Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

Mmmm, Aglaea is beautiful. She's rich, warm, comforting, and infinitely wearable. She's a golden hug, is what she is. The peach isn't at all the same as my old Body Shop Fuzzy Peach perfume, maybe because it's peach wine. I'm not familiar with myrtle or the different ambers so I have no idea what else it is that makes Aglaea so wonderful, but oh, she is. I've worn her on the hottest summer days and I think she'd also be perfect for winter days when you need a flush of warmth. This is one of those perfumes that makes me happy when I wear it- I have so many bottles already, and I have a very limited budget, but at some point I want a bottle of this. Mmmmm.

Edited to add the description. Edited by Shollin

Aglaea didn't smell sweet to me in the bottle at all, must have been the myrtle and ambers. On my skin it's amber with hints of myrtle and peach wine. It's getting sweeter and sweeter as it dries, but I think I preferred the scent when it was wet. Thankfully it sort of reached a pinnacle of sweetness and is coming back down now.

In the bottle: peaches that smell a little astringent/fake

Wet: Wow. How pretty! A bright pretty peachy scent. I’m totally surprised that the amber is so clean smelling too. My only encounter with amber was dark and cloying but this is bright and happy.

Dry: Still loving this. Smells like peach with a little warmth but bubbly and bright. I keep sniffing my arm.

Throw: Just normal for me. I might need to slather it on. I only used a little bit to test and it's fading.

Verdict: Winner for me. Smells like warm cuddly peach with a happy face!

As soon as I opened the imp a bright fruity scent hit me. Not straight fruit, but a fruit rendition. The scent reminds me a bit of some black currant pastilles I had in Denmark. Don't ask me why the peach wine smells so much like black currant to me. One of the nicer fruity BPALs so far.

imp: heady peachy musk. far more flowery than fruity. (i had to try this while my husband was out of the house because he gags when he smells peaches)

wet: the peach came out strong with the amber and everything else disappeared. (good thing he's still out)

dry: the peach mellowed out then faded to let the warm amber through. after a few hours it was mainly amber and musk with the braest remembrance of something peachy. the myrtle stayed in the background throughout. (let's see if he notices it when he gets home...)

(edit: he didn't mention a word about the peachy smell, told me it smelled 'nice' and i'm off to buy a bottle or two!)

Edited by hkhm

First on this is sweet and delicate and very fragile floral. Very pretty and quite happy actually. I can definitely pick up a very juicy peach cocktail or peach frozen drink that is heavy on the actual peach nectar and oh so yummy. The ambers start to come out on drydown and make this start to become even more wonderful. The foody quality is toning down to become very chic in a way. Like a very sexy woman who just happens to be imbibing a wonderful peach drink. For all those who were fans of Tamamo-no-Mae I highly suggest Aglaea. That same scrumptiously sexy peach scent that is also just a tad bit more. I am certainly holding onto this baby and doing some more comparing between the two. Very pretty. However, it’s a bit…sweltering and a little goes an awful long way.

Rating: 4/5

i already knew that i´ll smell mostly the peaches because my skin amps up fruits.

imp: smells very fruity, peachy & bright.

wet on skin: yes, peaches, juicy, ripe ones. i don´t like very fruity scents, but this one is nice, though.

drydown: i still get a lot of peach, but i most admit that i enjoy it. the peaches aren´t overwhelming, i think the amber (though i don´t really smell it) tames them a bit. this lasts very well, so it´s not very intense, just right.

now (after about 4 hours) i can finally smell a bit of amber. it´s a very round, soft amber that goes very well with the peaches.

result: at the moment i don´t find it to be full bottle worthy, but i got one imp with my first order & i´ve another imp on the way to me, so i won´t run out of this stuff very soon.

it´s great for autumn wear!

Aglaea-

In Bottle: Soft and fruity-citrus. The merest hint of powder.

Wet: Faint and sweet.

Dry: This is incredibly light--I'm not even sure I know it's there. There's a tiny pleasant sweetness present but that's it. I guess I suck this one up like crazy.

Overall: Almost undetectable.

This was my first BPAL love, but I haven't reviewed it until now. Aglaea is a soft bright scent on me that reminds me of sunshine and picking peaches with my family.

In bottle: peaches, yummy ripe peaches, still on the trees just waiting to be picked.

Wet on skin: still peaches on top, with something keeping it from becoming too sweet, maybe the musk or myrtle, but I can't really isolate it. This is a nicely blended scent.

Drydown: stays pretty much as it started, mostly lovely peach, but with added complexity and something keeping the sweetness in check. I don't get any amber that I recognize. Throw is very restrained and, unfortunately, it doesn't last as long as I would like. The scent is so lovely that it makes up for the short time it lasts :P I want to keep sniffing my wrist--like the first time I had it on I was driving one handed half the time because I kept needing to sniff :D Iwill always need a bottle of this in my collection.

imp: peach, touch of wine (now that I know it's there!)

wet: mmm, peach...

dry: the muskiness and the wine are making this sooo juicy

I love it. I was worried about the wine and the myrtle, but this is so lovely and divine. Peach is like an anti-depressant for me. I'm so glad I've found this scent! Bottle please!

In the imp: Oh my goodness, this was a beautiful scent. It actually brought tears to my eyes for a moment because it was so lovely. Very sweet, definitely redolant with peach, though I could also smell the warm tones of the musk and, I am assuming, amber around it as well.

Wet: Very sweet and peachy. The fruitiness and sweetness predominated.

Dry: The muskier tones come back, but the peach is definitely not to be undermined, and conquers all. It is *almost* a little cloying.

Verdict: I really like this scent, though I am almost thinking that it would be better as a room scent, as unfortunately I think it tends to get a little sour and cloying on me. :P I'll be willing to try more of it, though.

Bottle: Peach musk

Wet: Peach musk, and amber. Very sweet and ripe!

Drydown: Almost smells like fruity tea! I really like this!

3.5 outta 5

Edited by Honeygirl

Word of warning: I am biased and do not like sweet scents at all. This was a frimp with a bottle of my glorious Dragon's Claw.

In the bottle: WOW that's... sweet. And peary. I know the description says it's peach, but I'm getting pears. Strong pears.

Wet: Pears pears pears! It's like overscented lotion, it's too strong, it's terrible!

Drydown: This may be the wine part, but here I stunk like rotten pears. I'm all for trying to last at least an hour to get the full complexities of a scent, but this is just plain unpleasant. I washed it off and tried Dana O'shee instead, another frimp with much better results.

This scent got rave reviews from a lot of people, but we'll just say it was a bust and move on. Back to the sandalwood for me.

This was the only frimp in my most recent order that I had any desire to try. (All the rest were floral and rose. Bleah.)

Imp: I hardly smelled anything. Very faint something.

Wet: Still very faint; I had to put a ton on before I could smell anything.

Dry: This smells like B&BW mango mandarin body butter. After a while, more of the amber comes out, but it's still very mango-mandarin.

It's pleasant, and I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it, either.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh......

This is lovely. I have been working through the peach/apricot blends trying to find one that worked well, and I think we have a winner!!!!!

In the imp this is lovely fresh peach. It's very inviting. I want to slather it on right away.

Wet I get lots of peach and wine up close, and a waft of florals a little farther away. Perhaps the myrtle?

As it dries the amber definitely comes out, deepening the peaches. It's not a baking peaches kind of smell though, more like a peach candle -- but a delicious high-end peach candle.

When dry the peach and amber and floral edge have blended beautifully and now it's hard to pick out any notes. It's just a warm glowing spicy scent, edged with musk. GORGEOUS.

Oh yes, this is going on my big bottle list.

Best,

Tzi

In the imp: PEACHES. I feel like this should be a bold scrolling marquee, it's so peaches.

Wet: Ooh, I kind of like that. Now it smells like peach candy, kind of syrupy and not exactly artificial but not exactly 100% peach either, maybe some other juicy fruit. Also kind of has a kick to it; I've never had spiced peaches in syrup, but this is how I imagine they'd smell. I think that might be the musk.

Dry: not changing much. Wait, getting a little less aggressively sweet and foody. Is that the amber? I think it's progressing from "peach candy" to "peach wine", but it never quite makes it all the way there.

Overall, interesting! I think I'll keep this one, but probably not going to go for a 5ml. It's a very bright, summery scent.

Expectations: I desperately hope the peach dominates this scent, as I'm not crazy about musks and the last thing I tried with amber went powdery on me.

In vial: Musky peach.

On skin, wet: I notice the musk before the peach, but there's definitely peach there.

On skin, dry: Slightly aged peaches dusted with baby powder. Good throw.

After time: 20 minutes...wow, I actually like this. Instead of peaches with powder it's peach-scented powder. Strong but not overpowering. In the first hour, the amount of powderyness fluctuates, but it's a pleasant, subtle scent.

Conclusion: I'm surprised at how much I like this. I got frimped with it twice (once from the lab, once from a fellow LiveJournal user) and am definitely keeping at least one of them.

Peach, peach, and more peach! This is a fantastic scent for summer. The peach smells ripe and juicy, and there is the musk in the background. (I have no idea what amber and myrtle smell like, so I can't comment on those. :P ) This is a very uplifting scent, but it fades quickly on my skin. As long as I keep reapplying, it's wonderful. :D

Aglaea is delicious.

I get peach more than anything, but it isn't a one dimensional peach in the least. This is the first time I've really loved anything with amber in it, and the two notes compliment each other soooooooo well.

Big ripe juicy peach deepened by amber. I'll hang on to this imp and try it again when the weather is warmer...might have to be a bottle buy :P

In the imp: Peaches! Sweet, ripe, juicy peaches! :P

Wet on skin: Still peaches, but fainter and less sweet.

Initial drydown: The peach is still going strong, but it’s a little more musky now and I think the amber is starting to warm it a bit. The throw, when I get a whiff of it, is almost entirely peach, though.

Awhile later: I’m getting more amber now when I sniff my wrist. The peach is still there, adding some fruity sweetness. The throw seems a little stronger, too. I’m getting more whiffs of peach when I move my hands around.

Final thoughts: This puts me in mind of eating fresh peaches on a humid evening late in the summer. And while I'm not in love with it (at least not yet), I like it a lot. So I’ll probably keep the imp and decide if I want a bottle once I’ve finished it.

In the bottle: Almost citrusy peach.

Wet: Way fruitier, pink, almost bubblegummy, sweet grapefruity-peach. There is some warmth, doubtless from the amber, but I'd otherwise never think there was amber present. The musk is woefully light; barely detectable.

Dry: There is maybe a dash of the myrtle emerging, but barely. It's still strong, strong pure ripe peach. A very ripe, deep peach - not like the peach of Fae which I find lighter and less ripe.

Summary: Pretty much straight up, succulently ripe and fruity-sweet peach. Not usually my thing, but I have a weakness for peach, so I'll hang on to the imp for now and retry at some point.

I ended up parting with it, as I just don't do amber. Lovely scent though!

In the imp, this is peach wine with just a hint of amber.

On my skin, it's a beautiful rich peach - the wine-ness of it fades - with a foundation of amber.

When it dries, it's a great blend of peach, amber, musk - really nice.

this was the surprise hit of my imp testing today - for a sweet fruit and musk scent this is quite grown up thanks to the amber and myrtle!

in bottle: peaches!

wet on skin: sweet peaches and hint of musk and after a little while I spot amber right down the bottom.

bit later: this is a different amber to what I'm used to, at least combined with these notes it does seem 'golden'.

wow and there is the myrtle - this is gorgeous!

and it lasts really well

edit: actually, i have really like the excolo scents i have tried so far so it should not have really been a surprise hit :P

Edited by ladyver