Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Pikaki

This is the light, inoffensive, barely-soapy white floral that I've been sniffing in several of the latest blends. It's jasmine without being overpoweringly so, and sweeter to my nose. Very tropical.

No headache-inducing properties, either.

EDIT: It's Pikaki on the site, so I changed the topic title (from Pikake) so it's easily findable. --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

mmm lovely when first applied. Sweet, florally smell but not over-the-top. To me the top-notes are tiny, pretty flowers; violets, primroses, snowdrops but the base is heavier, still floral but jasmine, stephanotis, gardenia and flowers like that.

I find this smell stunning, a sort of spring moving onto a tropical summer. I am in love; this is wonderful and lasts for hours.

Edited by allamanda

This Pikake is one of the best I've tried, sweet but not overly so, and relatively low-key. A lot of perfumes with Pikake are so sweet they make my teeth ache (e.g. Child) but BPAL's is more reserved. It also has a little green note to it, as well, which makes it smell more like the plant.

I mix it with Pele to get my perfect Hawaiian smell!!

This is a beautiful light tropical floral. It is just ever so slightly sweet, ever so slightly green... subtly gorgeous.

The only problem? It fades away to nothing after just a half hour. I am excited to explore the layering possibilities, however!

Pikaki

This is a very clean white floral. Subtle but beautiful, and not cloyingly sweet like some pikaki scents. It's jasmine at first but fades into what smells like lilac. I wish it lasted a little longer, it seems like it's gone as quickly as it's applied.

I picked this single note exclusively on the way 'pee-kaah-keeee!' bounces off my tongue. If that's not even how to pronouce the name, I apologize.

In bottle: Sweet sweet floral. Reminds me somewhat of jasmine, but whiter and cleaner.

On me: This must be one of the notes that is often lumped into the 'white florals' category. It is very gentle, light and feminine. It also seems to have an extremely short life span, and fades surprisingly fast.

at first: very soft. vaguely sweet. lovely. a bit floral.

on: a sweet, powdery, almost candy-like flower.

1.5 hours later: lighter, but still powdery and sweet.

9 hours later: very soft and powdery, like candy.

overall: i'm glad i got to try this, but i'm not sure i'll be keeping it.

This was a very white but bright floral. Almost acquatic to my nose. I really like it but I can pass it on to the next person to try this.

Sweet and strong floral, I really love this one!

I need more! Gallons!

Edited by quimerula

In the imp: soft floral.

On me: I always thought that I was, in no way, a floral person. At least not overt florals. But this one is beautiful. Very soft and a little powdery. And I like powdery. Surprisingly, I like this.

Pikaki - from the Single Note swap circle

In the bottle: A light, white floral with a hint of greenery.

On me: A little stronger - still a white floral, almost soapy. It fades almost immediately on me, blending more into the skin, with just a touch of floral.

It's pretty, and much lighter than most of the white florals. I wouldn't go out of my way to get this in a blend, but it certainly wouldn't stop me! :P

Pikaki to me is a tangy floral, very much in a candy-like way. I think maybe my skin is doing its periodic "turn everything to licorice" thing today, because it's doing that to this a little bit. It's very nice, but not me.

Via the single note swap circle.

This is another I might mistake as honeysuckle at first blush. But after that it turns very clean, with a yellow tinge, evoking jasmine a little. That fades a bit, turning it more white than yellow. Not sure if the headache coming on is from it or from just getting home from work. Airy, barely there, with a gentle waft. Very pretty, but not my favorite of the florals (see Hyssop and Calla Lilly for that--but then again, I'm not a floral person to begin with).

In the vial, this oil is sweet and tropical without being oppressive. Upon application it amps up a little, though not a great deal...it is still not what I would describe as "heavy". It reminds me a bit of honeysuckle, but not as cloying. Pikaki has a very clean feeling to it. After drydown, it remains light, clean, and sweet, with a subtle pale-fruit quality. I don't recognize this not specifically from any of the blends I have tried, but I would be willing to bet that this note is one of the "white floral" notes in Jessica McClintock No. 1.

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Tarted, won in Ebay auction.

This is the first time I have ever smelled this scent, and it is quite intriguing! I seem to get a combination of a beautiful floral, combined with tropical fruits and coconut! The colour coral comes to mind.

All in all, this must be what Hawaii smells like! Now I want to go (not that I didn't before). This is really lovely and I know someone else will love to get their hands on it. :-)

Edited by Lori

119603709.jpg

Pikaki is a small off white Hawaiian flower. Either the closed or open flowers are treasured for decorating Lei's.

