoping for more of a boozy pear experience. Maybe the plumeria is just pretty strong. With wear, the bathroomness fades and it becomes more pleasantly floral. I wish I could say I’ve smelled plumeria blooms in real life, but I haven’t so I can’t confidently claim that Thalia turns into a more realistic floral fragrance (or maybe it doesn’t). I basically don’t get any pear or champagne after the opening.

I’d describe this as fresh, light and springy. It is not by any means a heady scent, but will definitely waft around with movement. Although not quite “me”, Thalia is a very pretty and feminine fragrance.

P.S. I’m so glad I’ve got Thalia on one arm to counter the unfortunate wrath of Lilith I’ve subjected myself to on the other, haha! This really is a bright scent. : )

EDIT: I wanted to add that my experience with white florals is not usually a very positive one. Often, I get the feeling that something fecal is lurking in the background. This does not happen with Thalia. At all. For me, this is an ideal example of what a white floral should be.

Edited by Pumpkinn

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Plumeria.

Wet: Plumeria and pear. Fruity and sweet.

This is really just plumeria and pear on me. I don’t get the white champagne at all. I wish I did, because I enjoy the champagne note in Bon Vivant. Thalia reminds me a little of an 80s perfume called Demi-Jour, which must also have had fruit and flower notes, because I remember getting the same impression from Titania. It’s sweet, though not in an overly young way; cheerful, as the name suggests, and very suitable for summer. It fades after a few hours.

Although I haven’t worn anything with plumeria in years, when I was in college in the 90s, I used to love Bath and Body Works plumeria-scented lotion. Thanks for reminding me of that, Lab! I’ll be keeping and using Thalia on hot summer days like today.

i was just going through my imp box and apparently i tried this but never reviewed it, so here goes. i definitely get mostly champagne and plumeria, and the pear is a little more subtle, but plumeria is also a bold floral. this is sweet and effervescent, pretty much the opposite of what i mostly wear ;) when i was younger i really liked plumeria though, so i have a soft spot for this. it would be nice in spring or summer, however for me, i think i am really amping the plumeria and it's a bit too strong, so it will have to be swapped.

First sniff - overwhelming white floral

On the skin - strong white floral and pear

Does not smell like any plumeria I have stuck my nose in, but perhaps that is the distraction from the pear and champagne.

Lovely and delighted to have a frimp of this.

45 minutes later- oh, goodness! This has softened into the loveliest nonpowdery floral...yes, closer to the real deal plumeria!

Edited by Minh Scent

Lovely blooms and fruit with a fulsome champagne flute sitting next to them, this is defintely my favoite Grace! Might have to see how it ages in a bottle though, the imp doesn't do it justice, aging in a bottle may improve it yet more still.

Wet: Something tingly that makes me want to sneeze. Then fruityness. Something like peach? Peach-bossom then? Fruit and floral are very close under the tingle. Too much of whatever the floral is- it's a squat, bulbous floral like jasmine with a bad hair day. I feel like this really needs something grounding in here. It ends up a little too sour too...

Dry: Just not for me. Yeah, too sweet, too sour, too sweaty and pushy. Looking at the notes (pear?? really? huh.) I think Champagne might not be my thing.

If you like Bon Vivant or maybe Lolita, you may like this (and vice versa, certainly).

Wet: Tea with milk. And kind of buttery. huh? This is supposed to be Pear and Champagne!

Dry: I can for sure smell the pear now, but the main note is butter. Weird. Glad I retested this, as it was on my "Potential bottles to buy" list. Not so much!

In the imp: in-your-face white floral, but one I woudn't have placed as plumeria. With something lightly citrusy and bubbly in the background - champagne probably. This smells both joyous and clean.

Wet: still mostly white floral/plumeria. I don't get much pear out of this. This smells a bit *too* sharp and clean, like detergent.

Dry: smells like nondescript fancy soap on me.

Lasting power: it hangs around for a long time - I can still smell it on my skin 6-8 hours later.

Heh. Sniffing this one in the imp, I thought I'd love it, but alas, it was not to be.

Edited by Kmye

On me this is almost a duplicate of the fabulous Twenty-One. Fizz and gin. Positively delicious, but I already have a bottle of Twenty-One. I get no flowers or fruit, which is a little sad, because "plumeria and pear" sounded really interesting.

Frimp. The champagne and pear team up on my skin to remind me of the smell of almost-ripe Concord grapes, on the vine in summer. Plumeria isn't distinct to me. I read it as "flowers and herbs."

This stays the same all during wear: fruit on top, flowers & herbs underneath.

Nice, and will probably smell fantastic on someone else.

A sweet and fruity scent with a touch of flora. Usually I like the champagne note a lot, but this smelled more like grape on me than fermented grapes.

I was gifted this imp by a friend who knew I liked BPAL’s champagne note! <3

In the vial: I can see where people get a soapy impression from the champagne note, it definitely has a clean edge, at least in the vial!

Wet: Initial blast of champagne (a dry, sparkly, unsweet grapey note) and pear.

Eventually the plumeria starts to come out as well - a soft, pretty, understated white floral note more along the lines of magnolia rather than a loud tuberose or a sugary sweet orange blossom. The champagne note keeps this dry and fizzy-bubbly rather than syrupy sweet.

This is very linear from bottle to drydown - other than the plumeria note coming out more strongly as it dries down, the scent changes very little. It’s a sparkly bright floral, really beautiful - the plumeria note is prominent but not overly loud, and the pear isn’t too sweet, probably thanks to the dry sparkliness of the champagne note. This will be beautiful for summertime!