Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

I was hopeful for this one since I am an amber addict, but all i could smell was the peach, a nice peach, a strong peach but a peach.

In the Vial: Oh, this brings back memories! I adored Body Shop's Fuzzy Peach oil when I was young, and this is exactly what I remember of it. A bright, syrupy, tart yet sweet peach. Actually, it's more like the juice in canned peaches than the actual peaches. The amber and musk blend together really well in the background.

Wet: Goes sticky sweet for a few seconds, and then the wine part of the peach wine comes out to give this a slightly boozy feel.

Dry: I'm not exactly sure what myrtle smells like, but I think I'm smelling it, because this has gotten a little floral. And creamy.

An Hour Later: Pretty much the same: creamy, syrupy peach. Just hints of amber, wine, and myrtle in the background.

Overall: Nice, but I think I prefer the candy sweetness of Tamora when it comes to peach scents. I think I might have my first official deathmatch with these two!

This is very much a peach driven scent. Hints of a white wine (or grape-ishness) are in this but it's a light and bright wine, not a heavy one like reds tend to be. Very bright and glowing. I was hoping that the ambers would show up to the party and be more than wallflowers but that isn't happening. :(

In the imp: Straight up sweet peach preserves. Yummy!

Wet: Okay, now it smells like real peaches.. A soft amber and musk is underneath. LOVE it.

Dry: Peach with the slight warmth of amber. Oh my, I'm in love with this. It's light, summery, and elegant. Bottle-worthy for me.

Wet: Bright, juicy peach musk.

Dry: Oh, this is a beautiful scent! The peach is rich and juicy, lacking the sharpness that fruit notes can have. It blends wonderfully with the amber and musk for a warm scent that isn't sugary or very foodie. Kind of a grown up peach jam scent.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: Boozy and fruity, with a sort of powdery undertone. I'm not sure I've run into another scent that is powdery right from the bottle!

On skin, wet: The boozy note disappears and this is all peach with that powdery undertone (gotta be the amber).

On skin, dry: Still peach with a powdery undertone.

After an hour: The powdery note comes out more, but it's still very definitely a peach scent. I'd love something more like a fresh peach, but until I find that this is quite nice.

Wet: Sweet peach

Drydown: Juicy peach and sparkly musk. Bright and warm.

Dry: Musky peach.

I really like the peach note in this one - it has a good balance between sweetness and freshness. Overall this blend is a tad too musky for my tastes though. I'll stick with Fae as my go-to peach scent.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

I like this, and I don't like this. The peach note combined with the myrtle (I'm guessing) gives this a slightly under-ripe peach smell, which is made more pervasive by the musk. Musk is often used in detergents to make the scent "stick" better, and I think that's the vibe I'm picking up from the musk in Aglaea. It doesn't *smell* soapy, but it's triggering scent memories of soap and detergent. I love the amber base to it, though. I think that if I could get a muskless version of this, I'd be in love.

Oh, Aglaea. I love this golden, peachy, skin-musky scent. The amber is beautiful, and the peach adds complexity/depth to the glowing warmth while keeping the overall effect super-feminine. It is erotic, but also somehow innocent and young.

It smells like it's coming from you. Hard to describe, but it smells like it could be your actual skin scent--if you were a goddess. :wub2:

But Aglaea, at least on me, had absolutely no throw. My husband can hardly tell I'm wearing it, and if I put my wrist right under his nose, it is so faint that all he can smell is "flowers?"

If this was more noticeable, it may have been my signature scent. :cry2:

Edited by Opulence

In the imp: straight up peach, slightly boozy, barest hints of resin and myrtle.

Wet: Yup. Sticky sweet peach. Globs of it overripe, starting-to-ferment peaches. Extremely sweet and sticky. Smells like candy. As it dries, the musk and ambers show up a bit more.

Dry: A bit deeper and spicier due to the resins, but this stays a very very sweet candy peach on me. NOT my cup of tea!

In the imp: I'm getting the Hana-Kimi theme going around my head. PEEEE-AAACH!

Wet: Peach and amber.

Dry: Pretty much just sweet peach on me. Quite a lot like Jack but without the spices. It's very pretty, but just not ~me. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a peach scent!

In the imp: I am mainly getting the 'peach wine' note from this.

Wet: The peach is the most prominent note on my skin, and although I'm not a big fan of fruity blends, this is nice.

Dry: The peach wine is still the dominant note, but the ambers are definitely there in the background. I'm getting the musk as well and a bit of the wine note. I like this.

Verdict: Although I do not generally like fruit-dominant blends, this one is nice. (Also, it works well with the White Peach and Incense hair gloss!) I was hoping this would be more amber dominant, though! I won't be throwing a bottle into my order any time soon, but I will definitely keep my imp.

I have decided. Amber is my Holy Grail note. I find that it's less a distinct scent, and more...an overall effect on perfume. It warms everything up and gives it a soft glow. If a blend was sharp and headache-inducing before, amber softens it out. I love amber paired with anything. And BPAL happens to do a FANTASTIC peach note. It's so accurate and juicy and sweet on me that I've decided I simply MUST have a bottle of this....when I have money again. Where Forbidden Fruit (another favourite amber scent of mine) is a warm golden glow, Aglaea is a pink glow. Like the colour your fingertips turn when you press it against a flashlight that's on. I wore this to school, and absolutely could not concentrate on my English class because I was busy sniffing the air for more whiffs of beautiful peach.