In the bottle

Lovely and light, tropical smelling floral.

On

Lovely and creamy sweet floral, yet has a slight crisp bite to it. It reminds me of honeysuckle mixed with Jasmine but Pikaki is not as strongly scented as those two.

30 minutes

Doesnt' morph at all, still a beautiful exotic smelling floral.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

At first it's almost subdued and creamy and then it becomes more fresh and crisp smelling as it dries.

Purchase again?

Yes. I love this. I like it better than most Jasmine I've smelled.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

When I first received my imp of this, I didn't even know what Pikaki was :P. I actually thought this was a fruit and not a floral. Anyhow. Enough about my ignorance.

First on, this smelled like a lighter, sweeter version of jasmine. I *really* hate jasmine, but this is actually rather pleasant. Light jasmine, dusted with powdered sugar, and mixed with a creamier floral. That's what Pikaki smells like to me. It has a slightly crisp, clean smell in the drydown.

Very warm, tropical floral.

This disappears completely on me within an hour, but it's rather nice while it lasts.

Reviewing this before I send it off to a better home. I always thought it would smell like the tropical Calgon spritzes: heady, creamy, tropical floral. Instead, Pikaki is a light, clean, white floral that's slightly sweet. The three main words I would use to describe it would have to be tropical, sweet, and light. It gets slightly creamy after a while, but still maintaining the clean impression. It would make a glorious detergent, since it's so clean and sweet, with the faint tropical undertones.

Pikaki - I’ve been so curious about this scent, because it’s my understanding that pikaki is a tropical flower that smells similar to jasmine. Or perhaps it’s the tropical version of jasmine. Something like that. Anyway, jasmine rarely works on me, but I don’t have trouble with pikaki in blends by any manufacturer, so I wanted to smell this on its own. I’m so glad I did. Pikaki is gorgeous! It’s a sweet, white floral that’s very jasmine-like without being as strong or heady as jasmine. It’s also very tropical and is making me really wistful for the Hawaiian Islands right now. This is such a lovely floral that I’d love to see Beth use it in more and more of her blends (as a substitute for jasmine, please!) I'm wondering if DSH or anyone puts out a pikaki single note that's this lovely. I think I'm going to go do some online searching right now. I need a bottle of this...or something close to it!

Pikaki SN

In the imp: a slightly sharp, yet wet and very tropical white flower. Very much like jasmine.

Wet on skin: a sharp, but also much wetter, softer and fresher floral scent.

Dry: oh, this is very pretty. It smells like jasmine, but more tropical and damp, definitely a Hawaiian scent. Soft white crisp flowers with smooth petals covered in dewdrops. So pretty. It reminds me of fresh jasmine blossoms, but less sultry and heady than most-this is fresher and wetter.

After a while: the sharpness fades completely and now the scent is a beautifully creamy, almost fruity-musky jasmine scent. smooth, soft, and beautiful, nothing bitter or biting about this white flower…and I can safely say this is jasmine sambac because this smells very much like the jasmine in Kanishta now, except without all the other notes in that scent. It also reminds me of tiare gardenia, or frangipani, it’s very much an ‘island flower’ scent.

The drydown after a few hours isn’t as nice as the fresher stages, it smells like dry flower petals with an earthy and dirty undertone, but it’s not as acridly green as some white floral notes become on drydown.

Verdict: this is a very pretty exotic floral scent. I’m sure this is jasmine sambac because it reacts the same way as the sambac blends to-starts off piercing and sharp but then smoothes to an almost creamy white floral scent which is beautiful and tropical, a true island bloom. This is the kind of jasmine I like-despite it’s slightly biting scent at the start, it goes smooth and soft yet heady and floral, not the other way round like some jasmine scents do. This is delightful if worn alone but I’m sure it would be just as lovely when layered. I’m glad I have an imp or so of this rare and gorgeous floral-it’s a holiday in Hawaii in a little vial.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes!

To me, Pikaki starts as a bright, exotic floral with very fruit overtones. It's tropical and creamy, while a white floral. As it dries, it acquires a slight jasmine/ylang ylang overlay to it -slightly biting, still heady and floral.

I prefer it on wet - when its lush and fruity. Not so much of a fan of the jasmine overlay.

A slightly honey-ish tropical floral. Sweet and clear and clean yet honeyed and heady. Creamy, slightly fruity, and damn beautiful on my skin. :wub: