Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

The first time I tried this, all I got was musk, musk, and more musk. I can only tolerate musk in tiny tiny doses and the musk smell was so overpowering, I almost washed it off. However, after coming and reading the reviews about how peachy this smells, I decided to give it another shot. I tried it on at a different hormonal time of the month to see if that made a difference. That time I still got the musk, but could smell the peach underneath it. The peach wasn't strong enough to cover the smell of the musk, so I'm afraid this one is going in my swap box.

Scent: Aglaea

In bottle:Sweet light green.

Wet: sugary sweet mixed florals and some creaminess, not a bit of fruit or wine on me.

Dry: less sugary (thank goodness), creaminess has gone away, making the sugar rounder in the process. Small flowers hiding around edges but not coming close enough for me to identify them.

Later: sweet cream florals. Not strong but still there ten hours later

Summary: nice enough, but not one I feel terribly drawn to on first sniff.

Mmmm.... "Splendor" indeed! This is a lovely scent. Very fitting to represent one of the Graces, and one I can definitely see myself reaching for frequently when the spring and summer months roll around again.

Lately I've gotten quite a few peach-based scents frimped to me from the lab with my orders and this is another one of those for sure. The peach and the musk are probably equally dominant for me. The peach makes this seem festive and merry while the musk deepens the blend and makes it seem almost opulent. I also smell the amber after this has been on a little while and that lends this a warmth and a sunniness that is quite cheering.

Overall this is a blend that makes me feel cheerful, beautiful, fresh, and elegant all at the same time, and that's a combination that spells a winner for me.

Just when I thought every single peach scent in the BPAL catalogue was going to break my heart (Fae, Tamora, etc.), along comes Aglaea to mend it. :P

This isn't warm or "fuzzy" like ripe peaches, but sweet like peach candy. I need gallons of this, so I can bathe myself in it.

Hail, the peach! And, to my astonishment, it doesn’t immediately smell like fake peach pastry syrup (which is what happened with Imp) but smells flowery and sweet around the peach. It’s still a touch artificial, but in a pretty way.

From moment to moment, I believe in this smell, fail to believe in it, and believe in it all over again. I don’t seem to have quite the right skin chemistry for BPAL peach, but this is good enough to be deceptive, especially at the moments when it shifts toward being a bit more perfumey-flowery and a bit less fruity. The amber top note and the musk underneath flesh out the peach and give it complexity. It doesn’t strike me as winey at all.

Most telling of all, I keep smelling my wrist because it’s pretty. I don’t know yet whether Aglaea will grow on me or lose my interest, but right now, I’m willing to give it a shot.

Peachy indeed on first application, then the amber kicks in and this goes very odd on me. It smells almost like pastry with a faint hint of peach. I get no florals at all. A strange one.

WOW! Peach!

In the bottle-just peach!

On wet--peach with a hint of soft amber behind

drying down--more amber, but the peach stays very strong

I put this on last night before bed and every time I woke up I could smell peaches.

The throw seemed very good and when I woke up today I could smell the musk beneath the amber with just a hint of the peach sweetening up the mix.

It has still hung in there until just now when I applied again to get a good "wet" scent so as to be accurate in my review.

I really like this one. Wasn't sure how I would feel about the peaches on....but it is summery and lovely! I think I'll save the rest of this one to wear later in the summer when it gets warmer.

**Edit**bought a big bottle of this one.

Edited by Bulletslc

Aglaea starts out peach wine. Its definately peach wine, not regular peach fruit, because its brighter, sweeter, and just a bit boozy. A little musk joins the peach then amber joins the musky peach on the drydown. Aglaea is a bright and cheerful scent and my favourite peach perfume, but only when its fresh. Once its aged, the myrtle comes out to make it sour and bitter.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Just as the description states, this is a bright scent. In the vial, I definitely smelled the peach, and a mild floral from the myrtle, along with a bright roundness that must be the ambers. I didn't detect the musk until late in the drydown. I was really excited about this because I've been on a quest for a really good peach scent. This was absolutely gorgeous on, staying true to the vial scent, wet and juicy, and then the beautiful musk. Unfortunately, on me it was a really close skin scent, and disappeared after about an hour. I would have loved it if it lasted longer and had more throw. An imp keeper, but no purchase, unless it lasts longer next time.

In bottle: bubblegum sweet, peachy, a hit of resin

Wet: Rich peach with a floral background.

Dry: Amber and peaches.

This perfume makes me happy. It's a rich, thick, heady, summertime fragrance. I *love* how the amber and the peach work together.

I see a bottle of this in my future :P

In the vial, this blend is a wet, musky peach.

Wet on the skin, it is pure peach wine! Sweet, golden, very fruity, and mildly alcoholic. After a few moments, the peach note is still the most prominent, though it is deepened under the influence of the musk and amber.

As drydown occurs, it remains predominately peach, again with a musky subtext. Once the blend has dried down completely and worn for a couple hours, it settles into a deeper state -- a gorgeous, golden-brown musky amber, with just the tiniest touch of fruit.

This one is so beautiful, I think it will be one of my favorites for a long long time.

In the imp, the peach is the dominant note. It reminds me a little bit of the wine we used to sneak and drink back in high school. I think it was called Boone's Farm.

Wet, peachy peach peach! I can detect a mild hint of the amber and a little bit of floral.

Dry- The peach settles into the amber nicely, a lingering dribble of sweet fruit. This one has excellent staying power, and has been co-worker approved as well. The boyfriend considers this one sexy and has given his stamp of approval as well.

I love you BPAL for creating a scent that reminds me of happier days of summer. :P

771445609_eav9V-Ti.jpg

Imp: This is so light and sweet in the imp, I almost didn't want to put it on but just enjoy it as it was. I could smell the amber, tempered by some floral notes, and there is peach there. It's not the bright sparkly peach juice, but more mellow -- the difference between juice and wine, I guess.

Wet: On first application, it's the same as in the imp. A few minutes in, the peach comes out a bit more.

Dry: This dries down in a very mellow way -- not too sweet, but mellow. The throw is very light, but I don't mind because it smells so good. It lasts about 2 hours before needing another application, and that's pretty good.

Verdict: It was so lucky for me that this was my frimp from a decant circle! I might eventually have tried it on my own, but this way I was happy sooner. This blend, named for one of the Three Graces -- Beauty, or Splendor -- truly lives up to its name, and it has joined my Big Bottle Want List.

Edited by stellans

Sweet, creamy, happy, peachy peach! I don't get much musk from this at first, and it doesn't really even have amber scent, except for giving it that gorgeous creaminess. It slowly fades into a light creamy musk. I don't get the myrtle at all, which is fine with me since it's so lovely how it is.

On imp: PEACH. Yes, there is that much peach in it that it deserved to be out on caps. It nearly made me retch, so I postponed trying it and the next time I tried smelling it, it was somehow more tolerable.

Wet: Still some major peach scent, but I'm catching a whiff of something floral.

Dry: All the peach action had gone and I can only smell a teeny bit of it, it's mostly the floral-y thing coming out. I'd really like to know what amber and/or myrtle smells like individually just to know. =\

Around 15 minutes after application, I was in the car with my mum and she was like, "what's your perfume? You smell like an old lady." I thought it was just her, but around 5 hours later, my co-worker passed by me closely and she was all "why do you smell like an old lady?"

So yeah. Definitely not a good scent on me. It's turned into a powdery old lady smell on me, and I'm thinking it much be the floral because Midnight had a similar sort of result with the turning into powdery thing.

I'm rather sad, because this was highly recommended too. Oh well.

Oh my goodness! This is a deliciously peachy fragrance – true to its description of peach wine because something definitely smells fermented. I get the hint of musk but the ambers are relatively light in this composition which I don’t mind at all as I was hoping this would be dominant with the peach. Fruity but still slightly floral. Wonderfully feminine. I look forward to trying this in the warmer weather – I tried it in winter but think it will be lovely once the weather gets warm as there is a definite summery vibe to this fragrance.

oh, this is great! the amber does NOT go powdery, ever, and the peach wine note is deliriously delicious. it's such a bright, sunny scent!

starts out with the very faint smell of those peach rings candy...

warms up on my skin and becomes stronger--yay, since my skin seems to eat most of the things i like---and smells first of this wonderful peach lipgloss i used to have that I loved and peach schnapps mixed with ginger ale that i drank one night in edinburgh years back...finally, it smells a little teensy bit bitter, like the way fruit tea tastes when you leave the tea bag to steep too long and a bit like lipstick, but not in a bad way.

mmmmm.