Score: 10/10

ETA: Just after I posted this, I remembered what this scent reminded me of! I'd bought a bottle of peach-flavoured plum wine in Singapore before I left to come to America for university. My father hated it, because it was so sweet and fruity that it more resembled fruit juice than alcohol to him. But I simply loved it because I wasn't particularly attached to the taste of alcohol. It was perfect because it warmed me up and put me to sleep, and I didn't have to suffer through tasting alcohol to get the results. No wonder I love this perfume so much. Plum wine is my One True Love amongst alcohols.

Edited by BlueberryPie

Oh. My. YUM. It's absolutely gorgeous peach in the imp. It honestly makes me almost swoony. On me, it develops more complexity and I can smell something floral and almost lemony, which must be the myrtle. No musk or amber at this point, it's just a glowy, golden floral-fruit. Oh no! It's turned to rancid floor cleaner :( Actually, dirty mop water. Ugh, I loved this in the imp but it doesn't love me back.

Aglaea comes as the most viscous and dark-colored fluid of any BPAL fragrance I’ve tried. I swiped the wand across my wrist and was left with a swathe of color on the skin. So, I assumed this would be a very loud, heady scent. But it isn’t!

I guess Aglaea smells exactly as I should’ve imagined: deep, creamy muskiness kept from being overbearing by some brighter notes.

The peachy brightness gets stronger with wear but overall remains muted and musky. I wouldn’t say this is a fresh or juicy sort of peach. Also, I will firmly agree with Celrynnya when she suggests the musk may trigger scent memories of soap and detergent without lending an actual soapy or detergent quality to the fragrance. Like Opulence, I also experienced very little throw with this one.

If there’s anything Aglaea reminds me of, it would be the general category of fruity scents found in hanging car fresheners with the exception of anything “tropical”.

In the imp: Peach bubblegum. However, when I first sniffed the imp after it arrived several days ago, I got much more amber.

Wet: Juicy, sweet peach. As this dries, there’s a faint sharpness offsetting the peach, which I think must be the myrtle. Then that sharpness fades, leaving lovely peach. The amber becomes more apparent after an hour or so, and the musk becomes stronger the longer I wear this.

Despite the initial bubblegum impression, Aglaea is not as sweet a peach scent as Fae: I smell more actual peach, rather than peach candy. For a light scent, it has great throw: I applied only my usual couple of swipes of the imp want, and even while I’m just sitting reading I can smell this warm, peachy golden cloud hovering around me. Splendid, indeed. A perfect, happy spring and summer scent.

In the imp: PEACH. WINE. Everything else is there in the background, but pretty much all I'm sniffing is this heady & delicious peach wine! I've never had peach wine before, but I'm about 95% sure it's all I want to drink for the rest of my life!

Wet on skin: The ambers, musk & myrtle have come out to play more now, but the peach wine is still the main note. I think I'm in love!

Dry on skin: The peach wine has faded a lot & now I am sad. It's mainly an amber-note now, with everything else as support. It's still pretty, it's just not peach-wine-pretty.

After a few hours: Still mostly amber, but there's a bit more of the peach wine again!

Verdict: This is lovely & yet another one for the "upgrade to a bottle when I get a scent locket" list. It's still quite nice on my skin, but I'd use it a LOT more with a scent locket!

Testing some lap frimps I got with my last order.

In the imp: Does anyone here know what grape-flavored children's Tylenol tastes like? This has a definite Tylenol effect to it. Not the artificial grape as much as the bitterness of the medicine itself. I don't know what is causing this. I'm not sure what myrtle smells like, but if it's anything like acetaminophen, I'm out.

Wet on skin: I got brave enough to put this on my skin. Thankfully, the Tylenol note goes away pretty quickly. That's a relief. It keeps some slight bitterness behind the peach, but it quickly moves into very sweet, very syrupy peach.

Dry on skin: Still very sweet, very syrupy peach. This doesn't change much from wet to dry on me. I'm not really getting the booze. The amber is thankfully behaving on my skin and not turning to cheap crayons. It's a very warm, golden scent, like skin-warmed peaches on a summer afternoon. Maybe not fresh peaches though, more like peach syrup or peach jam.

Verdict: It's a really pretty scent. Not to my taste at all, but it's rather nice for someone who is into fruity scents. If you like really sweet fruit scents with a bit of natural skin muskiness and a warm, radiant golden effect, this is a winner. Well, once you get past the strange Tylenol scent when it's wet, but that went away within a minute or two.

This starts off powdered Pixie stick sweet, but mellows out quickly and becomes a sweet peach champagne note with a golden background. Very sweet, light and pretty.

This started off on me as a lovely golden peach, which rapidly disappeared and turned into something unpleasant that my SO described as "hamster mixed with New Age store".

Wet: Peach! Tart, syrupy peach! To me this is the same peach note from Jack, which I love. I thought there would be more complexity to this, but it's simply a lovely peach perfume, thus far.

Dry: This is actually starting to remind me of "Fuzzy Peaches" the sour candies. It smells good, just not really something I personally want to wear as perfume, I don't think.

oh, so very close. This is a luscious, sweet peach nectar for a solid 10 minutes, but then it fades to gross dusty musk. If it didn't sour on the drydown this would be a bottle for sure.

Oh my goodness, I love this. The peach wine is dominant. It actually reminds me of Arbor Mist Peach Chardonnay, which I drank in my early 20s because I didn't know any better. ;) So it has pleasant associations for me, AND it smells deliciously peachy. The amber gives it a little sexiness and depth. It's Fae's older, sexier cousin, and I adore Fae.

Rocking my Still Life with Peaches hair gloss at the moment, and it goes wonderfully with Aglea. This combo will be a go-to this summer during peach season here in Texas!