Fresh on, this smells super-peachy! A sweet, sugared peach, like peach jam. I think I detect a tiny note of green somewhere under there as well.

After about two hours, the amber and musk start to come out and soften this a little bit. It's adding some sophistication to what's otherwise a very childish blend (not in a bad way, in a fun and innocent way.)

In the vial (initial impression):

Wow, bubble gum and wine? What a curious sensation this is! *curious*

Initially on (wet):

The bubble gum breaks into other components, amber and myrtle and musk, and the peach wine lingers in the background. It's rich and lovely! Mm! For a moment I get a pinch of orange in there, for some bizarre reason.

Wearing it (dry):

10-20 mins after application, it has grown very spicy, with a soft background. The myrtle seems overwhelming.

20-30 mins later, the myrtle is still stinging my nose, but the other notes are coming through better.

An hour later, it is much softer and MUCH more pleasant. Mmm, peach and amber...

Finally:

I'll happily keep this one! ^^ Unsure of when I should use it, but... keeping!

The essence of innocent summer in a bottle. No, really.

Wet, this was all sweet peachy goodness, like biting into a ripe warm peach. I feared it would become a little cloying - and it did go through a short phase where it was as I feared, but as it dried, the amber bloomed up beneath it and turned it into a warm, sweet scent that lifted my spirits and made me smile.

Ahhhh.... I love peaches. But this is one of the scents I passed over, thinking that all that amber would turn into a powdery mess on me.

Oh, how wrong I was!

In the bottle, this smells just like peach schnapps. Yummy, fruity, boozy goodness. Upon application, the musk brightens the peach up for a few minutes, before the ambers come to the forefront. The first stages of drydown almost becomes powdery due to the prevalence of amber, but the peach is always faintly present in the backgound. In the end, the peach is once again the dominant note, but it's balanced with the ambers and is just enough to sweeten it up.

I really, really like this scent, and every stage of its progression.

In the imp: Peach, darkened by myrtle, but still bright.

On the wrist: PEACH!!!! And more peach. The myrtle is completely overshadowed and I get no sense of wine. I think the amber is intensifying the peach smell, giving it better throw. It's very, very fruity.

Dries down to a nice peach scent, that fades within the hour. 6.5/10 because it fades so quickly, which keeps it from sevenhood.

In the imp: peach and amber

Wet: Very peachy!

Drydown and wear: There is definitely golden amber here; like many others, I don't really pick up on the myrtle--until the oil's been on for about 20 minutes. The myrtle suddenly pops and it blends really well with the peach. The drydown with this is really quite lovely. Like a lot of the peach/apricot scents, I wish it were a bit stronger, but--like a lot of the peach/apricot scents--it is really beautiful.

When I first tried Aglaea -- many months ago; it's one of my most frequently worn scents -- I had no idea that Beth's musk, amber, and peach notes could do no wrong with my skin chemistry. By sheer chance, one of the first imps I ordered for myself was jaw-droppingly perfect.

Notes from very first wear: "peach is the first scent that pops out, but it's like a peach schnapps, with a feel of sunlight to it [possibly the amber]. A couple hours in, it has almost a sandalwood smell, but this is brief. Later, it smells as if my skin is SUPPOSED to smell like peach, and the musk makes it smell like part of my chemistry. The amber comes through, all warm and spicy, over the peach at the end of the day."

Current thoughts: so much love, especially having found more things that don't work on me. I'm anxious to try more peach scents, but I adore the mellow peach wine -- how it isn't the typical "peaches and cream" or "peach candy" fruit smell, but darker and richer. No, I no longer detect any sandalwood, but I also don't know what myrtle smells like, so WHO KNOWS. My guess is that the lingering hint of spice is Egyptian amber [faaaaavorite], though I'm glad it doesn't get too cinnamon-y. As much as I love spicy scents, I would hate for Aglaea -- she really does evoke a rich, rose-gold Splendour -- to turn into peach cobbler. Blessedly, she doesn't.

The colors of a sunset sky, encapsulated in scent. Amber. Peach. Gold. Splendour.

Perfect.